PDA

View Full Version : Buy my 1st condo, short term living? HELP

Dumbass17
04-15-2014, 08:56 AM
So,
Background info:
29years old, single, decent income/job
never owned a home, always rented as I don't know where I want to 'settle'. I go through waves of liking/hating Calgary/Canada.

Anyways, I am getting to the point where I am sick of paying someone else's mortgage and I think maybe it's time to get my butt in gear and look at buying a condo. (I can't afford a house)

I need advice...
Do you think it's..unwise.. to buy a place if I don't plan on living here long term? My ultimate goal is to return to Australia to live permanently. I am currently working on my application but it is not an easy/quick process to complete and there is no guarantee that they will even invite me to apply. That means I will be living here for at least another 1-2years minimum.
I do not want to be house poor or restrict my abiliity to take vacations and that sort of stuff. I would most likely be looking at a 2bedroom condo and rent a room to help with bills. Probably looking at around 350k for that absolute max.

Thoughts?

BigMass
04-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
So,
Background info:
29years old, single, decent income/job
never owned a home, always rented as I don't know where I want to 'settle'. I go through waves of liking/hating Calgary/Canada.

Anyways, I am getting to the point where I am sick of paying someone else's mortgage and I think maybe it's time to get my butt in gear and look at buying a condo. (I can't afford a house)

I need advice...
Do you think it's..unwise.. to buy a place if I don't plan on living here long term? My ultimate goal is to return to Australia to live permanently. I am currently working on my application but it is not an easy/quick process to complete and there is no guarantee that they will even invite me to apply. That means I will be living here for at least another 1-2years minimum.
I do not want to be house poor or restrict my abiliity to take vacations and that sort of stuff. I would most likely be looking at a 2bedroom condo and rent a room to help with bills. Probably looking at around 350k for that absolute max.

Thoughts?

no way I'd buy a place if I was only planning on being here another 2 years. Almost all the money that goes into payments will be going towards interest at that point so it's not like you'll be saving anything over renting. You will be taking risk as there is never any guarantee that the market will go up short term. The market could come down and you will lose money. If the market just stays the same you will lose in transaction costs. Plus you want to rent a room as well? Seems like a total hassle that won't provide any benefit. If you're worried about investing, buy some stocks, funds, etfs and stuff. They're liquid and you don't have to worry about moving. Just rent. People are just going so crazy over real estate now it's seriously just insanity. No rational rhyme or reason. I mean it's one thing if you plan on living here and calling Calgary home for a long time, but people just being here a few years and feel the need to buy have really not run the numbers and are just crossing their fingers that prices continue to go up at insane levels. Even still, the stock market short term has been a way better investment than housing and there is no worry about special assessments in the stock market.

Dumbass17
04-15-2014, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by BigMass

no way I'd buy a place if I was only planning on being here another 2 years. Almost all the money that goes into payments will be going towards interest at that point so it's not like you'll be saving anything over renting. You will be taking risk as there is never any guarantee that the market will go up short term. The market could come down and you will lose money. If the market just stays the same you will lose in transaction costs. Plus you want to rent a room as well? Seems like a total hassle that won't provide any benefit. If you're worried about investing, buy some stocks, funds, etfs and stuff. They're liquid and you don't have to worry about moving. Just rent. People are just going so crazy over real estate now it's seriously just insanity. No rational rhyme or reason. I mean it's one thing if you plan on living here and calling Calgary home for a long time, but people just being here a few years and feel the need to buy have really not run the numbers and are just crossing their fingers that prices continue to go up at insane levels. Even still, the stock market short term has been a way better investment than housing and there is no worry about special assessments in the stock market.

An honest, respectable opinion. Appreciate it sir.

R!zz0
04-15-2014, 09:13 AM
I need advice...
Do you think it's..unwise.. to buy a place if I don't plan on living here long term? My ultimate goal is to return to Australia to live permanently. That means I will be living here for at least another 1-2years minimum.

Thoughts?

My advice to you is don't buy a place if you're only gonna be here for short term. Unless you're planning on making Calgary your permanent resident in the future.

Where in Calgary are you thinking of buying?

pheoxs
04-15-2014, 09:17 AM
My question is are you actually going to move back home? I know lots of people that say similar things, next year I'm moving back home or to X place, and they keep saying it year after year and before you know it they've been here 5 years and they're in the same boat, wondering if they should buy but only going to be here another year or so.

