PDA

View Full Version : New Ramen place in calgary

bowlofrice
03-29-2014, 05:49 PM
The name is Shiki Menya, located in bridgeland, their grand opening is monday, and from what ive heard about their pre-opening taste events/social media event the place sounds to be excellent. The owner is the son of the owner of shikiji.

Just posting this up here to let any ramen-heads know so they can check it out when it opens up monday!

Ps. I have no affiliation with them, I just love ramen and will be going there to check it out once im back in town from work lol:drool:

added:
Urbanspoon link (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1810777/restaurant/Bridgeland/Shiki-Menya-Calgary)

WHOOPS MY BAD, edited, grand opening is MONDAY.. not tomorrow

K3RMiTdot
03-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Ill have to check it out

DeleriousZ
03-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Dude that's sweet, Love ramen! Will absolutely have to check this out.

jdmakkord
03-29-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm a regular at Shikiji, can wait to try this spot out.

G
03-29-2014, 10:48 PM

wildrice
04-04-2014, 07:27 PM
not doing so good on their first week. Tried to go on wednesday night only to find out they were closed due to technical difficulties..and then wanted to go tonight so i called in advance but they were sold out for the day...

flipstah
04-04-2014, 07:56 PM
How do you sell out of food? Someone isn't doing their estimates right... :nut:

Sorath
04-05-2014, 08:24 PM
What's going on with this place? So inconsistent. Went today and it was closed? And it was running out of food before? Had major issues with the kitchen on Monday? Lol

I wanna try so bad though...
Urbanspoon reviews is 100% with 14 voters lol

GQBalla
04-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Supposedly only 150 bowls a day.

Team_Mclaren
04-06-2014, 12:21 AM
^^ that sounds fucking retarded

GQBalla
04-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
^^ that sounds fucking retarded

Exactly why I don't have this huge urge to go try it.

TYMSMNY
04-06-2014, 04:07 AM
meh, they're doing it for promotional sakes. Once business steadies off, the magical 150 bowls per day will disappear.

As for visiting this place, soon. I love em ramen!

flipstah
04-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Supposedly only 150 bowls a day.

So they only have one kind (daily special style) or the entire menu is limited to that #?

They're trying to make themselves exclusive, which is dumb IMO for a restaurant trying to establish a reputation.

dannie
04-06-2014, 11:23 AM
This place is owned by the same people as Shikiji... from what I've understood, they are doing exactly what Flipstah suggested. Literally 150 bowls of soup per day, regardless of what soup you order. Kinda like Crave Cupcakes. When they run out, they close.

My guess is it will last for a month to gauge interest and then they will not have that limitation.

https://twitter.com/ShikiMenya/status/452836320981692416/photo/1

lilmira
04-06-2014, 11:53 AM
150 bowls don't sound much, how much profit do you make on a bowl?
Maintaining quality is one thing, if you can't produce decent quantity, you'll turn away potential customers = money.

Hope they do good. We need decent ramen shop here. :drool:

Asian_defender
04-06-2014, 11:53 AM
That is the dumbest model I've ever heard of.
I have lost all interest in trying this place as its stupid to call in all the time to and be turned down. I'll take my money elsewhere.

TYMSMNY
04-06-2014, 11:56 AM
^ this place is owned by the SON of the owner of Shikiji.

l/l/rX
04-06-2014, 08:52 PM
I went on saturday and loved it! but yes, they sell 150 bowls/ day, due to the ramen being hand made and fresh. The owner said they will more than likely increase this amount, but they're just trying to grasp how busy things are. But their goal is quality over quantity. I don't think they could care less about how many bowls they sell as long as they put out quality.

Typically they're sold out by 2pm, they open at 11. Go early! I will say it is pretty expensive for a bowl of ramen though.

There's a new ramen place opening up this week that is taking over the +15 level of West, called Goro+Gun, this place seems like it'll be pretty decent as well. Checking it out later this week :)

GQBalla
04-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Same owners as shikiji eh?

