PDA

View Full Version : Wind shield crack. Dangerous or not?

Seth1968
03-31-2014, 06:22 PM
The day before yesterday, I found a crack beginning about 4 inches up from the centre of the wind shield, and extending to about the same amount to the driver side pillar.

I've got an appointment to replace the wind shield tomorrow, but today the crack has extended from the centre and driver side, and has motivated itself to grow toward the passenger side. To the passenger side, it ends a few inches from the pillar, and then goes right down.

What type of wind shield crack should be addressed immediately, and what type can be ignored provided that it doesn't impede the view?

...and no, I didn't get the "Wind Shield" vaccination.:)

HHURICANE1
03-31-2014, 06:46 PM
It's not so much the visibility (though that comes into play depending on the location) that's the problem but the fact that on most vehicles the windshield is a structural member of the body. As well as that a cracked windshield can compromise the effectiveness of the air bags in the event of a crash. The windshield is meant to help contain the air bag in the vehicle and a cracked/broken windshield can blow out instead of keeping the air bag in the passenger compartment.

D. Dub
03-31-2014, 06:53 PM
I have two right big cracks right now. One about 4 inches and one about 13 or 14. I'm going to risk my life and leave the windshield until no more snow and the roads have been cleaned.

88CRX
03-31-2014, 06:57 PM
I must have half a dozen cracks on the element. Vertical windshield is terrible in this city.

Tik-Tok
03-31-2014, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
the fact that on most vehicles the windshield is a structural member of the body.

Not a fact. Just because Mr.Crack says it is on a radio ad doesn't make it one.

Seth1968
03-31-2014, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Not a fact. Just because Mr.Crack says it is on a radio ad doesn't make it one.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Heck, my motivation to write this post was a BS ad that a cracked wind shield would inhibit you from surviving a roll-over. (Despite the metal frame and safety glass)

So anyway, should I remove the wind shield and go commando?

Tik-Tok
03-31-2014, 07:15 PM
Remove the back window too. Nice breeze that way!

luxor
03-31-2014, 07:51 PM
It's not so much the visibility (though that comes into play depending on the location) that's the problem but the fact that on most vehicles the windshield is a structural member of the body. As well as that a cracked windshield can compromise the effectiveness of the air bags in the event of a crash. The windshield is meant to help contain the air bag in the vehicle and a cracked/broken windshield can blow out instead of keeping the air bag in the passenger compartment.

At first I thought troll but you are SRS WOOOOW :facepalm:

I'm surprised how many people actually believe a stupid crack in the windshield will automatically be a safety hazard. Unless you have a spidered crack 10 inches wide right in front of you, no crack will ever compromise the effectiveness of the airbags nor the laminated safety layer built into all windshields. When you roll over or when the passenger side airbag deploys, crack or not, your shit's stull gonna get fucked up.

Seth1968
03-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by luxor

At first I thought troll but you are SRS WOOOOW :facepalm:

I'm surprised how many people actually believe a stupid crack in the windshield will automatically be a safety hazard. Unless you have a spidered crack 10 inches wide right in front of you, no crack will ever compromise the effectiveness of the airbags nor the laminated safety layer built into all windshields. When you roll over or when the passenger side airbag deploys, crack or not, your shit's stull gonna get fucked up.

That's what I'm thinking as well, and the whole reason I started this thread.

Thanks for your insight luxor.

spikerS
03-31-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted for Lulz

If you believe what this guy said, I have some ocean front property by spy hill for sale.

That advert is a pile of BS. your windshield has ZERO affect on structural integrity in any situation. In fact, tempered glass is actually really strong, especially when laminated, except on the edges, where it is actually quite fragile.

Insurance companies only care about cracks in your windshield if it is going to affect your line of sight. same with cops. Got a crack all along the bottom, but it only affects how you see the hood? no issues at all.

If the crack is up in your line of sight, it can cause some visual distortion, but it is pretty minor.

Bottom line, if you can live with it, then do so.

firebane
03-31-2014, 09:29 PM
I'll take a picture of the windshield in my truck later LOL :nut:

You'd think its a map of Calgary its so bad. And some of the cracks are so deep water seeps through.

Xtrema
03-31-2014, 10:32 PM
I always thought that a cracked windshield will impact the rigidity and weaken the roof during a rollover. At the minimum, it should kinda work like a tower strut bar.

I cannot find any indepent source to support one or the other.

