PDA

View Full Version : 2014 CSCC/SASC autoslalom/autox Season Schedule and information

Pages : [1] 2 3

reijo
04-06-2014, 05:29 PM
The 2014 season will be a joint championship with events hosted by both the Calgary Sports Car Club as well as the Southern Alberta Solosport Club. Events will be split between the Westerner in Red Deer and the Fort Macleod Airport. The dates and info are below but if you have any other questions feel free to ask away

April 26th Practice and Novice School Fort Macleod
April 27th Event #1 Fort Macleod

May 10th & 11th SoloPro Driving Schools

June 1st Event #2 Westerner
June 22nd Event #3 Westerner
June 28th Practice Fort Macleod
June 29th Event #4 Fort Macleod

July 19th Practice Fort Macleod
July 20th Event #5 Fort Macleod
July 27th Event #6 Westerner

August 10th Event #7 Westerner
August 23rd Practice Fort Macleod
August 24th Event #8 Fort Macleod

September 7th Event #9 Westerner
September 20th Practice Fort Macleod
September 21st Event #10 Fort Macleod

October 4th Practice Fort Macleod
October 5th Event #11 Fort Macleod

Venues:
Westerner Park: http://goo.gl/maps/WWAK
Fort Macleod Airport: http://g.co/maps/d8x7r
The Fort Macleod map is slightly off - just continue south to the end of 4th Avenue for the area where we run.

Rules
http://www.asncanada.com/2014-ASN-Solosport/ASN_Autoslalom_Regulations_2014_dh.pdf
Classing breakdown http://www.asncanada.com/2014-ASN-Solosport/2014_ASN%20Autoslalom-Regulations-Appendix-A.pdf
Self Tech form (please print off your own copy for each event, limited number will be available at events) http://www.asncanada.com/2013-SoloSport/ASN_SoloSport_Tech_Self_Insp_Form.pdf
Our championship will be based on the top 7 of 11 results.

One other note, there is some discussion of possibly running a few two day events at Fort Macleod with a few possible formats so be aware that there may be some changes in the future.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Yes, I've been waiting for this! Can't wait to get the BRZ out and see how it does, finally I have a car more suitable to auto x.

Mibz
04-06-2014, 05:43 PM
I hate that both the schools are on days when I'm out of town :(

reijo
04-06-2014, 06:03 PM
We are talking of having "unofficial" schools on the Saturdays at Fort Macleod - stay tuned. We can accommodate that easily within the practice events - just come on out and ask for some help and you'll find that people will be willing to help you out.

You were also referring to the April 26th Novice School or?

Reijo

reijo
04-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Basically the concept is that we will be able to help out any locals (or others such as yourself) on the Saturdays (Fort Macleod only) since there are no championship points on the line and also to provide a service to locals.

R

Twin_Cam_Turbo
Reijo will the Apr 26th date be similar to last years first practice where you guys may set up two tracks one for the school and one for some of the regular guys to do some test and tune stuff on?

Sugarphreak

reijo
04-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Reijo will the Apr 26th date be similar to last years first practice where you guys may set up two tracks one for the school and one for some of the regular guys to do some test and tune stuff on?

That is what I had originally thought but I heard through the grapevine that that was not so great for course workers (not enough to pick up cones since we don't get too many entries typically at Fort Macleod - good for seat time btw) and so a suggestion was made to run the practice and novice school jointly. I have to put some more thought into that idea but my initial feeling was that it is workable.

R

se7en
04-06-2014, 06:18 PM
what kinda moolah is on the line? Enough to pay for fuel and shit if you win?

reijo
04-06-2014, 06:47 PM
The events are now on www.karelo.com

Just search for Driving Events ... then SASC and you will find them - Practice, School and Championship - April 26/27.

reijo
04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by se7en
what kinda moolah is on the line? Enough to pay for fuel and shit if you win?

Interesting you ask because we are looking at an end of the day shoot-out on Sunday, April 27th where you run against everyone else based on your best performance of the day.

The winner will get $100, 2nd $50, 3rd $25 ... or that is what we are thinking just now but I will have to confirm that and post rules and how it will work (in the near future).

The format will be like the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Match Tours.

Should be fun!

:)

Murray Peterson
04-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I'm in!!

....as soon as I get my car finished :cry:

I will probably be joining a few events towards June once I get everything buttoned up

It will be nice to see you out racing again.

Mibz
04-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by reijo
We are talking of having "unofficial" schools on the Saturdays at Fort Macleod - stay tuned. We can accommodate that easily within the practice events - just come on out and ask for some help and you'll find that people will be willing to help you out.

You were also referring to the April 26th Novice School or?

Reijo Both the novice and the SoloPro school, actually, haha. Whatever education experienced drivers want to provide me is education I'll take.

