View Full Version : Bodybuilders Against Tipping

Pages : [1] 2

rob the knob
04-07-2014, 07:59 PM
you lifter guys here don't tip?

https://www.facebook.com/bodybuildersagainsttipping

Adrenaline101
04-07-2014, 08:46 PM
You remind me of a goldfish with posting privileges.
" oh random Internet bullshit, must share!! "

rob the knob
04-07-2014, 09:00 PM
thanks tips

Graham_A_M
04-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Wow, cool post bro.... a bunch of shirtless goofs advocating not tipping? wow. 1000 internet points for you sir. :rolleyes:

Sugarphreak
04-07-2014, 10:39 PM

J.M.
04-07-2014, 10:45 PM
cool story rob

haggis88
04-08-2014, 12:31 AM
i'm not against tipping, but i am against the ridiculous amount that they say is a "suggested" tip...and that bullshit about a mandatory gratuity for larger parties

do your job well and i'll tip you 10% or the odds to make it to a round number, if you're shite you'll get fuck all

no-one tips me for my job yet people depend on me doing a good job for them to live comfortably (to a certain extent)

codetrap
04-08-2014, 12:55 AM
I wish all I got was the tip.. but no... I have to get the whole shaft....

Relax they say... if you clench it'll just hurt more...

:poosie:

msommers
04-08-2014, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I wish all I got was the tip.. but no... I have to get the whole shaft....

Relax they say... if you clench it'll just hurt more...

:poosie:

Huh. Well then.

codetrap
04-08-2014, 01:43 AM
It's a joke. :D

GQBalla
04-08-2014, 07:28 AM
that guy looks like zyzz's brother.

probably another publicity thing like his brother always did.

klumsy_tumbler
04-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Adrenaline101
You remind me of a goldfish with posting privileges.
" oh random Internet bullshit, must share!! "

Oh man, that was just golden. One of the best things I've read on these forums lol :thumbsup:

rage2
04-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by haggis88
i'm not against tipping, but i am against the ridiculous amount that they say is a "suggested" tip...and that bullshit about a mandatory gratuity for larger parties

do your job well and i'll tip you 10% or the odds to make it to a round number, if you're shite you'll get fuck all
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-among-canada-s-worst-tippers-1.2595829

Calgarians proved the most miserly of the bunch according to Square, tipping just 59.4 per cent of the time, with an average tip of 13.3 per cent.
We're a bunch of cheap fucks here in Calgary.

schocker
04-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by rage2

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-among-canada-s-worst-tippers-1.2595829

Also helps that most people have never used square to pay for anything in their life :rofl:

Also, there are lots of places that you would generally never tip at that include a tip option....

faiz999
04-08-2014, 11:17 AM
what are ppls thoughts on tipping before you get your food OR tipping for take out?

i tip ppl who are STILL making my food. i figure, it's good incentive to NOT fuck up my meal and to treat me like a valued customer :)

codetrap
04-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by faiz999
what are ppls thoughts on tipping before you get your food OR tipping for take out?

i tip ppl who are STILL making my food. i figure, it's good incentive to NOT fuck up my meal and to treat me like a valued customer :) I don't tip before a meal. Nor do I tip on takeout. Why would I? I'm doing all the "service" work and already paying for the meal. Should I tip myself for providing good service to... myself? To me, this would be like tipping the clerk at McDonalds, or the "barista" at Starbucks, or the clerk at Canadian Tire. Just because it's food doesn't mean I *have* to magically tip you for it. It's still a basic product, and there's a baseline expected service for it. There's no variability in the service.

zipdoa
04-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
that guy looks like zyzz's brother.

probably another publicity thing like his brother always did.

That is Said Shavershian (Chestbrah) but I doubt he started the page. He will forever live in his brothers shadow...

Crazy. I drop a 25% tip when I go to my favorite restaurants, but rarely tip over 15% at any regular joint.

blairtruck
04-08-2014, 11:39 AM
i never get my food delivered so i dont tip delivery guy.
if i get Chinese takeout no tip. if i get Chinese and eat in then i triple the gst which is %15 then round that up to the nearest dollar. tip jar at fast food place is a joke.

i hate tipping. ive never needed it. nor got it for any job ive ever done.

stealth
04-08-2014, 11:47 AM
How about this.

You go to a restaurant that is pretty popular (Joey in Edmonton), it is packed for a Monday at lunch.

The waitress doesn't bother to take your order right away. Manager notices your pissed and comes to apologize.

Waitress comes by and apologizes.

Manager removes appetizers and kids meal from the bill and offers free dessert.

Do you give a good tip since basically you got a few free meals and they acknowledged their screw up? Or do you tip shitty, since the waitress wasn't the greatest.

Idiot Stick
04-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by stealth
How about this.

You go to a restaurant that is pretty popular (Joey in Edmonton), it is packed for a Monday at lunch.

The waitress doesn't bother to take your order right away. Manager notices your pissed and comes to apologize.

Do you give a good tip since basically you got a few free meals and they acknowledged their screw up? Or do you tip shitty, since the waitress wasn't the greatest.

Good tip, because they recognized their fuckup and provided a solution.

A790
04-08-2014, 12:28 PM
How about this.

Do you give a good tip since basically you got a few free meals and they acknowledged their screw up? Or do you tip shitty, since the waitress wasn't the greatest. I'd tip since they rectified the issues.

firebane
04-08-2014, 12:45 PM
How about this.