Dumbass17
04-15-2014, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0
My advice to you is don't buy a place if you're only gonna be here for short term. Unless you're planning on making Calgary your permanent resident in the future.

Where in Calgary are you thinking of buying?
Yeah, I don't know how 'short term' it will be. With regards to Australia, I simply 'express' my interest in getting permanent residency there, then they decide whether or not they want me to fully apply. They only invite so many people per year/per industry to apply. So it's a gamble. But I get super-ultra-mega-hugely depressed and bored here in winter and it's an 8month struggle to not quit life and bail.
As for location, I'm not too picky on where to be honest. Just not the NE :P
I don't want to be stupid far north or south, I've lived in Cranston and McKenzie Towne and that's just too far for me to do again. I work in Riverbend so closer to work would be great. I don't need to be downtown.

Originally posted by pheoxs
My question is are you actually going to move back home? I know lots of people that say similar things, next year I'm moving back home or to X place, and they keep saying it year after year and before you know it they've been here 5 years and they're in the same boat, wondering if they should buy but only going to be here another year or so.
Sorry, I should've said. I am Canadian. I lived in Australia for 3 years, made a huge mistake in moving back to Canada with/for an ex-gf and now I'm here and wanting to leave. As stated previously, I really do struggle with winter here. I know everyone does but I think I've got to be one of the worse ones. I was born in the wrong country

S-FLY
04-15-2014, 10:16 AM
If I were you, I would just keep renting. Then when you want to move, there's no hassle. And if you don't plan on staying there, why burn up your chance to use the first time home buyers RRSP plan for nothing.

pheoxs
04-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by S-FLY
If I were you, I would just keep renting. Then when you want to move, there's no hassle. And if you don't plan on staying there, why burn up your chance to use the first time home buyers RRSP plan for nothing.

Now that I think about that, how would that work?

Withdraw from home buyer RRSP plan then leave the country...? How would it work for taxes and re-contributing and such?

sputnik
04-15-2014, 11:33 AM
The costs of realtor fees when it comes time to sell your place should be reason enough NOT to buy a place if you are looking to leave in two years.

Disoblige
04-15-2014, 11:39 AM

Withdraw from home buyer RRSP plan then leave the country...? How would it work for taxes and re-contributing and such?
Just take out 25k, and never live in Canada again after you do your taxes :rofl:

flipstah
04-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Just take out 25k, and never live in Canada again after you do your taxes :rofl:

Canada's Most Wanted lol. Just go to a place with no extradition.

HiTempguy1
04-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
The costs of realtor fees when it comes time to sell your place should be reason enough NOT to buy a place if you are looking to leave in two years.

If you deal with a realtor :dunno:

I'd buy a place. Market is crazy right now. Very easy to buy into a place (condo) and flip it for an additional $20k in a year or two. :dunno: Even if all of your mortgage goes towards "interest", people forget that you'd be losing that money in the form of rent. And on top of that, as you've stated, you'd have a roommate who would probably end up covering well over half of the mortgage.

Half the guys posting here also invest in the stock market, which is more volatile then the Alberta housing market has been even during the recession.

Kijho
04-15-2014, 12:09 PM
I'd move to austrlia and live in a kangaroo's pouch if I were you.

R!zz0
04-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Kijho
I'd move to austrlia and live in a kangaroo's pouch if I were you.

Don't be a dumbass :rofl:

JudasJimmy
04-15-2014, 01:48 PM
If you only plan to live here for 1- 2 years and you buy a place now, you will lose a ton of money. probable 2x what you would have paid in rent. Not to mention all the furniture, house hold item and repairs that you don't have to pay while renting. Buying a place is a 5yr+ investment just to break even.

shakalaka
04-15-2014, 02:17 PM
^I don't agree with it. It all depends on the market and circumstances. For example, I bought my condo in September 2012 for $400K and if I were to flip it today, it's at least worth $450K. Mainly because of the development that is happening around my condo but many people have made tons of money flipping real estate in a period of months, especially during the boom.

If I were you, I'd study the market and look at some trends and see where the property values are heading a couple years down the line in the area you're interested in. Make the decision based on it. At the very least, you should at least end up breaking even unless we have another recession.

leftwing
04-15-2014, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by JudasJimmy
If you only plan to live here for 1- 2 years and you buy a place now, you will lose a ton of money. probable 2x what you would have paid in rent. Not to mention all the furniture, house hold item and repairs that you don't have to pay while renting. Buying a place is a 5yr+ investment just to break even.

