PDA

View Full Version : Start your engines! Community information session – April 1, 2014

ghostS10RT
04-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Please join RMP us at a community information session scheduled for April 1, 2014 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. (presentation at 7) at the Airdrie Best Western to discuss our proposed plans to build a new road course and driving training facility in Rocky View County 1/2 mile north east of Airdrie.

Details:

Date: Tuesday, April 1, 2014
Time: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. (brief presentation 7 pm)

No RSVP required, everyone welcome! We hope you can join us to learn more about this world-class one of a kind recreation destination

Sorry for the short notice everyone, I just got back into town and saw this.

Hope to see you there!

v2kai
04-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Wish there was more notice, I definitely would've dropped by had I had time to clear my schedule.

ghostS10RT
04-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Just got back from the meeting. $70 million dollar project

They will have:
-Wetlands - for Olds Collage Reaserch
-Soccor Fields
-Baseball dimonds
-Driver Training and skid pads
-Police training track
-Road course

NO DRAG STRIP but "Secert Street" events during daylight hours only (not sure how that is going to work).
The reason for no 1/4 mile : "no one came forward with funding for the drag strip"

No spectator seating

The president made it very clear that the track will only be open to Street Legal Vehicals

I am truly disappointed about the whole thing.

Mibz
04-01-2014, 09:27 PM
No spectator seating That bit is news to me. Hm.

e31
04-01-2014, 09:48 PM
This place sounded a lot better when it was 100% speculation. The more details that surface the more it sounds like Shakers 2.0 + Cops. Only fitting that it's less than a mile from a feedlot...

Sentry
04-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by ghostS10RT
The president made it very clear that the track will only be open to Street Legal Vehicals
So wait. Road course but no race cars? That's horse shit.

rage2
04-01-2014, 10:48 PM
With their proximity to Airdrie homes, I wouldn't be surprised if there are noise limits with DB meters at different parts of the course even for street legal roadcourse only. Laguna Seca has the same deal, go over the noise limit 3x and you get the boot. You'd be dreaming if it could ever run a drag strip (unless it was purely OEM cars haha).

JZatBMR
04-01-2014, 11:48 PM
None of this is surprising when you look at their noise impact assessment for the road course. Airdrie is not the issue (for now) but their Lmax at the surrounding farmhouses was 68, which is going to be very difficult to operate and explains why there never could be a true drag strip there.

The comment about no one coming forward for funding a drag strip makes no sense at all. Isn't the developer and their investors funding the project? Sound is the issue, just not sure why they don't say so.

ghostS10RT
04-02-2014, 06:35 AM
Its all very weird.

As I walked around the room last night talking to varous people from RMV and locals, I was getting the feeling that there was a underlying motive.

One gentlman that I spoke to was almost forcing me to convert to road racing on the spot. He just kept saying "its a rush running down a straight away @205mph in my Lotus and having to get down to 66mph for the corner". Then "my Ferrari pulls 1G in some corners"
I really don't have anything against road racing at alll, just listen to what the needs of the people are.

They are looking to move dirt by spring 2015.

Hallowed_point
04-02-2014, 07:44 AM
The no spectator seating part is kind of disappointing. :confused:

Also, street legal vehicles only :confused: x2.

I'm still excited to have a facility though.

rage2
04-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
The no spectator seating part is kind of disappointing. :confused:
Why would there be a need for spectator seating in a country club style motorsports park? It's not like they're running racing events there. You're not allowed in there unless you're a member anyways, and if you're a member, you'll be out there driving. Guests would be in the car as passengers. I've been to a handful of these types of tracks, and typically, the only spectator area would be in the paddock area, such as on the roof of the paddock for maximum (but still shitty) visibility.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-02-2014, 08:48 AM

Dafuq. :nut:

Sentry
04-02-2014, 12:28 PM
So 2 new racetracks potentially being built in alberta, neither of which are any use to me because they both require you to be rich and a member?

JZatBMR
04-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
So 2 new racetracks potentially being built in alberta, neither of which are any use to me because they both require you to be rich and a member?

