PDA

View Full Version : Safeway - Ditching Memberships - Rant

Sugarphreak
04-06-2014, 06:00 PM

codetrap
04-06-2014, 06:25 PM
I think it's a valid complaint. But I also understand why they want you into the "kiosk" / store. So hopefully you'll make some other purchases while you're there.

firebane
04-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Ditching the cards for in store purchases and giving everyone the same discount is fine.

I think the amount of people using safeway as fuel source isn't that many as I personally don't know anyone who does and those who do have to really go out of the way to get fuel from them.

schocker
04-06-2014, 06:42 PM
costco gas ftwwwwwwwwwww :burnout:

FixedGear
04-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Membership programs only exist to track your spending habits anyhow...

Modelexis
04-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Guy with hummer complains about fuel prices...

In other news...

Sugarphreak
04-06-2014, 07:42 PM

Supa Dexta
04-07-2014, 04:56 AM
Its the sobeys buyout. Sobeys deals in airmiles and didnt want to deal with the membership cards any longer. Good! I hate having a card for everything.

Sobeys does offer fuel savings in other places, but that all depends on what relationships they have in place with fuel stations.

I have a family member quite involved in the switch over, there's a ton of work involved in blending the 2 companies and dealing with all the different systems and unions and everything in place.

max_boost
04-07-2014, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
Guy with hummer complains about fuel prices...

In other news... same guy buys massive house with 4 car garage and complains about property tax lol

Sugarphreak
04-07-2014, 07:18 AM

BrknFngrs
04-07-2014, 07:20 AM
I've never actually heard of getting a gas discount from Safeway before; is it only at select locations?

AndyL
04-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Probably came as a result of Canadian stores being sold to stupid store... Safeway us probably didn't want to let go of / divide their client list...

sneek
04-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
I've never actually heard of getting a gas discount from Safeway before; is it only at select locations?

It used to be $0.05 off/ Litre if you spent more than $35 on groceries. Smaller towns had a points system where you had to spend more than $100 over a given period of time. Only select locations have gas stations but IIRC your club card would track it for you and allow you to get the gas discount at any Safeway gas station

Sugarphreak
04-07-2014, 07:25 AM

max_boost
04-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Hey phreak, baller now man lol stop penny pinching haha

Darell_n
04-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Probably came as a result of Canadian stores being sold to stupid store... Safeway us probably didn't want to let go of / divide their client list...

Safeway in the US is also completely finished, as Albertsons bought what was left. If by stupid store you mean Superstore owned by Loblaws, it is not involved in Safeway or Sobey's. As part of this buyout the 8 month old Sobey's I built in Cochrane is now being converted to Overwaite ( Sav- On Foods) tomorrow. Confusing times right now.

AndyL
04-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Ok - your right sobeys not stupidstore ;) my mistake

speedog
04-07-2014, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Every location has it, plus I think most Safeway locations have a gas bar in Calgary.

Spend 35$, it gets a credit on your safeway card. Then you get 5 cents off at the pump at your next fill.

To their credit, they are scaling up the program and making it up to 10 cents per litre based on how much you spend now.

They also usually have a promotion going on for air miles, 100$ = 100 points, or something else of similar value at any given time. Actually, many Safeway locations do not have a gas bar - ones that I know that do not include Thorncliff, Beddington, Sunnyside, Brentwood, Market Mall, Beacon Heights, Glamorgan, Beltline, Mission.

BigMass
04-07-2014, 08:11 AM
I got pretty adept at using the club card. With BOGO deals, large discounts and airmiles I would almost always walk out of safeway with a better deal than I would have anywhere else including superstore and Costco. Plus I always preferred shopping at safeway. Less crowded, better selection, more convenient, etc.

n1zm0
04-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Actually, many Safeway locations do not have a gas bar - ones that I know that do not include Thorncliff, Beddington, Sunnyside, Brentwood, Market Mall, Beacon Heights, Glamorgan, Beltline, Mission.

Also Southland & Macleod, Southcenter, Lake Bonavista, Woodbine, Ogden. Lots actually now that I think about it.

firebane
04-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Every location has it, plus I think most Safeway locations have a gas bar in Calgary.

Spend 35$, it gets a credit on your safeway card. Then you get 5 cents off at the pump at your next fill.

To their credit, they are scaling up the program and making it up to 10 cents per litre based on how much you spend now.

They also usually have a promotion going on for air miles, 100$ = 100 points, or something else of similar value at any given time.

Only 2 Safeways in Calgary have the fuel bar... The one in West Hills and another in the NE.