Horrible business model but they want to do it go ahead. Calgary has so few ramen places. They'll be okay

msommers
04-06-2014, 10:47 PM
What a stupid business model. Why don't you be like Over Easy Breakfast and have food for a packed house all day long :dunno: I don't care if the noodles contain tiger tears, not worth such a disorganized situation for noodles.

flipstah
04-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
There's a new ramen place opening up this week that is taking over the +15 level of West, called Goro+Gun, this place seems like it'll be pretty decent as well. Checking it out later this week :)

I heard about this too. Seems like a franchise that has potential:

http://goroandgun.squarespace.com/

:love: :drool:

dannie
04-06-2014, 11:34 PM
I ended up at Shikiji tonight and asked the hostess what the deal was. She said that it's essentially their version of a soft opening. They are doing the 150 bowls currently, but once the staff and the food is at a maintenance level, they plan on changing it to the same as shikiji.

She also said that the soup broth and the noodles taste very different than the ones at shikiji. So, she said to not go in there expecting the same food.

jsn
04-07-2014, 12:21 AM
I went there yesterday. I don't really know what traditional ramen tastes like, but I thought the food was really good. I did think the 150 bowls was pretty stupid. Capacity was only around 30 to 40 people, and turnover rate seemed to be under an hour. At that rate, they'd run out in a few hours. I went at 12:30 and was seated within 20 minutes or so. There were still alot of people waiting to be seated when I left just after 1 so I assume they still hadn't reached their limit yet.

max_boost
04-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Haha it ain't easy running any business but this works so good for them. Look forward to trying them out after they lift their 150bowl per day thing

bleu
04-07-2014, 04:08 PM
I can't wait to try this place too. :)

l/l/rX
04-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Went to Goro+Gun tonight... let's just say i'd rather tough it out with shiki's 150 bowls/ day.

flipstah
04-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
Went to Goro+Gun tonight... let's just say i'd rather tough it out with shiki's 150 bowls/ day.

Bland?

clem24
04-08-2014, 10:52 AM
It's amazing to me how Ramen still hasn't really caught on here, yet Pho is everywhere (and amazingly good). I guess I don't really understand why it's taking so long, especially having just returned from Tokyo and having ramen that is both stupidly cheap and amazingly good. The one thing that I don't understand is.. How come no one has nitamago (the marinated soft boiled egg that is a staple of ramen IMO). It's insane how easy it is to make (I've made it home). Yet no one has it, and when they do offer it on the menu (like last time I went to Muku), it's not soft boiled, it's hard boiled.

lilmira
04-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Unfortunately not everyone here will appreciate that kind of authenticity. Some dinners find people singing lame songs while you are eating more appealing. :dunno:

You make me hungry goddammit.

flipstah
04-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by clem24
It's amazing to me how Ramen still hasn't really caught on here, yet Pho is everywhere (and amazingly good). I guess I don't really understand why it's taking so long, especially having just returned from Tokyo and having ramen that is both stupidly cheap and amazingly good. The one thing that I don't understand is.. How come no one has nitamago (the marinated soft boiled egg that is a staple of ramen IMO). It's insane how easy it is to make (I've made it home). Yet no one has it, and when they do offer it on the menu (like last time I went to Muku), it's not soft boiled, it's hard boiled.

I MISS JAPAN SO MUCH!

http://doncommando.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/wp_20130804_042.jpg

http://doncommando.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/img_3267.jpg
Ramen>Udon but still.

http://doncommando.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/wp_20130814_005.jpg

http://doncommando.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/img_4656.jpg

l/l/rX
04-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Bland?

Very instant ramen tasting. Broth was meh.

adamc
04-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Had lunch at Shiki today :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Had the Chili Gorma.
Good portion size/value, broth was nice and flavourful, service was excellent.

Close to my house, I'll be back.

doomdealer
04-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Went with the wife over on Sat to try this place out.

We arrived there at 10:50am and there were already 2-3 tables lining up ahead of us.

By the time the restaurant opened at 11am, the whole place was already packed within a couple of minutes.

The ramen were a bit pricy I'd have to say ($11-$14 range), but it was worth it. My wife had the tonkotsu squid ink while I had the kara miso chili.

The noodles were pretty good (though I couldn't taste the hand-made difference). The broth was creamy and flavorful.

Service was on the ball and efficient. You do notice that they are trying to turn over tables quickly though with the huge lineup, so you naturally felt pressured to finish up faster.

Overall I'd say 9/10 - and I'll definitely visit this place again.

clem24
04-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by doomdealer
Service was on the ball and efficient. You do notice that they are trying to turn over tables quickly though with the huge lineup, so you naturally felt pressured to finish up faster.

