PDA

View Full Version : New build - Secondary Suite?

403ep3
04-08-2014, 12:24 PM
This is more of a curiousity type of question.

Do any companies build a separate secondary suite for a new home build if there is enough room on your lot?

I was thinking about building in Panatella area and having a suite for family/rental income that is separate from the house. Looking at 18-2000 sq ft house w/ a suite.

Anyone know? I will likely go around and ask but was curious if anyone has done this.

S-FLY
04-09-2014, 09:34 AM
It sounds like you want to build a carriage house? I'm not sure if Calgary allows those like Vancouver.

If you're talking about just having a developper build a suite in your basement, they probably would, but I doubt Pantella or any of those new communities are zoned for having secondary suites.

00sir2
04-09-2014, 09:41 AM
There are some areas that allow the suites above garages if that's what your talking about.... I've seen them in Mckenzie town, Auburn Bay etc. I know someone on my old street that actually built one on his own, it didn't sound cheap though.

Tik-Tok
04-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Pantella is R1, so no LEGAL secondary suites allowed (so no, a builder won't do it)

You need to find a R2, or RC2 to do it proper.

Edit: Actually, it looks like there are some R2 area's there.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Documents/lud_section_maps/1p2007/28N.pdf

Toma
04-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Yup. I actually heard a builder advertising this on the radio. If you have the zoning, lot area and width, it is easy to do at the construction stage.

I've converted an older suite to make it legal, and what a pita.

Basement suites are common, but you can now do above garage as well ( meeting other requirements).

You can't have both.... ie ... 2 suites.

I converted my house just before they legalised secondary suites, and had to convert to a duplex. Much much more relaxed on the rules now.

mr2mike
04-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Toma

You can't have both.... ie ... 2 suites.

Damn... this killed my dream.
I guess you'd have to get the multi zone, zoning to do this legally and it would be doubtful it would get approved?

Euro838
04-10-2014, 02:41 PM
If you want a new build area i.e. not a tear down and rebuild, then you can look in the Currie Baracks (west of Mount Royal University). They are doing main house and a detached garage with carriage house. Not sure if the area north of garrison woods is going to be building single family homes but I would imagine if they do, they would allow carriage houses as some of the houses in Garrison Woods have those now.

Otherwise, you need to have an R2 Lot but then you can't do duplex plus detached garage suites. R2 configurations are Duplex or main house plus detached garage suite.

88CRX
04-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Walden in the deep south was offering lots with suiting potential. Not sure if they still have any lots left.

Toma
04-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Damn... this killed my dream.
I guess you'd have to get the multi zone, zoning to do this legally and it would be doubtful it would get approved?

No chance.

You would end up having to build a 4 plex or something