PDA

View Full Version : Public IP address brooker recommendation

KISS_ME
04-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Anyone have a reliable source to brokering a public class C IP block? ARIN is only dishing out >/20's and I cant justify that many public IP's for my purpose. I need a minimum of /24 so I advertise my own routes. I don't care the size that's for sale so long as it's larger than a /24, I'm willing to pay.

thetransporter
04-25-2014, 08:38 PM
i got my boss static ip addresses from westnet - westnet i think has 4096 ip addresses block (ip networks is not my field ) give them a shout tell them thetransporter sent you.

they are IP4 ...

sputnik
04-28-2014, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by KISS_ME
Anyone have a reliable source to brokering a public class C IP block? ARIN is only dishing out >/20's and I cant justify that many public IP's for my purpose. I need a minimum of /24 so I advertise my own routes. I don't care the size that's for sale so long as it's larger than a /24, I'm willing to pay.

You won't be able to get the address space directly from ARIN. You will need to lease the addresses from your ISP.

Besides I think ARIN just announced that they were down to their last /8.

What are you doing that you NEED to advertise your own routes?

KISS_ME
04-28-2014, 09:01 AM
thanks. i'll give westnet a shout today to see what they offer.

it's not that i require to advertise my own routes.it's just leasing mean's i'm at the mercy of my interwebz provider. if i move to a different provider than i have to re-address my entire network.

and last /8??? do they subnet that out or do they give out the entire class A?

sputnik
04-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by KISS_ME
it's not that i require to advertise my own routes.it's just leasing mean's i'm at the mercy of my interwebz provider. if i move to a different provider than i have to re-address my entire network.

Gone are the days of small businesses owning their own IP addresses. Unless you are huge or an ISP you will only be able to lease publicly routable addresses from your services provider.

Why do you need your entire network to be publicly routed IP addresses? A combination of DNS and NAT should be able to ensure that you will have minimal work required should you have to change over your network.

Unless you are spanning multiple sites requiring routed failover, it seems overkill to insist on a public CIDR block and your own ASN to do BGP. The cost to lease the addresses will not be cheap and if you are sticking with one ISP anyway what is the point?

KISS_ME
04-28-2014, 09:37 AM
at this point, it's more of a business reason than a technical reason for procuring our own ip block. let's keep it at that cause i cant speak too much about it.

regarding costs, to be best of my knowledge it's actually just a large one time capex charge to acquire the block, the opex side is just my yearly dues for the class c and ASN.

sputnik
04-28-2014, 09:43 AM
If the business insists on have a publicly routed block of IPs, you can tell them the only option they have is to lease it from their ISP.

Zhariak
04-28-2014, 10:23 AM
I think he probably wants the block, so they can retain ownership indefinitely and not worry about their IPs changing due to changes with their ISP's infrastructure.

When my statics have changed, it's been one of the biggest pains in the ass for me.

Also, they probably want to advertise their own routes, the combo of the reasons make sense.