PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys think of Nissan Altima 3.5 and Maxima?

automachine
04-06-2014, 08:42 PM
I am planning to buy brand new 2014 either Nissan Altima 3.5 or Maxima.
How do you guys think of these? please share what you guys think about them?
Also do I have fill premium gas for Maxima?

thanks in advance.

revelations
04-06-2014, 08:43 PM
How about a year.

Rowdy
04-07-2014, 01:09 PM
I can give some insight, since I just bought a 2010 Maxima with 31,000 kms on it.

The Pro's
- I like how it looks, mine is white with the black roof.
- very comfortable interior, spacious in the back for my growing boys, my 14 y/o son keeps getting taller 5'9" right now and he is comfortable in the back, but prefers when I let him drive.
- Good power (290hp)
- love the options, Bluetooth, Nav, Panorama Sunroof, rear sunshade, heated steering wheel, rear audio controls. Its loaded and well laid out.

The Undecided (after 6,000 kms)
- The CVT tranny is ........different. Its very smooth, and under full throttle it makes the best use of the power. I think it still throws me how it changes the way you experience the drive. Under full throttle you expect a gear change and the change in engine sound as the rpm drops, but in a cvt that never happens. Its just sustained WOT. So that's different.
-the interior has obvious areas where they went for savings. The passenger seat is power but has no height adjustment. Does not have the cooling feature, and does not have the extended thigh support. Its not as good a seat as the driver side, less comfortable.
-Some of the plastics are very cheap looking others are very nice.
-The handling is good for a bigger sedan, but the ride is a bit choppy.
- with what I list in the undecided here I look at what I paid (mid 20's) and feel like I got a lot of car for the money, so I am ok with some of it. Had I bought new and paid over $40,000 I would be unhappy.

The Cons
- the torque steer. Its bothersome to me because I am used to rear wheel drive and awd. That pull in the wheel drives me nuts.
-the stereo is shit. Some may think its great but I love a good system and this Bose one is far from it. But I can fix it with some effort.

SO having said all that, I am happy with my car. I found a great loaded ride that met my families needs, with only 31,000 kms and was under $30,000, and overall I enjoy driving it. Looks good and is still a fun drive.

I never buy new. There are to many great buys out there I would rather let someone else take the hit on depreciation. If I was spending mid $40's I would be looking at something else.

Just as some background, I am 43 with a wife and 2 boys. I have done a lot of work in and around the car industry. I was an Amvic licensed broker for 5 years and imported many vehicles for customers from the US. I have owned everything from Civics to 7 series, SUV and 1 ton diesels. I love cars and have owned many.

Hope that helps.

r3ccOs
04-07-2014, 01:23 PM
I have had an 06' SE-R Altima with the VQ and I've had to replace the engine and again redo the cam phasers with only 70k km on the engine.

I used 5-30 synthetic (mostly Mobile ) every 5k km and still this happens.

I wouldn't buy another vehicle with a VQ engine again

mr2mike
04-07-2014, 01:42 PM
After 2003, they moved production from Japan to the USA and the quality and workmanship definitely went down.

n1zm0
04-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
After 2003, they moved production from Japan to the USA and the quality and workmanship definitely went down.

Don't let heavyD hear you say that! (http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/buying-brand-new-car-17-25k-opinions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=374859&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=4) :poosie:

personally I think the last good Maxima was the 5th gen A33 as mr2 says, all that stuff after 03' is meh

mr2mike
04-07-2014, 02:14 PM
ahh heavyD lost all credibility when he sold his MR2. :drama:

Mitsu3000gt
04-07-2014, 02:46 PM
The Maxima is a pointless vehicle IMO when you can buy a G37 (sorry Q50 lol), starting at $37,500, well equipped AWD Premium for $43,400.

Maxima starts at $38,680 and ends up within a grand or two of the Q50 if you add any package, which forces you to take Navigation as best I can tell. You also have to take FWD.

The Altimas sometimes get crazy incentives, a friend of mine picked up a brand new Altima in 2011 or 2012, 3.5L, full load, for $27,000.

Most if not all of those VQ V6's have a premium fuel recommendation.

