PDA

View Full Version : Selling Motorcycle - Test Rides?

Env-Consultant
03-20-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm selling my 2010 Kawasaki Versys on Kijiji and I'm just wondering if you guys have let people test drive your bikes in the past?

I did not register my bike this year, as I don't see the point of flushing money down the toilet due to the fact that I'm selling the biike. Same goes with insurance. Heated garage stored all its life.

With that said, is it unreasonable to expect someone to spent $5000ish without test driving a bike? It's a 2010 and in awesome shape - very unlikely to have issues given it's age, but I kind of see where someone might be scared of going down that road.

On the flip side, I could say okay, I'll register it, give me $5000ish, show me your valid insurance, let them take the bike, say if you crash it - the money is mine, don't come back - the money is mine, etc. - but I'd rather they look at it, we fire it up, etc. and they pay for it and go. I know not everybody is honest, but I'm the type of guy that would tell somebody if something was mechanically wrong and/or get it fixed if it needed to be. This bike is in awesome shape and has nothing mechanically wrong with it.

Thoughts? I priced it aggressively so the ball is in my court WRT to not having to suck off (so to speak) prospective buyers - i.e. if I don't like to person I can tell them where to go and how to get there, then set up an appointment with the next person. Absolutely hate Kijiji because of all the tards that want something for nothing. They shall feel my wrath during this sale... :rofl:

Thanks for any info/advice!

BrknFngrs
03-20-2014, 10:31 PM
I usually post in my ad that test rides require a deposit equal to the full asking price; also seems to weed out time wasters :thumbsup:

Modelexis
03-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Not sure this helps, but when I bought my bike I didn't ride it at all but I did ask that the owner take it down to a local bike shop to have it inspected by a technician at my expense.

You might be able to sell it to someone without riding or having it inspected but any smart person will be asking for an inspection. So you may have to look at options to either transport it to get an inspection...

Env-Consultant
03-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Awesome, thanks for the answers.

I could go through the hassle of getting registration/insuring it, but I could also load it up in my truck. Honestly though, I don't know if I could justify loading it up, delivering it to a shop (likely across the city), unloading it, getting the inspection done (likely not right when I drop it off), having the go back at a different point in time to pick it up, haul it home.... too much of a headache. I'd probably just sell it to somebody else for less money. I might regret that if a day comes when I need money to pay my mortgage, but that day isn't today :thumbsup:

Again, thanks for the info/answers - hopefully I find someone who has a bit of faith in humanity and doesn't think I'm a straight up swindler.

e31
03-20-2014, 11:00 PM
I would expect that the test-drivee would at least have SEF 27 (coverage extended to non-owned vehicles) on their auto policy. However since the bike is not registered it should not be on the road anyway (or even parked at the curb).

Env-Consultant
03-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by e31
I would expect that the test-drivee would at least have SEF 27 (coverage extended to non-owned vehicles) on their auto policy. However since the bike is not registered it should not be on the road anyway (or even parked at the curb).

It's parked in my heated garage.

In theory your auto-coverage point makes sense, but I would need to verify their insurance actually covers that AND is actually active. Pain in the ass.

300zxfairlday
03-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Ive sold and bought many bikes , never without a test drive. But yes all have handed me full asking price before the test drive and ive done the same. Why would some random person thats never met you trust you when you say all is good?

ercchry
03-21-2014, 10:03 AM
i've never had an issue with test rides either way.... as long as they have their class 6 and its not their first bike... but yeah i've also never taken off coverage before selling a bike... its so cheap :dunno:

but why not just put it on consignment at a reputable shop? then they can deal with it all... and can do inspections and what not for interested parties...

carson blocks
03-21-2014, 10:10 AM
I usually don't allow test rides unless it's a dirt bike/dual sport or something that already has some drop damage, but will budge from that policy if I get a sense that the person is an experienced, skilled rider and someone that would make it right if something happened (not that often). Usually I offer that they can have it inspected by anyone, or that after the sale is done and they come back with their plates, we can go for a ride together and if there are any problems with the bike, I'll refund their money and tear up the bill of sale.

Env-Consultant
03-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
i've never had an issue with test rides either way.... as long as they have their class 6 and its not their first bike... but yeah i've also never taken off coverage before selling a bike... its so cheap :dunno:

but why not just put it on consignment at a reputable shop? then they can deal with it all... and can do inspections and what not for interested parties...