This couldn't be farther from the truth, with regards to Badlands. This has been discussed so many times on many places, but the whole concept behind the Badlands is to make motorsports affordable, more available, to get more people involved, and be publically accessable. Its not a private club and was never intended to be. One of the founding principles was that getting access to Race city was difficult (unless you were a member of a club or group) and many people who wanted to get on a track didn't know how to go about it.

rage2
04-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Membership just guarantees tracktime without dealing with rental. I believe both projects are still renting out the track to clubs, individuals, etc. No different than Race City, you wouldn't go there to run on the track on your own, you'd join a lapping day that's organized by someone or a club.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by JZatBMR

This couldn't be farther from the truth, with regards to Badlands. This has been discussed so many times on many places, but the whole concept behind the Badlands is to make motorsports affordable, more available, to get more people involved, and be publically accessable. Its not a private club and was never intended to be. One of the founding principles was that getting access to Race city was difficult (unless you were a member of a club or group) and many people who wanted to get on a track didn't know how to go about it.

I'm really glad Jay comes around and answers questions and gives info, I think it really shows how committed and excited he is on Badlands!

Sentry
04-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Membership just guarantees tracktime without dealing with rental. I believe both projects are still renting out the track to clubs
That's what I wanted to hear, and that's how I thought they were being run.

EDIT:

Originally posted by rage2

Why would there be a need for spectator seating in a country club style motorsports park? It's not like they're running racing events there. You're not allowed in there unless you're a member anyways, and if you're a member, you'll be out there driving.
This is what had me confused.

JZatBMR
04-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Badlands will be a semi-private facility. At least one track would be rented out per day. If you are going to do multiple days per year regularly, it actually will be cheaper in the long run to be a member. We realize many can't afford to be members from the outset (although being able to finance a membership should also be an option so it may be more affordable than you think).

JZatBMR
04-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Also, we certainly would be hosting events, and the spectator areas would more than sufficient capacity and allow great views off both tracks, but it would be incorporated into the architecture to maximize space.

LOLzilla
04-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Both this projects are running the risk of alienating a group of users. It speaks volumes when no representative from Rockyview Motorsports Park have come forward to this community. The lack of support for anything drag racing is disappointing and I wouldn't completely be surprised if the proposed secret street theme thing gets dropped completely closer to the actually opening date. Remember when there was talk about them making a 1/4 track later after the parks launch? :dunno: And now there is no seating? :dunno: RMP was originally pitching this as a all inclusive facility? :dunno:

It'll be interesting to see what happens when all of this starts getting built. At this point in time I envision running arm drop drag racing at BMR, at least they have seating proposed.

Mibz
04-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Is there a waiting list for memberships already, or are you waiting until you're further along?

Tik-Tok
04-02-2014, 03:25 PM

This couldn't be farther from the truth, with regards to Badlands. This has been discussed so many times on many places,

You may want to include something about that in your sites FAQ then, because all I read there (unless I'm missing something), is MEMBERSHIP MEMBERSHIP MEMBERSHIP.

Originally posted by LOLzilla
Both this projects are running the risk of alienating a group of users. It speaks volumes when no representative from Rockyview Motorsports Park have come forward to this community.

Seriously? There wasn't a single word directly from Badlands until last year when they had their first re-zoning meeting, and Rockyview isn't even close to getting to that point yet.

civic_stylez
04-02-2014, 03:45 PM
With the noise restrictions planned, i guess bikes are out...:banghead:

mr2mike
04-02-2014, 04:22 PM
You're sure it's only street legal vehicles or just safety inspected vehicles?
I can understand not letting Bobby with his bald tires and oil leaks on the track. There's lots of non street legal cars that are more meticulously kept than a street car.

Mibz
04-02-2014, 06:10 PM
The wording he used during the private presentation was that noise restrictions would fall pretty much exactly in line with Federal regulations, meaning that if your exhaust was street legal, it was legal for the track. If it's not, then you're out of luck.

If there are other street legal requirements that exist, he hasn't mentioned them.

Originally posted by civic_stylez
With the noise restrictions planned, i guess bikes are out...:banghead: If your exhaust is noise compliant then you'll be fine. I believe both tracks have specifically mentioned that bikes will be allowed.

