PDA

View Full Version : Drone assisted hunting banned in Alaska.

ZenOps
03-26-2014, 05:20 AM
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/drone-assisted-hunting-banned-alaska-180950251/?no-ist

cancer man
03-26-2014, 07:02 AM
The part about not being able to deliver beer sucks.

GTS4tw
03-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Sarah Palin is gonna be pissed...

AndyL
03-26-2014, 08:23 AM
I'm so starting up a drone dial a bottle service ;)

clem24
03-26-2014, 03:32 PM
And in Illinois, PETA’s drones, which were tracking hunters, were made illegal.

Haha fuck if I saw a PETA drone, I'd just shoot that instead!

Crazyjoker77
03-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Haha fuck if I saw a PETA drone, I'd just shoot that instead!

I got into building drones just over a year ago so I frequent the drone/uav forums quite a bit and its very frequent for stories about drones getting shot down. Even ones just doing fun flying.

http://youtu.be/dJW4s9wK5w4

Right after I built My first drone I happened to get invited to go plink some gophers and coyotes on a friends massive farm. I brought the drone just to practice flying never really thought it would even be beneficial to hunting. My friend took a shot at a coyote while I was flying some formations over our head and he missed. I happened to spot the coyote running across the prairie so I decided to follow him. After following the coyote for almost a km he ran into his den. I put the drone in position hold over the den while we drove over, which made it very easy to find the exact spot. We found 3 adults and 3youths in the den.

I'd also be interested in hearing the legal definition of a drone as usually a drone has to be able to fly autonomously so you might be able to get around the law flying a UAV?

jacky4566
03-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Do they not issue a set amount of tags like most places? Seems like guys wont want to use this type of tech because it makes it too easy? They would fill their tags and leave.

roll_over
03-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Did anyone hear about drones dropping contraband into prisons?

Crazyjoker77
03-27-2014, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Do they not issue a set amount of tags like most places? Seems like guys wont want to use this type of tech because it makes it too easy? They would fill their tags and leave.

Apparently coyotes were classified as pests at the time which means you can shoot as many as you want. Regardless he wanted them gone because he was losing at least one cat a month to them. I guess if you don't want to make hunting easier for yourself you shouldn't use scopes, decoys, scents, calls, tree cams, or blinds either. I don't see using drones for hunting any different than a fisherman using sonar to locate fish.

Buddy sells the pelts and said the amount we caught easily paid for our ammo and gas.

Supa Dexta
03-28-2014, 01:40 AM
I've thought of them before, for just being able to send one out to check a plot or area and see if there is anything out there. If there is a deer or whatever standing back there, then hike in and shoot it. If not, stay home and wait. Lazy - yes.. But I'm busy, so it would be a time saver (this is on my farm, not waiting in the truck as I send it into crown land or something)

Although the most of fun of hunting is all of the time leading up until you pull the trigger, then the work starts.

Also in regards to drones delivering packages - where would they set them? They can't get super close to a porch or step I wouldnt think. So wouldnt these things be leaving them in the middle of your yard, or possibly even your neighbours?

I'm thinking these things are going to be regulated to shit before long, may be a good time to get one soon, before that happens.. But as with anything, there will always be work arounds.