PDA

View Full Version : Renting to Pet Owners

stealth
03-25-2014, 02:18 PM
Would you guys rent a townhouse to pet owners?

I have someone interested in my rental place and he has a doberman that is well behaved (according to him).

Would you rent out to him, perhaps ask for more rent because of the pet?

BerserkerCatSplat
03-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Increased rent and/or an additional/inflated damage deposit to cover pet damage and a professional floor cleaning after move-out.

That said, I would be more hesitant to rent to a dog owner than a cat owner, just based on relative ability to cause damage.

sputnik
03-25-2014, 02:26 PM
The pets are ALWAYS worse that the owners claim.

It isn't worth the hassle and the potential damage to floors and walls.

JustinMCS
03-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Say goodbye to hardwood floors! Not enough places rent to people with pets for that reason. My hardwood floor was brand new two years ago and now it is ruined by the claws of my two french bulldogs!

CanmoreOrLess
03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
I'd be calling the previous landlord no matter the renter and pet status. History is everything.

As for the wood floor damage, it depends on the wood used and the quality of the wood and dog. My parents have twenty year old wooden floors, two medium sized dogs and not a scratch.

On the upside a renter with pet is going to be a better class of renter as they don't have as many options and would do anything to keep the pet and rental. Other than adding to the lease agreement something about only one dog on the premise and a pet damage deposit, you should be good to go. One assumes a pro carpet cleaning is already in the lease, if not it should be for all types of renters.

Toma
03-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Don't do it. More than enough renters out there looking for places.

I have never met a pet I like. Whether they wreck your carpet, your grass, your laminate....

Fuck it. Never worth it.

CanmoreOrLess
03-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
The pets are ALWAYS worse that the owners claim.

It isn't worth the hassle and the potential damage to floors and walls.

ALWAYS? Seems a bit extreme.

stealth
03-25-2014, 02:34 PM
No hardwood in this place, just carpet.

Are pets hard on walls and cabinets also?

tch7
03-25-2014, 02:39 PM
I had a well behaved dog. I became very good at cleaning up diarrhea splatter.

So personally, no, I wouldn't rent to a dog owner.
If your townhouse doesn't have a fenced yard, then I most definitely wouldn't rent to somebody with a large dog.

Other pets I find less of an issue, but I would still ask for more rent and/or a higher damage deposit.

..*JDM Hatch*..
03-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by stealth

YES!! they are pretty harsh on walls, cabinets, carpet, doors, lawns, etc. dogs are pretty harsh on almost everything. If your dog is not in a kennel and roams free and you happen to go out, Once you come home and the dog gets excited for some reason they tend to demolish the wall beside the front door and the wall beside it.

I have 2 dogs, black lab and a blue nose pit bull. they ruin the above stated on a daily basis.

ercchry
03-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by stealth

depends... my parent's old dog ate the corner of a cabinet and chewed a hole in the drywall...

my dog did do a number on some cabinets at my place.. but thats more so how i setup her gate... she tried standing against it and she must have figured the wall (aka, cabinet) was more stable... but it wasnt, so i have claw marks there...

worse by far with carpets is going to be piss... cause once it soaks in it might look clean, but god knows what it looks like underneath.

my old tenants got a dog... a puppy, they talked about it a bit before they moved in but never confirmed WHAT type of dog they were thinking of getting and they failed to tell me about it after they got it, from what i could tell from inspection, they left it outside a lot and neglected it... fucking thing ate all the wiring off the bbq, mud on everything in the yard, all over the back door area (obviously trying to get into the house) and shit like that... but for me it isnt a massive deal, current tenants have a dog too... i had a dog before them all in that house, after these guys move out i'm probably going to reno and sell anyway so a couple bucks off the damage deposit is helpful ;)

Nitron88
03-25-2014, 03:04 PM
If you don't mind additional repairs and cost, go for it. Otherwise don't do it as I wouldn't do it myself.

revelations
03-25-2014, 03:18 PM
I have a tenant in my condo who has a really nice mid-sized dog. Only problems that past 1.5 years has been the occasional barking during thunderstorms. She was screened and credit was pullled - just a great tenant all around. Never any issues.