When I'm back my wife and I will try and hit up an event and we'll go from there.

EDIT: Aw balls, I can't go if Sugarphreak goes. We've got a solid online-only relationship. Can't ruin that by meeting in person.

I met heavyfuel today and it was pleasant as fuck.

spikerS
04-06-2014, 08:59 PM
so the winter driving school really peaked my interest, I am really debating on looking for a #becauseracecar...

I noticed all the events are up north, planning on doing anything like this closer to Calgary?

Murray Peterson
04-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by spikers
I noticed all the events are up north, planning on doing anything like this closer to Calgary?

Fort Macleod is south, not north :) And we would happily run an event in downtown if we could, but the only venues available are at Red Deer and Fort Macleod. If you can find somthing closer, please, please let us know.

spikerS
04-06-2014, 10:35 PM
sorry, saw Fort Macleod, and instantly thought Fort MacMurray.

I seem to remember stuff happening at Deerfoot Outlet Mall parking lot...

Either way, I am completely new to the scene, frick, I did the winter school in a F-150...

reijo
04-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Hey there, Spikers/Mibz! : )

I got bad news for you: Sugarphreak is a nice guy and good driver (of course, I maintain there is always more to learn! Even for myself!) and the summer autox is just as fun as the winter schools and maybe even more! LOL!!!

The CSCC lost the Deerfoot Mall a few years ago now ... New management comes in and they don't want us there ... end of story. That is the 2nd time we have lost it. On the other hand the venue was really a bit too small to really have a decent course set-up ... mainly 1st gear for me in my S2000 ... It was really too small.

It is hard to get lots in Calgary and anywhere for that matter and that is why a place like Badlands Motorsport Resort is going to be very important for us with a skid pad/autocross venue built in.

The nice part about Fort Macleod is that it is a smooth and grippy surface with 3000' length of runway plus another 500' of length to the apron which we also use. We can have even two courses of full size there ... so many times larger than Deerfoot with proper speeds (I spend most of the time in 2nd gear which is about right)......e.g. National-calibre courses are possible. I don't think people realize how fortunate we are to have such a great venue ... plus it rains less and is more sunny and warmer down there typically. Not a bad thing imho. Another thing I like about Fort Macleod is that the drive south on Hwy 2 is far more relaxed than heading north because it is twinned all the way with a LOT less traffic - less stress.

R

94boosted
04-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Can't wait :D Thanks Reijo.

Lot's to finish before the 26/27 weekend though :(

Originally posted by spikers

I seem to remember stuff happening at Deerfoot Outlet Mall parking lot...

We unfortunately lost that venue a couple years ago :( Well not lost but if memory serves me correct they jacked up the insurance premiums so high it wasn't feasible to run there anymore.

Mibz
04-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Sugarphreak is a nice guy and good driver NOPENOPENOPENOPE

I'M NOT LISTENIIIIIIIIIING

spikerS
04-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Hey there, Spikers/Mibz! : )

I got bad news for you: Sugarphreak is a nice guy and good driver.

R

Nope, you just lost ALL credibility. Period.
:rofl:

Originally posted by Mibz
NOPENOPENOPENOPE

I'M NOT LISTENIIIIIIIIIING

:werd:

reijo
04-07-2014, 02:46 PM

Sugarphreak
04-07-2014, 09:05 PM

SecondReversal
04-07-2014, 09:38 PM
So here's a question - As a complete newcomer to the autocross scene, what does one have to do to get in on this action? Would I need a membership with the SCCC or some other club? Event pre-registration? Competition license?

Inquiring minds wish to know - I've always wanted to try my hand at some technical driving!

Murray Peterson
04-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by SecondReversal
So here's a question - As a complete newcomer to the autocross scene, what does one have to do to get in on this action? Would I need a membership with the SCCC or some other club? Event pre-registration? Competition license?

Inquiring minds wish to know - I've always wanted to try my hand at some technical driving!

Membership not required, but it does save you money over the season (there is a premium price to pay if you aren't a member of a club).

Pre-registration makes the registration desk people happier, since they can have all/most of your info already in the computer. But, not required.

Competition license not required. Just show up with a vehicle that has no fluid leaks, good suspension, good (non-bald) tires, and isn't so tall as to pose a safety risk. e.g. your SUV probably won't be allowed to run.

In other words, just show up on time and you can run. If you are feeling really doubtful, show up and go for ride alongs for the day. No cost, and it will give you a small idea of how much fun you can have. Run your own car, and you get all of the fun for a small extra cost (we still give ride alongs).