North Americans love to yak after they finish eating.. True Ramen places in Japan - no chit chat, go in, wolf it down, pay, get out hahaha. I mean you have to when most places have like 6 to 10 seats at most.

flipstah
04-14-2014, 09:24 AM

North Americans love to yak after they finish eating.. True Ramen places in Japan - no chit chat, go in, wolf it down, pay, get out hahaha. I mean you have to when most places have like 6 to 10 seats at most.

TRUTH. No time to talk and sheeeiit. Love it. :love:

bowlofrice
04-14-2014, 10:13 AM
surprisingly even though im the one that posted this... i still havent had a chance to try it out hahahaha, last couple times there was a 6 table line in front of us

n1zm0
04-14-2014, 11:03 AM
It's amazing to me how Ramen still hasn't really caught on here, yet Pho is everywhere (and amazingly good). I guess I don't really understand why it's taking so long.

It's all up to the trend imo or what is the majority of the population willing to adopt within the area?

For example how many people can remember having sriracha (amongst other sauces and shit that makes an asian pantry smell the way it does :rofl: ) in their pantries since they were kids, it was a staple right? Then it exploded all of a sudden, maybe because all those 2for1 pizza places had it available, maybe some hipsters started the love for it idk.

Same with Pho and Banh mi, it was always just around when you went grocery shopping with your parents at 88 or T&T or wherever. It just takes one individual really, to venture and try something to make it a hit after they tell their friends, I brought a couple friends to the Beef Noodle house place in that stripmall in Chinatown, all their first times eating pho back in 2001, i've never seen people finish all the soup from an XL bowl in my life :nut:, they turned into pho addicts after that.

Again I think it's all about what people are willing to try, ngau lam mein is equally as good as pho in its own sense but how many people do you see raving over the amazing cantonese beef noodle soup they had last night? Outside of the regulars I don't think many know about the greatness of chinese noodle soups just because they haven't been exposed maybe. But Ramen is a different beast for sure, it'll only pickup with the demand unlike pho and chinese noodle soup that have been around forever.

TRUTH. No time to talk and sheeeiit. Love it. :love:

The one thing I love about eating in traditional Asian restaurants, they only come over to deliver food, refill tea or when you call them.

adamc
04-14-2014, 09:36 PM
I sat there and drained the entire bowl, broth and all. LOL dudes were looking at me like I was crazy.

All the best shit is at the bottom of the bowl!

lilmira
04-14-2014, 10:19 PM
I gotta go there some day, slurp as loud as I can and flick soup off the noodle to the furthest customer away from me. :drool:

msommers
04-14-2014, 10:32 PM
So I'll be the ignorant white guy....

What's the difference between pho, ramen and Cantonese soup?

lilmira
04-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Combo1, 2 or 3 :rofl:

Different noodle made differently from different ingredients (rice, flour, egg.....) soup base is different.........just pick a combo number dammit

Xtrema
04-14-2014, 11:09 PM

Pho, clear beef/pork based soup with rice noodle.

Ramen, pork/miso based soup with wheat based fried noodle

Cantonese soup is any combinations but the most famous would be the shrimp based wonton soup with chewy noodle or brisket with flat rice noodle.

Wor wonton is white guy food like ginger beef.

msommers
04-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Perfect! Thx for raising my cultural awareness lol

jsn
04-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Edit: ^^ beat me to it

msommers
04-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Where is a good example of Cantonese soup?

GQBalla
04-15-2014, 07:20 AM
not Kings won ton place, whatever that place is called.

if you want chinese noodle soup, hit up fat kee, sun chui kee, tpot, pebble street

Xtrema
04-15-2014, 09:13 AM
Where is a good example of Cantonese soup?

As GQBallas said, plus Calgary Court.

Calgary Court / Pebble Street / Sun's BBQ / T Pot is part of the same chain and the food is passable but it's the only game in town. But if there are any places that's better than these 4, I would like to know.

As wonton goes, if pork goes into Wonton, it's a Northern Chinese style and is mostly served in every restaurants here (cheap to make, easy to sell). Cantonese wonton is mostly if not all shrimp.