BigMass
04-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by firebane

Only 2 Safeways in Calgary have the fuel bar... The one in West Hills and another in the NE.

glenmore landing

sh0ko
04-07-2014, 08:33 AM

there's about seven in the city

Tik-Tok
04-07-2014, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by BigMass

glenmore landing

Aspen Landing

firebane
04-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by sh0ko

there's about seven in the city

Sorry there is 4.. The website had 2 pages .

Westhills, Glen Landing, Aspen Landing and 3550 32ad Ave NE.

Tik-Tok
04-07-2014, 08:35 AM

I looked directly from Safeways site and it only shows 2. Now I konw that may not be 100% up to date.. but they are usually pretty good at it.

Hit the "page 2" button.

firebane
04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Hit the "page 2" button.

Yeah I saw that.. still only makes 4 :P

Modelexis
04-07-2014, 08:36 AM

Calgary has 20 safeway locations and 7 of them are safeway gas stations.
You're stuck in the burbs bro. :)

firebane
04-07-2014, 08:38 AM
According to this there is 7 though :nut:

http://www.calgarygasprices.com/Safeway_Gas_Stations/index.aspx

speedog
04-07-2014, 08:40 AM
So while this thread is still derailed, where does Safeway get their fuel from? Which producer because Safeway is only reselling, no?

flipstah
04-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Just go to Co-op! Profit sharing FTW! :clap:

ExtraSlow
04-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Safeway probably sources fuel from a few places, just like most resellers.
Don't kid yourself, it's all the same shit.

n1zm0
04-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Safeway probably sources fuel from a few places, just like most resellers.
Don't kid yourself, it's all the same shit.

Yeah iirc it's just the types of additives they add or don't add that makes it difference.

I think Superstore gets its stuff from Esso, Safeway from Shell, don't know for sure though, there was a thread on this from years ago somewhere on here.

CapnCrunch
04-07-2014, 08:57 AM
BAN the OP for being on a car enthusiast forum and getting gas at Safeway.

firebane
04-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
BAN the OP for being on a car enthusiast forum and getting gas at Safeway.

:rofl: :closed:

roopi
04-07-2014, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Its the sobeys buyout. Sobeys deals in airmiles and didnt want to deal with the membership cards any longer. Good! I hate having a card for everything.

Sobeys does offer fuel savings in other places, but that all depends on what relationships they have in place with fuel stations.

I have a family member quite involved in the switch over, there's a ton of work involved in blending the 2 companies and dealing with all the different systems and unions and everything in place.

Sobeys does not deal with Airmiles. That would be Safeway.

Sobey's offers fuel savings? I've never seen this. Does Sobey's have their own gas stations now?

Sugarphreak
04-07-2014, 09:17 AM

sputnik
04-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Sobeys does not deal with Airmiles.

Sobeys in Atlantic Canada deals with Airmiles.

Xtrema
04-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

Yeah iirc it's just the types of additives they add or don't add that makes it difference.

I think Superstore gets its stuff from Esso, Safeway from Shell, don't know for sure though, there was a thread on this from years ago somewhere on here.

Doesn't matter. They get whoever can provide at lowest cost. When I used to go to Superstore for gas, it's mostly from Petro Can.

Mar
04-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I think it's a valid complaint. But I also understand why they want you into the "kiosk" / store. So hopefully you'll make some other purchases while you're there.

When I was driving through the USA you could fill your fat ass right from the pump.

http://www.danmaher.com/images/pump.JPG

benyl
04-07-2014, 10:09 AM

I might end up paying an extra 10$ or so over Superstore, but it is worth it considering how much more relaxing, less busy, cleaner, and just generally has better service.

Not the Aspen Landing one. There is an Aspen tax at that store.

Case in point, my wife stopped by the one at westbrook mall. They had Pineapples on sale. I think they were $0.99 or something and Westbrook was sold out. They were $3.99 at Aspen.

This was not a manager's special or some blowout, that was the price at all the Safeway's except Aspen Landing. My wife got Aspen Safeway to call corporate and they lowered the price. Rich soccer mom's just don't care.

The only time I set foot in that store is if we walk over there. The money I save in gas (TT V8) I give to the crooks at Aspen Safeway, so for me it's a wash.

Xtrema
04-07-2014, 10:47 AM
IMO, ditching club prices make sense as Superstore also have loyalty program while prices still beat Safeway by at least 10% or more.

Not giving someone the lowest price possible because of some membership is stupid when you are dealing in bulk like Costco.