Joe-G
04-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Might be a dumb question, as Im completely new to this as well but... As on Karelo

26-Apr-14 SASC Novice Solo School Fort Macleod, AB
26-Apr-14 SASC Practice #1 Fort Macleod, AB

Whats the difference between the two? Class time vs seat time? Both have the same description, would I have to sign up for both?

jacky4566
04-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Registered!

Originally posted by Joe-G

Whats the difference between the two? Class time vs seat time? Both have the same description, would I have to sign up for both?

I asked the same question on the
CSCC Forum (http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php/topic,12220.15.html)
Look at post 23.

tldr if your new signup for the school only.

See you guys out there!

reijo
04-07-2014, 10:44 PM
This is the nice thing about autoslalom or autox (as the Americans call it): It is grass roots motorsports and you need very little to get started! However, don't let that fool you because it is actually quite difficult to get a really good run in!

So, what you need:

1. A helmet - motorcycle or M (must be Snell-rated, DOT sticker is not enough), or S or SA 2005 or newer I believe. If you do not have a helmet, borrow one from a friend, buy one or borrow one at the event (we have spares). The best is to have your own if possible. SUV's and other high-center-of-gravity vehicles are NOT allowed. Besides, you would not want to roll your vehicle I am sure!

2. Ensure your car is in good working condition (no leaks, corded tires, soft brakes, loose battery - will fly around if not secure) etc.

3. Register on-line on www.karelo.com (use their search engine and search for SASC and you will find our listing of events). You can buy a SASC membership (CSCC or other WCMA club membership is also acceptable) on Karelo as well although it is not necessary .... however it does get you a $10 discount at every event as well as eligibility for club trophies at the end of the year ... as well as getting to know other members better being a part of the group. Note that you can use a credit card or debit card to pay on-line.

4. While on Karelo, you will find links to rules, a map for the airport at Fort Macleod (basically in the SW corner of the Town), and other information pertinent to the event.

5. First run is about 10 am however, you will want to arrive early (chance to talk to others about set-up, walk the course (you do not get to pre-run the course ... so give yourself time to do this!...maybe even hook up with an expert for advice on lines and other info for the course walk). Typically we will be on-site about 7-7:30 am to set up the course etc.....however if you get there for about 8 am you should be good.

6. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to drive south on Hwy 2 to get to the site from the south end of Calgary.....plus more if you live in the NW like me .... 2 hrs typically for me.

7. Once at the site, empty all loose items (including detectors, phones, mugs, shoes old clothing etc. etc. :)) out of the car and trunk: They are a safety hazard since they could and WILL fly around due to the extreme maneuving you will be doing and could get wedged under the brake pedal. Even worse, something could fly under your gas pedal and you could have a seriously slow run!!! :D ). Just empty the car ... and maybe even the floor mats (which can also slide around and are dead weight). In fact, anything you don't need for the day, leave at home!

8. Pump up your tires at the site (bring a small air pump or air tank if you have one) or nearby at a garage.....I suggest around 40 psi all around to start and then listen to advice from guys at the site for your particular car and tires to adjust. If you run street pressures you will end up rolling the tires onto the sidewalls in most cases.

9. Be prepared for any kind of weather - rain gear (yes, we run in the rain ... which can be quite interesting and challenging), umbrella (can use for sun also!), coat, good shoes for working (yes we work in between sets of runs ... otherwise no one will pick up cones), sun screen, something to snack on, water/drink (no alcohol or drugs please) although we do normally supply water and take a lunch break and run into town for that, a comb for your helmet rot (or a ball cap will do in a pinch :) ) and maybe even some kind of bags or tarp to put your spare stuff on and shield from rain while you are running.

10. Make sure you come out to learn and also have some fun ... the latter is probably the most important thing! LOL

11. Ask for help, ask questions, go for ride-alongs (yes, they are allowed) with more experienced drivers to see what they are doing or even ask someone to drive your car to see what they do differently.

A lot of us stay overnight at Fort Macleod ... not many motels but they are cheap and clean ... and we go out for dinner/beers on the Saturday night and then run again on Sunday!

But, make sure you have some fun! We will! LOL

R

reijo
04-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Oh, and you only need a regular driver's licence to run ... no special competition licences are required (another beauty of autox).

You could also sign up at the site and pay in cash ... however we prefer you register beforehand so we can more easily input you in the timing 'puter.

Think that's about it. sounds like a lot but really it is fairly straight forward after a time or two.

So, c'mon down for some fun!