Cantonese soup is cheaper at $6-$7 a bowl but you also get less portion than a typical bowl of Pho and you most likely have to order something along with it for one to be full.

z2two
04-15-2014, 09:47 AM
ramen at shiki menya was the best i've had in this city. Goro+gun was decent, but wouldn't go back for ramen or even dinner. Only good thing they have are the Japanese beers on tap.

clem24
04-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Calgary Court / Pebble Street / Sun's BBQ / T Pot is part of the same chain and the food is passable but it's the only game in town. But if there are any places that's better than these 4, I would like to know.

Fat Kee by the old T&T Honda. Selection is no where near those 4 but they make their own noodles. They make this blanched chicken with soy sauce topped with green onion, ginger, and red chillies.. It's fucking :drool: :drool: :drool: with rice. Don't remember what it is called in English but Cantonese is Ba Wong Gai.

Disoblige
04-15-2014, 11:51 AM

Fat Kee by the old T&T Honda. Selection is no where near those 4 but they make their own noodles. They make this blanched chicken with soy sauce topped with green onion, ginger, and red chillies.. It's fucking :drool: :drool: :drool: with rice. Don't remember what it is called in English but Cantonese is Ba Wong Gai.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2490/5741588639_30336184af_m.jpg

Xtrema
04-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2490/5741588639_30336184af_m.jpg

That's very easy to DIY but yeah it's tasty.

I think this thread is officially jacked.

Feruk
04-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Went to Shikiji on the weekend for lunch with high expectations. Ramen was decent, but overall the broth didn't stand up to what I had in Japan. Tasted more like Miso soup (I didn't get the miso broth) than tonkatsu. Still the best I've had in Calgary, but it's too bad it's not better.

Originally posted by z2two
Only good thing they have are the Japanese beers on tap.
How is this a good thing? Even the Japanese know their beer is awful and make fun of them. Japanese restaurants are one of the few places where I'm happy Kokanee is available as most of the Japanese beers I've had to date are just terrible. Top 3 worst beers I can think of that I've had to date (not just Japanese): Bud, Asahi (most flavors), Kirin.

Kg810
04-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Went there this afternoon and ordered the Tonkotsu Black Ramen it was a big "meh." I didn't even bother finishing my bowl, but maybe I'm just spoiled coming back from Japan just a few days ago. The main issues I had was the soup look so watered down and lacked any Tonkotsu flavor you would expect.

I do hope that this is just a "soft opening" because they need a lot of work. They seem to lack any sort of consistency when it comes to their food/drinks.

I sat on the long table so I had other people sit down beside me. Since they were right beside I could hear their comments and see their food. Some bowls would come out steamy hot (the way it should be) and some looked like it was sitting for a good 5 minutes. I would hear some say theirs was too salty, just right, etc.

Even their tea is inconsistent. I believe one guy ordered it before so he ordered it again to show his buddy how good it was. When it came he said it tasted nothing alike and even asked the waiter what the deal was. The waiter said they are still experimenting with different tea combinations. :dunno:

My recommendation for now would be to stay away until the hype dies down and until they actually perfect their soup and everything else.

flipstah
04-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Showed up at 11 and now its packing!

flipstah
04-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Took the famjam yesterday and for me, it's better than Muku but that's my only Calgary ramen reference point.

I had the Kara Miso Garlic (spicy garlic miso soup), mom had the Tonkatsu black (pork ramen with squid ink), while the brother had the Goma Mazemen (dry-noodles).

To start, we had char siu (grilled pork belly) and gyoza (dumplings).

For appy, I'd get the char siu and not bother with the gyoza.

I found the noodles on mine too starchy and thick, which has a soba-like consistency rather than the skinny 'what-you-would-associate-with-ramen' noodles. Broth and noodles were the best in the tonkatsu black and that was my favorite dish overall.

I inquired about that observation on Instagram and this is their response:

Ramen noodle thickness actually varies from region to region in Japan, and also depends on the soup base, and which noodle shop you go to. We make two different kinds of noodles in house. The Miso and Mazemen come with our thicker style noodles and the others come with our thinner ones. In the end, it usually comes down to preference, but we chosen these two different styles because we thought they were the best suited for our ramens! :) hope that helps!!

