PDA

View Full Version : golf gti or grand am gt

HTN SWCHS
03-01-2004, 10:21 AM
my dad keeps complaining about my gas mileage so we checked out a couple dealerships and its down to a gti or grand am,
im leaning more to the gti because i can rice it way more that i can with a grand am, plus the resale value for the grand am is shit compared to the gti, any suggestions??

t3rry
03-01-2004, 10:23 AM
i have a grand am se1 and i am very happy wiht it, but it really comes down to personal preference

1badPT
03-01-2004, 11:14 AM
If gas mileage is a concern, the Golf can't be beat, especially with the TDI. Don't know enough about the GTI, but typically vw's engines are great for fuel. Resale won't matter unless you're not planning on owning it long.

420 5 life :tongue:

QuasarCav
03-01-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by HTN SWCHS
my dad keeps complaining about my gas mileage so we checked out a couple dealerships and its down to a gti or grand am,
im leaning more to the gti because i can rice it way more that i can with a grand am, plus the resale value for the grand am is shit compared to the gti, any suggestions??

Well, If your decision is based purely on rice then I suggest the grand am. I've seen some horribly riced up ones. But the GTI is going to have better build quality and alot higher resale value.

And grand ams look like the batmobile IMO:D

sputnik
03-01-2004, 12:12 PM
1.8T GTI... lightweight, fast, great mileage

brandon
03-01-2004, 12:13 PM
The GTI is a great little car. But the Grandam is nice but will loose its resale value to fast and you will have many problems with the engine if its a 3.4.

t3rry
03-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by bhsmith
The GTI is a great little car. But the Grandam is nice but will loose its resale value to fast and you will have many problems with the engine if its a 3.4.

where did you get that :bullshit: info? i have had my GA for over a year and not one single engine problem, i also frequent a forum with many GA owners with the 3400 in it and i dont hear of any major problems with it from many of them

Hollywood
03-01-2004, 12:28 PM
neither.

Old VW's=cash cows.
grand am= dude it's a pontiac. nuff said.

Be smart. Buy a honda.

brandon
03-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by t3rry

where did you get that :bullshit: info? i have had my GA for over a year and not one single engine problem, i also frequent a forum with many GA owners with the 3400 in it and i dont hear of any major problems with it from many of them

I got that info because I have owned my alero for 5 years and have encountered many problems with it. I also know alot of other aleros and grandams with the 3.4 who have encountered just as much or more problems with it. I also frequent many alero and ga forums.

1badPT
03-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
neither.

Old VW's=cash cows.

Be smart. Buy a honda.

I dunno enough about old VW's to say whether that's true or not, but don't get a car because its from "x" company? but you SHOULD buy a car from "y" company? pfffffffffft

t3rry
03-01-2004, 12:35 PM
well if you owned an alero for 5 years then it wasn't a 3400 because the 3400 was only put in 99+ cars

brandon
03-01-2004, 12:37 PM
listen man, aleros were only made in 99+ there was no previous years. Dont tell me what engine I have in my car lol. I bought my car at the end of 98 when all the 99 cars just came out.

QuasarCav
03-01-2004, 12:40 PM
the 3400 has been around for at least 10 years. it has severe intake manifold gasket problems, not to mention the hell caused by dex-cool.

The aleros have had the 3400 option since they were introduced.

Grand ams are good cars, but your not getting top notch quality.

This is my opinion, others may differ

MM99lude
03-01-2004, 12:43 PM
ya i would definatly say go with the GTI those things are pretty quick and really good on gas!

m10-power
03-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Go test drive them both, I just helped a friend buy a Jetta Wolfsburg, and I have had to rented many pontiacs...no comparision in build quality or performance. Pontiacs are rental cars, they have no 'feel' to them.

brandon
03-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
the 3400 has been around for at least 10 years. it has severe intake manifold gasket problems, not to mention the hell caused by dex-cool.

The aleros have had the 3400 option since they were introduced.

Grand ams are good cars, but your not getting top notch quality.

This is my opinion, others may differ

Your thinking of the 3.4 DOHC engine. The 3.4 engine put in the aleros and gas are diffrent. But same problems goes with them

itsnotaDUB
03-01-2004, 02:45 PM
neither.