Reijo

reijo
04-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Here's a little teaser run from the SCCA National Tour in San Diego this last weekend with Max Hayter driving his BRZ and doing a fine job of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb2hP-trzDU&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

R

reijo
04-07-2014, 11:01 PM
I see Murray and I doubled our responses ... lol. I think he's fast on a key board as well as behind the wheel! LOL

R

SecondReversal
04-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Alright, well, in it to win it I suppose - Reg'd for the Novice School, see you crazy kids out there on Saturday!

georgemagana
04-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Reijo, PM'd

Canmorite
04-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Would love to do the novice school coming up soon here, but not sure if my car will be ready. How do you handle refunds? (If at all)

reijo
04-11-2014, 08:45 AM
If you register on Karelo, there is a $5 fee for a cancellation but it must be done before the registration is closed usually 6 pm on the day before or the Friday before the weekend).....by then I would think you should know whether you can make it or not?

You can see the registration closing date and time when you go on Karelo (before registering).

Otherwise you could also pay on-site in a pinch although we would prefer if you register on-ine so that we do not have to enter you into the computer on-site (it saves us some time if people register on-line so you can get more runs and also later in handling money).

ALSO, I had an email from Karelo about the "heart whatever" issue in that they are not affected by this "bug" and it is safe to use their system.

R

reijo
04-11-2014, 08:47 AM
PM answered.

Canmorite
04-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Signed up! See you there, I'll will be in the '07 WRB STi. Just picked up a set of Bridgestone Pole Position S-04's today too.

Now to find a helmet and buy a GoPro.

EDIT: Reijo, what can we expect to cover on Saturday? Thanks for taking the time to reply on here.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-14-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm registered for the practice and event 1, can't wait!

Canmorite
04-14-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm registered for the practice and event 1, can't wait!

They look to be on the same day at the same time...no?

Maxt
04-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Is there any noise restrictions for these events?

m10-power
04-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

This is no joke...but on the plus side there will be no bugs at the event

Murray Peterson
04-14-2014, 10:48 PM

ASN Canada FIA regulations specify 96 db as the maximum at any venue, and lower levels at some specified venues. http://www.asncanada.com/2014-ASN-Solosport/ASN_Autoslalom_Regulations_2014_dh.pdf

The noise is measured 50 feet to the side of the vehicle, at a location where it will be running at full throttle.

Basically, if you are running open headers or even straight pipe(s), you are almost certainly too loud.

A2VR6
04-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Murray Peterson

Basically, if you are running open headers or even straight pipe(s), you are almost certainly too loud.

Or a ported Rotary :)

Murray Peterson
04-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

They look to be on the same day at the same time...no?

Practise and school are on the same day/time (Saturday).
Event #1 is on Sunday

reijo
04-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Signed up! See you there, I'll will be in the '07 WRB STi. Just picked up a set of Bridgestone Pole Position S-04's today too.

Now to find a helmet and buy a GoPro.

EDIT: Reijo, what can we expect to cover on Saturday? Thanks for taking the time to reply on here.

We will cover some of the basics of autox/autoslalom such as proper seating position (to maintain easier control), how a course is laid out (we'll do an "interpreted" course walk and explain how lay-down/pointer cones work, down-and-out rule for cones and penalties) and other common course features and definitions, and, of course, driving techniques such as "looking ahead" and what we mean by that ... e.g. just how far ahead do you look?, and perhaps even a little bit about rules and car classing etc. as an introduction (the rule book is rather involved and you could easily spend a day just sorting through your own car and what modifications you are allowed to do in what class etc. which, of course, we will only touch on due to time constraints, but for the most part it will be driving techniques that you will be learning many of which are counter-intuitive and not taught in any street driving courses. It is a high-performance or racing school essentially and it is those types of techniques we will be talking about .... NOT how to parallel park or street signs etc. :) ), But, most importantly, we will focus on having some fun! (and learning a little bit about high performance driving). :)

reijo
04-15-2014, 09:58 AM
And as a further note: You will be assessed and taught at whatever level you are at. So if you have taken some high-performance or racing school, I am sure you will still find the school of much benefit. We have a number of very capable drivers in the club so you are sure to learn a lot! :)

The site is big enough that we could have two courses (practice and school) but we are thinking that we will be able to run the event concurrently such that some people will be taking practice runs in between the school drivers.

I think doing it that way will work since some times it is good to take a break and explain some techniques to students in between runs during which there might not be any students running on the course.

This depends somewhat on how many show up so I have a contingency plan/course design to do a separate course if we have to - no biggie.

The final decision will be done on Friday when we know the total numbers.

Reijo

Canmorite
04-15-2014, 03:25 PM
And as a further note: You will be assessed and taught at whatever level you are at. So if you have taken some high-performance or racing school, I am sure you will still find the school of much benefit. We have a number of very capable drivers in the club so you are sure to learn a lot! :)

Definitely the first 'class' I've ever done, so it should be a huge help. I've done a few laps in Vegas at exotics racing, plus a couple laps on the Nurburgring, but no real 'instruction'. Stoked for it :thumbsup:

reijo
04-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Cool!

