PDA

View Full Version : Portable Battery Chargers

anarchy
04-18-2014, 02:38 PM
I use my Nexus 5 quite a bit and I don't like having to be tethered to a wall when I need to use it and it's low on battery so I went to pick up a portable battery charger.

I read some reviews and the Anker chargers were really well reviewed. I ordered this one from Amazon:

Anker Astro3E (http://www.amazon.ca/Astro3E-10000mAh-Charger-External-Battery/dp/B009USAJCC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397853389&sr=1-1&keywords=Anker)

It's a pretty big unit which isn't that big of a deal for me since I'm using this mostly at home anyways. It holds a lot of juice which is awesome - it can charge my phone fully four times.

However, I'm finding the charge rate is really slow. If I'm using my phone while charging, especially a heavy app, it barely charges or even loses life!

Being my first portable battery charger, I was hoping you guys could give some insight before I return it. Are all battery chargers slow and is it unrealistic for me to expect a charger to charge as fast as a wall outlet (or close to it)?

And if not, any recommendations on a good portable battery charger?

EK69
04-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Charges one device at maximum speed or two at 3A total. Android 5V / 3A (max) port charges Android devices and iPhone with iOS 5 or higher at full speed, iPad with iOS 5 or 6 at 1.5A, or iPad with iOS 7 at 1A; Apple 5V / 3A (max) port charges iPhone at full speed or iPad at 1A (Android devices at 0.5A)

This part makes me wonder if ur using the android port or iPhone port?
3amp is a very fast rate of charge.
0.5amp however is not

firebane
04-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Charge rate is slow because you need to find a proper usb cable that allows for higher voltage when charging.

I went through 3 different usb cables before I found one that worked well.

And I own the 10k Astro 3E

fayzed
04-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Just to add, the length of USB cable made a big difference for me, when i used a shorter cable it charged in about half the time.

anarchy
04-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Wow this was very helpful, thanks guys!

I'm fairly sure I'm using the Android slot - at least that's what it showed on the diagram but I'll double check or even test the other slot.

I'm also using the USB cable that came with the Astro, it's also fairly short compared to standard phone charging cables.

firebane - are you using the one that came with your Astro or is there one you can recommend?

Actually I know I'm charging in the right slot - it's labeled haha.

firebane
04-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by anarchy
Wow this was very helpful, thanks guys!

I'm fairly sure I'm using the Android slot - at least that's what it showed on the diagram but I'll double check or even test the other slot.

I'm also using the USB cable that came with the Astro, it's also fairly short compared to standard phone charging cables.

firebane - are you using the one that came with your Astro or is there one you can recommend?

Actually I know I'm charging in the right slot - it's labeled haha.

No I had about 6 different cables and tried them all.

USB cables come in a data/charge or charge only type and if you are using a data/charge you won't charge fast enough.

Download a app that tells you how many mAh your charging at and you can then test various cables.

anarchy
04-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Update: I tried plugging it into the Apple charge slot (using the same USB cord) and it charges significantly faster! Strange because the manual and item descriptions says the opposite. Maybe they installed it backwards?

Anyways, very happy with my charger now, I'll do some more testing just to make sure it charges properly.