Old VW's=cash cows.

Be smart. Buy a honda.

wow... dont be a hater......

VWhooligan
03-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
1.8T GTI... lightweight, fast, great mileage

you must be mistaken with something else.

weight - mk4 GTI's are 3100 lbs. thats not light weight.
fast - meh they're quick
great mileage - uh, no. i get 500km per 55 gallon tank

Ben
03-01-2004, 03:00 PM
it all depends on how you drive,

I've seen people getting 600-650 on a 1.8T, and I've seen people get 400. how you drive it all the time is key.

I agree they are not light.

Def. not the fastest car on the road, but they run mid 15's stock here in calgary. About a second and a bit faster than the grand am.

sputnik
03-01-2004, 03:17 PM
well if you owned an alero for 5 years then it wasn't a 3400 because the 3400 was only put in 99+ cars

2004 - 1999 = 5 years

t3rry
03-01-2004, 03:19 PM

2004 - 1999 = 5 years

wellif he "owned" meaing he no longer owns an alero for 5 years that must mean he has unloaded it in the past what 3-4 months? seemd a little unreasonable to me

403Gemini
03-01-2004, 03:53 PM
id get the grand am just cause im not a fan of HB's, but thats just my preferance. if i went with grand am id want the 2 door 5 sped ;)

ZorroAMG
03-01-2004, 04:03 PM
T3erry STFU and read people's posts. HE owns the car, HE knows what engine he has. Post-whore someone else's thread.

That being said, LOL

Get a VW. German car. NUFF said.

QuasarCav
03-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
id get the grand am just cause im not a fan of HB's, but thats just my preferance. if i went with grand am id want the 2 door 5 sped ;)

No GA's with 5spds, not in the last 6 years i think.

and the 3400 engine (not the 3.4 DOHC) was used in lumina minivans in the early 90's

t3rry
03-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
T3erry STFU and read people's posts. HE owns the car, HE knows what engine he has. Post-whore someone else's thread.

That being said, LOL

Get a VW. German car. NUFF said.

and what was your contribution to this thread, oh right, NOTHING

hjr
03-01-2004, 04:06 PM
personally, i would look at toyota if you havent already. Pontiac isnt even part of the equation as far a im conserned. As for the VW, well basically they are cool cars and the 1.8t is pretty solid, but vw build quality is not that great. For the price, i personally dont think you are getting what you pay for with the gti. another thing is the dealer network is in serious need of a house cleaning. There are good dealers and some very very bad ones. Its not as bad as bmw but its not great either. there are more issues i have with vw's as well, but i think they are doing at least 1 thing well. TDI. nuff said.

t3rry
03-01-2004, 04:07 PM

and the 3400 engine (not the 3.4 DOHC) was used in lumina minivans in the early 90's

not true the ecotec 4 cyl's in the late model GA's have 5spd

A_3
03-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Gas Mileage wise, you can't lose with a tdi, my mom has a tdi bug and she can go 1200km on a tank, given she's the most conservative driver on the road. I personally would go with the GTI fuel economy isn't near as good but it's still pretty respecatable and the car has go. Grand Am's have alot of problems contrary to post whoring t3rry's belief's my old boss had to sell his 2001 Grand Am last year because it was always breaking down.:dunno: can't vouch for all Grand Am's just repeating what i've seen and it looks like many others share my views.

hockeybronx
03-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Go for the Golf

VWs are :bigpimp: plus they run forever.

euro_racer
03-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Go with the GTI all the way, dont ever go with any pontiacs:thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
03-01-2004, 07:00 PM

and what was your contribution to this thread, oh right, NOTHING

Jabroni,

Re-read my post COMPLETELY.

AGAIN, Go for VW over GA

t3rry
03-01-2004, 07:03 PM

Jabroni,

Re-read my post COMPLETELY.

AGAIN, Go for VW over GA

read the thread starting posts, he's not asking for people to say "this one" "no that one" if he wanted that he would have got a poll, he wants reasons

and Jabroni, is that a pasta?