This is so far from the truth its ridiculous.

I bought a condo in Nov 2013, 5 months ago, and exact same units in my building are now selling for 8,000-12,000 more than I paid....

I could also rent my condo out for $300-$500 more than my monthly expenses (mortgage, condo fee, prop taxes) if I decide to move.

Id say buying is a great option.

BigMass
04-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by leftwing

I bought a condo in Nov 2013, 5 months ago, and exact same units in my building are now selling for 8,000-12,000 more than I paid....

I could also rent my condo out for $300-$500 more than my monthly expenses (mortgage, condo fee, prop taxes) if I decide to move.

And people that bought stocks for the first time in 2009 think that stock can only go up %40 every single year. Cause stuff will never go down again right? It's like people that say gambling is awesome cause the first time they stuck a quarter in a slot machine they hit the $1000 jackpot. That means everyone should gamble cause it's a great return

you&me
04-15-2014, 04:20 PM

If you were to sell now, what would you net after considering taxes, condo and realtor fees?

A790
04-15-2014, 06:19 PM

Don't assume that a bubble isn't a bubble.

If it looks like a bubble, acts like a bubble, it's a bubble.

HiTempguy1
04-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by A790

Because the recession that basically destructed the whole world's economy totally took out our real estate which was priced even worse backed then... right?

There will always be the naysayers and the doomsday people. And recognizing that there is a risk to the real estate market is important, it is no different than the stock market. But even during the worst financial crisis since the depression, the Alberta housing market has not only rebounded, but it didn't drop that much (on average) even during the recession.

Global economy tanks, housing prices drop ~10%. Stocks can drop 90%. :dunno:

BigMass
04-15-2014, 07:06 PM

one sure way I can tell it's a bubble is showing people comps from as recently as 3 months ago and have them say "well that was a different market then. Now it's way hotter". Like every day you add another 10k to the asking price. It's gonna just keep getting crazy until a huge collapse. Crashes never come until everyone hits the full retard euphoria stage and we're getting close. I don't know almost anybody that thinks Calgary isn't an awesome buy right now and real estate will just keep going up and up on a weekly basis. When everyone thinks one way, watch out.

msommers
04-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
^I don't agree with it. It all depends on the market and circumstances. For example, I bought my condo in September 2012 for $400K and if I were to flip it today, it's at least worth $450K. Mainly because of the development that is happening around my condo but many people have made tons of money flipping real estate in a period of months, especially during the boom.

If I were you, I'd study the market and look at some trends and see where the property values are heading a couple years down the line in the area you're interested in. Make the decision based on it. At the very least, you should at least end up breaking even unless we have another recession.

To gain ~50K value in 1.5 years is abnormal. I wouldn't bank on those kind of gains.

For up to and including 2 years of residency here, find a roommate and live cheap until you have a real crossroads to deal with. IMO it's not worth the cost of full ownership for that period of time.

Good luck!

shakalaka
04-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Oh I definitely agree that it is quite exceptional in my case. But it wasn't necessarily a fluke to be honest. There was a risk involved as the condo I purchased was quite expensive to begin with. But it is a block away from where they are building the new Arena in Edmonton and at the time when I bought it, the Arena wasn't even a 100% go ahead. I liked the condo even though I knew it was overpriced from Edmonton downtown at the time. There was risk involved as well since they were going back and forth on the Arena project, but I decided to take it.

When I purchased it, I was only meant to be staying in Edmonton short term. A year or two was the idea. I still don't know if I am going to be here for too long, it all depends. I could be here for forever or gone in a few years depending on job situations in Calgary and so on. All I know is, the longer I stay in this condo the value is only gonna go up. It shot up right after the Arena was confirmed and once it's built, I am assuming it'll be even higher.

But of course, like you said it is abnormal in this case but it wasn't all a fluke. A carefully researched purchase with some sort of risk can definitely return some gains. That is the sort of suggestion I was trying to give the OP.

scboss
04-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by msommers

To gain ~50K value in 1.5 years is abnormal. I wouldn't bank on those kind of gains.

I think you can easily make that in 3-4 years with the right property.

IMO i would never buy a property if I had other ideas. If the market did ever crash or you had to take a loss you would be stuck in a place you didnt want to be.