Not at all. Your essentially tipping them to say "Well you fucked up here you go!"

Situations like that I won't tip at all. I'll eat my meal and leave. Heck I've wakled out on places before where I've had to wait for a waitress or someone to come over after I've been there for 10 minutes.

nickyh
04-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Different scenario:

Westhills Montana's.

Seated right away, order taken within a reasonable time frame, server offers one refill on pop. 1 hour later food is not at table and server is running around but avoiding the tables.
After making eye contact with server for the 10th time manager comes over and apologizes that the kitchen is behind.

20minutes later (1.5hrs in total) after eyeing the McDonalds you can see from your table, your food eventually arrives and it's cold but at that stage you are so hungry and just want to eat and leave.

Manager again apologizes and comps one meal, the next time you see the server is when you are brought the bill. Do you tip that?

firebane
04-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
Different scenario:

Westhills Montana's.

Seated right away, order taken within a reasonable time frame, server offers one refill on pop. 1 hour later food is not at table and server is running around but avoiding the tables.
After making eye contact with server for the 10th time manager comes over and apologizes that the kitchen is behind.

20minutes later (1.5hrs in total) after eyeing the McDonalds you can see from your table, your food eventually arrives and it's cold but at that stage you are so hungry and just want to eat and leave.

Manager again apologizes and comps one meal, the next time you see the server is when you are brought the bill. Do you tip that?

Don't even get me started on Westhills Montanas that place does not get any of my business from me anymore due to the absolute shit service I have gotten there.

I will give a place a chance to redeem themselves and if they can't I don't go back ever.

And in your situation I wouldn't even have waited. I would have simply left and gone elsewhere for something to eat. People are far to push over and despite being hungry and feeling bad for leaving.. just leave.

Go somewhere else.. it may not be what you wanted but Mcdonalds or Subway will be far better and satisfying knowing you didn't have to wait for 1 hour.

And again.. no I would not tip.. Your again paying for THEIR fuckups.

tirebob
04-08-2014, 01:40 PM
I typically tip 3 times the GST (rounded), or up to four if it was exceptional service. Take out and simply 2 pizza delivery I will usually flat rate tip $5.00,but sometimes more if I go there often. I find that I always get little extras like drinks, dips, and extra dishes from the more mom and pop companies I always tip well...

If you do a super shitty job and are a douche in general, I will not tip anything...

Masked Bandit
04-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Different scenario:

Westhills Montana's.

Hell No!

That must be a regular problem with that location. We've only been there once (live on the other side of town) and we had brutal service while there as well.

nickyh
04-08-2014, 01:48 PM
The server looked shocked when I handed back the machine and he saw zero tip.
Yeah, coulda / shoulda walked about but husband and I were also stuck in that dredded traffic time so while McDonalds would have been fine to feed to hunger we would still be stuck in the rush hour traffic.
Either way it was crap food.

I've never been back to any Montana's after that (2009).

faiz999
04-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
I don't tip before a meal. Nor do I tip on takeout. Why would I? I'm doing all the "service" work and already paying for the meal. Should I tip myself for providing good service to... myself? To me, this would be like tipping the clerk at McDonalds, or the "barista" at Starbucks, or the clerk at Canadian Tire. Just because it's food doesn't mean I *have* to magically tip you for it. It's still a basic product, and there's a baseline expected service for it. There's no variability in the service.

interesting. this what most of my friends think too.

but IF i see the guy is making my food or shortly will be, then i will tip. i figure it's a good way of acknowledging that i expect a certain level of quality and that he will be rewarded for doing a good job (ofc technically i have rewarded him even if he does a bad job).

BUT, i want him to know that there's already a built in incentive to put maximum effort in preparing my meal and that i appreciate the work he's about to put in.

that being said, i dont think its WRONG to not tip if you A) pick up a meal or B) are paying before any service is provided.

i just do it because i feel like the 2-3 bucks im tipping will mean alot more to them than to me. if the service is still shitty and the food is too, AFTER ive tipped, i rarely go back.

kenny
04-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Went to Frogurt in Kensington yesterday, and during payment I'm prompted to enter a tip. It's a self-serve fast food joint and they want a tip? for what?

Lex350
04-08-2014, 02:10 PM
This tipping culture has gotten out of control. Everybody seems to have a top jar or something lately. It makes me want to tip less with this feeling of entitlement everywhere. You have shitty pay serving because that's the way the business model is. Don't expect me to automatically compensate for it. You work hard and are a good server then you will be rewarded for that. Good service gets a good tip. A good tip always happens when I am at one of my regular places. (that pays off)

riander5
04-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Don't tip for fast food or froyo (lol self serve froyo tip jars crack me up), do tip for takeout if its a mom and pop joint and they are awesome, do tip for service, do hope that people like firebane stop going out to eat to reduce the number of disgruntled mad at the world impossible to please people in restaraunts

firebane
04-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by riander5
Don't tip for fast food or froyo (lol self serve froyo tip jars crack me up), do tip for takeout if its a mom and pop joint and they are awesome, do tip for service, do hope that people like firebane stop going out to eat to reduce the number of disgruntled mad at the world impossible to please people in restaraunts

I'm not impossible to please. In fact I was Earls in Westhills a few nights ago having dinner and me and my gf ordered their pizzas and when the waitress dropped them she commented on how good they were and that if you really wanted to make it better to try this dip she recommended. My girlfriend said and throughly enjoyed it and the entire night waitress was good.

