PDA

View Full Version : Extra RAM or SSD for a laptop

Manhattan
03-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Need some advice on picking between 2 laptop/ultrabooks. FS and the Lenovo website both offer nearly the identical Yoga 2 Pro. FS version has 8GB RAM but only 128 SSD drive. Lenovo site has 4GB RAM but twice the SSD storage ($1,129 model). Only $30 difference in price so I'm not worried about that. Will twice the RAM make much of a difference or would you take the extra SSD storage?

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/ideapad/yoga/yoga-2-pro/

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-lenovo-yoga-2-13-3-touchscreen-ultrabook-silver-intel-core-i5-4200u-128gb-ssd-8gb-ram-windows-8-1-yoga-2-pro/10273086.aspx?path=d0746edea9a89d51f9bda56786230d7fen02

firebane
03-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Take the SSD you'll notice that more than you'll notice extra ram especially on a laptop.

quick_scar
03-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Do you need the extra SSD storage?

What will this laptop be used for? The extra RAM is nice when running multiple programs. The extra SSD storage is nice if you plan to carry a bunch of music and video and stuff with you.

If you think 128 will be enough, get the extra RAM.

**EDIT: See me latest post. RAM is soldered on. What you get now is all you will ever have. SSD on the other hand CAN be upgraded down the road.**

quick_scar
03-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by firebane
Take the SSD you'll notice that more than you'll notice extra ram especially on a laptop.

They both have SSD drives from what he said. One is just larger then the other so the speed boost from SSD is already there.

firebane
03-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Even still I'd take the extra SSD space. They don't like to get filled up and should always have 25% allocated to free space.

DeleriousZ
03-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Go for the extra ssd storage, ram is easy to upgrade usually.

spike98
03-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

Second

DeeK
03-21-2014, 10:40 AM
If you're looking for an overall speed boost, the SSD will almost always be a much bigger difference than the RAM.

pheoxs
03-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Thirded. Take the ssd space. Take it to memory express and get more ram for it (if you're uncomfortable you can get them to install it but there should be an expansion slot on the bottom of the laptop, undo the screw replace or add the stick a ram and done)

quick_scar
03-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Everyone needs to do some more research before commenting. (myself included)

The RAM in the Yoga 2 is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be upgraded. What you buy now is all you can ever have basically. (memex cannot just install a larger stick)

As for the SSD. It takes an MSATA drive. If you find 128GB is not enough in a year or 2 you CAN buy a larger drive and put it in the machine.

Go with the higher RAM now and worry about HHD space later.

quick_scar
03-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

Not on most ultrabooks these days. Soldered directly to motherboard.

Originally posted by pheoxs
Thirded. Take the ssd space. Take it to memory express and get more ram for it (if you're uncomfortable you can get them to install it but there should be an expansion slot on the bottom of the laptop, undo the screw replace or add the stick a ram and done)

See my comment above. No expansion slot that I could see in the manual. RAM is soldered in.

Manhattan
03-21-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm a pretty light user in terms of CPU and RAM power. Mostly just music and movies so I think the extra SSD space works better for me. Probably won't even notice the extra RAM. Thanks :thumbsup:

quick_scar
03-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
I'm a pretty light user in terms of CPU and RAM power. Mostly just music and movies so I think the extra SSD space works better for me. Probably won't even notice the extra RAM. Thanks :thumbsup:

Just remember, the RAM choice is one you have to live with, the SSD can be upgraded in the future for less the $1/GB (at today's prices and they keep getting cheaper year over year)

supe
03-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Pretty obvious, if you need lots of space then go for SSD if not ram. These days online storage is the way to go, or even an external drive. I myself would go for the RAM.

DeleriousZ
03-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by quick_scar

Not on most ultrabooks these days. Soldered directly to motherboard.

Then people should stop buying ultrabooks, that's fucking stupid :whipped:

faiz999
03-21-2014, 01:20 PM
SSD for sure!