PDA

View Full Version : Big props to AMA

Kloubek
04-14-2014, 05:42 PM
So, I bought a membership one year on a promo deal. Figured $60 or whatever it was ended up as good insurance. But I didn't use it, and after the year ran out I didn't renew. The fact is, I don't do stupid shit with my car and, well - AMA is most useful for people who do.

Like my wife.

Today after running an errand with my 1 1/2 year old son, she decided to let him hold her key fob while she strapped him in the car. Sure enough, he pushed the lock button as she walked around to the driver's side so she couldn't get back in. It was only 15 degrees outside, but with the sun out, that's enough to warm up a car pretty quick. She called me in a panic.

I figured a tow truck likely has a minimum charge of $80 or more to get her back in, so I felt it best to call AMA and buy a membership, then use it right away to get into her car. So I called them up, got connected immediately, and explained the situation to the polite membership rep. In a matter of 30 seconds she had me transferred to the roadside assistance line. That rep was equally easy to work with, but what she told me gave me a huge (pleasant) surprise. It is AMA's policy to send out a driver AT NO CHARGE when a baby is locked in a vehicle.

Now, this wouldn't really have made much of an impact on me a few years ago. But being a parent now - who badly needed their help - I was beyond grateful. You'd think at the very least they'd try to talk me into a membership. Nope. (Although it was nicely suggested to consider them if I feel I need a roadside plan in the future).

Not only that, but they had a driver on scene less than 10 minutes later. (It was probably closer to 5 minutes, but had difficulty finding my wife and her car)

So in the end, AMA saved me a ton of panic and probably about $100. I don't feel obligated to purchase a membership, but probably will due to this. Who knows what brilliant decision my wife will make next time. :)

swak
04-14-2014, 05:46 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When i owned a Corrado (notoriously in the garage more than on the road - some of you STi owners probably know this feeling)...

I was always over the km's needed to tow (usually without extra charge), and every time i was stoked on their service.

Big props to them for reaching out.

speedog
04-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Been an AMA member for decades now - have I gotten my value out of that membership over the years, hard to say. But they have come and changed flat tires for my wife while it was raining and she was in business attire and that's invaluable in my books.

Multiple instances of them coming to give us boosts when lights were left on accidentally by whomever. Their battery service - have seen the neighbor buy a battery from them, the AMA battery guy rolls up, pulls out the old one, puts in the new one, makes sure everything is okay and is off on his way and no dirty hands for the neighbor. One of our employees accidentally locked her keys in her car on a cold morning this year when she had to get her little one to a critical appointment at the Children's - calls up AMA, purchases membership and is in her car in under 15 minutes all while other locksmiths she calls say it would be 90-120 minutes.

I've looked at the AMA membership as cheap insurance for the dumb shit we'll all do at one point in time or another plus the unfortunate stuff that can happen - how many wives in business attire really want to change a flat tire when it's raining. For that matter, how many can change a flat tire?

Plus I always forget about the partnership rewards - that has saved us money fir the times when I do remember. 10% at NAPA. 30% Lenscrafters, Pearlevision, Sears Optical. Starbucks - 7% back in CAA dollars towards your membership renewal. 10% in Growers Direct.

TomcoPDR
04-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I don't do stupid shit with my car and, well - AMA is most useful for people who do.

Like my wife.

Originally posted by swak
(notoriously in the garage more than on the road - some of you STi owners probably know this feeling)...

:rofl:

theken
04-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Did you tip the driver? I had done free unlocks for people when I worked at city wide (was definitely not our policy to do this) mostly parents in the same position, and I was usually just around there not actually called in, one guy gave me 40 and that was awesome.

Kloubek
04-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Well, I called for my wife so I wasn't there. She assumed I bought a membership and said had she known this was free she would have profusely thanked the guy instead of being all like "... ok... thanks".

So, no. No tip. Which is one of the reasons why I want to repay the favour and just buy a membership.

theken
04-14-2014, 08:35 PM
ok, i wasn't calling you out, just curious, when I ran tow truck it fuckin sucked lol, ama gets paid hourly so they do a little better.

ExtraSlow
04-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Another cool thing about AMA is that it covers the member, not the vehicle, so if one of your buddies is at your place (or nearby) and needs an unlock/boost etc, you can use your membership for them.

