PDA

View Full Version : E90 M3 Vs F80 M3

AudiPWR
04-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Somebody over at m3post posted a really nice comparison between the F80 M3 and the E90 M3.

I personally have an E92 M3 and I do not plan on upgrading to an F82 M4 but it does look quite impressive and sounds a lot better than anticipated.

Cheers.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976284

artieg30
04-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
Somebody over at m3post posted a really nice comparison between the F80 M3 and the E90 M3.

I personally have an E92 M3 and I do not plan on upgrading to an F82 M4 but it does look quite impressive and sounds a lot better than anticipated.

Cheers.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976284

werd, I had the option of waiting for the F80 when my 335i was totaled or getting behind a e92 m3 at an almost fire sale price. In the end I chose the e92 M3 as it has that nice v8 growl, and not to mention it's the first and potentially last v8 m3 with the way things are going.

That being said, I do believe the e92 is a more analog car in comparison with the F80 in the sense of driver aids etc. I've personally never driven an F80 but I imagine the driving dynamics on that car would be "softer" than the current e92.. that or i'm just biased :love:

clem24
04-24-2014, 02:00 PM
I really love the new interior and the C63 style 1 piece seats. The white/red combo is pretty killer. Not entirely convinced of the exterior though.. It looks mean and aggressive but it isn't 'pretty' like the E90 is. Especially the front bumper, which I feel is just too busy. It's like the E90 is the really hot chick who looks awesome without makeup, while new one is the so-so chick who needs a ton of make up to make her look good.

Otherwise seems like a solid car but to me, but at the end of the day, the E90 sedan with it's NA V8 and coupe face would be my choice.

rage2
04-24-2014, 02:13 PM
The F80 M3's sound like shit. They were revving it when introducing it in Detroit and it sounded like ass.

Analog cars doesn't exist anymore. I wouldn't call a E9x analog by any stretch.

clem24
04-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The F80 M3's sound like shit. They were revving it when introducing it in Detroit and it sounded like ass.

Analog cars doesn't exist anymore. I wouldn't call a E9x analog by any stretch.

Haha this is true.. Even after disabling all nannies AND assuming your car is 6MT, you still have ABS and throttle-by-wire, among whatever else.

I'll assume that the new M3 sounds better INSIDE the cabin with the engine note blaring in the speakers LOL.

shakalaka
04-24-2014, 03:59 PM
M3's have always been one of my favorite cars but I am just not as impressed with them anymore. The last gen M3 took like 3 years to grow on me and I don't know how long the current generation will take.

jaylo
04-24-2014, 07:47 PM
The new F80 M3 is light years ahead of E90 M3

But there is always a trend of people hating on the new F80 M3 especially the ones that currently owns the E9X M3

ExtremeSi
04-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
M3's have always been one of my favorite cars but I am just not as impressed with them anymore. The last gen M3 took like 3 years to grow on me and I don't know how long the current generation will take.

I feel exactly the same. I don't know what it is. I think maybe they've become to expensive and complicated. The 1M and new 235M or whatever it's called seem more interesting.

rage2
04-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by jaylo
But there is always a trend of people hating on the new F80 M3 especially the ones that currently owns the E9X M3
The E9X M3 never grew on me at all. The last M3 I loved was the E36 M3, and maybe the E46 M3 because of SMG. And I owned a E46 M3 too haha.

I think a big part of why the E9X didn't work for me is because I'm Chinese, and in Canada, the value for the dollar is terrible. If I lived in the US, where it's priced significantly cheaper, I may have liked the E9X M3 more.

As for the F80, the sound is terrible. The only good thing the E9X had was exhaust note. A neighbor of mine has one, and it sounds awesome when he rips by, or when he's free revving it showing off to friends. The F80 really sounds like shit in comparison.

benyl
04-25-2014, 08:58 AM
It's funny how bad the F80 sounds in comparison to the E36 / E46. You'd think all straight 6s would sound similar.

clem24
04-25-2014, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by benyl
It's funny how bad the F80 sounds in comparison to the E36 / E46. You'd think all straight 6s would sound similar.

Not when they're muffled by a turbine.

benyl
04-25-2014, 09:14 AM
rage2's E46 HPF sounded fine. Nothing like the shit F80 sound.

shakalaka
04-25-2014, 10:39 AM
I think the only M3 I really liked and when they became my favorite cars were when E46 M3's were around. After that, it went downhill for me. When I was shopping for my AMG car, I didn't even think twice about a M3 for some reason. I find that so weird considering for like 5 years in my teens and growing up, all I could think about was that I want a M3 one day. lol.

And I would get a E46 M3 as a side fun car now, but I don't even think it'll feel much fun after owning the C63.

