PDA

View Full Version : Co-Requisites?

davidI
02-29-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm in Business and I wanted to take MKTG 317 in the spring but it says that it's co-requisite is MGST 391. I was under the impression that a co-requisite meant that you had to take both courses at the same time, however, MGST 391 is not offered in the spring. So, what's the deal with co-requisites?

Weapon_R
02-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Seems as though you are going to have problems here. Just because a course lists a co-req, they don't have to offer it.

Just get the consent of your dept - usually, they'll let you take it if you show them that you are committed to doing well.

davidI
02-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Yea, I can get into it by doing that but my question is still the same....how would anyone be able to take the class unless maybe the failed MKTG 317 and passed MGST 391. They are both co-requisites for each other which to me means they must be taken at the same time....?

Gainsbarre
02-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Actually, when it says "co-requisite" it just about always means that it (the 'co-requisite') can also be a pre-requisite as well.

For example, MGST 391 did not become a co-requisite for MKTG 317 until fall 2003. I knew a few people in MKTG 317 who had taken MGST 391 in the previous semester, and people in MGST 391 who took MKTG 317 before fall 2003.

Talk to the people in the undergraduate office. They should let you take MKTG 317 without MGST 391. Trust me..there's absolutely no justifiable reason for making MGST 391 a co-requisite for MKTG 317. I completed both courses last semester and they don't have ANYTHING in common. They claim that you'll need to make use of the research methods covered in MGST 391 for the term project in MKTG 317, but that's just pure :bullshit:

Oh and just a heads up for MKTG 317. It is the most dreadful, abominable 317 course by far:banghead: . FNCE 317 and ACCT 317 are both a breeze when compared to MKTG 317.:guns:

davidI
02-29-2004, 11:04 PM
Really? I heard FNCE 317 was supposed to be the toughest but if what you say is true about Marketing then maybe I should get it out of the way in my second year.

Gainsbarre
02-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Well FNCE 317 is pretty tough too..I spent about 12-15 hours a week on it, but I did pull off an A in it. The material isn't too bad, and some of the lecture notes (the chapters written by Larry Wood) are somewhat enjoyable...Larry's the man you want to take FNCE 317 with...he's much better than the other profs who teach it.

Anyways, the reason why I hated MKTG 317 and (personally) found it to be the most difficult core course was because I felt that I had very little control over my grades in that course. With FNCE 317 at least you know that you need to study the lecture notes throughly and go through/understand all of the examples covered to do well on the exams, and it's is within the realm of possibility to get an A. The exam questions are fairly straightforward, and while all of the exams are entirely multiple choice, at least they're more objective when it comes to grading them.

With MKTG 317, the grading methods were far to subjective. First of all, there's a BRUTAL term project that's done in groups. For the lecture section I was in, we had to come up with a marketing plan for some chicken-shit esthetics salon. I didn't even have a clue what that was when I first heard about it (it's a beauty salon that specializes in nail care). Unless you're in a good group (I wasn't), don't expect to get above a B- or B on the project. It's easily the worst group project I've ever had to do.

And the exams...they're just awful. The multiple choice questions are pulled out of the test bank that comes with the instructor's manual, and many ask obscure questions about concepts that are covered in two sentences on the bottom of page XXX of the textbook (seriously). The short answer/case study portions af the exams are even worse. Clueless BComm students (yes, BComm, not MBA) who are on a power trip grade the exams, and unless your response is phrased in the exact same mechanical manner as it appears in the answer key, you can kiss your grades goodbye.

So if you're trying to keep your GPA up, make sure to take some easy A courses (MGIS 317, ASTR 205..) in the same semester that you're taking MKTG 317 to compensate for the probable low (and undoubtely unfair) grade you'll get in it. Fortunately, the other four courses I had last semester were easy enough to keep me on the Dean's list, despite getting such a lousy grade in MKTG 317. :D

davidI
03-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Thanx a lot man, your advice just helped me decide what I'm going to do! My grades so far have been weak but that's because I always knew that I wanted to buckle down for my last 20 courses and get on the Deans list. I am going to try and take MKTG 317 this spring and get it out of the way!

sexualbanana
03-01-2004, 01:28 AM
Since I'm a mktg major, I loved marketing. Fun fun shit.

Like Gains said, it MGST 391 just became a pre-req this year. It was supposed to be a pre-req last year, but it somehow got omitted from the calendar, thus I managed to get in due to their mistake.

There's really nothing that you need to know from 391 to 317. There's a bit of market research stuff (like Gains said), but it's nothing hard at all.

thich
03-01-2004, 06:40 PM
^^
I agree, there is nothing that you really need to know from 391 that 317 even requires...
there was like 1 day where we talked briefly about research :P totally useless in my books.

if you're a marketing major, then 317 isn't much of a problem except for the dumb midterm and final b/c of just how it's structured - if you study and know your stuff, you do well.

I'd be worried about FNCE317 tho... make sure you don't take that course lightly seeing as a new book was introduced this year as well that you have to complete during block week.