PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy in Sunnyside?

Maggie
03-23-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm looking at buying an inner city home, and Sunnyside is one of the best locations for me. Close walk to work, easy access to Crowchild and Deerfoot, close to good restaurants on Edmonton Trail, and close to the river. The downside is, it's close to the river. Knowing Sunnyside was one of the areas hit hardest by floods last year, would you risk buying there knowing you could be facing a potential complete reno the next time another 100 year flood decides to turn Sunnyside into a swimming pool again?

TomcoPDR
03-23-2014, 08:14 PM
i wouldn't let something out go my control dictate where it live
:confused: :confused:

Maggie
03-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Corrected! iPhone autocorrect owned me.

GTS4tw
03-23-2014, 08:23 PM
I voted don't mess with mother nature. It is nice to have the peace of mind that you will never have to worry about that kind of thing. As we saw last time, even if a neighborhood close to yours is affected it can cause you to be evacuated.

max_boost
03-23-2014, 08:30 PM
lol Maggie super og 2002. which regular beyond user is this haha

i wouldn't do sunnyside. what about bridgeland????

rob the knob
03-23-2014, 08:35 PM
house type building or apartment type condominium?

TomcoPDR
03-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Maggie
Corrected! iPhone autocorrect owned me.

Ah sorry.

I don't think it's worth the risk. Just because last flood was 100 years ago, but now the 2013 changed the flood lines. And with climates changing, you just never know.

Toma
03-23-2014, 09:43 PM
That kind of flood will ever happen again.

The "clog" has been removed, the downstream carrying capacity of the river has been GREATLY enlarged....

You will be ok.

Toma
03-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Mind you, I suck at odd's.

I bought a main level condo on a Golf Course in the US. Second year I owned it, massive rain flooded the Golf course, they had a drain system, but it was overwhelmed. People that lived in the area 30 years said they had NEVER seen it that bad.

So, $6k in repairs, and presto, it happened again 42 days later! lol!!! Another $12k! (Hasn't happened since, fingers crossed lol!)

msommers
03-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Toma

The "clog" has been removed, the downstream carrying capacity of the river has been GREATLY enlarged....

You will be ok.

Yeah just... No.

CanmoreOrLess
03-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Unless your name is Noah and you have some large wooden ship experience, I'd avoid the worry of another flood. I'd not buy, when it comes to reselling the place you will reduce your potential buyer market by fifty percent on perception alone. People like me having zero interest in a possible flood home/cond.

jsn
03-24-2014, 12:44 AM

And you know this how exactly? Can you predict the amount of rainfall we will have in the upcoming years? :rolleyes:

I personally wouldn't touch it. Yes, you may possibly never run into issues as long as you own it, but I would rather have that peace of mind and not constantly worry about the next time.

FraserB
03-24-2014, 12:59 AM
Considering that wasn't a 1 in 100 year flood, I wouldn't be living there when the next flood hits.

Lex350
03-24-2014, 07:16 AM
I will never live in a flood plain.

BigMass
03-24-2014, 08:22 AM
a lot of Sunnyside isn't in the flood plain and didn't get flooded. Further east it did but closer to 10th st it didn't.

Tik-Tok
03-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
a lot of Sunnyside isn't in the flood plain and didn't get flooded. Further east it did but closer to 10th st it didn't.

It sure looked flooded to me :rofl:

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2013/07/14/hi-floodmapcalgary.jpg

But back to OP, yes I would buy in Sunnyside. You should think about your insurance rates before you put an offer in on property though.

speedog
03-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Problem with that map is it's not entirely accurate - I personnally know of four houses in a row in one of the blocks shown as pink that were completely dry. But they are still being shown as flooded which to this day is having all sorts of negative implications for the couple that I know that owns these four homes.

Mitsu3000gt
03-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by BigMass

A family member lives 1 block off memorial in sunnyside, in a below-ground condo, and there was zero flooding on his street or in his building. There were lots of places there that didn't get flooded.

Feruk
03-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Your poll is wrong. It is totally in your control. I might buy a condo a few stories up, but wouldn't touch a house in this area.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
You should think about your insurance rates before you put an offer in on property though.
But you can't get flood insurance. :dunno:

Tik-Tok
03-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

But you can't get flood insurance. :dunno:

Doesn't stop insurers from raising rates in flood affected areas. Especially for sewer back-up, which is what most (smart) people claimed for damages.

kaput
03-24-2014, 09:03 AM

rage2
03-24-2014, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by kaput
Was the flooding in Sunnyside overland? I thought it was caused by the storm water system backing up because they didn't open the gates?
That was the 2nd flood. The first flood was overland. Sunnyside got hit twice.

a social dsease
03-24-2014, 09:24 AM
I would not buy in Sunnyside. Lots of other places to live with no risk of flooding.

Maggie
03-24-2014, 02:27 PM
I'm looking at a house, not a condo. By the looks of it, it was right in the middle of the overland flood area, though whether the house actually did suffer from overland flooding has yet to be confirmed.