ZorroAMG
03-01-2004, 07:09 PM
Ok reason #1 : German engineering
#2 : Actually LOOKS good
#3 : Actually handles WELL
#4 : It is not domestic
#5 : It won't be worthless in 5 yrs
#6 : Old people don't drive GTI's

Shall I go on?

And YES T3rry, Jabroni is a pasta, you remind me of it.

3G
03-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
If gas mileage is a concern, the Golf can't be beat, especially with the TDI. Don't know enough about the GTI, but typically vw's engines are great for fuel.

:werd:

neither.

Old VW's=cash cows.

Be smart. Buy a honda.

He's buying new not old!

But yah I told you man get the Golf TDI. Can't go wrong. :bigpimp:

GTS Jeff
03-01-2004, 08:16 PM
And YES T3rry, Jabroni is a pasta, you remind me of it. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: zorros comment has redeemed the thread!!

lol, terry, u ever wonder why every likes to flame u? or are u a part of honkeybronx's ignoramus club?

aaanyway, here are my thoughts on the cars. if u are set on either one of the 2 cars, the gti is definitely a better car. first off, its a tuner car. the grand am is a grand ma car. the gti was designed to be a small pocketrocket thats fast enough to be fun, it has suspension tuned to be fun, its got decent resale, it is decent on gas, and its got a good aftermarket. the ga is probably as fast, but it guzzles gas, its ugly, mutant monkeys tuned the suspension, its ugly, it has no resale value, old people drive it, its ugly, and it has that legendary american build quality.

Originally posted by hjr
vw build quality is not that great.
well i guess it depends how u define build quality. vdubs always have very solid interiors, they dont use mcdicks styrofoam to make the panels, the engines are tough as low quality steaks, and the doors have that awesome way of closing. with that said, ive noticed that older vdubs always have a ton of little things that are breaking or dying, like random switches wearing out, relays dying, taillights burning out (i cant count how many euro cars ive seen on the road with a burnt out left tail light), or just stupid stuff like that. i wouldnt say vws are built poorly, but they sure need a lot of work to keep them mint.

T5_X
03-01-2004, 08:28 PM

DOHC 3.4 :drool:

Also in lumina Z34s, monte carlos and grand prix GTPs.

Good engines if you're a home mechanic, kinda like the quad 4s.

hockeybronx
03-01-2004, 08:35 PM
and Jabroni, is that a pasta?

Even though this is none of my business, I think I remember from my old 'wrestling watching' days when the Rock would call everybody a jabroni.

I'm pretty sure a jabronia is a Native Indians Asshole. I guess it's a little racist, it's definetely not my first resort insult:dunno:

t3rry
03-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
lol, terry, u ever wonder why every likes to flame u?
actually no, i dont wonder, because i really dont care

GTS Jeff
03-01-2004, 08:43 PM

actually no, i dont wonder, because i really dont care its sorta dis-social to not care when society doesnt like u...

GorG
03-01-2004, 09:45 PM
neither.

Old VW's=cash cows.

Be smart. Buy a honda.
hmm so true about the old VW's cuz they just drain your wallet, and grand am's damn i dont know about those either hmmmmm yea a pontiac is a pontiac and you cant change that, but one mroe is wrong see if nissan is for nismo's, then honda must be for homo's, stick with the one and true nissan!
^^^^^^^ i just felt like saying that go with the VW, its german it wont break, if it does though it'll get cost, but chance are that it wont, thats your best bet,a nd its got class with it also

t3rry
03-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
its sorta dis-social to not care when society doesnt like u...

this forum is not society, sorry to be the one to break the news to you

jdmakkord
03-01-2004, 10:27 PM

this forum is not society, sorry to be the one to break the news to you

Its obviously an important part of your life since you post 24 times a fucking day!!!:rolleyes:

A2VR6
03-01-2004, 11:37 PM
I would get the VW over the grand am, but im slightly biased hehe. In all honesty, the 1.8T was voted one of the 10 best engines in the world by Wards so VW has to be doing something good.

Hollywood
03-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Its obviously an important part of your life since you post 24 times a fucking day!!!:rolleyes:

Terry, I also agree with everyone here. You need to take it down a notch I think......Step a way from the computer.....