JZatBMR
04-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by LOLzilla
Both this projects are running the risk of alienating a group of users. It speaks volumes when no representative from Rockyview Motorsports Park have come forward to this community. The lack of support for anything drag racing is disappointing and I wouldn't completely be surprised if the proposed secret street theme thing gets dropped completely closer to the actually opening date. Remember when there was talk about them making a 1/4 track later after the parks launch? :dunno: And now there is no seating? :dunno: RMP was originally pitching this as a all inclusive facility? :dunno:

It'll be interesting to see what happens when all of this starts getting built. At this point in time I envision running arm drop drag racing at BMR, at least they have seating proposed.

We have discussed a form of drag racing.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/380679/badlands-motorsports-drag-in-laps-plan/

Not much comments there but if you follow the facebook link there is also a long discussion regarding it.

Both of my current track cars are setup for drag racing (and autocross) as they are both currently only setup for SCCA ProSolo events where there is a drag race tree launch followed by an autocross and have been to almost every event in Western North America for the past 5 years. This requires 100s of launches per year (and in the case of the Exige multiple broken trannys, diffs, and axles). So I wouldn't want to behind a project that didn't have some form of 1/4 mile activity, but as discussed in various threads a true NHRA strip is just not possible here.

The Drag-in-lap concept is the same idea but with a full 1/4mile straight. If you dont like the turns at the end, you can sandbag them.

JZatBMR
04-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You may want to include something about that in your sites FAQ then, because all I read there (unless I'm missing something), is MEMBERSHIP MEMBERSHIP MEMBERSHIP.

Seriously? There wasn't a single word directly from Badlands until last year when they had their first re-zoning meeting, and Rockyview isn't even close to getting to that point yet.

I'm pretty sure this exact info was posted here in the Badlands thread but that has gotten so long I can't find it there:

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=34320.0

The FAQ addressed track rentals:

http://www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/frequently-asked-questions/#q29

Yes, there is way more questions regarding memberships as that is what the vast majority of email questions we get are asking. The answer to track rentals is pretty basic: Yes.

Our website went live in November 2008, weeks before the project was presented to the Public at two Town Hall meetings in both Kneehill and Wheatland County. Those meetings are directed towards the local area residents to get Feedback, and not to the Motorsports community.

I don't see any need to highly publicly promote a project until it is getting close to getting approved which takes a long time. As before approvals are in place, it's all just wishful thinking.

JZatBMR
04-03-2014, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Mibz

If your exhaust is noise compliant then you'll be fine. I believe both tracks have specifically mentioned that bikes will be allowed.

At Badlands it's not just about allowing bikes, but making sure from the outset the tracks are safe and accomodating for bikes as its expected they would be a high percentage of the users.

JZatBMR
04-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Is there a waiting list for memberships already, or are you waiting until you're further along?

No plans for membership sales until we actually have started construction and are 100% certain what the end product will be. Not wanting to take anyones money until we actually have something tangible to sell.

m10-power
04-03-2014, 08:54 AM
He just kept saying "its a rush running down a straight away @205mph in my Lotus and having to get down to 66mph for the corner". Then "my Ferrari pulls 1G in some corners"

Lol what Lotus street car does 200+mph, let alone on any racetrack straightaway...

I am disappointed myself in what these guys are doing. To be honest I dont understand why anyone would attempt to build something like this so close to a major city that is rapidly growing.

Everytime I read anything about it it seems to get more restrictive and less about a racing facility...

Really glad Jay has his approvals as I see Badlands as the only option for me.

rx7_turbo2
04-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by m10-power

Everytime I read anything about it it seems to get more restrictive and less about a racing facility...

Agreed.

I personally don't think Rockyview has a snowballs chance in hell of becoming reality. They're so far behind at this point. If it does happen my guess is it will be a fraction of its current design. The guys running it seem to be pretty good at hyping the thing that's for sure, when it comes to delivering anything so far they're just blowing smoke as far as I'm concerned.

Badlands is our best shot at a facility even remotely close, and from what I've seen of the proposed track layout and configurations, facilities etc, it has a real good shot at being a hell of a facility.