There's lots of questions that need to be asked to the seller before next steps are even considered, but this area of downtown is looking more and more like it's going to have to be a pass.

Sorath
03-24-2014, 09:59 PM
just bought a house 1 block away from flooding, not sure if its considered in floodzone, but according to the flood map it didnt get flooded. Personally i would if its an older house. if it does flood again, all the more reason to demolish and rebuild a new house. btw land value has not decreased since the flood but as appreciated. :dunno:

edit - also another thing to consider. my home insurance increased from $550/year to ~ $1900/year

Maggie
03-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Just found this. This pic was taken probably 3 or 4 houses down from the house I'm currently looking at, which makes this decision easier now.

http://wpmedia.o.canada.com/2013/06/cal062113-gya-7_27415579.jpg

Neil4Speed
03-25-2014, 08:18 AM

You will be ok.

Source on the "clog" removal?

I'm skeptical as the two geoscientists on this site are saying otherwise haha.

Tik-Tok
03-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I'm skeptical as the two geoscientists on this site are saying otherwise haha.

If you asked the same two guys 2 years ago what the likely hood of Sunnyside flooding, they probably would have given a near zero percent chance, lol. But 1:1000 is still a chance.

I'm no geoscientist, but I'm sure it will flood again at some point in our lifetime, but I wouldn't let it scare me, and you now have the knowledge of what will happen during a flood, so prepare against one. Automatic generator, multiple sump pumps, increase the exteriors waterproofing, etc. etc.

CapnCrunch
03-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I don't know how you expect to find a source more reputable than Toma?

msommers
03-25-2014, 02:06 PM

If you asked the same two guys 2 years ago what the likely hood of Sunnyside flooding, they probably would have given a near zero percent chance, lol. But 1:1000 is still a chance.

I'm no geoscientist, but I'm sure it will flood again at some point in our lifetime, but I wouldn't let it scare me, and you now have the knowledge of what will happen during a flood, so prepare against one. Automatic generator, multiple sump pumps, increase the exteriors waterproofing, etc. etc.

I've said this before but the "100 year flood" that everyone seems to equivocate to as this thing that happens as a reoccurring theme with some sort of predictability actually has the same chance of happening every year. But hey, I'm just one guy, so here's a challenge: go to the UofC Geoscience Department and take a poll of professors and ask who would live in Sunnyside or Mission. If you want one of their opinions widely available, just google Jerry Osborn.

I took a Surficial Geology course with him, and one of the lab assignments was to delineate the last major flood area on a current Calgary map. I should try to see if I can dig that up and scan it. Basically everywhere that got flooded on my assignment, that I can recall, were the same areas that actually got flooded. Shocking I know.

There's nearly a dozen other geos on this site that I can think of, maybe they feel differently but I honestly can't see that being the case.

Sunnyside is a beautiful community, it's location is fantastic. So are Elbow Park and Britannia. But to allude that they come with no risk is absurd. I'm not that risk adverse to live there, that's not saying the community sucks or anything along those lines. But zero chance of those homes ever seeing flood damage again as Toma suggests? Dream on.

As for your second remark, look at High River. People don't learn shit and that place floods all the time!

Toma
03-25-2014, 02:35 PM
My understanding is the river backed up from a problem downstream. The floods widened the river significantly in those areas, thereby significantly increasing it's carrying capacity. That's what a buddy of mine that lives in High River told me, he was involved with town council.... old retired engineer, now a hot rodder.

No idea if it's true, but the pictures he showed me did show massive erosion and widening in a few areas.

Like I said, no idea, just what I was told, and made perfect sense.

rage2
03-25-2014, 03:09 PM

You will be ok.

No idea if it's true

Like I said, no idea
Gotcha. :rofl:

I'll put it into car terms for you. You have a charge pipe that sits in an engine bay, and air flows through that charge pipe. You increase the airflow by 5x, and you retrofit a pipe that's twice as large to handle the airflow, and the pipe needs to overlap the engine for it to work properly.

The airflow is the water. It was 5x of what normal water flow was.

The pipe is the river, and naturally expanded due to erosion.

The engine is the community of Sunnyside. So for the same flow to work properly, it has to pass through parts of the engine, so the water flows through Sunnyside.

So, in order to fix the problem, you can redirect excess airflow (waterflow) prior to the charge pipe (bow river) so you don't have to expand the charge pipe. Or you can use a bigger charge pipe (bow river), but relocate it so it doesn't interfere with the engine (Sunnyside).

To divert the airflow, you can use a BOV upstream of the airflow. In waterflow terms, it's this:

http://alberta.ca/calgary-bow-river-basin.cfm

You can't really relocate a bigger charge pipe (bow river).

Unfortunately, mother nature controls the boost, so you can't control how much airflow (waterflow) is going to come down the pipe in the future.

