PDA

View Full Version : How do you prep the ride for winter storage?

colinderksen
04-26-2014, 09:21 PM
I fill the tank with premium, change oil/filter, inflate tires a touch higher than normal, and keep battery on trickle charger. No stabilizer or the like.
Any tips on how you guys do it?

Graham_A_M
04-26-2014, 09:23 PM
I usually do all the above, but put fuel stabilizer in it. Kind of an odd question for now isn't it? as most are getting their summer cars out of hibernation.

Tik-Tok
04-26-2014, 09:33 PM
I do it like I've mentioned in the dozen other threads on this subject.

:drama:

colinderksen
04-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Winter will come next year as well.

Graham_A_M
04-27-2014, 10:52 AM
^ Sure, good luck remembering everything that would potentially be said in this thread when that happens.

M.alex
04-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Sure, good luck remembering everything that would potentially be said in this thread when that happens.

Disconnect battery. Come back in 6 months.

What more do you need to remember :dunno:

16hypen3sp
04-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Usually do whats already been said.

Throw down mouse traps and monitor.

gpomp
04-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Fill tank, add stabilizer
Inflate tires to 45 psi
Disconnect battery

bjstare
04-28-2014, 08:11 AM
@OP, why fill with premium? Unless that's what you always put in that vehicle...

Tik-Tok
04-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
@OP, why fill with premium? Unless that's what you always put in that vehicle...

Well, premium from Shell won't have ethanol in it which will absorb water. That's the only bonus I could see.

ExtraSlow
04-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Non-ethanol gas should be a goal. Not sure the octane or other additives will assist anything.

revelations
04-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Premium tends to have slightly more stabilizer as it sits in the ground tanks longer.

Bare minimum should be:

- disconnect negative terminal
- fill with premium

revelations
04-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by colinderksen
I fill the tank with premium, change oil/filter, inflate tires a touch higher than normal, and keep battery on trickle charger. No stabilizer or the like.
Any tips on how you guys do it?

Are you in Australia ?

Zetsu
04-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Nice to see Australia has found there way to beyond! :confused:

Graham_A_M
04-29-2014, 09:16 PM
I also put a liter of two stroke oil in the tank as well (depends on the size of tank as to how much to add) but it helps lubricate the top end until the oil pump can adequately build pressure and circulate the oil for when you first start it in the spring. If you have an RX7 with a rotary engine, this is just about mandatory every time you fill up lol.

sidewaysD
04-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Depending also where will it be stored?

Indoor/outdoor? (Both different procedures as well).

In any-case.. Moisture is your worst enemy, especially in the engine.

If you are considering to store your car for 6 months or more, you should change your oil and filter. (Cheap stuff will do.. For storage). Why? Used engine oil is corrosive, and will corrode the internals of the engine. The engine components, as well as the oil in the engine itself, are subject to moisture accumulation caused by natural condensation from these changes. If an engine is not run for an extended period of time, the oil film that was left on any individual component within the engine at the last shutdown deteriorates to a point that allows the accumulated moisture to make contact with the surface the oil was on. Corrosion of that surface will result. At the same time, accumulated moisture in the engine oil reacts with deposits in the oil that have developed from normal engine operation. This reaction can cause the engine oil itself to become acidic and corrosion on the part that the oil is trying to protect will result.

So... change your oil. A MUST if storing outside!

Also.. To protect the combustion chambers, and piston rings from corrosion..

1. fill with fresh gas, and fuel stabilizer and run for about 10-mins (Drive around)
2. Disconnect fuel pump relay.. or fuse.. Start engine and let run until it stalls out. (this cuts fuel going to the combustion chamber and also circulates the stabilizer in the fuel system, but not to the combustion chambers)
3. Remove spark plugs and Spray fogging oil/engine storage spray (should read.. Safe for Catalytic converters) or put a teaspoon or two of regular engine oil. (Bad for converters... if you have them)
4. Start the engine (3 clicks or so) to let the pistons cycle through to allow the oil to coat around the combustion chambers
5. Reconnect fuel pump fuse when done. (DO NOT start till storage is over.. starting the car will burn off the storage oil, and dump fuel with stabilizer to the combustion engine which ruins the protective film you put on during the steps)

HINT: if you are storing your car.. put it in gear and do not apply the e-brake. This will prevent your pads binding to your brake discs (or your shoes binding to the drum). Use wheel chocks.
-Plug your exhaust, and your air intake with a cloth. (Prevents rodents, or pests building nests inside during winter)
-Remove your battery and have it on a charger, or battery maintainer.

Also, Wash and wax your car before storage, this helps protect your paint finish and repel condensation.