Mar
04-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Safeway could charge whatever they want and I would continue to shop there. I would die a fiery death before I ever walked into Superstore and dealt with the people in there.

firebane
04-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Safeway could charge whatever they want and I would continue to shop there. I would die a fiery death before I ever walked into Superstore and dealt with the people in there.

100% agree and Sobeys is ok but their prices in general are higher than everywhere else.

I'd like to shop at Save-On but there isn't one near me.

Sugarphreak
04-07-2014, 11:05 AM

benyl
04-07-2014, 11:16 AM
If I am going to go to Signal Hill, I may as well go to Stupid store. 7 cents off a litre with a PC mastercard.

I don't lose the coupons cause I am a cheap half asian. That is like losing real money.

asp integra
04-07-2014, 11:19 AM
I am not a fan as well OP, hte only good thing coming from thios is depending on what you spent, you can earn up to 10 cents off your gas. Any time you spend over $200 in groceries you get the 10 cents off.

Xtrema
04-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Mar

Out of the 3 stupid stores in my area, only one I can tolerate and only early in the morning before everyone shows up.

Whenever I don't feel like lining up, I go to neighborhood Co-Op. But some stuff is crap there since turn over of products is so slow.

ColoDano
04-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Personally, The wife and I were pretty good at racking up the club card discounts, and many of the items that we purchased were usually on a discount for card holders, so I noticed a higher grocery tab when I shopped this weekend.

Never liked Sobeys when we went there, and I am not going to drive out of my way to get gas for a few cent discount at a safeway gas bar.

Don't care about the card in my wallet, but if that is what the trend will be, I am shopping at Co-op from now on.

Sugarphreak
04-07-2014, 12:25 PM

kenny
04-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by benyl
If I am going to go to Signal Hill, I may as well go to Stupid store. 7 cents off a litre with a PC mastercard.

I don't lose the coupons cause I am a cheap half asian. That is like losing real money.

If you are truly cheap, you'd go to the No Frills on 85th.

BrknFngrs
04-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Stupid store is getting on my nerves too, they are getting really pushy about their new PC points... it is turning into a huge conversation at the till with all the lines they are given

Me: Hello
Clerk: Hello, are you a PC points Holder
Me: Nope
Clerk: Would you like to be one?
Me: No thanks
Clerk: We have a PC points.... *trails on into a speech*
Me: NO THANKS
Clerk: So... do you want to sign up for one now to take advantage of all these free points?
Me: 5 Bags please
Clerk: Uh....???
Me: I'd like 5 bags... can we get on with it?
Clerk: Uh ok....

Why not sign up? Do you have an iPhone?

If so, sign up through the app, add the card to passbook and enjoy a fairly frequent $20 off groceries with no hassle. Probably my most frequently used rewards program and points build pretty quick.

Sugarphreak
04-07-2014, 12:37 PM

BrknFngrs
04-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Yep, you can accumulate points without a bank account now. Looks like there's an android app as well (PC Plus)

a social dsease
04-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

Why not sign up? Do you have an iPhone?

If so, sign up through the app, add the card to passbook and enjoy a fairly frequent $20 off groceries with no hassle. Probably my most frequently used rewards program and points build pretty quick.

This! I finally got tired enough of the constant badgering that I signed up (for PC Points), and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how quickly they accumulate. Just yesterday I bought $111 worth of groceries at Superstore, and I got 10500 pts out of it. At a 1000pt=$1 ratio that's $10.50 savings!! (or 9.45%). And that's on top of SS already being 10%-20% cheaper than Safeway. :love:

benyl
04-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by kenny

If you are truly cheap, you'd go to the No Frills on 85th.

Their produce is junk. You throw half away. I'm losing money by going there. did the calcs... haha

kenny
04-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Yeah their meat/produce is junk but the savings on other stuff may make the trip worth it :) I know their regular prices on some frozen stuff is cheaper than co-op's sale prices.

n1zm0
04-07-2014, 12:52 PM
I thought you had to sign up for a bank account with them to get points, have they changed that now?

I thought this too for the longest time and I do weekly Superstore shopping, just signed up for it earlier this year and just think back to the past 5 years how many points I have missed out on :banghead:

Supa Dexta
04-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Sobeys does not deal with Airmiles. That would be Safeway.

Sobey's offers fuel savings? I've never seen this. Does Sobey's have their own gas stations now?

Yes atlantic canada, where they are from. And yes they have a ton of gas stations...Hundreds, either under their own branding or leases.. They are just expanding west, so wait for them to continue to grow and adapt/change things out here. They are a well operated company, So give em time.

