PDA

View Full Version : Government asked for private Telecom/social media data 1.2 million times in 2011...

Toma
04-30-2014, 12:59 PM
Wow!

Canada must be just full of terrorist plotters.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/04/29/telecoms_refuse_say_how_often_they_hand_over_customers_data.html

codetrap
04-30-2014, 01:28 PM
And? If the police are investigating a child assault case, you don't think they're going to put information requests into 10 different agencies for one person to help build a case? Is it the big number that scares you?

Xtrema
04-30-2014, 01:33 PM
No problem with the request, the question here is that nobody knows if information was given with or without warrant.

codetrap
04-30-2014, 01:56 PM
^ or if any information was given out at all. Just because the request was made. I'm with you, I'd like to know more about what kind of information was actually given out, and how many times.

Xtrema
04-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
^ or if any information was given out at all. Just because the request was made. I'm with you, I'd like to know more about what kind of information was actually given out, and how many times.

The shear number of requests, even a 50% success rate, is a lot of info given out.

When asked if the companies would consider releasing the information to the privacy commissioner’s office, the telecoms responded with one word: “No.”

“We have tried, many times. We have sought out information from the telecoms to find out, and they’ve given us very general comments,” said Chantal Bernier, the interim privacy commissioner.

So if telecom has the same reply to the privacy commissioner as with other requests than we are fine. But I'm sure there are lots of warrantless tabs of citizens.

Toma
05-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Lol... For now..... Read the fine print of the conservatives omni bus cyber 'bully' bill.

Xtrema
05-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Lol... For now..... Read the fine print of the conservatives omni bus cyber 'bully' bill.

You know Beyond agrees with you when your thread is quiet.

:rofl: