PDA

View Full Version : Mounting TV on Metal Studs

Ajay
04-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Went to mount my 51' Sony on my wall yesterday and I found out I had metal wall studs. Wondering if anyone knows any tips and tricks to mount the TV to these studs at all?

I've read online I can open up the wall and put some plywood back there but I'm not looking for a major project like that.

sxtasy
04-19-2014, 09:57 AM
I don't think there would be an easy way to deal with it as metal studs are pretty flimsy. Any idea why you would have metal studs in that area of the house?

adidas
04-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Just mount it, you are not hanging a hippo.

Tik-Tok
04-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by adidas
Just mount it, you are not hanging a hippo.

:werd:

Unless it's an old school plasma that weighs 100 lbs, you shouldn't have any problems.

Ajay
04-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:werd:

Unless it's an old school plasma that weighs 100 lbs, you shouldn't have any problems.

That's what I figured but reading online it mentions to use toggle bolts and not the ones the mount comes with since they're designed for wood studs.

Guess I'll stop by Home Depot this afternoon.

90_Shelby
04-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Ajay

That's what I figured but reading online it mentions to use toggle bolts and not the ones the mount comes with since they're designed for wood studs.

Guess I'll stop by Home Depot this afternoon.

Toggle Bolts are a good idea. That's what I'd recommend.

Ajay
04-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby

Toggle Bolts are a good idea. That's what I'd recommend.

Assume these should be fastened to the metal stud as well? Read that people use these to mount directly on drywall but that's not a risk I want to take with my TV even though they apparently can support about 100 pounds per bolt.

cherpintow
04-19-2014, 11:05 AM
I used something like this when I mounted mine. Tv hasn't fallen off yet...

toggle bolts (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-3-16-in-x-3-in-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Mushroom-Head-Phillips-Toggle-Bolt-Anchors-15-Pack-10292/100349323?N=5yc1vZc2e5)

The tip I would give is to be paranoid about your measurements. You don't want a crooked tv!

rx7_turbo2
04-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Toggle bolts, best way to do it. Drill hole through drywall and stud, setup mount with toggle bolts, pop the toggles through the hole till you hear that satisfying click. Done.

Ajay
04-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by cherpintow
I used something like this when I mounted mine. Tv hasn't fallen off yet...

toggle bolts (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-3-16-in-x-3-in-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Mushroom-Head-Phillips-Toggle-Bolt-Anchors-15-Pack-10292/100349323?N=5yc1vZc2e5)

The tip I would give is to be paranoid about your measurements. You don't want a crooked tv!

My mount has a built in level so we should be good on that front.

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Toggle bolts, best way to do it. Drill hole through drywall and stud, setup mount with toggle bolts, pop the toggles through the hole till you hear that satisfying click. Done.

Sounds good. Will get toggle bolts with the same size head as the original bolts that came with the mount.

revelations
04-19-2014, 11:01 PM
If you have a swing out/swivel thing - get a wall board and screw (inserts) and glue the thing to your drywall.