GorG
03-02-2004, 02:10 AM
yea you post mad terry, but what ev's its all good. i just never thought anyone could actually post so much for this long

GTS Jeff
03-02-2004, 03:29 AM

this forum is not society, sorry to be the one to break the news to you with over 9000 users, its a sizeable chunk of society. keep in mind that these are real people u are communicating with, even if they do only appear as text on your monitor.

Moe Man
03-02-2004, 12:41 PM
personaly i love both the cars i have wanted a grand damn for so long but now i am kinda leaning towards the GTP

Teach
03-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Interesting thread.

I own both a VW TDI and an Olds Alero (same car as GA). I also build old cars for fun in my spare time. Which car do I actually tinker with? Definitely not the Alero, too difficult to play with.

VW's on the other hand, simple to tear apart and simple to put back together!! (As I found out the hard way)

Bye the way, has anybody else here seen what a dear will do to the front of a VW at hiway speeds.... not cool.

So, if you like to tinker and plan to modify, go VW

Strider
03-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
personaly i love both the cars i have wanted a grand damn for so long but now i am kinda leaning towards the GTP

GTPs are pretty sweet (all domestic hating aside), but it's not quite the same as a grand am... don't think it would help his problem of fuel economy by a lot, either.

AutodreamMarvin
03-02-2004, 01:50 PM
i'd def. go vw. easier to modify, better performance, better looking(imo) better on gas, better build quality, better resale value, the list goes on. you should have been able to tell when you drove both that the vw was much better built than the grand am was(except the shifter is you drove the manual. those things are SUPER sloppy, at least to a honda guy they are). what the grand am has for it is that parts are easier and cheaper to come by.

i don't know if vw has done anything about it's numerous electrical problems though, so that might be something to look at. i also remember back in the late 80's early 90's that vw/audi was rated as the most unreliable manufacturer, but that was probably due to the electrical and "unintended acceleration." maybe check out some consumer reports type publications and see what they have to say on reliability.

sputnik
03-02-2004, 03:39 PM

Old VW's=cash cows.

Not to be picky but... "cash cow" means that it GIVES you money. Like a cow that gives cash instead of milk.

"Money Pit" would be a better expression.

heavyD
03-02-2004, 07:15 PM

Not to be picky but... "cash cow" means that it GIVES you money. Like a cow that gives cash instead of milk.

"Money Pit" would be a better expression.

I'll rephrase that:

"VW's IN GENERAL ARE MONEY PITS"

And please don't say "mine was/is reliable". Sure some are but they have had more problems than any other manufacutrer of automobiles for the last few years running. I don't like GM's but if I hade to pick between a GM & a VW for reliable transportation I would have to take the GM.

hjr
03-02-2004, 07:43 PM
pontiacs are money pits. (no i will not justify my answer. I will simply state it as fact)

heavyD
03-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by hjr
pontiacs are money pits. (no i will not justify my answer. I will simply state it as fact)

Never said they weren't. You are probably right.:poosie:

[KR3W]
03-02-2004, 10:04 PM
the golf is just way nicer:thumbsup:

HTN SWCHS
03-03-2004, 11:13 AM
bump on all the suggestions, definitely not the honda, theyre nice but insurance is abitch on them, looks like the veedub, unless i go to the grand am dealer cuz i fell in love with the interior.
btw:the grand am in the showroom was a 2 door 5speed

Davan
03-03-2004, 11:58 AM
You'll likely get better financing on the Pontiac.......

yeah. that's all i got. :D

JettaJon17
03-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Get the golf...my friend has a 95 Grand AM GT and bought it for 6 grand, and ssspent 3 grand on repairs. Paint bubbles and peels, worn out window motors, water pump in my moms grand am, and to top it off blown head gasket....3.1 V6....Amercan quality???? I got a Jetta and I like it...

Khyron
03-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Getting a manual grand-am is a pain as well.

Khyron

sti_power
03-18-2004, 10:54 PM
from what I have heard I would go for the grand am very good cars and very reliable! Alot of then around also so very easy to get parts!

