PDA

View Full Version : new grad civil eit, reasonable offer?

MooseJawian
03-23-2014, 04:03 PM
thank you guys for the input!i have deleted the post!

FraserB
03-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Yes that's reasonable.

XylathaneGTR
03-23-2014, 04:10 PM
I think 70k + benefits is pretty reasonable for a new grad.
IMO, your previous technologist experience won't be reflected in your pay, but it may have made you a more attractive hire and may open you up to more responsibilities and opportunities to prove yourself earlier on.

If you like the line of work, I'd go with it.

mo_money2supe
03-23-2014, 04:11 PM
I was probably 3 years post-graduation before I made that money as a civil EIT. So yes, I'd say $70k is MORE than reasonable, even given your tech background.

themack89
03-23-2014, 04:13 PM
If you aren't working for an O&G as an Engineering graduate in this town, I'd say 70k is great.

Darkane
03-23-2014, 05:27 PM
70k is great. By the sounds of it next year you'll be seeing 80+

tch7
03-23-2014, 05:28 PM
I'd say that's good for consulting. The newish EITs that have worked on my projects recently are closer to the $65k mark, which is consistent with APEGA's salary survey as well. Consulting is definitely one of the lower paid industries, but great for getting more diverse exposure.

My observation is that the job market is in bad shape. At my company (one of the biggest civil consulting firms), 2014 has been off to a very rough start, particularly in the transportation area. Very little work coming down from the government, hence quite a few departures, layoffs, and an office closure. There are lots of potentially huge projects that are out there in the conceptual stage (both publicly and privately funded), but the triggers aren't being pulled yet.

I always keep an eye on job postings, and have been seeing relatively few job postings in general for the civil EIT/junior level. Still some reasonable opportunities that pop up, but you can't be as picky as in years past.

Prail
04-11-2014, 10:41 PM
What are typically the higher earning potential for Civil engineers?

ExtraSlow
04-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Anyone looking at Engineering Salaries should take a look through the "value of professional services" report that APEGA puts out. It's updated yearly, accurate, and a large sample size.

Asking the question on teh interwebs is never going to get you any data that is more useful than that report.

Disoblige
04-13-2014, 01:20 AM
Holy shit, congrats on graduating. Good luck in your career.