PDA

View Full Version : Looking for file synchronizing service like Dropbox

Mar
04-15-2014, 12:16 AM
I've been using Ubuntu One for a while now and it's been amazing, when I save a file on one of my computers, it automatically saves it to my cloud account and it is then downloaded and updated on all of my other computers. This means I can be working on a project on my desktop, then grab my laptop and go out the door without fear of overwriting my changes. Or I can take a photo on my phone and it's automatically downloaded to all my computers.

Unfortunately Ubuntu One is shutting down in June so I'm looking for something else. My requirements are:
- Android support with user selectable download folders per client
- ability to synchronize any computer on my machine (Dropbox fails here)
- music streaming service would be a plus but not required (Ubuntu One has this)
- Ubuntu support

EK69
04-15-2014, 12:28 AM
check out the following and see if they work for u

- google drive
- microsoft one drive (skydrive)

syscal
04-20-2014, 10:50 PM
I assume one of the requirements is also "free"?

sneek
04-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Copy.com - Linux Support
Decent Android App.

PogoPlug would also probably meet your needs.

Mar
04-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by syscal
I assume one of the requirements is also "free"?

Negative, I use this for my business so I don't care what it costs, I was paying $8 a month for Ubuntu One. I just need to be able to synchronize any folder I choose on my computer.

Does Rsync save incrementally whenever a file is updated or is it on a timer? I could set up a hard drive at my parents' house and do all this manually......maybe.

I'll check out the other options people here posted, thanks. Keep them coming.

UndrgroundRider
04-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Google Drive + Insync for Linux

Google Play & All Access for music

Mar
04-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
Google Drive + Insync for Linux

Google Play & All Access for music

You came here to.......help me? Are you sure you're feeling okay?

UndrgroundRider
04-25-2014, 12:58 AM
It was a moment of great internal struggle. I like Google Drive so much that it triumphed over my disdain for your general incompetence... this one time.

sabad66
04-25-2014, 02:01 AM
One drive is awesome, but not sure if they have a Linux version.

Dumbass17
04-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Mar, your inbox is full so i'll post here.

have you tried drop box with drop sync?
it lets your select which folders to sync to whichever folders on your computer.
for instance i can sync my phone photos with a folder on my computer called Phone Pics. Or I can sync my received whatsapp images to a folder called Whatsapp Pics etc.
You can also specify for each folder what type of syncing you want. Like if you want the computer folders to mirror the phone folders. or if you want to be able to delte the files from your phone but they remain on your computer and visa versa etc etc.
i like it alot!

Disoblige
04-25-2014, 09:40 AM
It was a moment of great internal struggle. I like Google Drive so much that it triumphed over my disdain for your general incompetence... this one time.
:rofl:

Mar
04-25-2014, 10:51 AM

So you uh.... wanna hang out?

v2kai
04-25-2014, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Mar

So you uh.... wanna hang out? :rofl:

eblend
04-25-2014, 11:27 AM
One drive is pretty good but not sure if it fully meets your needs. In windows 8 one drive syncs a bunch of stuff other then files as well, like your desktop background, favourites, settings ect, so you can login to your windows laptop with a Live account and it's all there.

They do have a onedrive app for android as well, and it can save your photos there as you take them as well.

OneDrive isn't exactly a sync service though, it's a cloud based storage where you access your files via explorer, but they are stored online, so you only have one copy of a file, and you need internet access to access the files.

Works with Windows 7 as well if you still using that, but needs a download vs being built in like in 8.

Mar
04-27-2014, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by sneek
Copy.com - Linux Support
Decent Android App.

PogoPlug would also probably meet your needs.
I gave Copy a full test run, it's good but is single folder only. I need something multi-folder.

I also tried Pogoplug but it also appears to be single folder. Though I didn't try it as in-depth as Copy.

toor
05-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Check out the features of Owncloud (https://owncloud.org/six/) which you can host yourself or buy hosted solutions. It's open source and very flexible, including LDAP.

Backblaze (http://www.backblaze.com) is pretty huge too, has inexpensive personal and business packages but not sure it'll meet all your needs. The backed up "drives" need to stay "connected", or the data is deleted from their service after 30 days.

Mar
05-24-2014, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by toor
Check out the features of Owncloud (https://owncloud.org/six/) which you can host yourself or buy hosted solutions. It's open source and very flexible, including LDAP.

Backblaze (http://www.backblaze.com) is pretty huge too, has inexpensive personal and business packages but not sure it'll meet all your needs. The backed up "drives" need to stay "connected", or the data is deleted from their service after 30 days.
I did some more research on this in the past week and read a lot about OwnCloud but I don't want to have the backup machine in the same house in case my house burns down. The purpose of having everything off site is for such a disaster.

I actually found much more information about it this time around since it's only another week until Ubuntu One shuts down for good, mainly this page on the Ubuntu website:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/442430/what-are-the-alternatives-to-ubuntu-one

They link to a lot of good choices there except the one I ended up going with which was CloudMe. It has everything I'm looking for except I've spent the last 2 days trying to get it to synchronize 45,000 files for work and it gets stuck after 1. All the smaller test batches worked great but this huge one is running my i7 processor at 84 degrees and somewhere through the night just ends up crashing and burning. If it isn't completely synchronized by tomorrow morning I'm going to look into TeamDrive and some of the other alternatives posted there.

Mar
04-11-2015, 05:31 PM
I've been using TeamDrive for about 6 months and it seemed to work but I had multiple issues with it.
a) It was $35 per month for the storage I needed
b) It looked like it synchronized properly but occasionally it would delete files from one of my host machines so I couldn't trust it with production files.
c) Every time it ran on my laptop it caused a huge spike in CPU resources and the fans kicked in at full speed.
d) It took forever to synchronize files
e) Photos taken on my phone had to be uploaded manually, it didn't happen automatically

I recently set up an AWS at Amazon and installed OwnCloud, I'm very happy with this for multiple reasons:
a) it's free
b) the synchronization is very reliable and hasn't overwritten anything improperly so far
c) running the application on my laptop didn't hog CPU resources
d) file synchronization is fast
e) Android photo uploads is automatic although the application is 99 cents

I didn't want to run OwnCloud before because I didn't have server space outside my home but with setting up an Amazon server, it gives me that luxury and is way better than TeamDrive.

For anyone wondering what AWS is, Amazon offers server space where you can do whatever you want with it. You have root access, you can install what you want, reboot the server, it's totally yours. I installed OwnCloud and it has been running great. They also offer you a 5 gibibyte space for 1 year for free. The rest is based on a per-hour of uptime charge. Full uptime would be 750 hours per month and can generally work out to about $10 per month for a regular space. Amazon also offers EC2 space (static storage), database space, all kinds of services a technology company would need a server rack for. I'm actually using this in lieu of of a local server room for one company I'm contracting for. It's better for small businesses.

msommers
04-14-2015, 11:00 PM
Have been using Crash Plan Pro for about a month now. I love it.

FreakinPrince
04-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Look into syncme

I have on my s4 and love it

clem24
04-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by eblend
One drive is pretty good but not sure if it fully meets your needs. In windows 8 one drive syncs a bunch of stuff other then files as well, like your desktop background, favourites, settings ect, so you can login to your windows laptop with a Live account and it's all there.

They do have a onedrive app for android as well, and it can save your photos there as you take them as well.

OneDrive isn't exactly a sync service though, it's a cloud based storage where you access your files via explorer, but they are stored online, so you only have one copy of a file, and you need internet access to access the files.

Works with Windows 7 as well if you still using that, but needs a download vs being built in like in 8.

I am using Win 7 and OneDrive stores a copy of everything locally.