She got a good tip from us.

If we are going to a place to eat we expect service and quality. There is no excuse for a shitty understaffed kitchen or dining room that is poor management happening right there.

There is a hole in the wall restaurant we go to for chinese food up near 29th and Richmond Road and its always the 1 single lady serving and taking orders and she always gets a good tip because she is always happy, smiling and eager to serve us.

The service industry is absolute shit in Calgary and as people say this whole entitlement to a good tip is just bullshit. Tips are to be earned not given and if you earn the tip you will get it but you better make sure my experience at that restaurant is worth it.

riander5
04-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Fair response. I still wouldnt take out a kitchens f*ck up all on the waitress though. If my meal / night isnt terribly ruined and I get a bunch of stuff taken care of, ill bump the tip up since I would have paid way more anyways - providing the server gives a shit (which they always have in my experience)

Maybe im too easy going.....

Originally posted by firebane

I'm not impossible to please. In fact I was Earls in Westhills a few nights ago having dinner and me and my gf ordered their pizzas and when the waitress dropped them she commented on how good they were and that if you really wanted to make it better to try this dip she recommended. My girlfriend said and throughly enjoyed it and the entire night waitress was good.

She got a good tip from us.

If we are going to a place to eat we expect service and quality. There is no excuse for a shitty understaffed kitchen or dining room that is poor management happening right there.

There is a hole in the wall restaurant we go to for chinese food up near 29th and Richmond Road and its always the 1 single lady serving and taking orders and she always gets a good tip because she is always happy, smiling and eager to serve us.

The service industry is absolute shit in Calgary and as people say this whole entitlement to a good tip is just bullshit. Tips are to be earned not given and if you earn the tip you will get it but you better make sure my experience at that restaurant is worth it.

firebane
04-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by riander5
Fair response. I still wouldnt take out a kitchens f*ck up all on the waitress though. If my meal / night isnt terribly ruined and I get a bunch of stuff taken care of, ill bump the tip up since I would have paid way more anyways - providing the server gives a shit (which they always have in my experience)

Maybe im too easy going.....

Its called a poor follow up. The waitress didn't even approach the table because she knew the kitchen was fucking up and eventually had to have the manager walk over.

So yes the waitress fucked up, the kichen fell behind and the manager had to fix it... and do you know who is all response for the entire mess?

The manager.

Yes your too easy going.

FraserB
04-08-2014, 03:05 PM
The service industry in Calgary has gotten out of hand really. The attitude these days seems to be that if they show up for their shift, they get paid their hourly. If they manage not to dump your dinner all over you, they get a 20%+ tip. Businesses really need to move away from a model of having their customers subsidize the wages of employees.

Pretty much every place that serves food or drink and interact with customers seems to have a tip jar and a tip option that automatically comes up on the debit machine. Really confused me when it happened at Menchies in Okotoks when all they did was ring up the stuff I'd picked up myself.

firebane
04-08-2014, 03:13 PM
The whole tip thing on the debit machine I don't mind it as long as there is an option to say no or use 0.

BrknFngrs
04-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
The service industry in Calgary has gotten out of hand really. The attitude these days seems to be that if they show up for their shift, they get paid their hourly. If they manage not to dump your dinner all over you, they get a 20%+ tip. Businesses really need to move away from a model of having their customers subsidize the wages of employees.

There was an article in one of those free newspapers a while back that included a quote from someone representing the food service industry (I think it maybe got posted on beyond actually...)

They basically said that anything less than 20% is unnacceptable given the relative wealth in Calgary. Ever since reading that I cap my tips at 15% unless service is out of this world EXCEPTIONAL.

FraserB
04-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

There was an article in one of those free newspapers a while back that included a quote from someone representing the food service industry (I think it maybe got posted on beyond actually...)

They basically said that anything less than 20% is unnacceptable given the relative wealth in Calgary. Ever since reading that I cap my tips at 15% unless service is out of this world EXCEPTIONAL.

Perfect illustration the issue right there. Belief that since there might be money floating around out there, they are entitled to their share regardless of how they do their job.

If it was from the article that Rage posted it makes even less sense since all the places that use this Square app thing are probably the ones where you wouldn't even tip to begin with.

Lex350
04-08-2014, 03:33 PM

They basically said that anything less than 20% is unnacceptable given the relative wealth in Calgary. .

...and there is where the entitlement comes into play. You want to make that kind of money then go to school, get a better job (career) and earn it.

sabad66
04-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Chachis sandwich shop in shell centre asks for a tip...wtf is that all about?

Otherwise at sit downs I'll do 12-20% depending on service

botox
04-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Went to Frogurt in Kensington yesterday, and during payment I'm prompted to enter a tip. It's a self-serve fast food joint and they want a tip? for what?
I'm noticing this more and more these days at fast food joints, even the ones in food courts. I went to self serve sushi place that had the tip option on the debit machine as well. I think it's basically costing the stores nothing to add the option so why not, it's free money for suckers who actually give them a tip.

btimbit
04-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Sit down restaurants or delivery drivers: Tipping is good

Subway, frozen yogurt places, fast food, etc: Fuck that, no tip.