Tik-Tok
03-31-2014, 10:36 PM
The argument for it being structural is a certain roll over crash test (fmvss 216) in which yes, your windshield provides some support and strength when pressure is very slowly applied

However the argument against it, is that the test only puts pressure at one angle, and VERY slowly. Not like a real roll over.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/51/crash-course-roof-crush-photo-492405-s-original.jpg

ReflexFX
03-31-2014, 10:52 PM
The real question is, how often are you people expecting to roll your vehicles over? :dunno:

HHURICANE1
03-31-2014, 11:49 PM
No idea what "advert" you are referring to but you may want to get your shit straight before you call BS on something you obviously know NOTHING about.

Read this from Chrysler Canada explaining what a windshield does.

http://mopar.ca/en/partsandaccessories/authentic-mopar-glass.html

Skip to the fifth paragraph if you can't read all of it. Remember, this is a vehicle manufacturer (you know, the guys who design and build the cars).

spikerS
04-01-2014, 12:01 AM
No idea what "advert" you are referring to but you may want to get your shit straight before you call BS on something you obviously know NOTHING about.

Skip to the fifth paragraph if you can't read all of it. Remember, this is a vehicle manufacturer (you know, the guys who design and build the cars).

Holy fuck, you are an advertiser's wet dream!

Are you really going to quote a sales site for mopar glass?

:facepalm:

spikerS
04-01-2014, 12:07 AM
here, just for you guys that think your windshield is integral to your cabin structure...

Remember, it is just 2 pieces of tempered glass with a sheet of adhesive between.

A head on impact, and yeah, the glass is pretty strong. but a slight tap on the edge, and the whole thing shatters into a gazillion pieces...

look:
8iAdcfFomGA

HHURICANE1
04-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Are you seriously this dumb? The car maker, yes the guys who are smarter than you, explain what a windshield does these days and you still haven't got the wits to understand. I could care less if you replace your windshield or not. It really makes no difference to me one way or the other. However when the people who build the car tell you why things are the way they are perhaps it's time to listen. Yes it's ad propaganda as to why you should buy their glass but it is also informing you the reasons why you shouldn't leave your crappy shattered glass that way.
FACT: auto glass is a structural element in most cars these days. Thus the reason they use urethane adhesives now in unibody cars, not the old butyl they used in full frame cars that did NOT use the windshield as a structural element.
FACT: the passenger side air bag is retained in the car by the windshield and a compromised windshield can cause the air bag to not function in the designed manner.
Broken or poorly installed glass is just an invitation to bad times in a crash. I don't work for a glass shop but I have worked in the collision industry for some time so maybe I just might know something you don't.
I know you won't believe me, I don't really care. But it annoys me when someone spouts bullshit without any real knowledge.
:closed:

spikerS
04-01-2014, 12:23 AM
Are you seriously this dumb? The car maker, yes the guys who are smarter than you, explain what a windshield does these days and you still haven't got the wits to understand. I could care less if you replace your windshield or not. It really makes no difference to me one way or the other. However when the people who build the car tell you why things are the way they are perhaps it's time to listen. Yes it's ad propaganda as to why you should buy their glass but it is also informing you the reasons why you shouldn't leave your crappy shattered glass that way.
FACT: auto glass is a structural element in most cars these days. Thus the reason they use urethane adhesives now in unibody cars, not the old butyl they used in full frame cars that did NOT use the windshield as a structural element.
FACT: the passenger side air bag is retained in the car by the windshield and a compromised windshield can cause the air bag to not function in the designed manner.
Broken or poorly installed glass is just an invitation to bad times in a crash. I don't work for a glass shop but I have worked in the collision industry for some time so maybe I just might know something you don't.
I know you won't believe me, I don't really care. But it annoys me when someone spouts bullshit without any real knowledge.
:closed:

You are quoting sales material.

show me actual research data. otherwise you are just spouting shit. I worked in a service department too, so maybe I just know all about automotive design and crash standards.

And you do care, hence all your posts trying to tell me I am wrong with nothing to back up your claim except a sales brochure.

Fuck, even wikipedia can't give a study reference.

Modern, glued-in windshields contribute to the vehicle's rigidity, but the main force for innovation has historically been the need to prevent injury from sharp glass fragments. Almost all nations now require windshields to stay in one piece even if broken, except if pierced by a strong force. Properly installed automobile windshields are also essential to safety; along with the roof of the car, they provide protection to the vehicle's occupants in the case of a roll-over accident [citation needed].

luxor
04-01-2014, 12:31 AM

Wow x2. I agree with spikers about quoting a sales site, this is no different than Apple glass, or speedy glass and their weak scare tactics.

