PDA

View Full Version : Michelin PSS - Snow

killramos
03-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Alright so I know the thread title is about as :facepalm: as you can get but here it goes.

I am picking up my new car this Saturday, I'll make a proper thread for it once I have it, but my issue is I had it spec'd with michrelin pilot super sports on a rwd. In anyone's experience in particular people who have used these tires how bad are they in the snow?

I am not planning on setting the car up with winters until this fall so for the time being it will be a garage queen. Will the car be safe / stable enough in the cold and snow to bring home or should I leave it at the dealer until early next week when the snow melts?

Appreciate the help!:rofl:

rage2
03-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Wait till it's just wet. In today's road condition, you wont be able to stop at all going downhill. Main roads are fine, it's just the slush covered roads where it'll be a problem.

killramos
03-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Wait till it's just wet. In today's road condition, you wont be able to stop at all going downhill. Main roads are fine, it's just the slush covered roads where it'll be a problem.

That's what I am afraid of haha. It will definitely have to be a call I make day of...

Hopefully things taper off here today but if they don't it will have to sit on the lot...

Thanks for the advice, I assume you have driven with them? Don't know what C63's come stock with.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Absolutely useless in snow, like rage2 said wait till it's either dry or wet only.

bjstare
03-27-2014, 01:20 PM
In related news, I saw some jackass riding his motorcycle home around 6pm last night. A cruiser/streetbike no less. :facepalm:

94boosted
03-27-2014, 01:23 PM
They are so bad in the snow/ice that just gently taking my foot off the clutch (not applying any throttle) they were spinning :rofl:

killramos
03-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
They are so bad in the snow/ice that just gently taking my foot off the clutch (not applying any throttle) they were spinning :rofl:

Holy shit! That's nuts haha.

The car itself is definitely not that crazy in power or anything but honestly I don't think it would make it up any kind of an incline in snow or ice.

The grip in the dry was :drool: though.

I don't know what kind of genius would spec the no cost all seasons over the staggered pss's :poosie:

bjstare
03-27-2014, 01:41 PM
^What did you buy?

colinxx235
03-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by killramos

That's what I am afraid of haha. It will definitely have to be a call I make day of...

Hopefully things taper off here today but if they don't it will have to sit on the lot...

Thanks for the advice, I assume you have driven with them? Don't know what C63's come stock with.

I made the mistake of delaying taking Mich PS2 off before a snow fall the first year, my audi didn't leave the block.... I tried... hahaha :(

shakalaka
03-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Sounds like a C63.

I have been driving mine for the past couple of days and it does wobble and scare you a bit and I even have winter tires on it. Wouldn't even think of moving it with non-winter tires until the roads are cleaned off. Perhaps if they are a little wet, then it might be okay, but if there is any slush/snow, don't risk it.

rage2
03-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Definitely not a C63 if it's new. You can't choose what tires are on it, it's dictated by the factory, and only comes with Continentals and Pirellis.

killramos
03-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Nope no c63 (I wish, next time).

Picked up a new BMW M235i. The test drive sold me on it it's completely fantastic.

Bought the calgary bmw Demo car. I was the first test drive and I locked it up haha.

faiz999
03-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Nope no c63 (I wish, next time).

Picked up a new BMW M235i. The test drive sold me on it it's completely fantastic.

Bought the calgary bmw Demo car. I was the first test drive and I locked it up haha.

congrats man. sounds like u picked up a fun ride!

killramos
03-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by faiz999

congrats man. sounds like u picked up a fun ride!

Thanks man!

I am really excited, first real sports car (coming from the GTI) and my first favourite car was the e46 m3 which I think this car will pretty well emulate.

I am sure I got peoples hopes up for a new Aston or something when I was talking about the PSS's lol.

Definitely a quality offering from bmw though. Easy decision compared to a 435

94boosted
03-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Congrats killramos :thumbsup:

shadowz
03-27-2014, 03:04 PM
You might be better off getting the car flat decked home, or if you know someone with a trailer. Might be a safer option than driving home

killramos
03-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by shadowz
You might be better off getting the car flat decked home, or if you know someone with a trailer. Might be a safer option than driving home

Yea I don't think I will go that far. I'll just leave it on the lot until the weather is clear.

Thanks for the congrats everyone. I will get some pics and a half decent review posted here in the coming weeks (maybe more if it never makes it out of the garage...)

shakalaka
03-27-2014, 04:01 PM
I misunderstood and didn't realize the car was a brand new one with those tires. Nonetheless, great choice and congrats on the new purchase. Enjoy in good health.:thumbsup:

colinxx235
03-27-2014, 04:06 PM

Yea I don't think I will go that far. I'll just leave it on the lot until the weather is clear.

Thanks for the congrats everyone. I will get some pics and a half decent review posted here in the coming weeks (maybe more if it never makes it out of the garage...)

Which color combo did you select? curious to see a review on it after someone has driven for a few weeks to get the pros/cons

killramos
03-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

Which color combo did you select? curious to see a review on it after someone has driven for a few weeks to get the pros/cons

Car is Estoril Blue, Black Dakota interior, aluminum hexagon w Piano black.

I'll definitely get a review out for you guys. From the test drive it was sheer perfection though. That was all keeping it below 4K.

ColoDano
03-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Car sounds nice!

I found the PSS to be decent in rain as long as the temp was warm, but this cold, hell no, and that is on an AWD car.

Buster
03-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Great car, congrats.

If you haven't experienced what true max performance summer tires are like, then you're in for a treat (overall)...but also in for a shock on how the performance degrades under non-ideal circumstances.

Even if it's just a bit cold out, the tires are like rocks. Drift machine if its near freezing.

benyl
03-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Buster

Even if it's just a bit cold out, the tires are like rocks. Drift machine if its near freezing.

Don't forget flat spots and vibration until they warm up.

killramos
03-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Buster
Great car, congrats.

If you haven't experienced what true max performance summer tires are like, then you're in for a treat (overall)...but also in for a shock on how the performance degrades under non-ideal circumstances.

Thanks yea I am really looking forward to it. I did the year drive at ~7 degree and they were already plenty sticky!

This will definitely be the kind of car that will sit on the winters until may once I have those set up. April it will be a bit of a queen.

Looking at the forecast even if I don't pick it up Tomorrow Monday should be perfectly fine.

Never been this excited for a car though haha can't wait until I can afford to break the 400HP barrier.

Xtrema
03-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Is it the same one at the show?

Zhariak
03-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Alright so I know the thread title is about as :facepalm: as you can get but here it goes.

I am picking up my new car this Saturday, I'll make a proper thread for it once I have it, but my issue is I had it spec'd with michrelin pilot super sports on a rwd. In anyone's experience in particular people who have used these tires how bad are they in the snow?

I am not planning on setting the car up with winters until this fall so for the time being it will be a garage queen. Will the car be safe / stable enough in the cold and snow to bring home or should I leave it at the dealer until early next week when the snow melts?

Appreciate the help!:rofl:

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT drive with PS2s on any snow or ice... You will fuck your car up, it's suicide...

I've got PS2s on my CTS-V... You DO NOT want to be driving with PS2s on snow or ice, I cannot stress this enough...

Wait until the roads are either dry, or just wet (but a few degrees above zero)... I'm serious...

During that nice dry/warm spell we had a couple weeks ago, I got my V out, which was fine on the dry roads, but I got stuck numerous times in my back alley going to and from my garage (just because there was still patches of snow).

If you touch any ice, snow, or slush, you will have absolutely NO acceleration, NO braking, NO control over steering.

I know I'm rambling, but I can't stress this enough. I've heard of people destroying their vehicles with PS2s...

Zhariak
03-28-2014, 10:43 AM
:banghead: whoops, just realized how late I posted in the thread... lol my bad

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Sounds like the same one to me. If it is hopefully BMW took note of the missing hood latch on one side some fucker must have taken when they realized they just unscrew...

rage2
03-28-2014, 11:28 AM
http://virgeweb.com/rage2/c63bs/39.jpg

It was so sketch haha. That was on R compounds too, about the same snow grip as PSS's, since it really can't get any worse lol.

94boosted
03-28-2014, 12:24 PM

It was so sketch haha. That was on R compounds too, about the same snow grip as PSS's, since it really can't get any worse lol.

Not to thread jack but which R-Comp's Rage? I'm starting my shopping for R-Comps now, Pilot Sport Cups and Proxes R888's are high on my list.

benyl
03-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Dunlop Sport Maxx Race MO

94boosted
03-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Dunlop Sport Maxx Race MO

:thumbsup: Thanks benyl

rage2
03-28-2014, 12:58 PM
I'd need a track before I invest in R compounds again. The car came from the factory with them on because I ordered the track pack. They pull the same G's as PSS's on the street, but once you get em hot, I was sustaining 1.3g's on an AutoX track haha.

I only got 1700kms out of the rears on mostly street driving. Terrible street tires.

killramos
03-28-2014, 01:06 PM

The show car didn't belong to Calgary BMW. The one in the show belongs to BMW Canada and went along with the Show M3,M4 etc.

One in the show was spec'd differently for example mine is a ZF8 plus a couple other toys. Mine was spec'd about 4.5 grand higher. Though I can't remember what packages the show car had.

My car came in to the dealer the week after the show.