Not at all. Your essentially tipping them to say "Well you fucked up here you go!

Best way to judge service IMO is not just when or how often mistakes are made, but how those mistakes get fixed.

Do they offer a solution, i.e comping a menu item, apologizing, or gift cards, something to compensate for the mistake? That's good service to me.

Or if they go Moxies style, replace the messed up item with no appologies (wasting more time) and still charging full price for it. That = $0.01 tip.

duaner
04-08-2014, 04:02 PM

Perfect illustration the issue right there. Belief that since there might be money floating around out there, they are entitled to their share regardless of how they do their job.

If it was from the article that Rage posted it makes even less sense since all the places that use this Square app thing are probably the ones where you wouldn't even tip to begin with.
Just to put some perspective on things, one of my nieces who works in the food service industry, told me about "tipping out," or whatever it's called. I had never heard of it but some restaurants have a mandatory tip, basically charged to the server--some minimum, probably 10%.

If there is no tip or low tip, the server has to cover it out of pocket. I'm not sure how that's legal but it's probably common.

A790
04-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Or if they go Moxies style, replace the messed up item with no appologies (wasting more time) and still charging full price for it. That = $0.01 tip.
Last time I was at Moxies they seriously fucked up our order. Manager came, comped the whole meal. I had to insist on paying for the appies (that they didn't fuck up).

btimbit
04-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by duaner

Just to put some perspective on things, one of my nieces who works in the food service industry, told me about "tipping out," or whatever it's called. I had never heard of it but some restaurants have a mandatory tip, basically charged to the server--some minimum, probably 10%.

If there is no tip or low tip, the server has to cover it out of pocket. I'm not sure how that's legal but it's probably common.

Very common. Basically tips get shared with everyone who helped make sure that that guest had a good time, since not just the server contributes to that. From the hostess that opened the door, the guy in the morning that made sure the lettuce in your salad was cut the correct size, to the brown kid who made sure your plates were clean.

Restaurants mostly calculate this in a different way, sometimes it's a percentage of overall tips, or of overall sales. A good average is 3% to the kitchen staff and 2% to the bar staff, 5% total.
The crappy part of this system is that usually a server is still responsible for the tip out even if tips were crappy. Say a FOB Asian family comes in, has a $200 bill, and tips $5. That server is actually losing money on that table since she has to pay the kitchen and bar $10 regardless of what she made.

Some restaurants have systems in place to counter that, in the past I've payed servers tips out of the profits if that server got stiffed (if it's just a customer being a dick and it's found that there was no reason for getting stiffed) there's also other things like an auto-grat (automatic gratuity) that automatically charges a certain % for tips onto the bill if you have a table with over a certain amount of people. But most restaurants won't do either of those things and there's times when servers lose money over a shift.

Bigger pain in the ass is Revenue Canada. If they know you're a server or a worker that usually gets tips, if you get re-assessed they'll consider those tips as regular income. Now I have no problem with that, I've always claimed any I get in the past anyway and never been re-assessed, but since there's usually no record of what that person made, and Revenue Canada decides that you got tips, they just tack on an extra amount that you owe them. This number was 10% in the past but I've heard rumblings of it going up. Again seems fair on the surface to catch the dipshits that don't claim anything, but many times what Revenue Canada decides what you earned is way over what you actually earned, so a server could lose a lot of money this way. Even if they claimed their tips 100% accurately, since there's usually no evidence of this income Revenue Canada can decide that you didn't claim enough and say you owe them more money, all off of an income you didn't actually receive.

BrknFngrs
04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by duaner

Definitely common but 10% seems pretty high; I've usually seen somewhere around 5-8%.

Pretty good example of how ridiculous tipping has gotten in my view; not only are you expected to subsidize the servers wages; now you're doing it for the kitchen staff and management as well (through tip-out)

rage2
04-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Definitely common but 10% seems pretty high; I've usually seen somewhere around 5-8%.

Pretty good example of how ridiculous tipping has gotten in my view; not only are you expected to subsidize the servers wages; now you're doing it for the kitchen staff and management as well (through tip-out)
Tipping out has been around since I was a bus boy, and that was in 1990 haha. Wait staff was tipping out at 7% back then.

You guys continue to cheap out on tips, it'll just cost me less to tip above average haha. I'm remembered at my favorite restaurants and get awesome service every single time because I tip well. At bars where it's a regular bartender, they typically only ring in half my drinks now plus free pour all the drinks because I've tipped so well in the past.

btimbit
04-08-2014, 05:28 PM

Pretty narrow-minded view of it, tipping 'standards' are set by social and culture norms, not by restaurants.

BrknFngrs
04-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Pretty narrow-minded view of it, tipping 'standards' are set by social and culture norms, not by restaurants.

You don't believe that setting a fixed percentage of a servers sales that must be "tipped out" (regardless of actual tips received) by the server is effectively setting a "floor" for tips? I agree that cultural norms dictate tips on a larger scale and over a longer time period but a fixed rate sends a pretty clear message that there is atleast a certain tip percentage required.

In a standard dinner situation; what have the non-serving staff done that is above and beyond their job description that warrants you paying them directly?

Don't get me wrong, I served through school and tips were what I lived off of; I also know that they're earned and not given.

Sentry
04-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Ignoring the last 3 pages of comments, actually reading the posts on that facebook page is some of the funniest shit ever.