Feruk
04-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Safeway self checkout this weekend.

I scan herbs and put in basket.
Machine: Checking weight...
Machine: Please wait for assistance
Clerk comes over and has to enter her password.
I scan second set of herbs (clerk leaves despite being asked to wait)
Machine: Checking weight...
Machine: Please wait for assistance
Clerk, yadda yadda. Third thing of herbs same shit. I then scan for muffins
Machine: Item not recognized
Scan again
Machine: Item not recognized
Clerk's back and does store log in shit again
I go to pay.
Machine: Please tap/insert/swipe card
Tap doesn't work, swipe doesn't work, I insert and it gives me error. Retry and finally it reads the damn card.

Took like 5 min to buy 4 fucking items because the machine didn't recognize ANY of them. Fuck Safeway!! Co-op has better meat, service, produce, etc. Not shopping at this bullshit nazi regime again.

ZenOps
04-07-2014, 03:55 PM
The Box NoFrills is suprisingly expensive on a few items. Pizza, bread, etc. The produce is average quality.

But... They do bag your items. Its not because they want to, but because they have to. The checkout tills have a conveyor belt to the till, but only a small bagging area to leave.

They had the best kept secret for a year: Smoked Scallops in tin for $1. They are long gone now.

blairtruck
04-07-2014, 03:57 PM
never really shopped at safeway, just might run in for some lunch snacks and never had a card. never even entered a coop before.

Xtrema
04-07-2014, 04:22 PM
No, I am poor... I have an Andriod :(

I thought you had to sign up for a bank account with them to get points, have they changed that now?

All you need is a PC Mastercard to collect points.

It makes sense if you shop there a lot.

Although since PC Plus, the extra tab you have to do before the cashier start is annoying. Some product will give you extra "plus" points and I guess instead of tally that at the end, they would only come up during the scan.

Sugarphreak
04-07-2014, 09:09 PM

sputnik
04-08-2014, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
All you need is a PC Mastercard to collect points.

No you don't. That is the old program.

Here is the new one.

www.pcplus.ca

I have an app on my phone that has my "card" and it tracks points in real time. It also gives you points deals for the things you buy frequently.

KrisYYC
04-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by a social dsease

This! I finally got tired enough of the constant badgering that I signed up (for PC Points), and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how quickly they accumulate. Just yesterday I bought $111 worth of groceries at Superstore, and I got 10500 pts out of it. At a 1000pt=$1 ratio that's $10.50 savings!! (or 9.45%). And that's on top of SS already being 10%-20% cheaper than Safeway. :love:

Yep! I was a long time PC financial user (purely for groceries and gas. Superbucks FTW) and recently signed up for PC Plus. Man I accumulate points sooo much faster now. At the current rate I'll be able to redeem $20 of free groceries every 6 to 8 weeks. Not bad for a single guy. Combine that with superbucks and the lower prices it's pretty much impossible for any other store to match that.

It also helps that the closest grocery store to me is Southport Superstore. One of the tamest Superstores in the city. Not sure I'd be so loyal if I had to go to Sunridge Superstore :rofl:

clem24
04-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Since Superstore is open till 11, go around 10. And if you want a really dead store, go SUNDAY around 10. That's when I do my shopping and the store I go to (Country Hills) is usually dead. The only fly in the ointment is that they will have their restocking pallets out so you just have to work around them.

I only shop at Safeway when I am in a pickle because their stuff is so pricey. My preference is always Superstore -> Sobey's -> Coop -> Safeway.

Disoblige
04-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I usually go to Safeway if I'm in a rush.

Their produce is pretty good, so I pick up some nice ripe avocados there too. At other places, they're usually so raw.

Other than that, Safeway for: Fresh donuts, and those Giant $9.99 Lumberjack sandwiches. Such good value for those sandwiches.

D'z Nutz
04-08-2014, 10:06 AM
The only reason I'd go to Safeway is for the donuts. That place is such a rip off. Same with Co-op and Sobey's, though sometimes Co-op has some good sales each week.

For me, it's a toss up between Walmart and Superstore.

HiTempguy1
04-08-2014, 12:26 PM

I've been using it for years... never once had an issue with the quality of it

To do a accurate comparison, you'd need to basically do a complete tank of gas up and down highway 2 with the cruise control on to compare to other stations.