Best attitude is one of coming out for some fun and intending on learning as much as you can! We can help in those areas! :)

Reijo

Maxt
04-15-2014, 07:46 PM

ASN Canada FIA regulations specify 96 db as the maximum at any venue, and lower levels at some specified venues. http://www.asncanada.com/2014-ASN-Solosport/ASN_Autoslalom_Regulations_2014_dh.pdf

The noise is measured 50 feet to the side of the vehicle, at a location where it will be running at full throttle.

The car has a presilencer and rear muffler, but measured 106 db at idle beside the car. I don't think it will pass, ah well.

ExtraSlow
04-15-2014, 08:02 PM
SPL drops 6 db every time you double distance. So I'm pretty sure that 106 db at a distance of five feet would be less than 88 db at 50 feet unless there are reflective surfaces around.

Murray Peterson
04-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Of course, that is at idle, not full throttle. I can give you a good non-scientific method; if the marshals have to plug their ears when you launch or go by at full throttle, then your car is too loud.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
SPL drops 6 db every time you double distance. So I'm pretty sure that 106 db at a distance of five feet would be less than 88 db at 50 feet unless there are reflective surfaces around.

Keep in mind that's 106db at idle. If he's talking about the car I think he is, the thing sounds like a garburator having sex with an air raid siren at WOT. It's fucking loud.

reijo
04-16-2014, 11:46 AM

The car has a presilencer and rear muffler, but measured 106 db at idle beside the car. I don't think it will pass, ah well.

That is not how we measure it - a big difference.

We are 50 feet away and perpendicular to the car (at the side of the track). This is VERY different than having the meter right at the exhaust outlet - try putting your ear beside the pipe and then walk away 50 ft. and you'll see what I mean.

If you have a pre-silencer and muffler, I'm fairly certain you are ok. We have a few fairly loud cars including mine with the rear baffle out and it still registers under 93 db. at 50 ft. I have the stock cat in my S2000 and Invidia single pipe out the back. It is too loud to drive on the street without getting annoyed without the rear baffle in (it is removable).

Of course, if your muffler is burnt out and basically not "there" anymore ... Well, you are then, in reality, running a straight pipe. But you know what your situation is.

R

jacky4566
04-16-2014, 10:56 PM
Need some help with the rules.
Friend has a 2012 A3 quattro.
What class is this?

and with 17x8in rims?

Joe-G
04-16-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm running a straight pipe in place of the axle back. Pre-cat, secondary cat, and resonator are still in place. Its not unbearable, nor is it annoying in my opinion. Should I consider myself too loud for these kind of events? I wouldn't want to register, only to find out that I can't run. Being that it'll be measured perpendicular with some fair distance, I'm thinking itll be okay?

Review by Dsport, along with their findings: http://dsportmag.com/showcase/exhaust-scion-fr-s-2013-berk-technology-bt8602

...According to the dB meter, the Track Pipe averaged 92.33 dB from 3,000-5,000 RPM...

http://dsportmag.com/showcase/scion-fr-s-2013-exhaust-systems/galleries/sounddb_berk-non.jpg

A2VR6
04-16-2014, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Need some help with the rules.
Friend has a 2012 A3 quattro.
What class is this?

and with 17x8in rims?

I believe stock the A3 runs a 17x7.5 and since your friend is running 17x8, they would be in STX.

jacky4566
04-16-2014, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the response!
So where is the stock a3? I don't see it in the DS or ES.

A2VR6
04-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Thanks for the response!
So where is the stock a3? I don't see it in the DS or ES.

Hmm not sure, weird that it got missed out. However I would put money that it would end up being in GS as the A4 with the same motor is classed there.

Murray Peterson
04-17-2014, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Joe-G
I'm running a straight pipe in place of the axle back. Pre-cat, secondary cat, and resonator are still in place. Its not unbearable, nor is it annoying in my opinion. Should I consider myself too loud for these kind of events? I wouldn't want to register, only to find out that I can't run. Being that it'll be measured perpendicular with some fair distance, I'm thinking itll be okay?

Sounds like it should be OK.

reijo
04-17-2014, 11:58 AM

Sounds like it should be OK.

I would tend to agree with Murray. Usually cars are ok if they retain the original cat(s) but it would be getting closer to the limit.

Note also that if you exceed the levels allowed you are allowed a chance to modify the piping or adding a muffler etc. to reduce the sound and continue to run ...

R

reijo
04-17-2014, 12:09 PM
We use the SCCA Rules to classify cars and you can download the pdf rulebook on-line for free here:

http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517

It is always a good idea to read the rule book (or at least portions that pertain to you and your car - that will save you time ... First thing is to classify your car - the classing lists are at/near the back) and figure out where you fit in and what mods you are allowed to do in what class.