I hear what you're saying, but whether I have coverage or not shouldn't be an important point - the last thing I want is my insurance covering anything/being involved with some dummy destroying my bike (i.e. I would want their insurance to 100% cover everything); that is, if I didn't have the full purchase value in hand that I could simply just keep and not worry about the bike again.

It's not super cheap - mine is about $350/year and expired in September; given that I was planning on selling it and it's garage stored, I didn't really see the point.

Either way, some good suggestions/information from everybody - really appreciate it.

Thx!

civic_stylez
03-21-2014, 10:57 AM
I dont allow test rides. Its just a nightmare waiting to happen. I make sure to go through the bike with the buyer and show that everything is in good working order.

revelations
03-21-2014, 01:38 PM
If I was selling a MINT condition, > 10,000$ bike, no test rides without cash.

I tend to buy/sell used bikes so the prices typically is <5000$ and they already have some pre existing cosmetic (or previous owner) issues.

I may ask for cash if the buyer is some kid with no other gear except a lid.

khanan
03-22-2014, 11:17 PM
I personally ignore kijiji calls, emails and any type of contact that people try to make through the ad. I give them ridiculous times, say 10 pm at night or 6 in the morning. No one barely replies, and the ones that do never come to test drive it.

I have priced my bike way higher than the average asking price, just because I don't want to sell it at all. I am being forced to do so, against my will.

So yeah that puts test drives out of the question.

If I was serious about selling my bike, I would let them test drive it as long as they paid at least 2-3k. So, I might be able to cover any damages from the buyer. If that day ever comes.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/images/6846694.jpg

Env-Consultant
03-23-2014, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by khanan
I personally ignore kijiji calls, emails and any type of contact that people try to make through the ad. I give them ridiculous times, say 10 pm at night or 6 in the morning. No one barely replies, and the ones that do never come to test drive it.

I have priced my bike way higher than the average asking price, just because I don't want to sell it at all. I am being forced to do so, against my will.

So yeah that puts test drives out of the question.

If I was serious about selling my bike, I would let them test drive it as long as they paid at least 2-3k. So, I might be able to cover any damages from the buyer. If that day ever comes.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/images/6846694.jpg

???

codetrap
03-23-2014, 08:07 AM
I rarely allowed test rides. The exception was the one old guy who came with a pocket full of cash and was ready to buy. I don't know for sure, but I image there's all sorts of liability issues, especially if something mechanical goes wrong and causes the crash, and I just didn't want to get into it. All the bikes I bought, I just requested to see a mechanical inspection/service history from a reputable garage, and they all had them. This was only really important when I bought my FJR, as it already had 42k on it. The full history was at GW, so I just talked to them about it.

The insurance question though.. if you're insurance is like mine, I pay it all during the summer riding 6 months, and then the winter months the policy remains in force but they don't charge me. Not having insurance, even if it's parked, is not a good idea. If something happens to your house, or you have a garage fire, or it gets stolen, you're SOL.

Ven
03-23-2014, 08:10 AM
The closest I'll get to test drives are taking the guy with me on a ride. Though usually they're good if they follow behind me or watch me ride it around the street for them.

I've had a few guys walk away in a huff because I wouldn't let them ride my bikes, but they always seem to sell anyway. Some fool got all indignant and righteous walking away from a "guaranteed sale man" when I denied a test ride on a Hayabusa I was selling. Not a fucking chance haha.

ddduke
03-23-2014, 10:08 AM
I won't buy without a test ride or inspection and I own/owned a ton of bikes (see post pics of your bike thread). But when I buy I also show up with a helmet, show my class 6, and come with cash to cover the cost of bike. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a test ride if you're buying a bike as long as you're capable of riding it and can afford it. But at the same time I won't even bother riding it unless it's a condition of the sale, if the bike doesn't look the way I expect then I won't even waste my time.

I won't let people ride my bike if they're looking at 10 different bikes and want to ride mine just to see if they like the feel of that specific one.

I bought a bike a while ago without a test ride and was assured it ran perfectly, when I rode it home it turned out second gear was roasted and under any sort of heavy throttle it would slip right out, never letting that happen to me again.

2BLUE
03-23-2014, 11:15 AM
I have always test rode a bike I'm buying. Even just down the street and back.

Graham_A_M
03-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Id request the full asking price in cash, and make that well known to them before they come down to take a look at it. Otherwise no test rides. That way if they want to just ride off with the bike, or crash it, go ahead! I already have the money so zero fucks will be given.

