PDA

View Full Version : Window Replacement (home)

JfuckinC
04-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Hey Guys,

Any suggestions on who i can call to quote replacing some exterior windows on an older home? I only realyl know of Gienow(sp?) but i assume they are one of the more expensive outfits?

Any personal experience with who was good to work with? i need about 4 small basement windows replaced as well as 4 larger upstairs windows replaced.

Thanks!

Nufy
04-02-2014, 11:27 AM
PM Sent

ExtraSlow
04-02-2014, 11:27 AM
If you search, this has been discussed a few times. I have only used Western Windows, and I found thier service to be flawless, and the prices were good. I reccomend them.

Alterac
04-02-2014, 05:13 PM
ecoline - terrible experience, installs did not know English, and fucked everything up. Had to get them to completely replace a door, and redo most the windows at the in-laws place.

All Weather Windows - bad experience, they ordered the wrong door 3 times, and installs the front window poorly. Used them for my previous house.

Recent quotes:
lux - would never return my calls for a quote

western windows - Mid line on quote price, and decent sales team

superior - most expensive of the quotes I received.

Greg Martineau Projects / Gienow - Actually cheapest of the quotes, and great service. (went with them for the install).

I had a huge bow window, a sliding door, and a simple slider kitchen window.

90_Shelby
04-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Try Pella. Recently replaced all windows and exterior doors using Pella products.

jdmakkord
04-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Stay far far away from AAA windows. Shitty product and shifty service. I've had good luck with lux.

-=MJ=-
04-02-2014, 09:12 PM
I just went through this and got 6 quotes. Went with Supreme windows, not the cheapest quote but it the least expensive for something that was good. They did not nickle and dime me with cladding options, and other options.

Western would have been my second choice.

Weapon_R
04-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Meridian windows is the cheapest I've found. They also do good work. I've used them about a half dozen times.

Aleks
04-03-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm trying to replace all my windows. Wondering what was everyone getting quoted roughly per window?

I got 1 quote so far for vinyl inside and out, triple pane, R8, installed that came out to roughly $1,000/ window. They are typically 40-45" by 50" some bigger some smaller, mix of casement and picture types.

mr5oh
04-22-2014, 02:49 PM
I know this probably doesn't help you much, but I replaced all the windows on my mainfloor. The house was built in 92, and we have some pretty large windows (23 windows)
I ended up going tripple glazed, and added all of the options with the glass (solr guard..etc.)

I ended up ordering through gienow. In total, 23 windows cost me $7800. I spent about $1000 in material and did the install myself. Most of my house is siding, so what I ended up doing was cut the outside of the siding around the window and removed the old windows. and screwed in the new windows (NOT retrofit - as if it was a new install) I used a rubber membrane to seal the opening, and used tuck tape on all of the seams.
Then I bought vinyl/pvc boards (1x6 and 1x3 1/2) to finish the outside. (the 1x6 on the top and bottom, and the 3 1/2" on the sides.

My front windows are quite large. 6' tall by 4' wide (3 window as a bay) And since the front of my house is done in brick, I had to retrofit those windows.

masoncgy
04-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Home Depot is probably the cheapest I have found replacement windows, which are all made by JELD-WEN.

They just had a 15% off deal too... I ordered the last 5 vinyl windows I need to complete my change out on my house (1993 build with aluminum frame) and it was under $1,200 tax in for all 5 of the windows...

I checked around with other local window companies for the same products and all were more expensive... some by quite a margin.