One tip if you tow a trailer, you can't upgrade your membership on the phone and get your trailer towed that day. For that reason, I have the RV membership. I haven't needed my trailer towed, but if I did, it would pay for years of the membership.

Xtrema
04-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Been member of AMA for decades. Was tempted to leave for TD but then they beat TD's prices on all fronts so I stuck around.

All my AMA privilege perks are mostly used by friends instead of myself. I probably got 2 cars and 1 bike towed and got a friend unlocked.

I did ask them to boost my old ass Civic like 20 years ago. Back then they are way more responsive then now and were here in minutes even under -30c weather. Now you are lucky they they show up by end of day on busy days.

shakalaka
04-14-2014, 10:03 PM
One winter I ended up in a ditch when I was being stupid with my 350Z and sliding around in the snow in the boonies with some friends. Thankfully my buddy had AMA and they came by and pulled me out. Maybe I should look into getting it as you never know when it may come in handy. Can you just buy their roadside assistance package or do you have to get your vehicle insured from them too? I wonder if my policy with TD has any provision of roadside assistance.

Xtrema
04-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
One winter I ended up in a ditch when I was being stupid with my 350Z and sliding around in the snow in the boonies with some friends. Thankfully my buddy had AMA and they came by and pulled me out. Maybe I should look into getting it as you never know when it may come in handy. Can you just buy their roadside assistance package or do you have to get your vehicle insured from them too? I wonder if my policy with TD has any provision of roadside assistance.

Membership will get you assistance but you need Plus membership if you need more than 5km Of towing for free.

cancer man
04-15-2014, 02:23 AM
My wife was driving my 1 year old niece and stopped at safeway to get a cake for her sister.She calls me all freaked out because the niece is locked in the car and she can't open the door.Anyhow I said just use the key because the battery died in her FOB.Forgot about the key cylinder.Panic Attack.

Xtrema
04-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
My wife was driving my 1 year old niece and stopped at safeway to get a cake for her sister.She calls me all freaked out because the niece is locked in the car and she can't open the door.Anyhow I said just use the key because the battery died in her FOB.Forgot about the key cylinder.Panic Attack.

Key/Cylinder isn't a options for a lot of cars now.

mikestypes
04-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Key/Cylinder isn't a options for a lot of cars now.

My wife has used the Ford number pad a few times now. I thought it was such a dumb idea (mainly because it is ugly), but now that I have one, I love it.

dubhead
04-15-2014, 11:19 AM
When I was younger and driving beater I used my membership once a year for sure. I don't use it as much anymore but still use it about every other year on my car or friends car that I am with.

It's also handy as the registry at AMA offices are never busy.

You also get access to black book values online from their website.

Not sure if it's free anyway but got unhaggle.com dealer invoice pricing through the AMA website also.

whiteout
04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Membership will get you assistance but you need Plus membership if you need more than 5km Of towing for free.

Plus is only 160km of free towing. True ballers use Premium and get 320km of free towing. Tow your car from Edmonton to Calgary for free.

Ashers
04-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Hey Kloubek, this didn't by chance happen at the Beacon Hill costco around 1PM, did it? I heard a woman a couple of cars down from me saying "Did you lock me out?" a couple of times. I would have helped, but I had to get to my shift at work.

Nitro5
04-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Had a membership for years. Best deal is the 2 movie tickets plus popcorn and drinks for $24

Kloubek
04-19-2014, 11:26 PM
Ha.... no, Ashers. It was in Ranchlands.

btimbit
04-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Almost worth it just so you don't have to go to public registries. Free tows are just a bonus

blairtruck
04-20-2014, 01:04 PM
i think 10% off at napa also with ama card.
ive had one for years.

Christian@IE
04-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by theken
Did you tip the driver? I had done free unlocks for people when I worked at city wide (was definitely not our policy to do this) mostly parents in the same position, and I was usually just around there not actually called in, one guy gave me 40 and that was awesome.
I second the tip suggestion.

These guys are out there getting you out of a jam when you need it the most. I give them a $20 every time unless it's a major tow or snowstorm, in which case I'll bump it up.