Sounds cold, but when I was 22, I had some hippie couple try to drive off with my '72 Chevelle (long story as to how that happened). I had to chase after them on my sportbike to get them to stop.... so ever since that whole experience, I will not hand over the keys unless I know they'll be back to sign the paperwork or whatever else.

Either that, or I'll take the bike out myself and put it through the paces while they follow me in their own car, but without the cash in hand, nobody is taking my bike out and risk crashing it. I dont care if that bothers them or not, its just security for me, and if you can properly explain that, then there wont be much of an argument, since its quite well justified.

The problem with letting people test ride your bike? Is unless you have a Pagani at your disposal to chase them down with, if they smack it or decide to ride off with it, there isn't much you can do.... so I just dont allow that to happen. Sometimes I'll ask for the keys to their car, pink slip for it and wallet (minus drivers license) of the person wanting to take it for a spin, but absolutely no less.

Kanto_Terrors
03-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Id request the full asking price in cash, and make that well known to them before they come down to take a look at it. Otherwise no test rides.

+1

Masked Bandit
03-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by e31

Be careful here, this won't work for two reasons being 1) The SEF 27 only applies to private passenger vehicles (cars, mini-vans, SUVs, etc.) and not recreational vehicles like a motorcycle and 2) The SEF 27 only triggers when the other vehicle is being used under the terms of a written agreement (like a rental contract from a rental agency).

Basically the SEF 27 is only for use when talking about rental cars.

As for the OP's actual question, I have always allowed test rides and I will only buy with a test ride. With that said I haven't had to deal with punk kids looking at my bikes either so that might change my mind if I ran into that situation.

bjstare
03-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Whenever I've sold, I only let one bike go for a test ride without deposit, and it was already a rebuilt title (i.e. not mint). Other times, no test ride without deposit of asking price in hand. Bikes are too easy to crash, and it's just not worth the potential headache.

As a buyer, never had one inspected. Bought one without test ride or inspection (all of them sport bikes). It's really easy to tell if a bike's been taken care of; if you know what to look for, there's not a lot an inspection will be able to tell you that you can't assess in 5 mins.

quick_scar
03-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Whenever I have test rode a bike I have always approached the seller with full asking price in cash before the test ride to show that I am serious and not just out for a joy ride. I think it gives the seller some assurance that I am not trying to pull a fast one.

As for selling experience, both times have been in the middle of winter so no test rides.

Kanto_Terrors
07-25-2015, 07:53 PM
Thank goodness for this thread. I almost started a similar one.

My policy is Don't care what you look like, NO CASH NO TEST RIDES.

That's how I bought my first bike, which I sold the same way and the buyer did not have any issues with it.

But today I met with a potential buyer (I'm currently selling an R6) who wanted to test ride the bike but I didn't let him since he didn't have the cash or a certified cheque. He said he had the cash in the car but didn't show it. I also said I actually prefer certified cheque as cash can be counterfeited even the new ones. As soon as I said that, his wife or gf was not so happy and immediately went inside their car and stopped talking to me. I felt bad for not letting him test ride the bike, so I apologized to the guy, who was quite nice about the whole thing. His girl on the other hand was not so forthcoming to begin with and even more so after.

Maxx Mazda
07-25-2015, 10:52 PM
So, let's say I'm buying the bike you have for sale listed at $8000. I give you $8000 cash, and take it for a ride. After a ride I discover the clutch is a little more worn than I'd like it to be, and it needs a new chain. I decide to offer you $7400 instead. What's stopping you from keeping all $8000 and telling me to pound sand?

Graham_A_M
07-25-2015, 10:59 PM
^ethics. Conversely, I know what a bike (or anything else) may need. So I work that into the price if it does in fact need work. If a bike was let's say worth $8k, as if it was in great shape, but it needed some work, the price would be lowered accordingly to reflect that. In the event someone had an issue with the revised price, I'd discuss it with them if need be. If no agreement can be made, he's free to walk away, I don't care. :dunno:

^ that's just me though, others can be different obviously

Kanto_Terrors
07-26-2015, 12:12 PM
^^could not agree more. thanks.

I wouldn't sell anything if I knew something was wrong with it. If there was, I make sure I disclose those facts because I don't want any post transaction nightmares. If the buyer finds that the bike is not in the condition that I think it's in. I will reduce the price if I agree or refuse the offer, give the money back, take my bike to my mechanic and get an expert opinion.

You can tell a lot, if not more, about a bike by inspecting it rather than riding it. If you need a reasonable assurance that the bike is in good condition, have an inspection done before proceeding with the sale.