Reijo

reijo
04-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

Hmm not sure, weird that it got missed out. However I would put money that it would end up being in GS as the A4 with the same motor is classed there.

I see an A3 Quattro in DSR (2006-09). Is there something significantly different in the 2012 from the earlier ones? ... also the S-series are in B.

The regular FWD A3 is in G..... so the quattro would be in D if anything.

There may be something in the Fastrack updates as well.

R

Canmorite
04-17-2014, 03:58 PM
I registered my car in the class under the .pdf available on the Karelo website. I registered my car in the 'BS' (B Street) class as it fell under "Subaru
Impreza WRX STI (incl. Special Edition) (2004-14)".

Is this correct? Is it pertinent that I'm registered under the right class?

reijo
04-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Yes, that would be correct if you are stock - e.g. with only allowed mods (cat-back, shocks, alignment and not much else).

I think we have to update the classes on Karelo since this year there is a BStock class on R-compound tires and then the Street class on street rubber.

R

Canmorite
04-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Yes, that would be correct if you are stock - e.g. with only allowed mods (cat-back, shocks, alignment and not much else).

I think we have to update the classes on Karelo since this year there is a BStock class on R-compound tires and then the Street class on street rubber.

R

Ah then I'm not as the engine has been tuned as well. Can I change my class once I'm there?

A2VR6
04-17-2014, 04:25 PM

Ah then I'm not as the engine has been tuned as well. Can I change my class once I'm there?

Yep you definitely can. You'll probably be in STU

A2VR6
04-17-2014, 04:28 PM

I see an A3 Quattro in DSR (2006-09). Is there something significantly different in the 2012 from the earlier ones? ... also the S-series are in B.

The regular FWD A3 is in G..... so the quattro would be in D if anything.

There may be something in the Fastrack updates as well.

R

If you look at DS it throws the V6 A3 in there.

DS A3 quattro (3.2L V6, AWD)
(2006-09)

besides the extra weight of quattro will probably offset any traction advantage it would have over the FWD version haha.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-17-2014, 04:46 PM
How many of you are planning to compete in STX?

reijo
04-20-2014, 02:11 PM
I think there are a number of people in STX thinking back to last year ...

Also, Fort Macleod is +14C right now and the forecast is the same or better for next weekend (Sunday). It can change between now and then but you can keep track at the link below:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/canada/alberta/fort-macleod

So, get your shorts and sunscreen ready! The season is about to being.

Also, if you have ever thought about trying autox/autocross/autoslalom, this coming Saturday would be an ideal time to come out and take part in the novice school which will give you all the ins and outs of autocross or competition driving in general. No pressure environment and we aim to make it a high fun event much like our "famous" winter schools.

Also this is not a big commitment since you only need a car in good running condition (plus a helmet although we do have loaners available ... but better to bring/borrow your own if at all possible ... Snell 2005 or newer rating is required ... DOT rated is not sufficient.). An air pump to pump up your tires would be a good idea (or pump up at a garage - say 40 psi all around to start - ask some advice of the instructors and other experienced folks.) and some proper clothing to deal with the weather is also recommended since you will be outside most of the day.

Following the school, with your newly found skills, you can jump in for a competition event the very next day to see how you do! The local events are relatively low-key with not too many entries so seat time is abundant and you can also go for ride-alongs with the more experienced folks at local events such as this to see what they are doing differently etc. etc. They are a pretty friendly bunch and don't bite so just get in there! :)

We have a number of very established drivers in the local club so you are sure to learn a lot even in a single day as some of you know from the winter schools.

And, of course, we aim to have some fun while we are at it! :)

So c'mon out!

You can enter on Karelo.com on -line or even at the site if you wish - $40 for members/affiliated WCMA/ASN//SCCA clubs or $50 for non-members. Everyone is welcome men, women (whom I would particularly like to encourage ... a level playing field here! and some will be there already, of course), etc. however please keep kids and pets on a leach. :)

http://www.karelo.com/events.php and then search for "SASC" - credit card or debit will work.

R

Canmorite
04-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Weather looks like rain/snow for Saturday in Fort Macleod now...hope it stays well above freezing! Under what conditions would you cancel/move the event?

Murray Peterson
04-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Events are cancelled if there are safety concerns (lightning and hail are the usual). Some slush and/or water won't be a reason to cancel -- just be sure to dress appropriately.

reijo
04-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Well, perhaps cancelled outright is not the proper phrase but rather suspended until the lightening has passed over.

No point being a lightening rod with an umbrella on a large flat, treeless area!

Tornadoes and large hail also fit into this category ... or grass fires etc.

R

reijo
04-21-2014, 12:46 PM
In fact, I kind of enjoy rain events since they are a bit more challenging and are easier on tires! :) The ability to drive fast in the rain is a key learning experience imho.

