PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi Kills Off Lancer Evolution

GoChris
03-31-2014, 07:19 PM
http://www.autonews.com/article/20140331/RETAIL07/140339992/mitsubishi-to-end-lancer-evolution-production-another-potential

Mitsubishi Motors Corp. will pull the plug on the Lancer Evolution, the brand’s all-wheel-drive performance sedan, at the end of the nameplate’s current generation.

cam_wmh
03-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Whoa

schurchill39
03-31-2014, 07:46 PM
I definitely did not see that coming. Its a shame, but I guess if they are moving towards SUVs and electric vehicles something has to go.

dimi
03-31-2014, 07:52 PM
Pull the plug on the only good car you have.

schocker
03-31-2014, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by dimi
Pull the plug on the only good car you have.
Sorry, the mirage is an awesome guy :rofl:

know1edge
03-31-2014, 08:57 PM
I thought this was announced a long ass time ago

jacky4566
03-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Yea but you could have 5 Mirage for the price of an Evo.

k1l4m
03-31-2014, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Yea but you could have 5 Mirage for the price of an Evo.

1 Evo > 5 Mirage's :burnout:

Redlyne_mr2
03-31-2014, 09:47 PM
Wonder if this signals the end of Mitsubishi... Seems to be going the way of Suzuki.

Xtrema
03-31-2014, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Wonder if this signals the end of Mitsubishi... Seems to be going the way of Suzuki.

Sounds like they will switch from selling rebadged Chryslers to rebadge Renaults, interesting business plan.

Wonder if when Chrysler was sold to Fiat, Mitsu lost access to all joint platforms.

Sugarphreak
03-31-2014, 10:01 PM

firebane
03-31-2014, 10:10 PM
Personally the lancers of today are NOTHING like the lancers of yesteryear and you see more moms driving lancers now than anyone else.

Benny
03-31-2014, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

Ditto. And I remember making some comment at the time like, "I should get an Evo before the only ones available are all second hand and are totally fucked to shit by a previous owner". And then I look at the interior versus the price tag and remember why I likely won't buy one.

Redlined_8000
03-31-2014, 10:54 PM
Sad day! :(

georgemagana
03-31-2014, 10:57 PM
Is not true. Shit like this comes up every week on evoxforums lol

Wont be official till mitsu announces it.

A new thread of the new evo 11 also popped up today as well. Just rumors.

schocker
04-01-2014, 07:51 AM
They kind of have announced it....

"Mitsubishi Motors does not have any plans to design a successor with the current concept, as a high-performance four-wheel drive gasoline-powered sedan," said Namie Koketsu, a spokesperson for Mitsubishi, according to Automotive News. "Mitsubishi Motors will explore the possibilities of high-performance models that incorporate electric vehicle technology."

A790
04-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Date?

Xtrema
04-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by A790
Date?

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/will-mitsubishi-end-production-lancer-evo-x-after-year

Sounds like 2015 is the last model year for EVO X. Will they keep making them after the new Lancer arrives like Subaru did with WRX, anybody's guess.

schocker
04-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by A790
Date?
March 31, 2014

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140331/RETAIL07/140339992/mitsubishi-to-end-lancer-evolution-production-another-potential

KRyn
04-01-2014, 09:07 AM
I sat in the new Evo at the recent car show. It had the worst interior of any car there. It was significantly worse than the Dodge rental I recently had. I don't know how anyone could justify buying a car with that terrible of an interior. It was so bad it made the STI interior feel like high end.

94boosted
04-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by know1edge

x3

Nothing really new.

If they kill the EVO :(

Shlade
04-01-2014, 09:19 AM
shitty deal.

Was going to get one of these before I ordered my ST...

The Recaro seats just aren't comfortable for me and justifying the expensive price tag for what little you get IMO on the EVO wasn't worth it.

Interior is so plain and dull as well.

Fun as hell to drive though.

Ca_Silvia13
04-01-2014, 09:22 AM
So if the STI doesn't have any real competition is it also going to continue the downward spiral of AWD sport sedans??

schocker
04-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
So if the STI doesn't have any real competition is it also going to continue the downward spiral of AWD sport sedans??
CLA45 AMG, S3? :dunno:

STi almost has a better interior than a regular CLA though.... :D

A790
04-01-2014, 10:13 AM
I dunno, this is suspiciously close to April fools to me.

