PDA

View Full Version : Itunes: 2 laptops, mirror library? help

Dumbass17
04-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Ok, here we go...
So I had about 13,000 songs on my home computer and alot were terrible. I wanted to delete these songs and make playlists as well. So I copied all my songs onto a hard drive and copied them to my work laptop - so I was able to do this while listening at work and home to speed up the process. I am now down to about 7500 songs.
So,
Home laptop, I started listening from A to Z and deleted any songs I didn't like as well as created many playlists.
Work laptop, I started from Z to A and did the same.
Now what I want to do is combine all the songs from work laptop playlists onto home laptop playlists and visa versa.
I guess each computer library would be a mirror of the other.
What is the best way to do this?!

Note: I do not get itunes to sort my music into individual artist folders. All my files are in one main folder titled 'music' and the files have no naming convention.

Dumbass17
04-21-2014, 08:03 PM
Nobody?

Edit
So in other words, I deleted 2k songs from one laptop. and another different 3k songs from the other laptop. How do I do it so the same 5k songs are deleted from both machines?

syscal
04-21-2014, 09:12 PM
iTunes is a piece of shit.

You can share a library, but you have to do it from a file share. To sync the two...check the store, maybe there's an app for that. :banghead:

Dumbass17
04-21-2014, 09:14 PM
i managed to find a script that will work, just have a few extra steps to take but have it sorted.

can close this thread

:closed:

CanmoreOrLess
04-21-2014, 09:19 PM
This might help: http://dougscripts.com/apps/playlistassistapp.php

I use a few dozen of his scripts and bought one of the other apps a few years ago. Smart guy and easy to reach by email. I'm sure he'd have an answer for you.

EK69
04-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
i managed to find a script that will work, just have a few extra steps to take but have it sorted.

can close this thread

:closed:

whatever you did figure out, can you post it for future searching? :thumbsup:

i would think there is some sort of way to do a "directory compare" in windows and delete the ones that didnt match up? (share the folders on each computer on the network so u can see both on one computer?)

pheoxs
04-21-2014, 10:33 PM
I'll look tomorrow when I'm at a desktop, you can do it with a simple command prompt script.

rage2
04-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by EK69
i would think there is some sort of way to do a "directory compare" in windows and delete the ones that didnt match up? (share the folders on each computer on the network so u can see both on one computer?)
https://allwaysync.com/

That's what I use, and it's free. Not iTunes related, but it syncs multiple folders. Delete a file on one, it'll delete on the other, etc.

pheoxs
04-22-2014, 09:53 AM
In the future the easiest way might simply be this:

If they are networked simple open the music folder on Computer A. Ctrl+A to select all, hit cut

Go to the networked folder music on Computer B, hit paste.

It will flag there are duplicate files, select "Don't move" and "Do this for the next x conflicts" and hit yes

All the files that are common will still be on Computer A. Computer B will have a full list of all the common files, the ones deleted off A, and the ones deleted off B.

Then just move the good music over to B

Originally posted by EK69

whatever you did figure out, can you post it for future searching? :thumbsup:

You can do it from the command prompt, basically do a for loop for all files and if it locates the same file in the other folder execute a copy command and move it into the 'Good music' folder.

Dumbass17
04-22-2014, 12:36 PM
They aren't on the same network. But I have managed to figure it out.

I used the script here
http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/scripts.asp#KillSelectedFiles

and added all songs on each computer i didn't want and put them on a playlist called DELETE. then ran the script and the script locates the files and deletes them from the PC and itunes library.

Now it's just a matter of putting the good songs on an external drive and copying from computer to computer..
:poosie:

benyl
04-22-2014, 01:11 PM
iTunes Match. $30 / year. All music in cloud. All devices synched.

I have 3 iPhones, 2 iPads and 5 PC/MACs that all have the same music list. If I delete a song from one, all of them get updated instantly.

Best part is that I can delete all my music from every device and then redownload what I want later (if I don't have internet). My iPhone streams as I drive/ride to work so I don't need a 64GB iPhone and don't have to sync my phones with music or sync when playlists change.

Dumbass17
04-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks Benyl.

I can't stand itunes, but unfortunately I have an ipod I use for the car and another ipod nano for the gym so that's why I use it

rage2
04-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Only reason I didn't suggest iTunes Match is because nobody seems to want to pay for anything around here. :rofl:

But ya, once you're on iTunes match, you don't even need iTunes. I manage absolutely everything on my devices. The only time I fire up iTunes is to sync my iPod Classic, which doesn't have any network capabilities.