PDA

View Full Version : Luggage/Europe/Hostels

woodywoodford
03-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Plans are to head to Rome and London in a couple months, staying in hostels, and I'm not sure what kind of luggage to go for. I'll be with some friends so we SHOULD have those private hostel rooms, but are things secure there? Like would I be fine leaving my luggage at the hostel while we wander around the city? Rome is only a couple days so we won't be going far, and we're staying at friends in London so no worries there. I just don't want to get stuck dragging around or worrying about my stuff all day.

So, rolly carry-on bag, or just get a quality backpack?

ducaudi
03-29-2014, 10:05 AM
I bought a good quality, 50L MEC bag and had no issues in Rome/London. The storage where my rooms were good, just bring a pad lock or combo lock to secure your stuff. Should be good to go for the day.

Kobe
03-29-2014, 10:38 AM
I got a 90L backpack. It's been good I've never got robbed but I've heard of horror stories of people getting their shit stolen..

Most hostels will have a locker for you to put your stuff into so it doesn't get stolen.

Edit: Yes bring a padlock to lock your stuff up!

davidI
03-29-2014, 09:03 PM
I think backpack is easiest. A lot of places won't have stairs and rollerbags won't roll so well on cobblestone streets.

I prefer a 40L or smaller pack. I've done a bit of a pack review and described the features I look for in a travel pack here: http://baldpacker.com/buying-backpack-travel

Oh, and in 8 years of traveling I've never had anything stolen. Just don't leave things out in the open and exercise common sense and you should be fine.

msommers
03-30-2014, 01:23 AM
If you were going to Europe for awhile, travelling to different places I would say go with the backpack. But it's basically Rome for 2-3 days. Personally I'd been more keen to take the roller bag.

Kobe, I don't know how you handled a 90L. That's huge!! I think mine was 40L and it lasted me 2.5 months of travelling Europe, bouncing around a lot!

As for security, I never had an issue ever. It's actually pretty crazy what I saw laying on beds during the day...cameras, charging laptops, phones... As mentioned, lockers are pretty common. I know there are some scumbags out there but the general mentality I find with backpackers is that they're honest people. Definitely bring a combo-lock, don't have to worry about a key either.

jsn
03-30-2014, 01:31 AM
For 3 weeks of backpacking, a 40L was enough for me. You have to do some laundry, but I just hand washed and airdried my stuff in the hostel while I went out to save time. Definitely bring a lock for the lockers though. I normally left my stuff in the hostels in the lockers, but I usually brought my passport with me in one of those passport holders that you can wear under your pants.

woodywoodford
03-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by msommers
If you were going to Europe for awhile, travelling to different places I would say go with the backpack. But it's basically Rome for 2-3 days. Personally I'd been more keen to take the roller bag.

Kobe, I don't know how you handled a 90L. That's huge!! I think mine was 40L and it lasted me 2.5 months of travelling Europe, bouncing around a lot!

As for security, I never had an issue ever. It's actually pretty crazy what I saw laying on beds during the day...cameras, charging laptops, phones... As mentioned, lockers are pretty common. I know there are some scumbags out there but the general mentality I find with backpackers is that they're honest people. Definitely bring a combo-lock, don't have to worry about a key either.

Yeah that's kind of been my thinking, worst case I'll stuff a small backpack in the suitcase and use that for day trips. The only real concern is someone jacking my shit while I'm out, but if there's lockers that might not be a big deal anyway sounds like.