PDA

View Full Version : Why is window tint illegal?

16hypen3sp
04-22-2014, 03:33 PM
I have never tinted my front driver/passenger windows before, nor do I have any plans to. I always thought that visibility was the issue when it came to window tint.

When my girlfriend bought her car years ago, the previous owner had tinted it to like 30%. It's definitely not dark but noticeable. She was pulled over yesterday for it. Here is what she said happened.

cop: you have tinted windows.
her: yeah.
cop: i could write you a ticket for that. do you know why tinted windows are illegal?
her: why?
cop: cause if you crash, the tint makes the glass shatter into more shards that will cut into you. then i have to go to your parents place and tell them your dead.
her: oh.

She ended up with a 57 dollar ticket or something, but didn't have to remove it on the spot.

I had a laugh over it but it got me thinking. A quick google search brought me to this website where it says this:

"Durable in an Accident...
In an auto accident, tinted glass shatters less that non-tinted glass, protecting your vehicle’s occupants."

I think the cop was going for dramatic effect when he gave his little spiel...

http://partsource.momentum.com/doityourself/How-To-Tint-Windows.asp

Dave P
04-22-2014, 03:37 PM
I always thought it was because the police could not see into the vehicle?

G-ZUS
04-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
I always thought it was because the police could not see into the vehicle?

+1

I've shattered tinted windows before and the tint seems to hold it all together, where as untinted - the glass goes flying everywhere

Modelexis
04-22-2014, 03:38 PM
The question falsely suggests that the law has anything to do with rational reasoning. ;)

AudiPWR
04-22-2014, 03:40 PM
HAHAHAHA.

That's fucking hilarious.

I had the back window in my old S4 shattered a few years back which was tinted, if anything the tint kept the glass from becoming a massive mess. We were able to just pull out most of the glass in one go because it was stuck to the tint. There were only a few small pieces that did not stick to the tint which we had to vacuum up.

fiveowed
04-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
I have never tinted my front driver/passenger windows before, nor do I have any plans to. I always thought that visibility was the issue when it came to window tint.

When my girlfriend bought her car years ago, the previous owner had tinted it to like 30%. It's definitely not dark but noticeable. She was pulled over yesterday for it. Here is what she said happened.

cop: you have tinted windows.
her: yeah.
cop: i could write you a ticket for that. do you know why tinted windows are illegal?
her: why?
cop: cause if you crash, the tint makes the glass shatter into more shards that will cut into you. then i have to go to your parents place and tell them your dead.
her: oh.

She ended up with a 57 dollar ticket or something, but didn't have to remove it on the spot.

I had a laugh over it but it got me thinking. A quick google search brought me to this website where it says this:

"Durable in an Accident...
In an auto accident, tinted glass shatters less that non-tinted glass, protecting your vehicle’s occupants."

I think the cop was going for dramatic effect when he gave his little spiel...

http://partsource.momentum.com/doityourself/How-To-Tint-Windows.asp

Harder for them to break it if they need to pull you out in crash. Or you are trapped. Also so when the police come up to your window they can see what you are doing, pointing a gun at them or hiding drugs ext.

D'z Nutz
04-22-2014, 03:42 PM
This topic has been brought up many times, some including responses from members of the CPS. Search for it.