I lose a good 1 to 2 mpg in any car running costco/fas gas/safeway/co-op/7-11 gas compared to petro or shell. There is a reason they can give you 5c/L off, and its not because they are saving you money IMO.

firebane
04-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Since Superstore is open till 11, go around 10. And if you want a really dead store, go SUNDAY around 10. That's when I do my shopping and the store I go to (Country Hills) is usually dead. The only fly in the ointment is that they will have their restocking pallets out so you just have to work around them.

I only shop at Safeway when I am in a pickle because their stuff is so pricey. My preference is always Superstore -> Sobey's -> Coop -> Safeway.

Everywhere is expensive for groceries around here. I go to safeway due to the amount of stuff on hand.

Closest Sobeys to me is super small and has a very poor selection of stuff and you always end up having to go to another store anyways.

Co-op? Eh their prices aren't any different than other stores.

Sugarphreak
04-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Sugarphreak
04-08-2014, 12:51 PM

firebane
04-08-2014, 12:59 PM
That response is not surprising. You'll have to physically call them if you want any real answers.

bjstare
04-08-2014, 01:01 PM
My feedback I left for Safeway:

Safeway Responce:

Wow... they couldn't even humor me with a formal responce :facepalm:

If I got that response* I'd probably call the number so I could tell someone just how brutal the customer service is when you get a canned email that clearly shows they ignored your original message. I hate shit like that.

nickyh
04-08-2014, 01:14 PM
I almost exclusively shop at Safeway. Somehow it's the only place I can leave with fresh produce and non-expired dairy vs Co-Op and Superstore and actually see where my money went.
I hate driving down to Westhills, i'd rather pay a little more for Aspen prices that deal with that gong show.

My husband uses the fuel savings more than me so I guess it will be fun listening to him bitch about the new process. I mostly use 94 octane in the summer and maybe fill up at Safeway once or twice in the winter at Safeway.

firebane
04-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
I almost exclusively shop at Safeway. Somehow it's the only place I can leave with fresh produce and non-expired dairy vs Co-Op and Superstore and actually see where my money went.
I hate driving down to Westhills, i'd rather pay a little more for Aspen prices that deal with that gong show.

My husband uses the fuel savings more than me so I guess it will be fun listening to him bitch about the new process. I mostly use 94 octane in the summer and maybe fill up at Safeway once or twice in the winter at Safeway.

The only thing I don't like about the Westhills Safeway is how they have the tills setup.. It just gets really crowded.

The Westbrook Safeway has a really shitty self checkout setup.

Moonracer
04-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Best thing to happen at Safeway, getting rid of the stupid club card. :thumbsup:

speedog
04-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by nickyh

My husband uses the fuel savings more than me so I guess it will be fun listening to him bitch about the new process. I mostly use 94 octane in the summer and maybe fill up at Safeway once or twice in the winter at Safeway. Fresh produce and non-expired dairy - never an issue at the Huntington Hills Superstore but not-fresh produce is something you can run into at the Thorncliff Safeway.

In reality, a grocery store is only as good as it's various managers - I've been in Superstores that aren't great and ones that are. Same goes for Safeway and Sobeys - can't comment on COOP as I just can't stand all the older people there (older than me).

HiTempguy1
04-08-2014, 05:23 PM
I'd be skeptical of that result... I think Safeway gas is either Esso or Shell. I mostly go there because it is right becide where I shop, just quick and easy.

Yes, the gas itself is purchased from the large producers. It is not anywhere close to the same though.

Sugarphreak
04-09-2014, 07:29 AM

nickyh
04-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Yeah, the parking is not the best there plus who designs an entrance to a grocery store next to the 4 way stop should be shot.
I tend to park at the back of the lot closer to M&M meats.

The old program for fuel was seamless, most times I prefer to pay at the pump and not talk to the gas attendant at all, it's just faster that way. So if we have to go in with the code to pay now to get the discount, I may be less inclined to bother and fill up elsewhere. If they could program the pumps to accept the code, that would be a win for everyone or have a scanner that worked, bonus.

I still can't stand the Co-Op in Wentworth or Superstore. When are they going to be done with the Costco in the Cougar Ridge area??

whydontchathen
04-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by speedog
.... - can't comment on COOP as I just can't stand all the older people there (older than me).

:werd:

wow, I don't get it! Can't stand old ppl, :confused: and you so close to being one, hahaha!

what's not to like, speedog?

speedog
04-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by whydontchathen
:werd:

wow, I don't get it! Can't stand old ppl, :confused: and you so close to being one, hahaha!

what's not to like, speedog?
I don't move that slowly yet.