I also couldn't order take-out because it will compromise quality. That's a bit silly but it's their menu. :dunno:

Overall, I'm happy that ramen is picking up pace in Calgary. Hopefully it becomes a staple but I'm leaning for laksa (Malaysian version of the noodle soup) to be the #2 to pho.

I would go back for the tonkatsu but not until that limited quantity deal is gone.

Maxt
04-18-2014, 10:58 AM
I have such a major craving for Hongo-Tei.. Guess its time to buy some plane tickets.

flipstah
04-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

How is this a good thing? Even the Japanese know their beer is awful and make fun of them. Japanese restaurants are one of the few places where I'm happy Kokanee is available as most of the Japanese beers I've had to date are just terrible. Top 3 worst beers I can think of that I've had to date (not just Japanese): Bud, Asahi (most flavors), Kirin.

Asahi>Corona.

msommers
04-18-2014, 11:41 AM
What's the go-to at Shikiji?

n1zm0
04-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Asahi>Corona.

+1, second to Tiger for me.

bulaian
04-18-2014, 12:23 PM
What's the go-to at Shikiji?

I like their chili goma

Maxt
04-18-2014, 01:27 PM

Are you talking about brewed under license or the real deal? Kirin here is brewed by molson and asahi is brewed by inbev so its probably rebadged bud. I dont mind the real McCoy actually.

Feruk
04-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
Are you talking about brewed under license or the real deal? Kirin here is brewed by molson and asahi is brewed by inbev so its probably rebadged bud. I dont mind the real McCoy actually.
Real stuff over there. You'd think the recipe would at least be the same? I'm not even sure what it tastes like here as I go out of my way to not order Japanese beers.

Asahi>Corona.
Haha touche, I might've over exaggerated. Japanese beer is nasty, but North American companies often give these beers a run for their money in terrible taste.

Oh and Tiger isn't Japanese.

DeleriousZ
04-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Do they give you broth/pork consistency choices? The only place I've found that does that is shikiji and it's a damn shame more places don't. Fatty pork and fatty broth is :drool: :drool: :drool: vs the regular stuff (like at menyatai in kensington)

n1zm0
04-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Oh and Tiger isn't Japanese.

I know that, just i'd take Tiger over Asahi first :D

Sorath
04-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by bulaian

I like their chili goma

Not on menu. Seafood ramen :drool:

taemo
01-16-2015, 02:02 PM
bump

any updates on this restaurant?
I see that they open at 11am and only stay open until they serve 150 bowls

what are the chances of them still being open in the afternoon around 5pm on a weekday?

craving for ramen tonight but otherwise might go tomorrow for lunch instead

rage2
01-16-2015, 02:08 PM
It's average to above average, inconsistent, cash only, catering to hipsters. Overrated IMO.

ExtraSlow
01-16-2015, 02:15 PM
So is shikiji still the go-to spot?

taemo
01-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by rage2
It's average to above average, inconsistent, cash only, catering to hipsters. Overrated IMO.

ah bummer so might as well just go to shikiji then?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
So is shikiji still the go-to spot?

shadowz
01-16-2015, 02:44 PM

Agreed, go up the street to Carino for their lunch Ramen. The cook is actually from Shibuya (I guess they specialize in ramen there).

Shiki Menya kinda grosses me out seeing all the oil floating up top

max_boost
01-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Yup Carino's is really good. :thumbsup:

msommers
01-16-2015, 09:10 PM
What's your guys' go-to at Shikiji?

TYMSMNY
01-16-2015, 09:22 PM
^ Miso Ramen..... or the special Seafood Ramen. :drool:

Xtrema
01-16-2015, 09:27 PM
What's your guys' go-to at Shikiji?

I still don't think there's a great ramen place in town.

Shikiji, Shikiji jr, muku are all just OK.

Carino is great if yoI feel like paying $40 for a bowl of seafood ramen.

shadowz
01-17-2015, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I still don't think there's a great ramen place in town.

Shikiji, Shikiji jr, muku are all just OK.

Carino is great if yoI feel like paying $40 for a bowl of seafood ramen.
The lobster Ramen is their most expensive @ $14 not too sure where $40 came from even if you add all the extras. Unless you're tossing a $20 bill in as a thick piece of nori

DeleriousZ
01-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Menyatai seems to have stepped up their bbq pork game recently. Last time I went there it was super rich and fatty, was delicious. To my white man taste buds anyway lol.