Adrenaline101
04-08-2014, 06:32 PM
My girlfriend works at bps and tables (especially higher tabs, alcohol served) that dont tip actually cost her money based on the tip out percentage being based upon the bill cost.

When I go out I tend to tip decently even with so so service, as I've seen both sides of the board. Rude or ignorant service gets a big fat kick in the ass though.

btimbit
04-08-2014, 06:54 PM

You don't believe that setting a fixed percentage of a servers sales that must be "tipped out" (regardless of actual tips received) by the server is effectively setting a "floor" for tips? I agree that cultural norms dictate tips on a larger scale and over a longer time period but a fixed rate sends a pretty clear message that there is atleast a certain tip percentage required.

In a standard dinner situation; what have the non-serving staff done that is above and beyond their job description that warrants you paying them directly?

Don't get me wrong, I served through school and tips were what I lived off of; I also know that they're earned and not given.

Making it mandatory, or a flat rate, is meant to make it fair to the employees. The people making it out to be more than that aren't the people running the restaurants. I believe that a tip out is a way of rewarding people for good work, that's it and that's all.

Those articles that come out once in a while saying stuff like "20% tip minimum should be mandatory" annoy me as well, but those articles are written by food bloggers and journalists, yet the negative reaction is always geared towards restaurants and not the idiot writers. People working these jobs don't think like that.

A790
04-08-2014, 07:31 PM
The view on beyond thankfully is in no way an accurate sample of the general population.

FraserB
04-08-2014, 07:57 PM
I don't thing people are saying not to tip. Its more of an issue with the entitlement that seems to exist in parts of the device industry in regards to what service qualifies for a tip. Toss in these articles that have people making comments that because there is wealth in Calgary, higher tips should be given, and you can see where some people's opinions come from.

I do tip fairly generously for good service, but a tip is never a guaranteed thing, especially with the caliber of some of the servers in town.

Mista Bob
04-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Tipping shouldn't even exist to begin with, except in extraordinary situations.

It's really just a scam by businesses to pass on a portion of their labor costs to the customer in a manner that lets them think they are getting a better price for their food.

But it has become so ingrained in North American society to the point where if it was removed and all prices were increased there would be outrage over this perceived "price increase".
And it of course has bred a culture of entitlement, now people expect extra just for doing their job. Even if they barely can do that, it is still expected.
And you can bet they will be furious if they don't receive that tip that they are seemingly so entitled to no matter how useless they were.

Would work better all around if tipping was just eliminated, prices were increased and employees were paid better wages.

And yes I do tip, generally 10-20% depending on the level of service given.

Khyron
04-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Mista Bob
Tipping shouldn't even exist to begin with, except in extraordinary situations.

It's really just a scam by businesses to pass on a portion of their labor costs to the customer in a manner that lets them think they are getting a better price for their food.

But it has become so ingrained in North American society to the point where if it was removed and all prices were increased there would be outrage over this perceived "price increase".
And it of course has bred a culture of entitlement, now people expect extra just for doing their job. Even if they barely can do that, it is still expected.
And you can bet they will be furious if they don't receive that tip that they are seemingly so entitled to no matter how useless they were.

Would work better all around if tipping was just eliminated, prices were increased and employees were paid better wages.

And yes I do tip, generally 10-20% depending on the level of service given.

Except it wouldn't. The tip is your holdback for shitty service. If they do their jobs and everything is good, you pay the full cost of the meal (incl 15-20% tip). If it's crap you hold back 15-20%. That corrects shitty service people pretty quickly if it happens a lot. Good service people make good money.

Same way I think commissions and bonuses motivate people better than flat rates (I'm getting paid the same no matter how hard I hustle/work). Think slacker slow bartender vs the one just pumping out the drinks.

Assuming we waved a magic wand and tomorrow all prices went up 10-20% (but no tipping ever) would you get better service for the same money? Hell no. You'd get Paris service. Would the cute blonde waitress have 3 buttons undone and a short skirt? Hell no.

btimbit
04-08-2014, 09:16 PM
To eliminate tips, which trust me I'd absolutely LOVE to do, prices would have to go up. The place would get less customers, you start losing money, bam restaurant is gone. Restaurant industry is competitive enough as it is, nobody is willing to be the one to try out a no tipping system.

msommers
04-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Why would you get less customers?

JordanEG6
04-08-2014, 09:31 PM
I didn't read everything in the thread. Most is arguing. But have we already established that the Facebook group is a fake movement?

:nut:

FraserB
04-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Because a lot of people would see it as a straight price increase and not a move getting rid of tipping.

btimbit
04-08-2014, 09:52 PM

What FraserB said, people are generally stupid and would just see it as prices going up and not realize the difference. They'd go elsewhere.

For very busy restaurants, the price increase needed to fully account for what a server would be making currently in tips would be a pretty big one. A $20 meal becomes $25-$30.

Now even if the restaurant's profit stayed the same (It wouldn't but for the sake of argument) the server is worse off under this system, because more of their pay is getting deductions taken off. The customer is worse off, because the price of their meal increased. And of course there's the argument that the level of service would go down because there's not that incentive of getting an extra tip.

For it to work there'd have to be a change in social culture. It won't work if business owners decide to do it themselves, unless the majority of them all do it.

Sugarphreak
04-08-2014, 10:18 PM

rage2
04-08-2014, 10:26 PM
An average dinner bill is $30 for me (not counting high end eateries). The difference between 10% and 20% tip is $3. Are we seriously that cheap?