Aleks
04-25-2014, 12:17 PM
I think the only M3 I really liked and when they became my favorite cars were when E46 M3's were around. After that, it went downhill for me. When I was shopping for my AMG car, I didn't even think twice about a M3 for some reason. I find that so weird considering for like 5 years in my teens and growing up, all I could think about was that I want a M3 one day. lol.

And I would get a E46 M3 as a side fun car now, but I don't even think it'll feel much fun after owning the C63.

Have you ever test driven an E9X M3? Hard to beat that car in terms of pure driving enjoyment. I prefer the DCT over manual but that's because I like autos better in general now.

BTW cold start on a V8 M3 :drool:

http://ens-newswire.com/2014/04/03/european-parliament-approves-law-to-curb-vehicle-noise/

Days of loud cars are numbered. That's why you see new cars that are quieter outside than inside now. Soundakators gallore in the future.

benyl
04-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Have you ever test driven an E9X M3? Hard to beat that car in terms of pure driving enjoyment. I prefer the DCT over auto but that's because I like autos better in general now.

BTW cold start on a V8 M3 :drool:

http://ens-newswire.com/2014/04/03/european-parliament-approves-law-to-curb-vehicle-noise/

Days of loud cars are numbered. That's why you see new cars that are quieter outside than inside now. Soundakators gallore in the future.

Cold start on any V8 AMG > E9X M3 :poosie:

The limit for standard cars will be reduced to 68 db in 12 years, from the current level of 74 db. More powerful vehicles will be allowed a margin of one to nine extra decibels.

I'll just keep buying monster V8s to get sound.

Redlyne_mr2
04-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Try to avoid the Rage2 Bandwagon guys lol. Listen to the car under load at WOT and the fun noises it makes in between shifts.

shakalaka
04-25-2014, 01:58 PM
The exhaust note of the AMG was like 60% of the reason why I bought the car. M3 is a great car and it sounds decent, but honestly it doesn't even come close to the note of the AMG. I may sound biased now, but I honestly felt that before I owned either of the cars.

faiz999
04-25-2014, 02:02 PM
The exhaust note of the AMG was like 60% of the reason why I bought the car. M3 is a great car and it sounds decent, but honestly it doesn't even come close to the note of the AMG. I may sound biased now, but I honestly felt that before I owned either of the cars.

i agree. the sound of that amg v8 is a special one...imo.

sputnik
04-25-2014, 02:12 PM

The last M3 I loved was the E36 M3

:werd:

shakalaka
04-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Please tell me it's just not me.....

T8APmwo0OHc

AudiPWR
04-25-2014, 02:16 PM

Eh, I dunno.. The 4.0L V8 that revs to 8500 out of the M3 sounds way better than the 6.2L V8 amg offers imho. It's like comparing a F430 to a corvette. The M3 sounds way more refined.

rage2
04-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Eh, I dunno.. The 4.0L V8 that revs to 8500 out of the M3 sounds way better than the 6.2L V8 amg offers imho. It's like comparing a F430 to a corvette. The M3 sounds way more refined.
I'd try to make that comparison but I honestly can't hear the m3 at all over the sound of my 6.2L V8 at part throttle. :rofl:

Some say I'm an AMG fanboy, but I was a BMW fanboy way before that. Just sad that BMW has lost it's way since the turn of the decade.

shakalaka
04-25-2014, 02:23 PM
I guess it's that 'bruteness' of the AMG that I particularly like.

clem24
04-25-2014, 02:35 PM

I'd try to make that comparison but I honestly can't hear the m3 at all over the sound of my 6.2L V8 at part throttle. :rofl:

+1.. Sure the M3 sounds nice and all but the 6.2 between 3000 and 7200 will just drown out everything aside from maybe an obnoxious bike. There's no denying the 4.0 V8 is nice but just about everyone will agree the AMG 6.2 is better.

AudiPWR
04-25-2014, 03:04 PM

Some say I'm an AMG fanboy, but I was a BMW fanboy way before that. Just sad that BMW has lost it's way since the turn of the decade.

I dunno, I've got an eisenmann race set up with a free-flow x-pipe and its much louder than my friends C63 with akrapovic.

I'm sure it would be the other way around if he had a mid pipe though.

beyond_ban
04-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Easy to tell who owns what in this thread haha

redline
04-26-2014, 10:11 AM

I dunno, I've got an eisenmann race set up with a free-flow x-pipe and its much louder than my friends C63 with akrapovic.

I'm sure it would be the other way around if he had a mid pipe though.

wow the rage2 fanboy club in full effect in this thread, but the arka for the c63 is the worst exhaust possible for that car and i love arka exhausts.

and the new m3/4 does sound like shiet hopefully the aftermarket can fix it. But i cant wait from them to hit the street in a couple of months.