SkiBum5.0
03-25-2014, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't write a tenant off just because of a dog. As mentioned before, check references, add in a higher damage deposit and stipulate thorough, professional clean.

I would be hesitant if it was a brand new place, but if it is already lived in then a well-behaved, home broken dog won't be that taxing - unless his references don't check out.

I will tell you that after having my wife's cat piss in my basement in our new house - you can't tell me a dog is more expensive. Dog pee comes out with a good clean, drywall can be repaired easily and cheaply but cat piss means $4000 in new carpet, drywall and trim.

Weapon_R
03-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Never a good idea.

Tik-Tok
03-25-2014, 04:47 PM
Better not rent to anyone with kids either. They can also damage a home. So can the elderly with their walkers, or wheelchairs. Don't even THINK about renting it out to a young couple either. Chicks are known to throw things during heated arguments. Oh, no one older than 40 either, I mean how trust worthy with money is someone who doesn't own their own house by then, right?

(not directed at you OP, just to the people who would refuse tenants because a pet "could" possibly damage something)

88CRX
03-25-2014, 04:49 PM
The problem is that you can only collect maximum 1 months rent for a damage deposit. A dog can do way more than that in damages.

If I could have collected additional funds for a ‘pet damage deposit’ I would have considered it. But without that provision no way.

spikerS
03-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
The problem is that you can only collect maximum 1 months rent for a damage deposit. A dog can do way more than that in damages.

If I could have collected additional funds for a ‘pet damage deposit’ I would have considered it. But without that provision no way.

Are you sure?

In the past, I paid $900 for first months rent, $900 Damage Deposit, and an additional $250 as a pet deposit.

I just want to say that I got all my damage deposits back, including the pet deposit, and I have had cats and dogs while renting, and never had an issue. And yes, it was very difficult finding a place to rent when I had my dogs just because of the perceived possibility that a dog MIGHT do some damage. It very much depends on the owners and the dog.

It bugged me so much when I was immediately disqualified because of my dogs.

ercchry
03-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by spikers

Are you sure?

In the past, I paid $900 for first months rent, $900 Damage Deposit, and an additional $250 as a pet deposit.

I just want to say that I got all my damage deposits back, including the pet deposit, and I have had cats and dogs while renting, and never had an issue. And yes, it was very difficult finding a place to rent when I had my dogs just because of the perceived possibility that a dog MIGHT do some damage. It very much depends on the owners and the dog.

It bugged me so much when I was immediately disqualified because of my dogs.

yup, its in the act... doesnt mean everyone follows things to the letter of the law though

msommers
03-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Hell no. It takes a lot of work and money to get rid of piss from flooring. Accidents happen, you don't want to be stuck with it.

firebane
03-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Hell no. It takes a lot of work and money to get rid of piss from flooring. Accidents happen, you don't want to be stuck with it.

Exactly dogs get excited and leak all over the place. Cats get tempermental and start spraying everywhere.

Lift the carpet in any place that has had pets and you'll be throughly disgusted.

doomdealer
03-25-2014, 05:47 PM
When I was renting out my condo with help from Jordan, he recommended that we consider allowing tenants with small-sized dogs (ie under 15 lbs).

Jordan also said that we could collect a one-time $300 non-refundable charge for the Pet. That'd allow us to deep clean the carpets when the tenants moved out.

I think being open to the option of small pets is great; it does open up your place to a whole slew of potential tenants that won't be accepted elsewhere.

With that said tho, I would definitely not accept a doberman or anything that large. The potential damage caused by them is just too big.

firebane
03-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by doomdealer
When I was renting out my condo with help from Jordan, he recommended that we consider allowing tenants with small-sized dogs (ie under 15 lbs).

Jordan also said that we could collect a one-time $300 non-refundable charge for the Pet. That'd allow us to deep clean the carpets when the tenants moved out.

I think being open to the option of small pets is great; it does open up your place to a whole slew of potential tenants that won't be accepted elsewhere.