Lex350
04-09-2014, 07:38 AM
I don't thing people are saying not to tip. Its more of an issue with the entitlement that seems to exist in parts of the device industry in regards to what service qualifies for a tip. Toss in these articles that have people making comments that because there is wealth in Calgary, higher tips should be given, and you can see where some people's opinions come from.

I do tip fairly generously for good service, but a tip is never a guaranteed thing, especially with the caliber of some of the servers in town.

Exactly this

....and I agree with Rage that in my regular bar the Bartenders get tipped quite well...but then again I get great service from them too.

A790
04-09-2014, 08:28 AM
The difference between 10% and 20% tip is $3. Are we seriously that cheap?
Read some of the replies in this thread. Then the replies in the dozens of threads just like it...

riander5
04-09-2014, 08:52 AM
An average dinner bill is $30 for me (not counting high end eateries). The difference between 10% and 20% tip is $3. Are we seriously that cheap?

Crunching the numbers with respect to the people in this thread - overwhelmingly yes

JRSC00LUDE
04-09-2014, 09:22 AM
I usually tip well, last night I tipped nothing.

Went to Keg with a bunch of people. Asked specifically if the prime rib would be rare. She goes to check, comes back and says absolutely. I tell her "as long as you're sure it will be rare, I will have it. If you can't guarantee it, I will just order something else instead right now. If I can't get very rare prime rib then I would rather order a steak.". She assures me it will be rare.

Order comes out, it's medium at best. Not even any juice on the plate.

"Oh, is that not rare enough? It's the rarest they had. Would you like to order something else?"

Fuuuuuuuuuuu

I ordered a bottle of wine. Why the fuck would I want to eat after eveyone else is finished.

AudiPWR
04-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I usually tip well, last night I tipped nothing.

Went to Keg with a bunch of people. Asked specifically if the prime rib would be rare. She goes to check, comes back and says absolutely. I tell her "as long as you're sure it will be rare, I will have it. If you can't guarantee it, I will just order something else instead right now. If I can't get very rare prime rib then I would rather order a steak.". She assures me it will be rare.

Order comes out, it's medium at best. Not even any juice on the plate.

"Oh, is that not rare enough? It's the rarest they had. Would you like to order something else?"

Fuuuuuuuuuuu

I ordered a bottle of wine. Why the fuck would I want to eat after eveyone else is finished.

You sound like a dildo.

JRSC00LUDE
04-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
You sound like a dildo.

You sound like you work at The Keg.

Please. Do go on.

A790
04-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by AudiPWR

You sound like a dildo.
How? Because he wanted a rare prime rib and asked to ensure that this was the case prior to ordering?

Asking to see if he would be able to get what he wanted so that he could make other arrangements if not- is that what makes him a dildo?

ExtraSlow
04-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Not a dildo. He did his best to allow that server to succeed, then they failed.
might have been the kitchen who screwed up, might have been the server, doesn't maktter, that's a big deal, and I wouldn't tip in that situation either.

That being said, I actually find the Keg is pretty poor at getting the meat cooked correctly. I've seen medium come out very rare, and rare come out medium. For a supposed "steahouse", that's pathetic.

max_boost
04-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Lol that's the system here. This isn't Australia where the min wage is $17.

Tips balance out in the long run. Those in the industry will generally tip more. Tipping more usually gets you more. That's the system. $$$ talks lol

Anyway pretty funny link. Not sure if serious. Maybe left a cash tip but wrote that shit anyway. Had that happened once lol someone wrote "Don't eat yellow snow" on the tip line haha

clem24
04-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Here's a new one:

I've been going to Lube Town on McLeod for a while now:

http://www.lubetown.com/

$90 for full synth and usually $30 to repair a chip in the windshield (and I do it because they seem to do a better job than most and because it's just too damn convenient). Their credit/debit machine has a tip option. But I never do.

Yes they've squeegeed my window (but so does the guy at Co-op Full Serve, and s/he is out in -30c weather instead of a heated garage), and they'll lube the hinges (but so do other quick lube places).

Am I a dildo? Who the fuck tips at a lube joint? The other place I go to is Nikkon on 16th and I don't recall them having a tip option.

clem24
04-09-2014, 10:11 AM

I think Vancouver tips are low because of all the Asians there. But can't explain Calgary hahaha.

JRSC00LUDE
04-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Am I a dildo? Who the fuck tips at a lube joint? The other place I go to is Nikkon on 16th and I don't recall them having a tip option.

My buddy runs a Great Canadian Oil Change location.

I stopped in the other day, they changed the air filter and cabin filter along with their usual stuff and he took 30 bucks off the bill so I tipped his boys $15.00.

I don't mind tipping the guys there. He really drives customer service into the guys at his location. Besides, it's cheaper with a tip than going to a garage for an oil change, it's faster, and they give you a paper and a coffee or can of pop or whatever while they're working. :thumbsup:

I learned something this visit though. They put notes on the file about customers. Mine from my previous visit said "Sheldon's friend, tipped good" hahahaha But that illustrates the point, they appreciated it before and will remember going forward.

Sugarphreak
04-09-2014, 10:45 AM

GTS4tw
04-09-2014, 10:54 AM

I stopped in the other day, they changed the air filter and cabin filter along with their usual stuff and he took 30 bucks off the bill so I tipped his boys $15.00.