GTS Jeff
03-01-2015, 09:48 AM
It's average to above average, inconsistent, cash only, catering to hipsters. Overrated IMO. Those hipsters just need to get back to the basics:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=354207

zipdoa
03-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Anyone been to Japanese Noodle House on 13th St and 12 Ave? It's a hole in the wall, but god damn do they make good Spicy Miso Ramen.

flipstah
03-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Anyone been to Japanese Noodle House on 13th St and 12 Ave? It's a hole in the wall, but god damn do they make good Spicy Miso Ramen.

I live closeby. Very hole-in-the-wall but damn good. The shawarma place beside it is primo too. :drool:

AzNxHyDrA
03-02-2015, 11:00 AM

I live closeby. Very hole-in-the-wall but damn good. The shawarma place beside it is primo too. :drool:

Awesome, I definitely need to check this place out soon.

On another note, it seems the Globefish people are opening up another ramen place called "The Ramen". Can't seem to find any more details on it but it's beside Caesars Steakhouse.

zipdoa
03-02-2015, 11:04 AM

I tried Muku shortly after, and felt it didn't even hold a candle to JNH.

I like that JNH is run by an older japanese couple that barely speaks english. I feel like they know what's up. It's the same way I feel about acupuncture - I get it done by a chinese lady who barely speaks english, and I feel like she knows what's up.

msommers
03-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Wanted to go Carino or Shikiji but both are closed today. Have you guys been to Muku or Menyatai? Japanese Noodle House sounds promising too.

Update: Decided to go to Menyatai Japanese Ramen. Had the Spicy Tonkontsu and the gf had the spicy miso. I really liked mine, her's was kinda meh. The green tea ice cream was really good, and the green tea in general is actually very nice. Definitely going back.

DeleriousZ
03-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Menyatai seems to have stepped up their bbq pork game recently. Last time I went there it was super rich and fatty, was delicious. To my white man taste buds anyway lol.

secol
03-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA

Awesome, I definitely need to check this place out soon.

On another note, it seems the Globefish people are opening up another ramen place called "The Ramen". Can't seem to find any more details on it but it's beside Caesars Steakhouse.
sounds like they're going to be where banzai used to be then

dirtsniffer
03-03-2015, 12:11 PM
heck ya, right across the street from me.

AzNxHyDrA
03-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by secol

sounds like they're going to be where banzai used to be then

Yep, I think Banzai moved somewhere else and The Ramen is moving in.

secol
03-09-2015, 12:55 PM
looks like it's open. menu looks like the prices are reasonable too

Jerms
03-09-2015, 01:21 PM
My buddy is part owner of "The Ramen", planning on going there tomorrow.

The owners traveled to Japan and New York for their inspiration - using chicken as their main ingredient in their broth.

I'll post pics when I test it out.

deee_wreck
03-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Jerms

The owners traveled to Japan and New York for their inspiration - using chicken as their main ingredient in their broth.

updates???

address ?? is this in the south ?

AzNxHyDrA
03-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by deee_wreck

updates???

address ?? is this in the south ?

It's beside Caesar's Steakhouse in Downtown.

The address for Caesar's is: 512 4 Ave SW, Calgary.

I did a quick search on google and didn't find address for The Ramen.

dirtsniffer
03-13-2015, 03:41 PM
It is just west of Caesars steakhouse. On the same side of the road. Shares a parking lot with a mac's and a dive bar called loco or something.

ryuen
03-13-2015, 03:44 PM
"The Ramen" is downtown, next to the Caesar's. (Bad name imo. Makes it hard to Google)

They use a chicken broth, which is different from other places here in Calgary. But tasty nonetheless. They also have a low-broth ramen (mazemen) that was pretty good. Though I prefer the mazemen at Shiki Menya.

Has anyone tried the ramen up at Sushi Mori in the Thorncliffe area? I went a couple weekends ago and they were sold out of ramen for the week. :(

Kaos
03-13-2015, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Jerms

Hi Jeremy,

Have you tried this place out yet?
Would be good to know if this place was worth going to.

RX_EVOLV
03-13-2015, 04:30 PM
Tried the Ramen at Sushi Mori last weekend. It was good, but not good enough that I'll go back. whole place was empty when we got there at ~1140am on the weekend.