However, if you are not prepared for rain (umbrella, boots, pants/jacket), it can be a miserable experience. Just like winter ...

Having said that, the climate is quite a bit drier down there than in Calgary and if there is rain, it is usually of relatively short duration so if you keep dry for a short while, chances are you will be dry for the remainder of the day ... so a "real" rain day lasting all day long is actually a rare experience and one of the reasons I enjoy or try to get in any rain day that I can .... It is hard to get this kind of practice in this part of the country.

R

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Come on warm and dry, RS-3s don't like wet and cold one bit!

94boosted
04-21-2014, 01:05 PM

Having said that, the climate is quite a bit drier down there than in Calgary and if there is rain, it is usually of relatively short duration so if you keep dry for a short while, chances are you will be dry for the remainder of the day ... so a "real" rain day lasting all day long is actually a rare experience

Agreed. Usually it's just wind that we have to contend with :)

Murray Peterson
04-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Come on warm and dry, RS-3s don't like wet and cold one bit!

Dunlop ZII for the win! :)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-21-2014, 01:28 PM

Dunlop ZII for the win! :)

I would like to try those, I ran two sets of Z1 on my BMW and liked them, only reason I have RS-3 now is because they came with my wheels, and I have a brand new set of RE-11 I got a dead cost ready to go on when the RS-3s are done.

Murray Peterson
04-21-2014, 01:35 PM
The ZII is now discontinued -- there will be a Star Spec version released later this year. I like the ZII much more than the Z1; enough that I bought spares to keep me through the summer.

Canmorite
04-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Sounds like fun in the rain! I just picked up the Bridgestone S-04's. I had a set of the Bridgestone RE-11's and they were way too aggresive for my usual driving.

Murray Peterson
04-21-2014, 04:38 PM
Sounds like fun in the rain! I just picked up the Bridgestone S-04's. I had a set of the Bridgestone RE-11's and they were way too aggresive for my usual driving.

Ooh -- you wouldn't like the ZII's then. They have a much stiffer sidewall than the RE-11's, and tend to be much more prone to tramlining and roughness. I used to like the S-4's, but then I discovered "real" rubber :D

Redlined_8000
04-21-2014, 05:36 PM
I vote for some rain, easier on the tires :D

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
I vote for some rain, easier on the tires :D

Can't wait to see how fast you blow through tires in the C63 :P

Canmorite
04-23-2014, 01:44 PM

Well, the S-04's aren't in stock so I ended up going with the Nitto NT-01's...going to be an aggresive summer tire for the daily driver :rofl:

Murray Peterson
04-24-2014, 05:15 PM
I am getting PMs from several people that are worried about the rain and cold, and how their track/race tires will be dangerous.

Really, I wouldn't worry about this. The runway is very well drained, so hydroplaning is not an issue. And lower grip levels just mean you slow down and get some extra practise at car control skills in the corners. I like racing in the rain; it's a challenge and is a lot of fun.

Don't forget to dress warmly though -- it's going to be *cold* out there, and we all spend a good chunk of our time standing outside. I am bringing my umbrella, parka, leather mitts, and some shoes that take some water without soaking my feet. Racing shoes can wait for a more suitable day :)

xnvy
04-24-2014, 10:47 PM
^Is it okay if I just show up for the practice with no registration on Karelo? I missed the dates but I also don't know if I'll be able to attend until the night before. I haven't been to an autoslalom event yet, always wanted to try it.

reijo
04-25-2014, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by xnvy
^Is it okay if I just show up for the practice with no registration on Karelo? I missed the dates but I also don't know if I'll be able to attend until the night before. I haven't been to an autoslalom event yet, always wanted to try it.

Yes, you can pay and register on-site although we prefer if you can use karelo to use it so it minimizes our work at the site. Registration closes at 6 pm on Friday ... so if you know by then, you could still register on-line.

Hmmm.....crazy weather ... maybe it will be a winter driving school instead? lol A new advisory was just issued (4:30 am or so) ... so let's keep an eye on it ... and if it is really, really bad (e.g. bumper height snow?) we may cancel. I'll try and keep updates here .... I am planning on heading down to Fort Macleod on Friday afternoon so I will know firsthand what the situation is and can update from there on-site.

Present forecast is for 10C on Sunday so we will be good to go then for sure.......at most a slightly later start if there is a lot of snow from Friday/Saturday left. However the ground has warmed up so I don't really expect any major accumulations ... but this is SoAl ... so you never know.

Cheers!