JudasJimmy
04-16-2014, 02:12 AM

I was just going by personal experience, not theoretical property values excluding the cost of buying/selling, mortgage interest and penalties, in a 2 yr period vs rent. money in the bank is what the op was looking for..

Neil4Speed
04-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by BigMass

one sure way I can tell it's a bubble is showing people comps from as recently as 3 months ago and have them say "well that was a different market then. Now it's way hotter". Like every day you add another 10k to the asking price. It's gonna just keep getting crazy until a huge collapse. Crashes never come until everyone hits the full retard euphoria stage and we're getting close. I don't know almost anybody that thinks Calgary isn't an awesome buy right now and real estate will just keep going up and up on a weekly basis. When everyone thinks one way, watch out.

To be fair, it is spring, when most people like to move and buy, after most receive their annual bonus'.

Not saying that it dicatates all of the increase, but definitely accounts for some.

Dumbass17
04-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Yeah this isn't helping hahaha.

But I guess I am leaning towards not buying.
Maybe I should just keep saving / renting and see how life goes, and who knows, maybe there will be a downswing and I can snag up something at that time...:dunno:

S-FLY
04-16-2014, 08:42 AM

I'm guessing that before he moves, he would have to sell the condo, then use the proceeds to pay back his RRSP.

A790
04-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Because the recession that basically destructed the whole world's economy totally took out our real estate which was priced even worse backed then... right?

There will always be the naysayers and the doomsday people. And recognizing that there is a risk to the real estate market is important, it is no different than the stock market. But even during the worst financial crisis since the depression, the Alberta housing market has not only rebounded, but it didn't drop that much (on average) even during the recession.

Global economy tanks, housing prices drop ~10%. Stocks can drop 90%. :dunno:
I'm not being a naysayer. I'm calling out leftwing for giving poor financial advice based on his/her experience of gaining 10k in 5 months. I think we can all recognize that type of growth for what it is, and it's a pretty poor basis to give any kind of financial advice on.

reijo
04-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Yeah this isn't helping hahaha.

But I guess I am leaning towards not buying.
Maybe I should just keep saving / renting and see how life goes, and who knows, maybe there will be a downswing and I can snag up something at that time...:dunno:

I did an extended analysis years ago and found that generally if you are going to stay in one place less than 5 years you are not going to be ahead buying ... unless maybe you pay cash AND the market prices are going up?

However counting mortgage, taxes, interest, real estate fees, repairs, etc. etc. you are further ahead renting over a couple of years unless the market is absolutely booming which is rarely the case.

I'd say from my experience (I kept moving around) you'd be further ahead renting if you are going to stick around only a year or two.

If you figure you are here for the long-haul - go ahead and buy.

Do up a spreadsheet to calculate a mortgage, taxes, expenses etc. and you'll see what I mean. It seemed like no one believed me because it is an emotional "thing" for them but the math/spreadsheet does not lie. The first few years you are paying almost nothing on the principle ... bottom line.

Reijo

msommers
04-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Well said, Reijo.

Forgot about property taxes. Most taxes are right around one month's worth of rent anyways so that's a wash.

pheoxs
04-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by reijo

I did an extended analysis years ago and found that generally if you are going to stay in one place less than 5 years you are not going to be ahead buying ... unless maybe you pay cash AND the market prices are going up?

However counting mortgage, taxes, interest, real estate fees, repairs, etc. etc. you are further ahead renting over a couple of years unless the market is absolutely booming which is rarely the case.

I'd say from my experience (I kept moving around) you'd be further ahead renting if you are going to stick around only a year or two.

If you figure you are here for the long-haul - go ahead and buy.

Do up a spreadsheet to calculate a mortgage, taxes, expenses etc. and you'll see what I mean. It seemed like no one believed me because it is an emotional "thing" for them but the math/spreadsheet does not lie. The first few years you are paying almost nothing on the principle ... bottom line.

Reijo

Keep in mind this heavily depends on what you buy. If you buy a condo you have a smaller mortgage but are sinking more into condo fees. If you have a house you have a larger mortgage but gain a bit more equity quicker.

If you buy a house and have roommates you can nearly cover all the interest / utility / property tax costs so that you are basically just paying equity in your house. Even with house prices stagnant you'd be ahead after year 2 (~750$ a month equity paying down the mortgage * 24 months = 18k$ which is approx realtor and lawyer fees buying/selling)

max_boost
04-16-2014, 12:34 PM
No one likes to buy during a down swing cause fear creeps in.

civic_rida
04-16-2014, 12:57 PM
I wouldnt buy right now.
Plus you also have to factor realtor fees when selling.

leftwing
04-16-2014, 03:22 PM

I'm not being a naysayer. I'm calling out leftwing for giving poor financial advice based on his/her experience of gaining 10k in 5 months. I think we can all recognize that type of growth for what it is, and it's a pretty poor basis to give any kind of financial advice on.