You definitely read their sales pitch wrong. "a properly installed windshield can absorb the potentially lethal force of the airbag, and help position the bag in front of the occupant. It helps keep drivers and passengers from being thrown through the windshield in the event of a severe accident. " This means a PROPERLY INSTALLED windshield will stay bonded to the car even after the airbag hits it and cracks it to shit. There no mention about any effing crack like you think. YES if the windshield detaches from the car it's bad, YES you can get thrown out, but you can also just as easily through the side windows, and NO it can't "blow out" due to a crack. You OBVIOUSLY need to get YOUR shit straight before giving people false information. Have you ever tried to put a hole through a windshield with a bat? Not as easy as you think due to the laminated layers, so good luck with a "blow out" from a bag of air. The only one full of hot air here is you.

Originally posted by spikers
here, just for you guys that think your windshield is integral to your cabin structure...

Remember, it is just 2 pieces of tempered glass with a sheet of adhesive between.

A head on impact, and yeah, the glass is pretty strong. but a slight tap on the edge, and the whole thing shatters into a gazillion pieces...

look:
8iAdcfFomGA

I've never seen a windshield made out of tempered glass before. Safety glass for windshields use the laminated layers rather than tempered because if a rock hits anywhere on tempered glass and chips it, they will ALWAYS break into little pebbles (because the glass rapidly releases the tension built in from when they were processed). That would probably be very bad if your windshield cracked into little pebbles between the laminated layers when you get a rock chip, you wouldn't be able to see shit lol.

luxor
04-01-2014, 12:37 AM
The car maker, yes the guys who are smarter than you, explain what a windshield does these days and you still haven't got the wits to understand.

LOL how do you know who wrote that? A secretary? A salesperson from the parts counter? It doesn't say anywhere that an Engineer published that so as far as "Courtesy of Mopar Magazine " goes it's a sales pitch to buy their glass.

spikerS
04-01-2014, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by luxor

I've never seen a windshield made out of tempered glass before. Safety glass for windshields use the laminated layers rather than tempered because if a rock hits anywhere on tempered glass and chips it, they will ALWAYS break into little pebbles (because the glass rapidly releases the tension built in from when they were processed). That would probably be very bad if your windshield cracked into little pebbles between the laminated layers when you get a rock chip, you wouldn't be able to see shit lol.

You are right, I would have sworn up and down it was tempered glass laminated together.

Seems I got tempered glass and annealed glass mixed up.

revelations
04-01-2014, 12:49 AM
By George Frost
Research Assistant, Alberta Centre for Injury Control & Research

We’ve all seen the TV commercials declaring that a cracked or chipped windshield can be detrimental to the structural integrity of your vehicle. Is there any merit to this claim, or is this merely a brilliant marketing ploy to sell more repairs and replacements?

An extensive literature search of engineering and academic databases yielded little evidence to support this claim. A similar Google search yielded numerous websites and agencies in support…all of which were windshield repair centres with a vested interest in selling and repairing windshield, or glacier training facilities.

Researchers at Monash University Accident Research Centre in Australia published an extensive review of windshield safety principles and standards. This paper outlines the hazards of windshield chips and cracks, none of which suggest a detriment to the structural integrity of your vehicle. Rather, these aberrations are suggested to be a detriment to the driver’s sight and visual acuity.

Where might the misconception of the role of windshields as a structural piece have come from? Automotive engineering in the US employs a quasi-static roof crush standard (FMVSS 216) which has been criticized because it applies force in a manner that artificially permits the windscreens to play a significant-but-unrealistic role in limiting roof deformation (Mao et al, 2004).

The glass of a windshield differs from side and rear tempered automotive glass in that it is a laminated composite. Two panes of glass are bonded together using a polyvinyl butyral (PVB) resin which holds the shards of glass together and prevents the shrapnel effect in the event of a collision. This design protects not only the occupants of the vehicle from projectiles, but it allows absorption of kinetic energy on impact of external bodies (i.e. pedestrians) by intentional failure. Therefore, this glass is designed to fail under moderate face-impact forces. Can the windshield then offer any substantial structural integrity in the event of a roll-over?