Inzane
04-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by schocker
CLA45 AMG, S3? :dunno:

and add 335 x-drive :thumbsup:

Alphazone
04-01-2014, 10:27 AM
at least the evo's spirit (look) is in the STI so technically its not really dead? :nut:

Albertosaurus
04-01-2014, 10:38 AM
A long time coming.

Mitsubishi doesn't really know what it's doing anymore.

busdepot
04-01-2014, 10:51 AM
When Mitsubishi motors was sold by Daimler back to Mitsubishi in Japan, they really only focused on just getting cars on the road and keeping production on. They literally spent no time in R&D for new models or anything. There is a new SUV coming that is an actual proper 4x4 SUV like a Montero, except newer but that's it. All their models are getting a bit long in the tooth and are at the end of their life cycle essentially. They have a very steep road ahead of them to revamp their model line-up and do all of the R&D to bring those to market in a fraction of the time it normally takes a company.

The EVO is being discontinued because the Lancer may be at the end of the line. They will in all likelihood bring out a new performance model, just not until there's a successor for the Lancer that has been developed.

heavyD
04-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
I sat in the new Evo at the recent car show. It had the worst interior of any car there. It was significantly worse than the Dodge rental I recently had. I don't know how anyone could justify buying a car with that terrible of an interior. It was so bad it made the STI interior feel like high end.

I don't know about that. I owned a 2008 MR and IMO that interior is better than my STI's but there's not a lot to choose between either outside of the EVO having far superior seats.

flipstah
04-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Like majority of people said, it's been announced a long time ago and it was obvious when they shifted focus on their electric platform.

A2VR6
04-01-2014, 11:28 AM
I don't know how anyone could justify buying a car with that terrible of an interior.

Thats what I thought too... until I drove one. I'd be able to live with the crappy interior based on how fun the thing was to drive.

KRyn
04-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

Thats what I thought too... until I drove one. I'd be able to live with the crappy interior based on how fun the thing was to drive.

Do you have one car that serves both needs (daily driver & track use)?
Going forward I will not sacrafice creature comforts in my daily driver. Currently owning only a single car that has to double as a weekend auto-cross car and daily driver is not fun. I will do one of the following:
1) compromise on the daily driver (less performance, more comfort)
2) always own a track/summer car that I only have to drive on the weekends
3) buy an M3

I couldn't deal with having to get into an Evo everyday as the interior is so nasty. I am starting to hate my current car for the same reason. Exhaust drones, smells like gas, mileage is terrible, etc.

Canmorite
04-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Well that's sad. What does Mitsubishi even make besdies the EVO? :rofl:

Xtrema
04-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

and add 335 x-drive :thumbsup:

235 x-drive, when it comes.

busdepot
04-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Like majority of people said, it's been announced a long time ago and it was obvious when they shifted focus on their electric platform.

Their electric platform is not a big seller right now. The sales numbers don't lie for the miev :rofl: It cost less to develop the electric car for them because there was a lot of R&D already done from other Mitsubishi entities that could be applied. Their automotive group will continue to be primarily focused on gas vehicles for the foreseeable future. They just need to speed up their product development because they're way behind starting it. I would probably avoid their next gen of cars because they will not be as well developed as their competitors.

schocker
04-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
235 x-drive, when it comes.
The interior is so bad though...
I wouldn't compare the 335i Xdrive or S4 or M400 4matic because then you are comparing a $60k car to a $40k car.
They are all better though of course :D

Tik-Tok
04-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Well that's sad. What does Mitsubishi even make besdies the EVO? :rofl:

Umm, that chick car, the one with the commercials Dave Chapelle made fun of, lol.

faiz999
04-01-2014, 03:51 PM

Going forward I will not sacrafice creature comforts in my daily driver. Currently owning only a single car that has to double as a weekend auto-cross car and daily driver is not fun. I will do one of the following:
3) buy an M3

I couldn't deal with having to get into an Evo everyday as the interior is so nasty. I am starting to hate my current car for the same reason. Exhaust drones, smells like gas, mileage is terrible, etc.

haha its funny cuz these were my issues before i got one. i wasn't sold on the interior, but man that thing is so mcuh fun to drive and i couldnt find anything that came close to that feeling at the price. it was either get the luxury and creature comforts of a luxury sedan or have fun driving something and get slightly less luxury. I opted for the feeling of absolute joy when i drive, rather than the ability to move my seats electronically or have a digital temperature system (and yes i care about that shit). i also wish it had a 7th gear for highway driving, but w/e those are just things to nitpick on.

i agree tho, down the future, im going to opt for a daily driver with less power, more features and hopefully have something for the weekends in a RWD format. having a stiff suspension on calgary roads can be really shitty sometimes and burning gas like a mofo is never fun, esp out of a damn 4 banger.

Xtrema
04-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by schocker

The interior is so bad though...

But we are comparing to Subaru and Mitsubishi, BMW is on par here.

A2VR6
04-02-2014, 08:43 AM

3) buy an M3

I do have a car that serves both needs... Funny enough that you mention it later down in your post haha.

Granted before I got the M3 I did daily my S2000 for a few years and it wasn't too bad... Prefer the m3 10/10 times however.

heavyD
04-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

But we are comparing to Subaru and Mitsubishi, BMW is on par here.

The worst BMW interior is still light years better than any Subaru or Mitsubishi interior. My STI had interior rattles the day I took it home from the dealer and in this respect it's probably the worst interior of any car I've owned as I've never owned a car that rattled this much and in so many places. Every time I dynamat one spot another rattle comes up somewhere else. You simply aren't paying for a nice interior when you purchase and EVO or STI you are paying for a hopped up car based on an economy car platform.

Best thing about the EVO compared to competition is that the engine will last unlike the STI where nobody makes it to 100,000 kms on the original engine. Sad to see it go especially considering Subaru is still offering one of the most fragile engines in the history of automobiles in the 2015 STI. Chances are if Mitsubishi came out with a 2015 EVO Subaru would have tried harder to get a new engine into the STI.

superchargedman
04-02-2014, 11:35 PM
I absolutely agree. Sometimes I groan at the creaks and the idiosyncratic nuances of my evo x, but then it snows, and it pulls like mad like a tank through the worst conditions. This discontinuation of the evo solidified my resolve to hold on to the car for just a bit longer and appreciate it before I move on to something like the 235i with xdrive.

heavyD
04-03-2014, 09:24 AM
FYI the EVO has not been cancelled for North America as per official letter in this link. Production will continue for 2015 only for the North American market.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216458

bobafixed
04-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Best thing about the EVO compared to competition is that the engine will last unlike the STI where nobody makes it to 100,000 kms on the original engine.

Hi, 100 000 km on the original engine here and still going strong. Had some minor rattling issues that disappeared after a month.

Best not to make broad generalizations based on anecdotal evidence perhaps?

wtb
04-04-2014, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by bobafixed

Hi, 100 000 km on the original engine here and still going strong. Had some minor rattling issues that disappeared after a month.

based on personal experience...i agree with HeavyD. Just look on iwsti or nasioc and there is a general consensus that these engines are not built to last

heavyD
04-04-2014, 07:09 AM

Glad to hear that some of you make it to that milestone. Nope it's not a broad generalization. Just check out the used market and try and find a bunch of them with over 50k kms on the original engine. It's not easy. There are two of us at my place of work with 2013 STI sedans. Mine has had Cobb OTS Stg. 1 maps since the summer while his is bone stock. His car is awaiting a new engine as we speak for ringland failure on cylinder 4. As wtb said if you join iwsti you will see many, many members that have gone through one or two engines and a lot of them stock or only modded with Cobb OTS maps that aren't very aggressive.

It's not like I announced ground breaking news. It is very well known that these engines are fragile and very susceptible to ringland failure.

4doorj
04-04-2014, 08:34 AM
This news kinda makes me want to buy another one.

heavyD
04-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by 4doorj
This news kinda makes me want to buy another one.

No kidding. The nostalgia of owning a 2015 the last year would be pretty cool as once they are gone they are gone. I'm actually thinking about it lol but I would have to figure out how to do it without triggering a divorce as I have a brand new Cobb turbo back exhaust in the basement waiting to go on the STI in the spring. First world issues.:rofl:

Since production for the 2015's doesn't start until the summer maybe there will a special edition like they did with the last year of the IX or something as that would be pretty cool even if it was just cosmetic like different interior colors, wheels, etc.

bobafixed
04-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by wtb

based on personal experience...i agree with HeavyD. Just look on iwsti or nasioc and there is a general consensus that these engines are not built to last

The debate wasn't about ringlands or whether or not the engines were built to last.