I am just giving my opinion based on my experience. You just don't happen to agree with me. Anyone who actually takes and uses financial advice they gained from an internet forum, especially this forum, is a bold person in my books.

I would buy again in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity.

HiTempguy1
04-16-2014, 04:54 PM

I recognize that, but you are making him out to be an outlier.

He isn't, not in Alberta anyways. Both my parents and sister have done this exact same thing, except it was typically $20k in 1 year. Been pretty steady at it lately.

The market is nuts. It will not slow down unless oil dips to $60/barrel again... and trust me, in my opinion, the world market is a lot shakier than a lot of people think (Europe has no work, Russia is shit, China's growth is rapidly slowing, Canadian outlook ain't so hot as the BoC said today, etc).

But still... if the recession didn't kill the market, there isn't much that will besides a depression.

jwslam
04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Try this calculator? (sorry no iPads, it's flash :rofl: )
I can't see it because I'm at work and it won't let me without the latest flash fml

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/business/buy-rent-calculator.html?ref=realestate&_r=0

cam_wmh
04-17-2014, 12:14 PM

/Pravda

reijo
04-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
Try this calculator? (sorry no iPads, it's flash :rofl: )
I can't see it because I'm at work and it won't let me without the latest flash fml

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/business/buy-rent-calculator.html?ref=realestate&_r=0

Interesting graph that appears to be jive with what I calculated many years ago on my spreadsheet. E.g. less than 5 years and you are better off renting when prices are not going crazy (e.g. 2% increase per year).

However remember also that American mortgages are different (Canadian Mortgages are compounded twice annually) and also in the US of A you can write off part of your interest in taxes unlike Canada. And, taxes etc. can be different depending which jurisdiction you live in and other such local factors.

R

Env-Consultant
04-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Some good points raised by a lot of people - it's a huge risk to take for potentially small profits, or even a loss. With that said, I put about $10000 into my house that I bought 7 months ago and it's worth $80-100k more than I paid for it (based on 2 realtors I talked to). I'm also in a high demand area with houses of less than $500k becoming rare. For a less expensive place (350k), I wouldn't risk it.

A790
04-17-2014, 05:47 PM

I am just giving my opinion based on my experience. You just don't happen to agree with me. Anyone who actually takes and uses financial advice they gained from an internet forum, especially this forum, is a bold person in my books.

I would buy again in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity.

I suppose so. However, given that you started your post saying "this is so far from the truth it's ridiculous" (regarding someone mentioning the OP would likely lose a considerable sum of money if they bought for 1-2 years), I felt it needed commentary.

I've seen 12-15k growth in the value of my townhouse since I bought it, so presumably after 2 years I'd be looking at anywhere from a 24k to 30k increase in the value of my home. Were I to sell it and move I'd have to pay realtor fees, early mortgage termination fees (bet nobody thought of that!), along with all of the expense that comes with owning and prepping a home for sale.

So, despite my 30k in "equity", I'm likely going to walk away breaking even... maybe with a slight profit. Maybe.

Based on that it would be negligent to say that buying for a 1 or 2 year stretch is a good idea, because the reality for 99% of people is that it isn't.

However, I do agree with everything you said in your post to me... lol.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I recognize that, but you are making him out to be an outlier.

He isn't, not in Alberta anyways. Both my parents and sister have done this exact same thing, except it was typically $20k in 1 year. Been pretty steady at it lately.

The market is nuts. It will not slow down unless oil dips to $60/barrel again... and trust me, in my opinion, the world market is a lot shakier than a lot of people think (Europe has no work, Russia is shit, China's growth is rapidly slowing, Canadian outlook ain't so hot as the BoC said today, etc).

But still... if the recession didn't kill the market, there isn't much that will besides a depression.
I'm not making him out to be an outlier at all. I simply commented about a bubble, indirectly reinforcing the message that buying for 1-2 years probably isn't a great idea. Anything that was taken beyond that is extrapolation on my intent.

