PDA

View Full Version : Windows Phone 8.1

sabad66
04-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Anyone try it yet? I'm downloading right now on my 920.

Really looking forward to Cortana and action center. Besides those two, there's a huge list of new features:
http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-features

Here are instructions to install the beta:
•Sign up to be a Windows Phone developer at appstudio.windowsphone.com for free using the Microsoft account associated with your phone.
•Get the Preview for Developers app from the Windows Phone Store (QR code below)
•Run the app and sign in with your Microsoft account.
•Check for updates (Settings > Phone update > Check for updates) and download/install any that are available. You’ll have an update to download and install before Windows Phone 8.1 shows up if you’re downloading the Preview for Developers program for the first time.
http://www.wpcentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/xlarge/public/field/image/2014/02/QR_Preview_for_Developers.jpg

hampstor
04-15-2014, 06:01 AM
As much as I want to do this, I did the developer preview for the last major update, and quickly realized a few things stopped working because it doesn't include driver updates from the manufacturer, and any carrier specific updates as well.

Let me know if these work with the dev preview:
- MMS
- Rogers My Account app

Zhariak
04-15-2014, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
As much as I want to do this, I did the developer preview for the last major update, and quickly realized a few things stopped working because it doesn't include driver updates from the manufacturer, and any carrier specific updates as well.

- MMS
- Rogers My Account app

What model of phone do you have?

I have a 1020 and never had those issues. I think it could be model related.

I'll test MMS today, I can't test "My Account" since I'm on a corporate plan and don't have access to it anyways.

ZEDGE
04-16-2014, 05:18 PM

- MMS
- Rogers My Account app

No problem with messaging that I have seen. The Rogers account app fails to authenticate however. *edit have to turn wifi off and it works. Weird because on Android it works on Wifi or data.

Aside from that 8.1 is great update. Still needs some tweaks here an there but it brings it closer to Android and iOS in may regards. Cortana is more like Siri meets Google now which is a good thing.

tawheed
04-17-2014, 08:16 AM
I want to buy a windows phone just to play with this, what models will it run on - also is it easy to go back to "stock"? Very little experience with WP for me, feel way more comfortable messing with android stuff.

ZEDGE
04-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by tawheed
I want to buy a windows phone just to play with this, what models will it run on - also is it easy to go back to "stock"? Very little experience with WP for me, feel way more comfortable messing with android stuff.

Lumia 520 is the cheapest way to get into WP. It will receive the 8.1 update. $100 or less outright at most places.

sabad66
04-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by tawheed
It will run on any Win 8 phone. Personally I've only used a 920... It's a little bulky but overall a pretty good phone. I imagine you would be able to find a used one for 200 or less.

1020 is the flagship right now, or if you're into phablets the 1520 is really nice but probably expensive/impossible to find used rigth now.

hampstor
04-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Just did the update - MMS still works :D

I don't seem to have Cortana tho... not sure how to start her? (Lumia 920)

sabad66
04-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Hold the search button down to activate cortana

ZEDGE
04-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Just did the update - MMS still works :D

I don't seem to have Cortana tho... not sure how to start her? (Lumia 920)

Not available outside of the US. If you havent already you need to change your location and language to US.

hampstor
04-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by ZEDGE

Not available outside of the US. If you havent already you need to change your location and language to US.

Did that and it worked thanks!

Felt a bit nerdy. When asked what name Cortana should call me by, I entered "Chief" :love:

On another note, did they removed native Facebook integration? It seems everything is now pulled thru the Facebook app instead of done natively (it's not in the accounts page anymore).

Zhariak
04-19-2014, 07:33 AM

Did that and it worked thanks!

Felt a bit nerdy. When asked what name Cortana should call me by, I entered "Chief" :love:

On another note, did they removed native Facebook integration? It seems everything is now pulled thru the Facebook app instead of done natively (it's not in the accounts page anymore).

