PDA

View Full Version : Car Proof WTF!?

Cueman
04-12-2014, 09:23 PM
http://qrgarage.ca/sig/carproof.jpg
So I'm planning on picking a truck up tomorrow. It's an 05 Power Wagon. I did a Car Proof, which came up with 2 liens.

The first is attached to the current owner. He was upfront and told me that it might be there, but had just paid the truck off in full this Thursday. I asked for a letter from his bank to confirm, and he supplied that today.

The second lien is a surprise though... especially because it supposedly belongs to a Chevrolet Avalanche with the same VIN. It's impossible that they have the same VIN though... so WTF. The VIN I have is a good VIN confirmed with various sources as belonging to a Dodge Power Wagon... not a Chevrolet Avalanche...

I called ATB FWIW and they wouldn't tell me shit.

Cueman
04-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Double post WTF!

16hypen3sp
04-12-2014, 09:33 PM
:rofl:

What a joke those things are. I gave up on those a long time ago.

Maybe somebody input the wrong number or something... god only knows.

spikerS
04-12-2014, 09:44 PM
or possibly this is a swapped VIN.

I know some theft rings will swap VINs around from one vehicle to another to make a stolen vehicle appear legit.

Could just be clerical error though.

Masked Bandit
04-13-2014, 07:56 AM
I don't think it will move anything further but I can also verify that the VIN listed is 100% for a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. If you get this figured out let us know.

Cueman
04-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I don't think it will move anything further but I can also verify that the VIN listed is 100% for a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. If you get this figured out let us know.

Thanks. I pulled shoot on the deal, not being able to sort it out on the weekend. Hopefully will figure it out on Monday, and purchase the truck without any concerns.

pheoxs
04-13-2014, 10:23 AM
If I'm reading it correctly it means this:

He (or a previous owner) used the vehicle you are buying AS collateral to buy the Chevrolet avalanche. (Or maybe vice versa the Avalanche was used to buy this thing)

I had a similar thing with my FD, the guy had temporarily used his cars as collateral to consolidate his mortgage into a LoC or something and they hadn't fully removed the notice off the vehicles. I contacted him, he contacted his bank and sorted it out, they removed it and sent a letter saying it was cleared up 3 years prior and now removed from the history.

Kloubek
04-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs
If I'm reading it correctly it means this:

He (or a previous owner) used the vehicle you are buying AS collateral to buy the Chevrolet avalanche. (Or maybe vice versa the Avalanche was used to buy this thing)

I agree. That's what it looks like to me too.

googe
04-13-2014, 05:09 PM
How do you even verify those letters? Anyone who wanted to scam you that way could easily fake a letter.

FiveFreshFish
04-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by googe
How do you even verify those letters? Anyone who wanted to scam you that way could easily fake a letter.

With the last two used cars I purchased that had a lien, I went with the seller to his bank and they paid out the loan with my money order first before he got the remainder. They provided a letter on the spot. This would be pain to do if there's more than one lien.

Cueman
04-14-2014, 07:48 PM
The mystery will never be solved as I abandoned the deal and bought another truck today.

I did have someone else mention to me in person that the Dodge was being used as collateral for the Avalanche. The wording doesn't make a lot of sense to me... :dunno: ... but whatever.

The truck I bought is 3 years newer, in better shape and only 5% more expensive. Win.