PDA

View Full Version : WIND Mobile US/Canada Unlimited for $39

Marsh
04-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Hey Guys,

Didn't see anyone else post a thread about this.

http://www.windmobile.ca/phone-plan-39

Basically unlimted talk text and data, as well as unlimted roaming in both the US and Canada...for $39!! seems like a sweet deal.

Just wondering if anyones jumped on this? Or expierences with WIND lately...I thought I had heard they were not doing well?

Cheers

pheoxs
04-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
Hey Guys,

Didn't see anyone else post a thread about this.

http://www.windmobile.ca/phone-plan-39

Basically unlimted talk text and data, as well as unlimted roaming in both the US and Canada...for $39!! seems like a sweet deal.

Just wondering if anyones jumped on this? Or expierences with WIND lately...I thought I had heard they were not doing well?

Cheers

Only unlimited roaming in the US from what I see ... outside wind's service areas you'd still have to pay in Canada if I'm reading it right. 1$/mb outside their service hurts.

Still though, unlimited in the states is insane.

Marsh
04-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Ah good catch. Didn't see the Canada roaming bit. But yeah US roaming alone would be a wicked deal if you go down there often..

n1zm0
04-14-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm on Wind, best change i've ever done (15 years with Rogers).

genesis0403
04-14-2014, 09:48 PM
I just switched to Koodo after Bell seriously screwed me over for a $100. I thought about switching to Wind at the time but the reason why I didn't was because of the roaming payment issues within Canada. The US roaming $15 unlimited package seemed awesome although my phone won't be supported by the partner company in the US. Koodo still has good packages as well though. Roaming data packages are also fair ($15 for 40 mb in the US vs. $50 from Bell). I also liked the fact that once you use up the 40 mb, instead of charging by every mb Koodo renews the $15 for another 40 mb unlike Bell.

Xtrema
04-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by genesis0403
Roaming data packages are also fair ($15 for 40 mb in the US vs. $50 from Bell). I also liked the fact that once you use up the 40 mb, instead of charging by every mb Koodo renews the $15 for another 40 mb unlike Bell.

$15 for 40MB is fair? NA cell plans has us fucked up on rates.

I use T-Mo daily rate in US. 200MB per day is on the 3G and the rest of the day is on 2G for $3 a day.

But with this WIND plan, I guess I don't need that T-Mo sim any more. The down side is, I just have doubt how long WIND can stick around for. But I'll be with them til they are out of the market.

shakalaka
04-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Issue with the Wind plans is if you happen to travel outside your city, for example even a commute from Edmonton to Calgary, on the highway it will lose reception and go on away network. When that happens, it costs you per minute. So if you don't ever leave the city it's a great plan to have as it is usually all Wind network as long as major cities are concerned, but not so much if you're driving around even within Alberta.

For that reason, it doesn't work for me.

Xtrema
04-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Issue with the Wind plans is if you happen to travel outside your city, for example even a commute from Edmonton to Calgary, on the highway it will lose reception and go on away network. When that happens, it costs you per minute. So if you don't ever leave the city it's a great plan to have as it is usually all Wind network as long as major cities are concerned, but not so much if you're driving around even within Alberta.

For that reason, it doesn't work for me.

There is a reason WIND and Mobilicity combined has less than 1M subscribers.

You have to deal with slower network and less coverage. But as mentioned many times before, if you can work within the confine, it's a great deal.

I was talking to a colleague out in Nova Scotia and they only have Rogers and Bell and they get raped worse than we do over here. They loved to have WIND out there.

As I approach year 3 on WIND, I almost saved over $1400 compare to similar plans with the big 3 (add another $300 if you consider tab as well). Big most of all, I love to give the middle finger to the big 3.

Even Rogers has dead zones as well. My sis in Panorama Estates by the lake have no signal on Fido while I have full 5 bars there and Rogers/Fido won't do anything about it.

shakalaka
04-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Oh I totally agree that it is a great plan. Like I said, for people that don't necessarily travel much and stay within major cities, nothing beats it. But for someone like me who is constantly driving to obscure court locations all over Alberta, it wouldn't make much sense as I would most likely end up paying shit loads for all the 'away' usage.

BigMass
04-16-2014, 02:21 PM
lol wind. It would put me on "roaming" if I went too far into a store in a mall. Yeah no thanks. Shitty downside to high frequency bands. If having a cell signal is important to you, it's not worth it no matter how cheap it looks.

01RedDX
04-16-2014, 02:32 PM

eblend
04-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

This is what I'm afraid of, living on the far west edge of the city it's probably not going to work. I often see friends post on facebook read "posted near Balzac, AB" even though they are in Panorama.
I think anyone living on the outskirts should avoid Wind.

http://www.coveragemapper.com/map.php?mccmnc=302490

Shows Wind coverage as recorded by actual cell phones using the coveragemapper program to give you a good idea of coverage in certain areas. I have been on Wind for about 2 years no, and there is no doubt reception can be spotty in Calgary ( was great in Van though when I was there..) but I pay like $30 per month for unlimited everything within the city and having reception always isn't critical, so I manage just fine.

Quizzes
04-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Sweet plan, but I noticed it doesn't include Voicemail+ like the other plans. Voicemail+ add-on is another $8/month.

R-Audi
04-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks for posting..Im switching my plan!

Thats a hell of a deal..

BigMass
04-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by eblend

http://www.coveragemapper.com/map.php?mccmnc=302490

Shows Wind coverage as recorded by actual cell phones using the coveragemapper program to give you a good idea of coverage in certain areas. I have been on Wind for about 2 years no, and there is no doubt reception can be spotty in Calgary ( was great in Van though when I was there..) but I pay like $30 per month for unlimited everything within the city and having reception always isn't critical, so I manage just fine.

coverage map doesn't tell you things like, when you're stuck in an elevator in a high-rise you better hope you don't have wind. If you're a couple levels down in a parkade, you better hope you don't have wind. If you're in a mall and not directly under a skylight, you better hope you don't have wind lol.

ZEDGE
04-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by genesis0403
$15 for 40 mb in the US seems fair

Said no one ever. :nut:

You could use that in 5 min.

;)