I don't mind tipping the guys there. He really drives customer service into the guys at his location. Besides, it's cheaper with a tip than going to a garage for an oil change, it's faster, and they give you a paper and a coffee or can of pop or whatever while they're working. :thumbsup:

I learned something this visit though. They put notes on the file about customers. Mine from my previous visit said "Sheldon's friend, tipped good" hahahaha But that illustrates the point, they appreciated it before and will remember going forward.

I like to bring coffee when I drop my car off and Beer when I pick it up. I get very good service from my mechanic now haha

Disoblige
04-09-2014, 10:55 AM
There was a restaurant I went to, I forgot where it was, but they set the tip option to "25%", "35%", and "other" lol.

That turned me off so bad when restaurants give you that sense that they expect that.

Seth1968
04-09-2014, 10:59 AM
I've seen tip jars at liquor and convenience stores.

JordanEG6
04-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Went to a God awful place in Hawaii where the waiters had served certain tables first that got there after we did, which turns out they knew each other. Waited forever for drinks or even for them to take our order (maybe around 40 minutes). When the dishes finally came after an hour and a half, it was lukewarm and they got my order wrong. I didn't even send it back considering we waited almost 2 hours for food.

The worst thing about that place was the fact that they refused to let us leave because we didn't leave a tip. They even threatened to call the police. I forgot what this place was called, but it was the worst experience I have ever had eating a restaurant.

EDIT: It was Cream Pot in Waikiki. :guns:

Sugarphreak
04-09-2014, 10:20 PM

firebane
04-09-2014, 10:31 PM

Yeah except now you set a bar and if you don't tip like that all the time the note will say "Sheldon is a cheap douche bag"

egmilano
04-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
Went to a God awful place in Hawaii where the waiters had served certain tables first that got there after we did, which turns out they knew each other. Waited forever for drinks or even for them to take our order (maybe around 40 minutes). When the dishes finally came after an hour and a half, it was lukewarm and they got my order wrong. I didn't even send it back considering we waited almost 2 hours for food.

The worst thing about that place was the fact that they refused to let us leave because we didn't leave a tip. They even threatened to call the police. I forgot what this place was called, but it was the worst experience I have ever had eating a restaurant.

wow that's unreal lol how did that play out did you tip ?

msommers
04-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

Welcome to the extreme of tipping entitlement, which isn't that surprising in Hawaii, same shit happens in Mexico. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if I returned to a restaurant that I previously didn't tip at here in Calgary, and subsequently have to worry about getting served at all or spit in my food. Or the serving staff that are only chatty when it comes time to pay. Makes me want to tip less than the "expected" 15% for being such a suckass.

Not sure where the "cheapness" stems from though if that's true of Calgarians. Could a performance bonus downtown be considered the equivalent of getting tips? How many legitimately expect a bonus every year? Would be kinda hypocritical of anyone thinking people don't deserve tips then expect an annual bonus because you managed not to get fired!

Curious though, on an average night working at Earls or something, say you work 4-10 so 6 hours. How much do pull in one night? I'm just curious that if the minimum wage is basically $10 so you make $60, do you normally walk out with $100 total? $200+? All I'm getting at is that if you are doubling your wage from what your employer thinks you're worth, doesn't that seem bizarre and illogical.

BrknFngrs
04-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Not sure where the "cheapness" stems from though if that's true of Calgarians. Could a performance bonus downtown be considered the equivalent of getting tips? How many legitimately expect a bonus every year? Would be kinda hypocritical of anyone thinking people don't deserve tips then expect an annual bonus because you managed not to get fired!

Curious though, on an average night working at Earls or something, say you work 4-10 so 6 hours. How much do pull in one night? I'm just curious that if the minimum wage is basically $10 so you make $60, do you normally walk out with $100 total? $200+? All I'm getting at is that if you are doubling your wage from what your employer thinks you're worth, doesn't that seem bizarre and illogical.

Definitely agree with the link to expecting bonuses in an office type role. When each role at a company has a "bonus target", for example, that contradicts what a bonus should be, in my opinion.

I worked at a similar resteraunt to earls and nights were generally in the 120 to 160 range (before hourly pay) and on average I would say the girl servers made more.

JRSC00LUDE
04-09-2014, 11:25 PM

Yeah except now you set a bar and if you don't tip like that all the time the note will say "Sheldon is a cheap douche bag"

Meh, big deal. I only go there when I don't have time to book into the garage. :)

jdmXSI
04-09-2014, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Not a dildo. He did his best to allow that server to succeed, then they failed.
might have been the kitchen who screwed up, might have been the server, doesn't maktter, that's a big deal, and I wouldn't tip in that situation either.

That being said, I actually find the Keg is pretty poor at getting the meat cooked correctly. I've seen medium come out very rare, and rare come out medium. For a supposed "steahouse", that's pathetic.

Agreed with the comments about the Keg not getting an order right. I have an allergy to mushroom (wierd, I know...) but I ordered a NY strip steak which had a mushroom sauce and I explicitly to them about my allergy. When they brought my steak, guess what? It had mushrooms... I sent it back and it came back with fucking mushrooms. I was pissed off and starving by this point and thank god they got it right the 4th time.