Reijo

Canmorite
04-25-2014, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the update Reijo. If there's snow on the ground I doubt I'll be making my way down on summer tires. If they were all seasons it'd be no issue, but otherwise it's a quite sketchy drive. Hopefully the snow stays away!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-25-2014, 07:00 AM
I'll swap to winters for practice tomorrow pending road conditions lol

MGCM
04-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by xnvy

u could be driving thru 15cm of snow :s dont do it, your miata loves you!!!!

Redlined_8000
04-25-2014, 11:05 AM
I'll swap to winters for practice tomorrow pending road conditions lol

Me and some other guys just switched to the Sunday event FYI. I might still go saturday if the event isnt cancelled and weather is good.

Snowfall warning for Fort Macleod on Saturday

Canmorite
04-25-2014, 11:29 AM

Me and some other guys just switched to the Sunday event FYI. I might still go saturday if the event isnt cancelled and weather is good.

Just switched on Karelo, or how?

May do this as well if the forecasts are awful...

Redlined_8000
04-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Just switched on Karelo, or how?

May do this as well if the forecasts are awful...

Send Reijo a PM.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-25-2014, 12:06 PM

I'm planning to go to both events still.

reijo
04-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Yes, I just got a call from the Town ... all of our paperwork etc. is complete and we are good to go ... except "maybe" for the weather.

Global TV has had a different weather report and he mentioned that you will hear all kinds of weather reports today since no one really knows what will happen .... but +10C and SW winds for Sunday.

So, no matter what we will be running on Sunday. Some have moved to Sunday and that is good too. Maybe we'll have a mini-school on Sunday morning to get people up to speed etc. in lieu of the Novice school on Saturday.

Also, we will be making the final decision on Saturday by the end of the day and I will make an announcement here as to what is going to happen - cancel or not.

If you wish to move to Sunday, just send me an email at:

[email protected]

Normal highs are about +14C in Calgary and usually a couple of degrees warmer and sunnier down south at Fort Macleod.

However we know that it is a bit risky to run events in April.

This would be the first time in 3 years that we would have had to cancel an event down there.

Thanks!

Reijo

jacky4566
04-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Are numbers provided on stickers or should I bring some masking tape?

reijo
04-25-2014, 01:09 PM
We do have some painters tape (the type that does not leave a glue residue on your car! :) ).

Ultimately however, if you continue to come out, you can get some magnetic numbers made up (ask about rules for size of numbers and class etc. ... or look at cars that are there .... nos. 8"/200 mm high, 4" for class lettering ... can't remember the stroke width ... 1.25" maybe? ).

If you do not have a metal body (Corvette, Lotus etc. ... there are static cling/magnetic/other "sticky" type of stuff available .... ask some of the guys where they get their numbers and lettering from).

R

Canmorite
04-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Yes, I just got a call from the Town ... all of our paperwork etc. is complete and we are good to go ... except "maybe" for the weather.

Global TV has had a different weather report and he mentioned that you will hear all kinds of weather reports today since no one really knows what will happen .... but +10C and SW winds for Sunday.

So, no matter what we will be running on Sunday. Some have moved to Sunday and that is good too. Maybe we'll have a mini-school on Sunday morning to get people up to speed etc. in lieu of the Novice school on Saturday.

Also, we will be making the final decision on Saturday by the end of the day and I will make an announcement here as to what is going to happen - cancel or not.

If you wish to move to Sunday, just send me an email at:

[email protected]

Normal highs are about +14C in Calgary and usually a couple of degrees warmer and sunnier down south at Fort Macleod.

However we know that it is a bit risky to run events in April.

This would be the first time in 3 years that we would have had to cancel an event down there.

Thanks!

Reijo

If you're going to push the novice school to Sunday, I'd like to switch to that. Will send an e-mail and watch for updates.

Cheers!

reijo
04-25-2014, 06:51 PM
See update at the CSCC foru:

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php/topic,12235.msg66262/topicseen.html#new

I'm still not sure what will happen ... not sure the snow will stick ... borderline .... think some people are still going ....

Murray and Stuart have left already for Fort Macleod and I will leave shortly.....and will give further updates of what I see down there ... about a 2 hr. trip for me from the NW corner of Calgary.

Once I see the sky I will know! LOL

R

Redlined_8000
04-25-2014, 07:18 PM
See update at the CSCC foru:

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php/topic,12235.msg66262/topicseen.html#new

I'm still not sure what will happen ... not sure the snow will stick ... borderline .... think some people are still going ....

Murray and Stuart have left already for Fort Macleod and I will leave shortly.....and will give further updates of what I see down there ... about a 2 hr. trip for me from the NW corner of Calgary.

Once I see the sky I will know! LOL

R

Sounds good man keep us posted :)

Canmorite
04-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Snow flying and I'm reluctantly bowing out. Will make it for tomorrow if there's no snow!

georgemagana
04-26-2014, 08:32 AM
^Tomorrow should be a better day lets hope :)