As you are all mentioning I wouldn't touch that car with a 10 foot pole. Everything was ruined scratched leather rips :barf:

Only reason I bought this one is no one else had had a chance to touch it yet.

killramos
03-28-2014, 01:09 PM
http://virgeweb.com/rage2/c63bs/39.jpg

That's awesome Rage. Definitely hoping for the dry but it will be a at the time decision tomorrow. Either way pics will be coming.

Anyone else interested in anything lets know and I'll be glad to post up about it.

Xtrema
03-28-2014, 01:39 PM

The show car didn't belong to Calgary BMW. The one in the show belongs to BMW Canada and went along with the Show M3,M4 etc.

One in the show was spec'd differently for example mine is a ZF8 plus a couple other toys. Mine was spec'd about 4.5 grand higher. Though I can't remember what packages the show car had.

My car came in to the dealer the week after the show.

As you are all mentioning I wouldn't touch that car with a 10 foot pole. Everything was ruined scratched leather rips :barf:

Only reason I bought this one is no one else had had a chance to touch it yet.

Yeah, that car was abused hard.

And I was wondering why the hood won't open, twin-cam confirmed it.

killramos
03-28-2014, 01:44 PM

And I was wondering why the hood won't open.

Yea it's a damn shame. Way to much of that bs at the show unfortunately. I would have really liked to spend some time in the new m3 ( because to be honest I would definitely consider buying one seriously )

But alas no luck. The one that really got me is locking up the m3 but letting everyone and their dog fornicate in the back of the 760Li

Maybe credit check on the way in would solve these issues :rolleyes:

Xtrema
03-28-2014, 01:59 PM

But alas no luck. The one that really got me is locking up the m3 but letting everyone and their dog fornicate in the back of the 760Li

M3/4 were opened up for selected customers.

I'm not sure how much that RS7 went for (someone picked it up) but if you care about scratches on the body, I won't touch that one without a heavy discount.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-28-2014, 02:32 PM

And I was wondering why the hood won't open, twin-cam confirmed it.

Actually you probably couldn't get the hood open because BMWs safety catch is actually a double pull on the interior handle. But the one at the show has two good latches left and right, the hook on the drivers side was stolen so the hood would only latch on the passenger side.

killramos
03-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Actually you probably couldn't get the hood open because BMWs safety catch is actually a double pull on the interior handle. But the one at the show has two good latches left and right, the hook on the drivers side was stolen so the hood would only latch on the passenger side.

I was there Wednesday when the drivers side still existed.

It definitely opens but the double pull thing is hit or miss. 1 good strong pull will usually open it up haha it's weird.

94boosted
03-28-2014, 03:48 PM
I'd need a track before I invest in R compounds again. The car came from the factory with them on because I ordered the track pack. They pull the same G's as PSS's on the street, but once you get em hot, I was sustaining 1.3g's on an AutoX track haha.

I only got 1700kms out of the rears on mostly street driving. Terrible street tires.

Haha makes sense, yah I'll be putting them on a second set of wheels for auto-x and track days and leaving the PSS's on for daily driving. But the PSS's do wear pretty fast too lol.

1.3G's sustained :eek:

killramos
03-29-2014, 06:05 PM
Alright so the day has come. Roads dried up enough to get the new toy home

Tires did surprisingly well in the alley. Not a peep out of dsc with 2nd gear starts:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/590C1C52-C4F7-4E3F-B245-F1B80B3B7365.jpg

And a couple quick exterior shots with the iPhone from its new home. I'll get more for you guys with the slr when I take it out again.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/769FBA8C-799B-4EF7-895A-4BA02C989964.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/AC6D2500-E173-4ED8-AA40-067F29D7B642.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/DF96DB48-C17D-4E17-AF15-40CBD163E8A0.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/303DAB3E-2754-40F6-B679-5A63ACF4D07B.jpg

Redlined_8000
03-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Nice color! Looks great. Is it a 6sp or the 8sp auto?

msommers
03-30-2014, 01:06 AM
Congrats on the new car! That's a beautiful blue

jaylo
03-30-2014, 09:03 AM
Congratulations! Estoril Blue II is one of the nicest color and is exclusive to the M Sport trims

killramos
03-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
Nice color! Looks great. Is it a 6sp or the 8sp auto?

8 speed this time. Pretty good transmission actually.

The color is definitely sweet, esp in person.

Car is confirmed to be the 2nd in the city though there are another one prepped for delivery after me, that one was a factory order.

boarderfatty
03-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Not to thread jack but which R-Comp's Rage? I'm starting my shopping for R-Comps now, Pilot Sport Cups and Proxes R888's are high on my list.

I ran the Sport Cup's on my P-car and was quite impressed with them

Jeff TYPE R
04-01-2014, 12:14 AM
I took my car out for a drive last month when it warmed up to 8C and the PSS's were still useless on dry pavement. I would spin in 4th gear at 120+ km/h when aggressive on throttle. Or any throttle at all in corners.