Just my opinion of course, but I've always felt like the Maxima was a useless vehicle when in their own family, there is the G37/Q50, which is better in every way and a more premium brand for basically the same price.

automachine
04-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Thank you so much guys.
Someone mentioned about Infiniti G37 but don't like style, prefer A4 than G37 if go that way. Also I didn't know that has to fill up premium gas even for Maxima.
Actually I was thinking to buy either Nissan Maxima or Mercedes-Benz GLK but I was think that GLK is too high maintaining even insurance. Is that really too high?
How much usually spend a maintaining for either Maxima and GLK per year?
Is that really high cost, I could go buy second car for Maxima or GLK.
I am 41 years and have 4 years daughter and wife, just regular family guy.

Thanks again guys

Xtrema
04-07-2014, 04:05 PM
All Nissan VQ35s no longer recommends premium because Toyota and Honda don't recommend premium either to deter people who are allergic to premium gas prices. But it will run better on it.

IMO, if you don't like premium gas's price, which works out to about ~$500/year of extra fuel cost, I won't bother with most premium cars.

You are also cross shopping GLK with Maxima which are totally from different class and different driving dynamics (AWD vs FWD, SUV vs Sedan). I would find out if you really need a crossover/SUV. They are almost always use more fuel than their sedan counterpart due to worse aerodynamics.

If I'm in your position, I would just get a loaded Altima when they have heavy discount. There is really no point for Maxima any more. Hasn't been since 2003.

civic_stylez
04-07-2014, 04:55 PM
From working for Nissan all i have to say is the 3.5 Altima fully loaded with everything comes in well under the Maxima and is a GREAT car to drive. I much preferred the 3.5 Altima. Its lighter, less boxy (my opinion) and gives a ton of great options. BSW, heated steering wheel etc.. thats where I would go but both cars a really nice.

Xtrema
04-07-2014, 09:23 PM
And also, if you do a lot of city driving, bumping down to a 4 cylinder will also help you save gas. In the regard, you may want to check out the Accord with CVT or Mazda 6 with the Skyactive engine.

n1zm0
04-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Mazda 6 with the Skyactive engine.

I've been reading reviews on this car and it's just blowing ratings out of the water (except for its engine performance) as well as winning alot of awards overall, I don't know if people are afraid to buy them because of the last 2 gens and their Ford love affair or because the resale was so low on them. The new 6 is definitely a good looking and innovative midsize for sure. I'm interested in it because i'm not a beyond baller (:() and need a new sedan soon, but would be moreso interested if that Turbo Diesel would come with it sooner than later.

M.alex
04-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by automachine

Actually I was thinking to buy either Nissan Maxima or Mercedes-Benz GLK but I was think that GLK is too high maintaining even insurance. Is that really too high?
How much usually spend a maintaining for either Maxima and GLK per year?

I just bought my dad a '12 g37 sedan after road debris took out his engine (tore a hole through the engine block, lol) on his i35. He's owned 2 infinitis (nissans) and the first went to 390,000 before giving up, the second made it to 340,000kms before the road debris made it a total loss.

maintenance costs have been virtually 0 - over 13yr period he only spent $4,500 total on it (granted i do the work myself on it, like radiator replacement, brakes, etc..., but none of it had been major stuff).

If maintenance costs are a thought I'd go with the nissan in a heartbeat - all my experiences with them in terms of longevity have been positive, as well as people i know who have maximas (usually >200,000 kms w/o any issues)

98type_r
04-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

I just bought my dad a '12 g37 sedan after road debris took out his engine (tore a hole through the engine block, lol) on his i35. He's owned 2 infinitis (nissans) and the first went to 390,000 before giving up, the second made it to 340,000kms before the road debris made it a total loss.

maintenance costs have been virtually 0 - over 13yr period he only spent $4,500 total on it (granted i do the work myself on it, like radiator replacement, brakes, etc..., but none of it had been major stuff).

If maintenance costs are a thought I'd go with the nissan in a heartbeat - all my experiences with them in terms of longevity have been positive, as well as people i know who have maximas (usually >200,000 kms w/o any issues)

Neither of those was a CVT though was it? I'm curious about the longevity of the CVT, warrantied for a full 200k km but I haven't heard of any in that ballpark yet. All the issues in the new Pathfinder/JX/QX60 don't seem to be hurting their sales either.

supe
04-08-2014, 11:07 AM
I have an 07 Altima SE, its not the CVT tho. Its been excellent for me, zero issues. Nissan as a company is good too no complaints, good service, decent prices.