ExtraSlow
03-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Any widening and deepning of the channel will be filled in within a few years due to the natural movement of material. The River's carrying capacity isn't permanently increased.

heavyD
03-25-2014, 03:17 PM
I would buy. Don't worry about the flood as Druh Farrell's always funneling city money into projects to raise property values and aid her side endeavors.

Tik-Tok
03-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by msommers

As for your second remark, look at High River. People don't learn shit and that place floods all the time!

Yeah, but that's High River... where 1/3 of the population commute to Calgary and thinks they're saving money by buying a slightly cheaper house an hour drive away.

Anyone affording a house in Sunnyside, should have the money and brains to be adequately prepared for the next time.

msommers
03-25-2014, 04:01 PM

Yeah, but that's High River... where 1/3 of the population commute to Calgary and thinks they're saving money by buying a slightly cheaper house an hour drive away.

Anyone affording a house in Sunnyside, should have the money and brains to be adequately prepared for the next time.

By that logic, no one in Britannia or Elbow Park would have been affected as they've witnessed flooding problems in the past - especially the individuals with the Elbow River at the end of their backyard. ;)

I'll touch on the other comments later tonight.

Toma
03-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Gotcha. :rofl:

\.

LOL

Yeah, but right after my first post, I conceded that I'm probably wrong, as per my own flooding issues lol.

I'd be willing to bet money though that it won't happen again.

Toma
03-25-2014, 08:40 PM

Man, high River was brutal.... I went to pick something up from Jeremy, and he is on some street, and at the end of the street, there is building, like a a 7-11 or something, I asked how high the water was, he pointed to the building, and the mark was something like 8 feet high. Man!

buh_buh
03-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Pretty surprising the results were not as skewed as I thought they'd be considering all the comments in here are mostly about staying away from Sunnyside.

skandalouz_08
03-30-2014, 03:37 PM
I bought in Sunnyside in November. Great community and the area I bought in wasn't affected, other than being evacuated. In my mind not a huge deal to buy in Sunnyside but do your research first.

mr2mike
06-18-2014, 08:16 AM

I'd be willing to bet money though that it won't happen again.

Toma's gotta be sweating just a little right now.

rage2
06-18-2014, 08:32 AM
I don't think Toma lives in Sunnyside, nor does the current advisory affect riverflows into Calgary. From what I'm seeing, it's the same yearly spring runoff advisories for Calgary region.

Of course if we don't flood, the city will take full credit later on lol.

mr2mike
06-18-2014, 08:55 AM
I know he doesn't live in Sunnyside. He just seemed so certain on no flooding but it's probably a lightning doesn't strike twice probability.
With the river rising, his 100% certainty might have started to drop to say 95%.

I can't see two mega floods in two years. We're not Manitoba.
But I also can't say that we're in the clear with flood mitigation.

msommers
06-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if it flooded again. Predicting if it's going to flood again is nearly impossible for scientists until it's much closer to the potential event so I'm not sure how the general public thinks they know better and suggest it's not going to happen again. Gut feeling I guess :dunno:

Hopefully it doesn't but if it does it'd be a wake up call that we need proper infrastructure. And that really, Mother Nature > Us.

mr2mike
06-18-2014, 09:27 AM
I know for a fact that some people's basements are taking in water in Sunnyside. Seems to happen a lot when the water table comes up. I guess it's more of they don't have appropriate sumps installed.

msommers
06-18-2014, 09:32 AM
The foundation in most of those homes must be appalling lol.

Sugarphreak
06-18-2014, 09:59 AM

ercchry
06-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

If you look back at the history of this region we had a bunch of really bad floods in 1879, 1897 and then again in 1915 and 1929. Then really nothing until about 2005 when we got a smaller flood.

...and when were all the up stream dams built?

Sugarphreak
06-18-2014, 10:06 AM

sputnik
06-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
I can't see two mega floods in two years. We're not Manitoba.
But I also can't say that we're in the clear with flood mitigation.

At the end of the day the flooding comes from a high amount of snow in the mountains followed by a few overly rainy days in the spring.

Flooding in Alberta has been far more catastrophic in Alberta over the last 50 years that it has been in Manitoba. Not to mention that in Alberta the floods come much quicker and are far more unpredictable than in Manitoba. In Manitoba most floods are forecasted weeks (if not months) in advance.

Manitoba suffered one major flood in 1950 and by 1962 the construction of the floodway had started. The construction at the time cost over $60 million (~$400 million today). Had it not been for the construction of the floodway, the flood of 1997 would have devastated the city as the flow of water was 50% higher than in 1950. Since then another $650 million was spent expanding the floodway to handle water at a rate of 4000 m3/second.

So Calgary might not be hit with a second flood in as many years... but 20-30 years down the road people might be thankful for some foresight from those who didn't want to have to deal with a flood a second time.

austic
06-18-2014, 12:31 PM
I wouldnt buy as its too risky for me.
If you have lots of extra savings to become "self insured" aka no matter what happens you are fine financially then go for it.