PDA

View Full Version : Peru and Brazil trip

eblend
04-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Hey guys,

So my inlaws are making their way over here at the end of July and we all want to head out to Peru for Machu Pichu and then over to Sao Paulo Brazil to visit other relatives. We don't particularly care about which order the flights are in, we can do brazil first, then peru second, or the other way around.

I was thinking it may be cheaper to buy a return flight to Peru from Brazil, or the other way around, and then just book the cheaper of the two, Calgary to brazil or Calgary to peru.

Anyways, looking for a recommendation for a company that can guide us around Peru for about a week, the whole Inca trail and Machu Pichu thing.

Also, going to Brazil, we would like to have a personal driver and a guide for our duration there, so that we don't get murdered and all that good stuff.

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions on any of this plan?

eblend
04-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Well looks like Inca Trail is out....500 people per day limit is retarded, so scratch that.

Feruk
04-21-2014, 08:16 AM
Look at Google travel for flights. Different multi-city combos available and it's probably best bet for flights.

If you have relatives Sao Paulo, why wouldn't they show you around? Honestly, I felt safer in Brazil than in Mexico. You don't need a personal driver or guide IMO. Stay out of the favellas (which are pretty obvious) and don't pass out on the beach and you'll be fine. The worst thing that'll happen is a pick pocketing.

If you're in Brazil and looking for something cool to do, fly down to Florianopolis. Fun little island with something like 60+ beaches and a whole bunch of outdoor activities.

ExtraSlow
04-21-2014, 08:44 AM
I've been to brazil, and I totally agree you don't need a guide.

eblend
04-21-2014, 09:11 AM
The person in Brazil is a 85 year old woman that we have never met. It is a cousin of my father inlaw, so she can't really do much in terms of planning anything for us, at best we will meet them for a dinner one night and that will be the end of it. It will be me and my wife plus two retired inlaws. I have travelled the world by myself and done a ton of planning, but I don't think my style of travel would suit them too well. Thanks for the info though, I may consider just doing something ourselves in Brazil.

eblend
04-27-2014, 11:14 AM
So it appears I need a visa to go to Brazil, where does one get one in Calgary?

J-D
04-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by eblend
So it appears I need a visa to go to Brazil, where does one get one in Calgary?

Mail it to one of the other embassies in Canada.

Feruk
04-28-2014, 09:21 AM
The process is stupid long and requires you to mail your passport to a brazillian embassy IIRC. It'll take AT LEAST 6 weeks if not longer, so get on it right away. I have an EU passport (no visa required), but of 3 buddies that I was gonna go with two didn't get their passports in time and missed the trip.

SkiBum5.0
05-16-2014, 11:22 PM
Shouldn't take that long. Use a Visa service. I just got mine turned around in 7 days.

davidI
05-17-2014, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by eblend
Well looks like Inca Trail is out....500 people per day limit is retarded, so scratch that.

Trail is overrated from everything I've heard anyways. Costs too much and with 500 people per day it is a littered tourist highway.

You can find other Inca Trail trips that are 3-4 days in length which sometimes also include mountain biking. They're cheaper, less touristy, and a great experience in my opinion.

The downside of course is that only "The" Inca Trail enters Macchu Piccu from above before the main gates open. To still beat the crowds, we got up at like 4am in the morning and hiked the stairs from Aquas Calientes to be at the gates first thing in the morning before the buses arrived.

eblend
05-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Ended up booking a whole tour with http://www.machupicchutrek.com/

Talked more to the wife and it appears her parents don't want to hike there at all so we just taking it easy, taking busses and trains everywhere.

About $1000 per person from start to finish for 7 days flights and all admissions and guides included, plus all breakfasts. Wasn't too bad and makes it simple for me rather than planning out each day and all that like I normally would, but figure cuz of the inlaws, easier to just get a packaged deal.

Ended up not bothering with Brazil, going to Panama instead. I would have to apply for a visa in Canada, the inlaws in Japan, and all that for Brazil, so it became too much hastle, so an all inclusive week in Panama it is :D