PDA

View Full Version : Happy 65th Newfoundland in Canada.

ZenOps
03-23-2014, 09:21 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_and_Labrador

"A former colony and dominion of the United Kingdom, Newfoundland and Labrador became the tenth province to enter the Canadian Confederation on March 31, 1949, as Newfoundland.

The first referendum took place on June 3, 1948; 44.5% of people voted for responsible government, 41.1% voted for confederation with Canada, while 14.3% voted for Commission of Government. Since none of the choices had gained over 50%, a second referendum with only the two more popular choices was held on July 22, 1948. The official outcome of that referendum was 52.3% for confederation with Canada and 47.7% for responsible (independent) government."

End of the month. Pensioners probably remember when newfies were not a part of Canada, *cough* pensioners might have wished they never became a part of Canada.

ExtraSlow
03-23-2014, 09:57 AM
I work with a guy who was born in Newfoundland before that date. His birth certificate identifies him as a citizen of a British Colony. He is now a citizen of Canada.

Type_S1
03-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Yay, transfer payments and unemployment recipients!

Kuba83
03-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Guess that explains all the British flags throughout the island. Been here for two years and did not know that.

Supa Dexta
03-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Yay, transfer payments and unemployment recipients!

Welcome to 2008 dipshit

Nov 03, 2008
N.L. off equalization

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/have-not-is-no-more-n-l-off-equalization-1.698924

Type_S1
03-23-2014, 10:40 AM
^ but how many years did they recieve it?

Also the social welfare and unemployment that province has is out of control. Fisherman scamming the system and loving it.

Seth1968
03-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Nov 03, 2008
N.L. off equalization

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/have-not-is-no-more-n-l-off-equalization-1.698924

In its April budget, the Newfoundland and Labrador projected that it would come off equalization, a federal program that ensures comparable levels of public service are provided across the country...

Unless your name is Quebec.

Tik-Tok
03-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
^ but how many years did they recieve it?

Also the social welfare and unemployment that province has is out of control. Fisherman scamming the system and loving it.

Yeah, because seasonal oil field workers in Alberta don't scam E.I. at alllll.

J-D
03-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, because seasonal oil field workers in Alberta don't scam E.I. at alllll.

Yup.

I know someone who does this, and he makes way more on EI when production is slow than he would working two jobs back home in Calgary.

It's a bit of a no brainer for him I guess, but irritating to normal folks who pay into EI all of their lives and have to jump through hoops just to use it for a month in a lifetime while some people take it every year and don't even try to find work.

r3ccOs
03-23-2014, 11:28 AM
litigation better come soon...

At the end of the day, if you work a "seasonal" job, you going in knowing you're working for a portion of that fiscal year.

find another job scum

"but but but... who is going to give me 4 months off to go fishing?"
um teachers work "seasonally" and seem to make it work, so make it work