Having said all of this, an unobstructed view is imperative when operating a motor vehicle – for safety reasons and to comply with the provincial law. If your view is impaired by chips, cracks, or pitting, we advise you to have your windshield repaired or replaced. More importantly, replace your wipers at least twice per year or more often if they bounce, make noise, or leave streaks.
- See more at: http://www.acicr.ca/acicr/blog/windshield-safety-a-clear-view#sthash.JXge9zdS.dpuf

spikerS
04-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Are you seriously this dumb? The car maker, yes the guys who are smarter than you, explain what a windshield does these days ....*snip*

Yeah, those guys are probably all smarter than I, but then again, the marketers are smarter than you...

which is worse? :dunno:

Mista Bob
04-01-2014, 02:42 AM
revelations just ended the thread with his post.
All one needs to know.

Lex350
04-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Another question. Is it even possible to drive around Calgary and not have a crack in your windshield. When I bought my Rav, I had it 43 days before I got a crack in the windshield. Sometime later I replaced it. It lasted 31 days before it was toast again.

Tik-Tok
04-01-2014, 09:46 AM
I've never had to replace a windshield due to cracks, and I drive Deerfoot every day. I rarely even get chips, but when I do, I fill it immediately. This goes a long way to help.

spikerS
04-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
Another question. Is it even possible to drive around Calgary and not have a crack in your windshield. When I bought my Rav, I had it 43 days before I got a crack in the windshield. Sometime later I replaced it. It lasted 31 days before it was toast again.

Ask Mibz's wife (sorry, I got no idea who she is on Beyond). Apparently she has never gotten a rock chip or crack until she followed behind my truck. :rofl:

LSChevelle
04-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Good info in here, it always bothered me when people would spout off about the windshield being a structurally integral part of the vehicle..

I honestly think it depends on the vehicle/glass. I had the original sheet of glass in my yukon for 10 years. It was pitted to shit but never cracked. Finally got it replaced and it was cracked after a couple of months. Of course I got the cheap crystal glass windshield so I blame that.

On my old car (2g talon) I never even had a chip. Rocks would just bounce off, again probably because of the angle the windshield sits at.

Lex350
04-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I've never had to replace a windshield due to cracks, and I drive Deerfoot every day. I rarely even get chips, but when I do, I fill it immediately. This goes a long way to help.

I do think it also has a lot to do with the type of vehicle. I don't get near as many chips or cracks in my IS350 windshield as the Rav.

Xtrema
04-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Perfect. My Google fu shows mostly biased opinion/information supporting the myth. And the fact that it comes from mostly auto glass websites made me skeptical of the claim.

It's nice to have some real science behind it.

jwslam
04-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Ask Mibz's wife (sorry, I got no idea who she is on Beyond). Apparently she has never gotten a rock chip or crack until she followed behind my truck. :rofl:
So the one time she got a chip/crack was the one time she drove when she was allowed to leave the kitchen? :rofl: :guns:

01RedDX
04-01-2014, 01:24 PM

Mibz
04-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Ask Mibz's wife (sorry, I got no idea who she is on Beyond). Apparently she has never gotten a rock chip or crack until she followed behind my truck. :rofl: You think I allow my wife on the internet? Let alone on Beyond?

Originally posted by jwslam
So the one time she got a chip/crack was the one time she drove when she was allowed to leave the kitchen? :rofl: :guns: This guy gets it.

But yeah, I dunno how she does it. I give her shit for tailgating all the time, too. Maybe that's the trick, follow so closely that the rocks just hit your bumper.

Seth1968
04-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Yes, my wind shield is cracked as described. No, I have no appointment to replace it.

We might want to have s better look at the vested interest that recommends such things.

luxor
04-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Some rock chip repair places can even fill the end of a crack so it doesn't spread more. Sometimes it's worth it if it's spreading towards the driver's view. That's another big FU to these fucking scammers trying to tell you that a crack in your windshield will basically kill you.

firebane
04-01-2014, 10:18 PM
We got a rock chip fixed at a reputable shop and shortly after we noticed massive distortion on the glass and then when the windshield got another chip it literally went around the distortion.

Rat Fink
04-02-2014, 06:51 AM

Canucks3322
04-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Kind of off topic but what would beyonders recommend for a mobile windshield replacement service? I don't have time to take my gf's car into a shop and she doesn't either, would be nice if they could just come on a Saturday morning....

Kloubek
04-04-2014, 08:32 PM
How's this for the epitome of marketing bullshit?

22RQNCTZpM0

Seth1968
04-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
How's this for the epitome of marketing bullshit?

22RQNCTZpM0

:clap: