PDA

View Full Version : Review: Naina's Kitchen

ExtraSlow
03-30-2014, 08:25 AM
Naina's Kitchen
- Location: 2808 Ogden Road SE ( In a strip mall on the connector from Ogden to Blackfoot North)
- Food rating 5/5
- Ambiance 2/5
- Service 5/5

My wife informed me that this little restaurant won "best burger in Calgary", so we went over to check it out. First off, let's be clear, this is a burger joint in an industrial park. No cloth napkins or wine list here. What do do get is freshly made burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches. Order and pay at the counter, and they bring your food out to your table.

On the day we went, the soup was cheddar broccoli, which we both had and it was excellent. Nicely spiced with a hint of kick. Wife ordered the Apple, Bacon Cheddar grilled cheese, musta been good, she wouldn't let me try it and it disappeared pretty fast. I had the 1/4 lb Mushroom cheddar Bacon Burger. Excellent also, you could tell they had actually sautéed their own mushrooms, not just grabbed some out of a can like some places.

The menu also has 1/2 lb burgers, stuffed with your choice of sixteen ingredients including pulled pork or jalapeños. They also do poutine, with your choice from the same 16 toppings.

Price for two including cans of pop was about $25, which I consider good value.

I've rated them 2/5 for ambiance, just because it's a pretty bare-bones place. This is not a bad thing IMO.
They get 5/5 for the food, I honestly don't think I've had a better burger anywhere, including much fancier restaurants.
Service is 5/5, because while there isn't much of it, the food came out on time, the waitress was friendly and efficient, and our table was cleared the instant we were done eating.

I will for sure be going back to try a few of the other things on the menu.

ducaudi
03-30-2014, 09:57 AM
Their mac and cheese is pretty tasty too. Totally agree with you on the burgers though. Easily one of the best burgers in town.

Graham_A_M
03-30-2014, 10:42 AM
Sweet, been looking for a place like this in town. Since its in the industrial district, there shouldn't be hipsters or skinny jeans to worry about either.
:thumbsup:

JaffX
03-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Definitely the best burger place in the city IMO. You should also try their eggs benny, it's pretty good too.

buh_buh
03-30-2014, 05:40 PM
I'm a huge fan of Nainas.
We did our own little burger challenge a while ago and Nainas was unanimously best burger between the ones we sampled (Nainas, Clive Burger, Boogie's Burger, and Roosevelt).

max_boost
03-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Nice. How do you feel post meal? Is it quite heavy? Haven't had a burger in awhile but would love to try this place out

Seth1968
03-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Nice. How do you feel post meal? Is it quite heavy?

"I'll just have a salad".

ExtraSlow
03-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Is it heavy? It's burgers, fries, grilled cheese and poutine. Yes it's heavy.

That being said, the 1/4 pound burger is a reasonable size, and it'll obviously be "lighter" if you don't put cheese on it.

Having a cheese stuffed 1/2 pound burger with a side of pulled pork poutine would probably make a guy lethargic . .. .