With that said tho, I would definitely not accept a doberman or anything that large. The potential damage caused by them is just too big.

I have owned medium sized dogs in a condo and guess what.. No damage done whatsoever.

Made sure he got plenty of exercise including going to daycare during the week for a couple of days.

I could even leave the dog home for 7-8 hours and would not be any messes or any destruction but when I got home he had to go NOW not 10 minutes ago.

Its all in the dog and owners to be quite frank and most pet owners are lazy.

guessboi
03-25-2014, 06:02 PM
I personally would not take the chance and rent it out to pet owners.

stealth
03-25-2014, 06:15 PM
My biggest issue is the place is in Ft. McMurray, the guy seems younger in his 20's to early 30's.

He probably works a lot and wouldn't have a lot of time to devote to his dog.

Also I can only take his word for his dog being well behaved.

As for references, he can get anyone to vouch from him.

spike98
03-25-2014, 07:41 PM
As a dog owner, landlord, and after a struggle finding a place, a renter.

There is one thing i can say coming from both sides of the coin...

If someone has it in themselves to wreck a place, having a pet wont matter. Pet owner or not, if they dont give a shit, you will have damage. The pet is just another outlet for damage. Screen your tenants by using references, credit checks, grooming references, and charging a REFUNDABLE pet deposit. Agree to have soft goods shampoos to prevent smells.

A crack head is more dangerous to your property than a professional couple with a beagle.

rob the knob
03-25-2014, 07:46 PM
no surprise grumpy
Originally posted by Toma
Don't do it. More than enough renters out there looking for places.

I have never met a pet I like. Whether they wreck your carpet, your grass, your laminate....

Fuck it. Never worth it.

spikerS
03-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by spike98
As a dog owner, landlord, and after a struggle finding a place, a renter.

There is one thing i can say coming from both sides of the coin...

If someone has it in themselves to wreck a place, having a pet wont matter. Pet owner or not, if they dont give a shit, you will have damage. The pet is just another outlet for damage. Screen your tenants by using references, credit checks, grooming references, and charging a REFUNDABLE pet deposit. Agree to have soft goods shampoos to prevent smells.

A crack head is more dangerous to your property than a professional couple with a beagle.

He gets it. :thumbsup:

Xtrema
03-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Equal applicants, I would take one without a big dog.

Unless your place is in need of serious renovation (new floor/wall/kitchens) anyway after this tenant leave, then go for it.

As much as a dog lover that I'm, I know what even most well behaved dogs are capable of regardless of size. There will be no damage deposit can cover what dogs can do.

turbotrip
03-25-2014, 08:00 PM
I have rented to many dog owners, and never had a single issue related to the pet. I'd rent to a medium/small dog owner over someone with children every single time. For all pet owners I just add a note that tenant agrees to have carpets professionally shampooed and baseboards wiped down upon move-out

Toma
03-25-2014, 08:07 PM
It's not even big dogs. Big ones never pee in the house. We have a saint Bernard and he is awesome, but absolute hell on the lawn.

The small dogs have no bladder, especially older, and are more prone to marking.

Cats also..... Ugh. Lol

Adrenaline101
03-25-2014, 08:28 PM
It is completely situational. There are way worse tenants than animals out there. On the other side, if they suck at training their animal it can be a handful.
I am a 2x dog owner and a renter and I can say that 2‰ of the bad owners/dogs out there ruin it for the rest of us.

I pay $2100 a month I'm rent, paid $2100 in damage deposit + $400 non refundable pet deposits.
This last time looking for a place was next to impossible even with past references. My medium sized female dogs have never damaged a thing, I water, fertilize and seed the lawn in case they as female dogs damage it, I also carpet clean regularly.

My point is that responsible pet owners can be awesome tenants that go the extra mile because they have even more clean up to do etc. Even the Calgary humane society posted an article about how pet owners can be more responsible tenants.

Unless it's cats, fuck cats.