I was going to say you had to take her out on a couple dates beforehand... ;)

As for Facebook integration. It's a bit different. A lot of people (including me) thought they got rid of it.... But what you actually have to do is install the facebook app. Then sign in. One of the first messages you'll see after signing in is "Connect to my phone". This will enable all the facebook integration.

KrisYYC
04-23-2014, 12:25 AM
Is there going to be an official update via the phone software update app?

I'm using a Rogers 1020 and it's not showing any update available.

Zhariak
04-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by KrisYYC
Is there going to be an official update via the phone software update app?

I'm using a Rogers 1020 and it's not showing any update available.

Right now, all us guys running 8.1 got it because we are subscribed to the "Preview for Developers". It's a free program you can sign up for that allows you to install updates before carriers approve them for rollout via the Software Update tool.

It'll be some time before Rogers approves the updates, could be weeks, or months.

If you want to enable the "Preview for Developers", download and install this: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ca/store/app/preview-for-developers/178ac8a1-6519-4a0b-960c-038393741e96

Once you install, then run the app and check the checkbox, your phone will receive the updates from Microsoft.

Keep in mind, the firmware won't include any manufacturer firmware updates as part of this program.

When the manufactor releases firmware, or when the public Windows Phone 8.1 gets released, your phone WILL download it without a problem. So this will in no way cause any issues with future updates, or any other updates.

flipstah
04-23-2014, 06:53 AM
Is it stable to go for it? My 920 could use a facelift ;)

Zhariak
04-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

On my corporate plan, I have 3 x 1020s and 1 x 920.

On all phones it's been extremely stable. And the features are just effin rad.

But I did notice one bug that affected 1 1020 and the 920. When I updated, there was two apps that didn't auto update. I also noticed that the "backup to the cloud" feature wasn't working. I actually noticed that a lot of the synchronization features didn't work after the update.

All I did was perform a factory reset to a clean 8.1 install. Configured the phone and everything is working flawlessly.

With this in mind, I'd say update, then do a factory reset and go from there. After doing this, there's no issues with the synchronization, etc...

Nate
04-23-2014, 08:55 AM

I have a 920 and did this update. It is working really well. I like it, it has been a big improvement and getting the WP closer to where I would like to see it.

flipstah
04-23-2014, 09:06 AM
How do I get my purchased music back if I factory reset?

Nate
04-23-2014, 09:20 AM
I did not have to do a factory reset. All my data was kept while doing this update. I have not purchased music directly on to my phone. Can you not move it to the computer and then transfer back?

Zhariak
04-23-2014, 10:59 AM
How do I get my purchased music back if I factory reset?

Open up Xbox music. It'll sign in and set everything up. It'll either re-download all the music, or it'll atleast show you the songs you've purchased. You can just tap on them to re-download.

Originally posted by Nate
I did not have to do a factory reset. All my data was kept while doing this update. I have not purchased music directly on to my phone. Can you not move it to the computer and then transfer back?

Keep in mind, on my two problem devices everything looked fine (and it kept all my data). The big problem was though that it couldn't talk to my microsoft account... Which meant I had issues with LinkedIn, Twitter, apps, and backing up to OneDrive (it says it was, but it wasn't backing up anything).

The problem is virtually transparent until you use the device for a while. Keep an eye out for that, because if you think you're texts are being backed up (and it says it is), there's a chance it's not. I lost 2 days of texts until I noticed the problem. After doing a factory reset everything worked, but I lost the 2 days of texts, plus it wasn't saving any of my new theme/app information which is a new feature of Windows Phone 8.1

KrisYYC
04-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

Right now, all us guys running 8.1 got it because we are subscribed to the "Preview for Developers". It's a free program you can sign up for that allows you to install updates before carriers approve them for rollout via the Software Update tool.

It'll be some time before Rogers approves the updates, could be weeks, or months.

If you want to enable the "Preview for Developers", download and install this: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ca/store/app/preview-for-developers/178ac8a1-6519-4a0b-960c-038393741e96

Once you install, then run the app and check the checkbox, your phone will receive the updates from Microsoft.

