PDA

View Full Version : Biking Around Calgary

chathamf
04-11-2014, 04:11 PM
So I've been thinking of getting back into biking (haven't done it since I was a kid). Just want something for tearing around Calgary on the bike trails and what not. What kind of bike should I be looking for? As a kid I had mountain bikes, but certainly not going to be hitting the mountains or anything so unsure what kind of bike is the best for just cruising around town?

mo_money2supe
04-11-2014, 04:26 PM
If you're only wanting to cruise the paved bike trails, perhaps look into getting a cyclocross bike. If you're looking at going slightly off pavement, any hardtail (front suspension only) cheapo mountain bike will do the trick. Or if speed really isn't of any concern for you, pick up a cruiser bike, just make sure you get gears on it since we do have some rolling terrains on our pathways.

msommers
04-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Just get a hybrid bike. Cyclocross is expensive overkill for cruising around town.

lilmira
04-11-2014, 06:45 PM
I was in the same shoes few years back. Bought a hybrid bike as a mean to exercise. I was just biking around the house and on the bike path along the river at the beginning. Gradually trained myself to go further. At one point I biked all the way from my house in the NW to DT, then down south to fish creek and west to 37st SW and back, almost 100k, mostly on bike path. So a hybrid is more than capable of doing that kinda of things. For speed and distance, road bike is the way to go. ;)

chathamf
04-11-2014, 06:49 PM
So these hybrids look just like a mountain bike? This is prob all I need.

lilmira
04-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Most hybrids will have front suspension so the ride won't be too bumpy. Your seating position will be more upright than a road bike. Gearing is enough to cruise but not as fast as road bike. Tires are sort of a mixture of slick and knobby. ~600-1000 if I'm not mistaken.

Moonracer
04-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Here's a link to all the city and hybrid bikes that Bow sells

City bikes (http://www.bowcycle.com/bike-picker/?gender=Male&brand=adams,belize,cannondale,charge,cervelo,electra,encore,fit,haro,intense,kona,linus,masi,moots,norco,pivot,ritchey,santa-cruz,se-bikes,seven,specialized,surly,tern,toba,united,weehoo,wilier&bicycle-type=City)

speedog
04-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Have had an Electra Straight 8 (link (http://www.bowcycle.com/bicycles/straight-8-3i-black-mens-2/?bicycle-type=City&brand=adams,belize,cannondale,charge,cervelo,electra,encore,fit,haro,intense,kona,linus,masi,moots,norco,pivot,ritchey,santa-cruz,se-bikes,seven,specialized,surly,tern,toba,united,weehoo,wilier&road-choices=&city-choices=Cruiser&mountain-choices=&bmx-choices=&gender=Male&wheel-size=26in)) for 10 years now - it replaced an old touring bike I used to cycle commute on that was getting long in the tooth. The last summer of commuting on my 12 speed Nishiki touring bike I paid close attention to how many gears I was really using and it was pretty much 3 gears all the time. So I replaced it with the Electra and despite some initial concerns over commuting on such a bike, the Electra proved to be a great commuting bicycle.

As for a casual cruise on Calgary paths and streets, couldn't ask for a better bike - great ride although you will not get up to the higher speeds that many other faster bikes can attain. For all around riding or commuting though, it's a great bike and hills aren't a problem either. One does have to relearn how to ride that kind of bike though - what with the coaster brake but one thing is for sure, it's so much more of a quieter ride with that internal shifting hub as compared to derailleurs. I noticed that the 2014 models now have a front disc brake which will considerably increase the braking power on these cruisers.

Moonracer
04-15-2014, 09:00 AM
^^^The Straight 8 is an awesome bike for getting around indeed and you're right all you really need at most for getting around town is 3 speeds. My daily commuter is a single speed even.
I have an Electra 3sp cruiser and a Rat Fink that I'll use to commute on or just cruise around occasionally. They are good fun to ride :thumbsup:

Penguin_Racecar
04-15-2014, 09:34 AM
This is probably going to be of use to you for when you buy a bike - Calgary pathway map:
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Documents/Pathways/path-bike-map.pdf

swak
04-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Get a track bike! :D
... have used a f/g as a commuter for 8-9 years now, summer and winter... shit. Didnt think it was that long now haha...

Just adjust gearing for conditions, and good to go!

chathamf
04-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Anyone want to sell a decent used one? :thumbsup:

Moonracer
04-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by chathamf
Anyone want to sell a decent used one? :thumbsup:

How tall are you?

chathamf
04-16-2014, 09:47 AM
5'9

Moonracer
04-16-2014, 10:33 AM
I'd probly let my 3sp Electra cruiser go I mostly use it to get groceries a few blocks away. I'd like to get a bike trailer for that purpose though.

chathamf
04-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
I'd probly let my 3sp Electra cruiser go I mostly use it to get groceries a few blocks away. I'd like to get a bike trailer for that purpose though.

Thanks for the offer. Think I want to get a hybrid or mountain bike style though. Should have clarified.

Moonracer
04-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Ok

megavolt
04-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
This is probably going to be of use to you for when you buy a bike - Calgary pathway map:
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Documents/Pathways/path-bike-map.pdf

No point in the city maps anymore. Google maps has all of the bike paths on it. Just click on Bicycling on the Getting around section.

Only problem with either of the maps is their accuracy around the rivers now after the floods. Some of the paths and bridges might not be there anymore. :eek:

msommers
04-30-2014, 12:17 AM
Yeah the north path around Edmonton Trail is all under construction, as are some areas by Hillhurst across from the soccer field.

Otherwise it's pretty good actually!

megavolt
04-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Ya wtf is with that bullshit... I hate climbing over the flyover. :banghead:

lilmira
04-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Yeah, the river pathway through downtown is quite messed up at the moment with all the detour and closure. I had to take the Crapmonton trail flyover last weekend, rode by the interesting characters outside the drop in centre. Gonna stay away from that area for a bit.