Type_S1
03-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Anyone with half a brain won't rent to dog/cat owners. Hardwood floors - 100% will be damaged from claws/nails, water from their feet, water from their water dish etc. Carpet - 99.9% chance at some point it's getting pissed on...you pull that up ever and what you will see underneath is absolutely disgusting. Dogs/cats also dig/scratch carpet to shit. Any wood fixings in the house - cats claw the crap out of it, dogs naw it, scratch it. Ruin your lawns. Animals cause a lot more stuff to be spilled on floors (random glass of juice, beer they knock over).

I could go on and on...just a bad financial decision. Pet owners should realize that they cause damage to other people's homes and should expect a LARGE non-refundable damage deposit if someone will let them rent.

The_1
03-25-2014, 09:56 PM
I rented to pet owners before
Never again!! Had to replace all the carpet and lino after
Plus why would you in this market?

Adrenaline101
03-25-2014, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Anyone with half a brain won't rent to dog/cat owners. Hardwood floors - 100% will be damaged from claws/nails, water from their feet, water from their water dish etc. Carpet - 99.9% chance at some point it's getting pissed on...you pull that up ever and what you will see underneath is absolutely disgusting. Dogs/cats also dig/scratch carpet to shit. Any wood fixings in the house - cats claw the crap out of it, dogs naw it, scratch it. Ruin your lawns. Animals cause a lot more stuff to be spilled on floors (random glass of juice, beer they knock over).

I could go on and on...just a bad financial decision. Pet owners should realize that they cause damage to other people's homes and should expect a LARGE non-refundable damage deposit if someone will let them rent.

Sorry dude, I apologize from deep in my heart but I have to say it. That was actually a more ignorant comment than Toma's.
Crated dogs over children any day, especially in a higher end location. I say crated, because I love my dogs to death, but I've had accidents in the past with a dog that aren't worth the risk. I am talking dog health wise of course.

oddly enough I am still trying to figure out what the previous tenants did to this place, there are pink stains on the carpet in a spare bedroom, in the ensuite bathroom next to the tub, and on the kitchen counter ( wont come off of any of them no matter the cleaning)

*this is probably not the thread for anyone who's an animal lover. I understand where some people are coming from, as a lot of people these days seem to treat rentals as properties that should be making them money immediately and not just equity investments, its dog eat dog these days, no pun intended*

CD007
03-27-2014, 01:04 PM
I rent to a dog owner and haven't had any problems at all. It's a border collie and is crate trained. I had triple the applicants after advertising pets considered. I meet the pets and got to see the persons current home prior to making a decision. We have rules here(winnipeg) saying we get damage deposit and pet damage deposit also.
There are hardwood floors that are still fine after a year of the dog being there. The hardwoods were installed after a family of 4 destroyed the carpet. 2 kids, 2 and 4 years old.

nixon45
03-27-2014, 01:15 PM
FYI for any landlords or tenants.. There is a product called Soft Paws for dogs, just like there is for cats to get them to stop picking at furniture.

Basically they are soft plastic caps that are glued onto the dogs nails to decrease any scratching, especially good for hardwood.

My Boxer wears them and the hardwood floors in the place I rent haven't taken any abuse.

Obviously bored dogs can become destructive dogs... so this only really helps one problem.

Just thought I would throw it out there.

CapnCrunch
03-27-2014, 01:23 PM
I have 2 dogs and no carpet or hardwood in my home, and I wouldn't rent to someone with dogs lol.

Seth1968
03-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Toma
[BI I have never met a pet I like. [/B]

Such a titled new thread would be just as entertaining than my vaccine thread.

Do it Toma!

It would be fun.

mazdavirgin
03-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Makes no sense to rent to people with pets. It's additional risk for no reward. Every place I looked at downtown that allowed pets for rentals was completely trashed. Some owners let their pets take dumps on the patio so you go over there and the patio is full of turds. Same goes with the smell of places where people have kept dogs and cats. Horrible and smells like a barnyard. After having done some renos to places where people have been allowed to keep pets. I would never in a million years rent to pet owners. Pull the carpet up in a rental where people have been keeping dogs/cats and prepare to cringe.