Keep in mind, the firmware won't include any manufacturer firmware updates as part of this program.

When the manufactor releases firmware, or when the public Windows Phone 8.1 gets released, your phone WILL download it without a problem. So this will in no way cause any issues with future updates, or any other updates.

Ahhh I see. Thanks. So if I updated I'd lose the Nokia specific apps I'm assuming? I don't want to lose Nokia Camera.

Zhariak
04-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by KrisYYC

Ahhh I see. Thanks. So if I updated I'd lose the Nokia specific apps I'm assuming? I don't want to lose Nokia Camera.

Oh no, you wouldn't...

When you do a factory reset, it will be missing initially. Wait for all the normal apps to install, configure the phone, etc... Let it install/download bla bla bla.

Once you've configured it, and it's working. Go to the app store, settings, check for app updates. It can take anywhere from 5-20 minutes after a factory reset, but if you keep checking back, BAM, about 20 Nokia applications will show up (Camera, extras and info, Network +, etc...) and they will download and install. And you'll be good to go!

If you're in a hurry and they don't show up right away, you can go to the App store, settings, "My Apps", and they will be in the list, and you can download/install them that way. If you miss any, they will install in the background later.

I can say that with the factory reset, you won't lose any features, nokia apps, etc...

KrisYYC
04-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

Oh no, you wouldn't...

When you do a factory reset, it will be missing initially. Wait for all the normal apps to install, configure the phone, etc... Let it install/download bla bla bla.

Once you've configured it, and it's working. Go to the app store, settings, check for app updates. It can take anywhere from 5-20 minutes after a factory reset, but if you keep checking back, BAM, about 20 Nokia applications will show up (Camera, extras and info, Network +, etc...) and they will download and install. And you'll be good to go!

If you're in a hurry and they don't show up right away, you can go to the App store, settings, "My Apps", and they will be in the list, and you can download/install them that way. If you miss any, they will install in the background later.

I can say that with the factory reset, you won't lose any features, nokia apps, etc...

Sweet! Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Zhariak
04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
No worries man! Any other questions, just ask!

tawheed
04-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Bought three android phones in the last three weeks, sold them all.. Still contemplating picking up a Windows phone to see if 8.1 is a big improvement.. Windows apps getting any better? Last I checked the kijiji app was basically a link to the website..

ipeefreely
07-20-2014, 08:55 PM
BUMP!

Anyone know when 8.1 will be available on Telus?

Lumia Cyan update (http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/)

ipeefreely
08-09-2014, 05:42 PM
It's available on Telus/Rodgers now for 1020/625... just started the update! :thumbsup:

flipstah
08-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Released update on Rogers and it's awesome! :love:

I'm going to fiddle around with it during lunch but HTML5 is pretty nice improvement.

Stephen81
08-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Released update on Rogers and it's awesome! :love:

I'm going to fiddle around with it during lunch but HTML5 is pretty nice improvement.

Just came looking for this thread! Was dismissing the update reminder this past week because it takes forever and wasn't expecting anything amazing but I'm thoroughly impressed :thumbsup:

Still exploring all the changes but the Cortana feature seems to work great and there are a ton of subtle but really thoughtful things. Have had this Lumia 920 for almost two years and it's as snappy as day one and being a Nokia doesn't have a scratch. Still going to keep an eye on Apple's iPhone announcement but I just feel like I got a brand new phone.

ipeefreely
09-05-2014, 09:30 AM
The new Lumia 730 & 830 phones: Microsoft unveils new Lumia smartphones (http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/microsoft-unveils-new-lumia-smartphones-1.2755376)

shakalaka might be interested in the 730...

The 4.7-inch 730 will cost 199 euros ($284) before tax. It will have 3G connectivity and slots for two SIM cards,
an important feature in emerging markets where wireless plans vary widely such that users switch services often
to get the best deals.