Someone mentioned that nobody makes it to 100k km on the original engine, and that's not true.

I'm pretty sure the guy that lives down the street from me has hit 100k with his STI as well. I usually chat with him in the spring, so I'll see if he's had any major engine issues.

A790
04-04-2014, 10:30 AM

The debate wasn't about ringlands or whether or not the engines were built to last.

Someone mentioned that nobody makes it to 100k km on the original engine, and that's not true.

I'm pretty sure the guy that lives down the street from me has hit 100k with his STI as well. I usually chat with him in the spring, so I'll see if he's had any major engine issues.
I gather you're the kind of person that takes things quite literally?

Darkane
04-04-2014, 10:36 AM

No kidding. The nostalgia of owning a 2015 the last year would be pretty cool as once they are gone they are gone. I'm actually thinking about it lol but I would have to figure out how to do it without triggering a divorce as I have a brand new Cobb turbo back exhaust in the basement waiting to go on the STI in the spring. First world issues.:rofl:

Since production for the 2015's doesn't start until the summer maybe there will a special edition like they did with the last year of the IX or something as that would be pretty cool even if it was just cosmetic like different interior colors, wheels, etc.

Wouldn't that be awesome.

Maybe they're cooking up a North American FQ400 version as the swan song.

Out with a bang.

4doorj
04-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Out with a bang.
Now that would be awesome:drool:
No new r&d, they would literally just have to bring it over

gpomp
04-04-2014, 11:01 AM
FQ-440 MR:
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/evolution/

heavyD
04-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Out with a bang.

That would be awesome but for some reason the Japanese manufacturers never bring the good stuff to North America. I'm sure they sell considerably more EVO's in the US compared to the UK yet they get the FQ's.

4WARNED
04-04-2014, 04:10 PM

maybe there will a special edition like they did with the last year of the IX or something as that would be pretty cool even if it was just cosmetic like different interior colors, wheels, etc.

My banker would NOT be impressed if they came out with a final edition. I'd have to add it to the fleet.... crap.....

Benny
04-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
FQ-440 MR:
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/evolution/

Wickedly badass awesome, and I would love to drive one.

But... £50,000 = $91029.80

That's a lot of money for a car with that crappy of an interior.

heavyD
04-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Benny

Wickedly badass awesome, and I would love to drive one.

But... £50,000 = $91029.80

That's a lot of money for a car with that crappy of an interior.

You realize that's not a valid price conversion as cars cost considerably more in the UK right?

wtb
04-07-2014, 02:38 PM
if they come out with a special edition i would definitely consider getting rid of my 10' gsr and getting one of those! except it would be a second hand one because i'm not sure if I would want to pay $55k for a new evo lol.

You gotta draw the line somewhere

Disoblige
04-07-2014, 02:50 PM
They're only making 40 of those FQ-440 MR's for the UK, will be easily sold out and be worth a lot in the future I'd imagine.

I doubt there would be anything special for the 2015 Evo; at most, I would see minor cosmetic add-ons for the final year (as mentioned). Also, 2015 only has the GSR Evo, no more dual-clutch after 2014.

faiz999
04-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
They're only making 40 of those FQ-440 MR's for the UK, will be easily sold out and be worth a lot in the future I'd imagine.

I doubt there would be anything special for the 2015 Evo; at most, I would see minor cosmetic add-ons for the final year (as mentioned). Also, 2015 only has the GSR Evo, no more dual-clutch after 2014.

im not sure if thats a good thing for me, as i got the MR.

hopefully itll be a bit more in demand going forward.

Xtrema
04-07-2014, 03:54 PM

You realize that's not a valid price conversion as cars cost considerably more in the UK right?

Well a 335i starts at £37,025. So from a % perspective, FQ-440 will be 30% more expensive than a base 335i or ~$67K.

Considering performance for the $, it's not bad still.

There is no AWD car with that kind of numbers with a DCT, from the factories.

Disoblige
04-07-2014, 04:06 PM
If an FQ-440 MR was ever in Canada, I'd buy it if it was $75k OTD. But I know it'd cost more than that.

220 hp/L :drool: