PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions on building a second garage in the city?

pheoxs
04-21-2014, 09:12 AM
I have a question for you beyonders.

From my understanding you cannot exceed 45% lot coverage typically in Calgary (may differ slightly on neighborhood of if you're doing a duplex or whatever)

Lot size is 5900 sq feet
House physically is 1400 sq feet including the double front attached garage (est on the high side, I think <1200 actually)
Front parking pad is large enough for 2x2 cars so about 750 sq feet? (22x35?)

Roughly I'm at ~2100 square feet or 36% lot coverage estimating on the high side.

Do you think there would be any restrictions on building a rear single garage as a work shop? I'd be looking to do an oversized single with a reinforced pad to put a lift in. Total size would be ~300-350 sq feet and back onto our rear alleyway while still leaving a ton of lawn space.

Anybody have any ideas or thoughts if this is even possible?

Lex350
04-21-2014, 09:22 AM
My cousin put a huge garage in his place in Highwood. I'm not sure of the total coverage. The house came with a single attached garage and he built a triple extra high garage in his back yard facing the alley. His house is no more than 1100 sq/ft at best.

Tik-Tok
04-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Totally doable. I've seen quite a few setups like this, both in newer and older neighbourhoods.

I'm on a mailing list with Jordan for properties with triple (or more) garages, there's tons out there. My favorite had a double attached in the front, and triple detached alley garage.

Darkane
04-21-2014, 09:26 AM
It's been done. There was a house for sale in woodbine 18 months ago. Attached double, oversize double in the back. Awesome setup

pheoxs
04-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Great to hear thanks! A double front and double rear would be epic.

The house already has a nice sized deck and a massive yard so there are definitely some options.

funkytuqe
04-29-2014, 01:56 PM
I live in a recent new build house. I have an attached double in the front and last summer i put in an over sized single for a workshop in the rear (i have a back lane). As long as you don't exceed the land coverage % your zoned for then you won't have any issues. I'm not sure if a deck will go towards the coverage %age so that is worth figuring out too.

logix
04-29-2014, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by funkytuqe
I live in a recent new build house. I have an attached double in the front and last summer i put in an over sized single for a workshop in the rear (i have a back lane). As long as you don't exceed the land coverage % your zoned for then you won't have any issues. I'm not sure if a deck will go towards the coverage %age so that is worth figuring out too.

Uncovered decks are not counted in total parcel coverage.

One thing to keep in mind (you mentioned a lift) is that there are height restrictions on accessory buildings, 4.6m max total height (measured from the finished floor to the roof peak) and 3.0m max eaveline height (measured from the finished floor to where the trusses meet the wall).
If you want to build higher, you can always apply for a Development Permit for a height relaxation.

cam_wmh
04-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Not %100% confident, but I believe this is against a city zoning code of some kind.

schurchill39
04-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by logix

Uncovered decks are not counted in total parcel coverage.

One thing to keep in mind (you mentioned a lift) is that there are height restrictions on accessory buildings, 4.6m max total height (measured from the finished floor to the roof peak) and 3.0m max eaveline height (measured from the finished floor to where the trusses meet the wall).
If you want to build higher, you can always apply for a Development Permit for a height relaxation.

This. The way it works out is without that Development Permit you can pretty much have 10' walls (9'10 or something like that) in order to still have the peak of you roof fall under the restriction.

Originally posted by cam_wmh
Not %100% confident, but I believe this is against a city zoning code of some kind.

No.

Black Gts
05-05-2014, 12:48 PM
If you went with a scissor truss, you could probably get a bit extra height as well.