PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question

Monumber1
02-29-2004, 08:50 PM
My Civic got stolen last week. I'm going through Allstate Insurance for my claim since they still haven't found it. I got sent a affidavit to fill out. Now - the car had a engine swap that I didn't mention when I got the policy. On the affidavit it asks if the car had its original engine/transmission. If I say "no it had a new engine" can Allstate void my policy and not pay me out because the car maybe more prone to theft?

I bought the car with the swap already - if I say that it had the original engine and down the road they find the car and it still has the B16A in it can they go after me? Or can I claim that I bought the car that way and didn't know it wasn't the original engine?

rage2
02-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Well, technically, by lying when you bought your policy, they have a right to void your policy and not pay you out. It rarely happens, but it CAN happen.

When you first purchased your policy, especially for Civics, they always ask "is the car modified, or will you be modifying it?". If you say yes, they won't sell you a policy because they don't like the risks involved. There are some insurance companies that cover modified cars, but of course you're not gonna be paying Civic insurance rates.

I'm guessing what will happen is they'll pay you what a bone stock civic is worth for the theft, which ain't much, meaning you will lose out on the engine swap, mods, etc. So saying you have a swap and admitting to lying, or telling them you have a stock motor, isn't going to make any difference IMO.

403Gemini
03-01-2004, 03:32 AM
jus play the dumb card "aftermarket engine? whats that? like a new hood?" lol

Khyron
03-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Just say the old engine blew up and some mechanic friend that knows about these new-fangled cars put in a new one. If you remember the odometer reading that might help.

Khyron