As for tipping, I'll give between 10-15% as long as the food and service is ok. But that seems to be the norm, ok service. I have yet to have exceptional service and if I were to experience this oddity, I would be happy to compensate for such service. Calgary servers definitely seem entitled and perhaps it is because Of our stronger economy where there is less competition to keep your job.

Amysicle
04-10-2014, 07:01 AM

nickyh
04-10-2014, 07:41 AM
I was at an all inclusive recently, and this resort has a no tipping policy.
It was amazing, service was excellent and it was refreshing not having to constantly reach into my pocket to tip to get a better level of service.
The guys at the beach bar don't measure so your drinks are always rum with a little slush on the side.

They are so strict there, if the staff are seen accepting a tip they could lose their job. Now i'm not saying people don't tip and the staff refuse when offered as i'm sure it happens, but overall they treat everyone as if they are the most important person.

Type_S1
04-10-2014, 08:15 AM
^ Which resort?

clem24
04-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Yeah 10-15% is normal.. For me, it doesn't matter if waiter is male or female. Good service gets you more, but I won't lie, eye candy never hurts LOL.

There are a few times when I've tipped overboard, the most being a 100% tip at .. Pho Kim of all places hahaha. My wife was out of town so I had to take her grandma out, along with my 2 kids who were 1 and 3 at the time. Grandma doesn't walk very well and slowly. Pretty much immediately when I got to the restaurant, they were holding open the door, got me a seat, etc...

Then the real fun came. Kids spilled drinks everywhere. Grandma needed to use the bathroom, so I helped her in and one of the ladies saw me and told me not to worry - she went INSIDE to help her as she had trouble cleaning up and getting up, etc..

Then when it was time to leave, she told me she'd watch my kids while I took grandma out to the car.

Needless to say my $25 food bill HAPPILY ended up being $50. :thumbsup:

rage2
04-10-2014, 08:53 AM
I was at an all inclusive recently, and this resort has a no tipping policy.
It was amazing, service was excellent and it was refreshing not having to constantly reach into my pocket to tip to get a better level of service.
The guys at the beach bar don't measure so your drinks are always rum with a little slush on the side.

They are so strict there, if the staff are seen accepting a tip they could lose their job. Now i'm not saying people don't tip and the staff refuse when offered as i'm sure it happens, but overall they treat everyone as if they are the most important person.
I was at an all inclusive with a no tipping policy 3 weeks ago. We tipped and got whatever the fuck we wanted. Off menu items in the 24/7 restaurant, nothing beats a steak at 3am hahaha. We got access to all the premium liquor, and when they ran out, they went to the other bars to grab more for us.

Don't get me wrong, the service was pretty good even if we didn't tip. Once we started tipping though, it was a whole other level.

JordanEG6
04-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by egmilano

wow that's unreal lol how did that play out did you tip ?

No we didn't. We basically told them to go ahead and call the cops and we walked out.

Welcome to the extreme of tipping entitlement, which isn't that surprising in Hawaii, same shit happens in Mexico. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if I returned to a restaurant that I previously didn't tip at here in Calgary, and subsequently have to worry about getting served at all or spit in my food. Or the serving staff that are only chatty when it comes time to pay. Makes me want to tip less than the "expected" 15% for being such a suckass.

I'm not sure if the performance bonus would relate, unless that extra 'bonus' comes from clients, rather than the company itself annually rewarding it's employees.

I generally leave a tip at dine-in restaurants and my barber. That's it. And if you're working for minimum wage, your employers are basically saying "We'd pay you less, but it's against the law" :nut:, so that being said, I'd want tips too haha. However, I don't think tipping should be mandated, nor do I think it currently is. So if people don't leave tips because their either cheap or didn't get the service they needed, then I don't think employees should hold it against them.

Feruk
04-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Agreed with the comments about the Keg not getting an order right. I have an allergy to mushroom (wierd, I know...) but I ordered a NY strip steak which had a mushroom sauce and I explicitly to them about my allergy. When they brought my steak, guess what? It had mushrooms... I sent it back and it came back with fucking mushrooms. I was pissed off and starving by this point and thank god they got it right the 4th time.

:rofl: That's awesome. The Keg is such a shit hole.

clem24
04-10-2014, 09:32 AM
I think instead of just not leaving a tip, I'd call the manager over and explain why the server isn't getting a tip. At least that way, they might actually try to improve their service next time instead of just having a pissed off/bitchy server. I do believe in the motto: "if you liked our service, tell your friends; if you didn't, tell us".

ddduke
04-10-2014, 09:40 AM
wrong thread

Lex350
04-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Nice table...I hope you got a tip for that.

GQBalla
04-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by ddduke
After spending far too much money at Restoration Hardware buying things I can make I decided that I would make my own desk.

All materials were purchased locally, the barn wood is 115 years old and is true 3x12 that was used as a joist initially and the frame of the desk was originally a bed frame that has since been modified with some flare and cross braces.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140410_092212_zps5bfbb50b.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/polish_stylez/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140410_092212_zps5bfbb50b.jpg.html)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140410_092245_zps056d7317.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/polish_stylez/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140410_092245_zps056d7317.jpg.html)

derailed!

but nice desk

nickyh
04-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
^ Which resort?

Couples Swept Away, Negil - Jamaica.

Amazing place!!

Seth1968
04-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Any one else find it odd that this whole tip thing is by and large, in reference to a small minority of service industries?