CKY
03-18-2004, 11:25 PM
IMO i'd choose the gti hands down, its german, it looks nice, and yes i wrote this being biased against the grand am, just like alot of ppl that posted.

imports > domestics anyday

three.eighteen.
03-18-2004, 11:26 PM
i dont like the way grand ams handle...feel really teetery

Khyron
03-18-2004, 11:32 PM
When I was shopping, I checked out everything from Hyundai Elantra to Sub WRX to Jetta to Grand Am. I liked the size and exterior styling of the GA but once I sat in one, I knew it was over. When my WIFE says "Holy shit what happened in here" you know it's bad.

Khyron

Ducati
03-18-2004, 11:40 PM
I do not think that the Germans make a more reliable car than GM; conversely, the GM still leaves a helluva lot to be desired in the fit & finish department.

I love my own German car, however it is Not a hotrod. I also hang with people who own BMW's Merc's and Italian cars. (I also have a 30 year old Alfa Romeo) European cars are very high maintenance. My feeling, from having sold GM's for a half a year, & being able to drive and get the feel for them, is that the Pontiac might be less money to own & operate than the VW. I am impressed with GM's new EcoTec 4. I have always liked their big 3.8 oldschool V6.

Read Consumer Report and Lemon Aid articles about VW's. Not that complimentary. My nephew's 98 Jetta is a money pit, and his Dad's 2001 Passat VR6 is even worse. Both of those damn things spend more time in the shop than any car I know of. BMW, despite being perhaps the ultimate drivers car, is also a Rich Man's toy, as their reliability is not that good. The new Benz' are a shadow of their pre 1991 quality.

Now, that new GTO has certainly piqued my interest.
I have to say that I am coming back around to domestics, after giving up on them in 1984 when I sold my 67 GTX.

If you want turnkey reliability, buy Japanese.

ZorroAMG
03-19-2004, 04:10 AM
Agreed, except it's more like pre-1996 quality for Benzes

Ducati
03-20-2004, 02:03 AM
Too bad. I am drooling over that new 285hp turbodiesel CLS that is due out this summer. I hope the engine is more like the venerable old OM617 that would last forever, and not like the stinky failure prone SD350 engine or that wimpy 2.5 litre diesel that MBz used up until 1999.

Maybe they could put a Smart Car in the trunk as a spare.

barmanjay
03-21-2004, 03:24 AM
ya know what, you'll just have to test drive both, but drive both the base models and gt models of each and you decide what feels better to you.

If you feel what other ppl think of your car reflects what they think of you and you want to impress them, then go with the majority. Personally I would drive them both and choose solely based on how my body reacts to the car and the positioning of every little detail and switch. What ever car makes you feel better inside and is comfortable for you is the one you should get.

Personally I';d look into an old Mazda mx6 or ford probe. I have an ol school bud in Van that is a master mechanic and has told me that toyotas have proven themselves to be one of the better manufacturers around. (less lemons off the assembly)

Pacman
03-21-2004, 12:03 PM
I have a 2004 Grand Prix, which is similar to the grand am. I think it's a piece of shit, and would never buy one if I had the choice.

The car only has 10,000 km's on it, and there are enough squeaks and rattles to make a mustang owner feel sorry for me.

The dashboard is disco with all those round vents. The instrument panel lights up in red, but not a soft red like BMW's, it a bright red that get's annoying at night time.

The ignition is on the dash and not the steering column, which is neat, except for the fact that the dash is made of cheap plastic that's very thin and hollow. Whever you hit the brakes, the key fob bounces off the dash and makes a loud noise.

If I didn't need the space to carry drug samples/work stuff around with me.....I would have taken something smaller and well built.

ExtremeSi
03-21-2004, 07:03 PM
As everyone has pretty much summed up here, go with what you feel better in. In my experience I would never get a Grand Am. I drive rental vehicles and the GAs are unbeleiveably cheap inside. That alone turns me away. The interior (and exterior for that matter) looks like it was designed in some juniour high note book. It's all bubbly and curvy everywhere, but not in a nice flowing sense. Everything inside seems to just need it's own roundish molding to it and that's the extent of the design. Now if you haven't sat in the VW yet, definetely do so. The interior is just a pleasure to look at a to feel. It feels so solid and you feel like you're getting something for your money. Very classy that won't go out of style.