I always take a gander at the current lineup when I do my oil changes and I think the new Altima is awesome. IMO Nissan pushes the tech bar a bit compared to its competition so you'll get some nice features. I was talking to the sales guy and he told me that the Maxima is due for an upgrade next year so you could score a good deal on it if you don't mind getting the last of the generation. The Maxima is really just like an Altima, slightly bigger with nicer finishes.

mr2mike
04-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Took my 1994 Altima to 316K (from almost new, went through whole family before I got it) Tach broke so I am estimating the last few hundred kms.
Not much for maintenance and we did it all ourselves. Typical brakes, tranny flush, air filter, fuel filter, coolant flush. Changed alternator once, starter once and cam position sensor. Excellent car.

My 2003 maxima is at 260K and no signs of slowing down. Did brakes, alternator and probably do the starter (preventative at this point).
Got all the suspension stuff to do a suspension refresh and redid the exhaust system not too long ago. I love the heated steering wheel in the winter.

Both were on synthetic oil.
Downside is the rear fenders seem to rust just over the wheels on these cars. Fixed it a little but really needs to be cut off and rewelded.

Xtrema
04-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

I've been reading reviews on this car and it's just blowing ratings out of the water (except for its engine performance) as well as winning alot of awards overall, I don't know if people are afraid to buy them because of the last 2 gens and their Ford love affair or because the resale was so low on them. The new 6 is definitely a good looking and innovative midsize for sure. I'm interested in it because i'm not a beyond baller (:() and need a new sedan soon, but would be moreso interested if that Turbo Diesel would come with it sooner than later.

I think the 6's is not as competitive on price since it's the only true Japanese mid-size car on the market other than Legacy. Loaded 4 banger can be hit high $30s out the door.

I also heard good thing about the not quite DCT auto transmission.

duaner
04-08-2014, 12:35 PM
My '03 3.5 Altima is just over 182k and will be needing some major repair work soon. Only had to replace the alternator, battery, brakes, and suspension in 7 years of ownership. Strong, reliable engine with decent mileage.

At the moment brakes are a concern again and the last time I had it in at Brasso, they said I had a small oil leak from the crankcase cover (?) or something like that, which will need to be repaired at some point soon for $1500. Not sure if it's worth it, although it's still cheaper than buying another vehicle.

But the main issue is rust. I have undercoating but some plug had come off on the passenger side at some point a few years ago and there is significant rust to the undercarriage. There seem to be many Altimas in the US without the rust protection that have holes through the floor. In researching it I found that rust was a bit of an issue on several Nissan makes, and not just the undercarriage. Can't wait to get under there and see how much damage this winter has done. :nut:

For that reason alone I will not buy another Nissan. Of course, my next vehicle will hopefully be an AWD sedan or wagon, so that rules Nissan out anyway. I'll drive my Altima into the ground and then sell it to whoever wants some aftermarket parts. Could be sooner rather than later.

heavyD
04-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

Don't let heavyD hear you say that! (http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/buying-brand-new-car-17-25k-opinions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=374859&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=4) :poosie:

personally I think the last good Maxima was the 5th gen A33 as mr2 says, all that stuff after 03' is meh

Oh I heard it and not really much to say as Nissan is a middling brand whether the vehicles are made in North America or Japan.

Ca_Silvia13
04-08-2014, 06:19 PM
They understeer badly and the CVT is terrible. I love that 6spd though...

heavyD
04-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
They understeer badly and the CVT is terrible. I love that 6spd though...

CVT's are for people that don't like cars and look at them purely as point A to B transportation.

automachine
04-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

CVT's are for people that don't like cars and look at them purely as point A to B transportation.

What is that mean?

n1zm0
04-09-2014, 09:28 AM
What is that mean?

Pretty much exactly as he stated, the first time you drive a CVT you'll understand, it's like having unlimited adjustable gear ratios where there's no conventional feeling of torque you're usually used to, just sameness and monotony when you plant the pedal. Hence it's for the 'A-B, cars will forever be just a piece of metal that gets you from here to there' kind of driver.

The first time got to try one was in a rental Sentra about 5 years ago all the way to Vancouver, it's never a fun ride in a small slow car for 1000kms, it's 3x worse in a small car with a CVT for 1000kms, imo at least.

Xtrema
04-09-2014, 12:06 PM

What is that mean?

Compare CVT to other transmissions, it tends drone at higher RPM regardless of condition which can be annoying.

That said, Nissan is the best of the worse when it comes to CVT behavior (when mated with the VQ35)