BMDUBS
04-26-2014, 10:53 AM
I have to say I really like the C63 but it sounds more unrefined and American to my ear (like a Nascar). The F430 to Corvette comparison is a good one...

M3 with a Kreiseig Exhaust sounds amazing but who wants to drop $5k on an exhaust?

shakalaka
04-26-2014, 01:28 PM
I just think that the whole point of a 6.3L V8 engine is to make it sound like a muscle car and the C63 does that quite well. In fact, they call it a German muscle car. Of course I am biased as that was the main reason I was drawn towards this car initially. At the end of the day to each their own I guess.

beyond_ban
04-26-2014, 01:48 PM
6.3L? Coming from an owner, that's surprising.

KRyn
04-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Oh snap! :rofl:
That's why it's called the C63 right? ;)

shakalaka
04-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Haha my bad...it was a typo. I was thinking 6.2 and wrote 6.3. lol

benyl
04-26-2014, 02:44 PM
We should have a meeting of the V8s and have a sound off. We can get some randoms to be the judges.

Need at least one red neck and one Ferrari/Lambo owner and someone else to be the tie breaker. Haha

redline
04-26-2014, 03:25 PM
We should have a meeting of the V8s and have a sound off. We can get some randoms to be the judges.

Need at least one red neck and one Ferrari/Lambo owner and someone else to be the tie breaker. Haha

as long as they are not from beyond... the only forum that would have more posts on amg in a thread to discuss two gens of M3

never
04-26-2014, 04:17 PM

I could get in on that. I don't know about sounding better but mine will definitely be louder.

Redlined_8000
04-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Bought not built.

Also IMO I like the induction sound of the 4L v8 in the M3 alot more than the C63 M156. Overall I have to say the M156 is the "better" engine.... Its massive, has tons or torque, exhaust note is great. But again the M3 V8 is nothing to laugh at, its a fantastic engine too I think.

Blue
04-26-2014, 04:49 PM
i do agree, stock c63 sounds better than the m3 though
but after you put on a after market exhaust on the m3 :drool:

rage2
04-26-2014, 07:04 PM
I didn't even bring AMG into this discussion. :rofl:

Edit - I'm blaming benyl, he brought in the AMG vs M3 exhaust comparison.

ExtraSlow
04-26-2014, 07:12 PM

Need at least one red neck and one Ferrari/Lambo owner and someone else to be the tie breaker. Haha Can I be your redneck?

shakalaka
04-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000

Bought not built.

Haha exactly. Mine is built by Oleg Olav. :D

2m0a0x2
04-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Stock for stock, the C63 definitely sounds better. For some dumb reason, BMW seems to try and make their cars quieter through retarded exhaust designs. They could have easily made the E9X M3 sound much better but they didn't. I own an E90 M3 and even I roll down the window when I see a C63 or RS4 next to me. They do really sound that much better.

EDIT: To answer the OP's question, in my opinion, it's a vast improvement in every single way to the E90 - lighter, more nimble, better on fuel, better interior, better looks, almost everything. Even the electric steering was benchmarked against Porsche to make sure it's better.

However, I don't like the mic in the engine bay though, that's ridiculous. I also prefer an NA engine and it's pretty hard to find an affordable NA car with this kind of power without going American these days.

SkiBum5.0
04-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by 2m0a0x2
Stock for stock, the C63 definitely sounds better. For some dumb reason, BMW seems to try and make their cars quieter through retarded exhaust designs. They could have easily made the E9X M3 sound much better but they didn't. I own an E90 M3 and even I roll down the window when I see a C63 or RS4 next to me. They do really sound that much better.

EDIT: To answer the OP's question, in my opinion, it's a vast improvement in every single way to the E90 - lighter, more nimble, better on fuel, better interior, better looks, almost everything. Even the electric steering was benchmarked against Porsche to make sure it's better.

However, I don't like the mic in the engine bay though, that's ridiculous. I also prefer an NA engine and it's pretty hard to find an affordable NA car with this kind of power without going American these days.

BMW uses a Helmholtz Chamber - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance - for the S65 to reduce resonance (the bad kind). For those buying a high end sports car they don't want drone while driving 90% of the time. Simply replace the silencer on your car or google "OEM Exhaust Mod" for the E90/E92"

AudiPWR
04-28-2014, 09:17 AM

I'll bring mine out :devil:

clem24
04-28-2014, 09:42 AM

You know this would be pretty epic.. Gathering all the Beyond Civics and having them all rev at the same time? I have a digital decibel meter I can bring. I think you might actually "beyond" to something.

shakalaka
04-28-2014, 10:34 AM
I am in....as long as it's a weekend that I can be in Calgary!