Jonrox
04-18-2014, 12:00 PM
I have to say the real bubble I see is the bubble of invincibility I see Albertans thinking they live in. I used to live there... I get it. However, it won't last forever and I shudder to think of what's going to happen when it pops. But it'll never pop right? You're invincible afterall (especially on the Beyond forums... where stocks never fall, real estate always goes up, returns average 30%, and everyone is a millionaire by the time they're 30).

Anyway, unless you're going to be able to gain at least $30,000, you're going to lose money after you factor in realtor fees, taxes, condo fees, maintenance, and potentially getting out of your mortgage early (this is one of the most overlooked costs when selling a home and can be thousands, even tens of thousands of dollars).

If you stay for just 2 years, sure you won't be paying someone else's mortgage, but you won't have paid your own either. You'll have just given the bank tens of thousands of dollars in interest. This is a massive risk for a 2 year investment... your money is better spent elsewhere.

Darkane
04-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Jonrox
I have to say the real bubble I see is the bubble of invincibility I see Albertans thinking they live in. I used to live there... I get it. However, it won't last forever and I shudder to think of what's going to happen when it pops. But it'll never pop right? You're invincible afterall (especially on the Beyond forums... where stocks never fall, real estate always goes up, returns average 30%, and everyone is a millionaire by the time they're 30).

Anyway, unless you're going to be able to gain at least $30,000, you're going to lose money after you factor in realtor fees, taxes, condo fees, maintenance, and potentially getting out of your mortgage early (this is one of the most overlooked costs when selling a home and can be thousands, even tens of thousands of dollars).

If you stay for just 2 years, sure you won't be paying someone else's mortgage, but you won't have paid your own either. You'll have just given the bank tens of thousands of dollars in interest. This is a massive risk for a 2 year investment... your money is better spent elsewhere.

2 year mortgages are pretty good rates right now.

Calgary real estate is excellent right now but not provincially. I'm in the process of selling my mcmurray property for a 40k loss over 6 years.

That said my calgary property has risen at least 20% since I bought 16 months ago with comps In my culdesac going for 10% above my house value with 20% added.

I also just read canada as a whole is 3.7% higher than last year. Not bad.

Cos
04-18-2014, 12:26 PM

Darkane
04-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Also OP I'd recommend you go to the doctor and get a full blood panel taken preferably In January.

Just from the sounds of it your vitamin D level is crashed along with potential other hormones. Believe me I know.

I need 10,000 IU of D daily just to be within the normal range. That will help your depression issues if not rid them almost completely.

Cos
04-18-2014, 12:46 PM

Dumbass17
04-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Also OP I'd recommend you go to the doctor and get a full blood panel taken preferably In January.

Just from the sounds of it your vitamin D level is crashed along with potential other hormones. Believe me I know.

I need 10,000 IU of D daily just to be within the normal range. That will help your depression issues if not rid them almost completely.

I'll look into this. Thanks. I take vitamin D daily, about 4000UIs but i should probably get checked to see what MY requirements are, not just the bottle.

Darkane
04-18-2014, 01:29 PM

I'll look into this. Thanks. I take vitamin D daily, about 4000UIs but i should probably get checked to see what MY requirements are, not just the bottle.

I bet the bottle only recommends 400 not 4000. Yeah get checked for sure.

Dumbass17
05-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Went for the blood tests..waiting on results

still have the 'desire' or 'urge' to buy a place.
maybe it has to do with turning 30 soon and still renting and living with roommates

anyone have thoughts on if i were to buy a house, live in it with roommates for 1-2years and then see if end up staying. if i stay, continue having roommates. if i leave, keep the house and rent it out?

davidI
05-22-2014, 09:22 PM
I've always had a bit of an international lifestyle but when I moved back to Calgary with work in 2009 I bought a house thinking it would be good to settle in. Big mistake.

When I decided to leave Calgary, I rented out my place banking on it appreciating in value. It was a huge pain in the arse to rent from afar. I thought I had good people that I knew in my house but in the end there was a ton of damage and some of things that I had left in storage were stolen.

I ended up giving away nearly all of my possessions and selling the house at a discount just to be able to move as quickly as possible. I'm still dealing with the tax hassles of it all. I'm sure made a bit of profit out of it all but I would have honestly paid $5k to have not had to deal with any of the headaches or stress.

With respect to the home-buyers RRSP, you need to pay it back as part of cutting residential ties when going non-resident.

If you plan to leave Calgary in the next few years, just rent.