94boosted
04-03-2014, 04:46 PM

Both of my current track cars are setup for drag racing (and autocross) as they are both currently only setup for SCCA ProSolo events where there is a drag race tree launch followed by an autocross and have been to almost every event in Western North America for the past 5 years. This requires 100s of launches per year (and in the case of the Exige multiple broken trannys, diffs, and axles). So I wouldn't want to behind a project that didn't have some form of 1/4 mile activity, but as discussed in various threads a true NHRA strip is just not possible here.

Your Lotus is breaking tranny's, diffs and axles but the Z06 is not :eek: Your Z06 is a monster.

Really glad Jay has his approvals as I see Badlands as the only option for me.

:werd:

Sentry
04-03-2014, 04:49 PM

Lol what Lotus street car does 200+mph, let alone on any racetrack straightaway...
Speaking of which, what's the latest on the Esprit? :D

jacky4566
04-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Street legal cars.
Are we talking helmet and safety inspection or
"street legal" like a rally car is street legal but still need a cage.

JZatBMR
04-03-2014, 06:13 PM
The purpose of these Town Hall presentations, which are a requirement of Bylaw change applications, are supposed to be to get the facts to the public affected by the bylaw change in the county. Not sure why they wanted to use that venue to also market it to motorsports enthusiests. Pretty certain the majority of those in the vicinity don't care much about the performance of exotic cars.

But irregardless, their promotion should be based on fact and if that is indeed what was said, it shows a pretty poor knowledge of fact. My mildly modded exige makes around 290 crank hp and maxxed out at race city at 118mph due to the fact its drag Coeff is over .5. Doing 205mph in a lotus on a roadcourse is not even close to reality. And if a Ferrari could only do 1g on a roadcourse it must be on all-seasons.

JZatBMR
04-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Your Lotus is breaking tranny's, diffs and axles but the Z06 is not :eek: Your Z06 is a monster.

:werd:

The Lotus uses the tranny out of a FWD Celica GTS. It wasn't designed for a RWD mid engine application, and then launching it at 5000rpm with a clutch drop on Hoosiers is just way out of what the tranny can take. The Z06 driveline is pretty beefy and the weak link in the axles. I keep a pair in the trailer and so far have been lucky.

m10-power
04-03-2014, 07:02 PM

Speaking of which, what's the latest on the Esprit? :D

Esprit is a lifestyle...

:rofl:

I have two in my garage getting work done, if I ever get mine done it should be quite the machine.

Billet gearbox, LSD, custom axles, forged engine, sending cams off for a regrind, custom short runner large plenum split intake with dual 65mm throttle bodies. Ordering an AEM Infinity ECU to get rid of the junk factory ecu...

If it doesnt make 600hp im going to be disappointed, will see if we ever see summer...

Sentry
04-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Bad ass, I love when people are brave enough to do significant mods to older exotics like that. What turbo(s)?

m10-power
04-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Bad ass, I love when people are brave enough to do significant mods to older exotics like that. What turbo(s)?

Pair of gt2560r ball bearing turbos which will be the limiter of this build, bigger turbos bring much more complications with these cars as I'd need custom exhaust manifolds made, not out of the question but for now I'll stay with these.

Maxt
04-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Esprit is a lifestyle...

:rofl:

I have two in my garage getting work done, if I ever get mine done it should be quite the machine.

Billet gearbox, LSD, custom axles, forged engine, sending cams off for a regrind, custom short runner large plenum split intake with dual 65mm throttle bodies. Ordering an AEM Infinity ECU to get rid of the junk factory ecu...

If it doesnt make 599.1 hp im going to be disappointed, will see if we ever see summer...
Fixed.

m10-power
04-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

Fixed.

On your heart breaker dyno I dont doubt it...

rx7_turbo2
04-05-2014, 09:15 PM

On your heart breaker dyno I dont doubt it... This has turned into just a big dick waving contest lol ;)

Mibz
04-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
This has turned into just a big dick waving contest lol ;) You can say that at the bottom of pretty much any Beyond, nay, internet thread.