PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmower & BBQ Tune-up

liquid1010
05-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Both our BBQ and our lawnmower are in need of some maintenance now that it's spring time.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a company/person? Last year I took our lawnmower to someone in crowfoot (I can't remember the name), however they didn't do a very good job.

sillysod
05-02-2014, 03:43 PM
PM Sector9.

If he has time he may look at your mower for you. He's a bit of a engine nut so and has a ton of experience on small engines.

jabjab
05-02-2014, 03:59 PM
I too need some lawnmower maintaince done

spacerz
05-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Arn's equipment for your lawnmower.

codetrap
05-03-2014, 10:06 PM
What do you need for maintenance? New air filter and an oil change? Oh, and don't run "bronze" in lawn mowers. Ethanol bad. :D

firebane
05-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
What do you need for maintenance? New air filter and an oil change? Oh, and don't run "bronze" in lawn mowers. Ethanol bad. :D

Don't get me started on ethanol and small engines. Coop is the only place I'll be going for fuel for mine.

MrSector9
05-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Most shops in calgary are overpriced for what you get :)

Turnaround time is also something that can be limiting for most.

If you wanted the shop route you could look at Jeds in bowness, Alberta Forest & Garden (16th/barlow area by t&t honda), or Arns/Action engine which are both located in the Shaw GMC Area.

I do suggest cutting the bill in half and doing it through someone private :) that is reputable.

jabjab
05-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by MrSector9
Most shops in calgary are overpriced for what you get :)

Turnaround time is also something that can be limiting for most.

If you wanted the shop route you could look at Jeds in bowness, Alberta Forest & Garden (16th/barlow area by t&t honda), or Arns/Action engine which are both located in the Shaw GMC Area.

I do suggest cutting the bill in half and doing it through someone private :) that is reputable.

Is there anyone private on this forum that knows how to do lawnmower maintainence?

Sugarphreak
05-07-2014, 03:51 PM

MrSector9
05-07-2014, 04:03 PM
In all honesty that is what most people do, I only get calls when they won't start and lawns are over grown... then they expect miracles when rods are hanging out the side of the block.

civic_stylez
05-07-2014, 05:11 PM
I did my own service last year and it was WELL worth the time.. sharpened the blade with the dremel, oil change, spark plug, new air filter. Starts up like a champ with no effort and cuts really thick grass without losing power. Considering its a 20 year old craftsman, im pretty happy with how she runs.

firebane
05-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
They need maintenance?

I just run it every year right out of storage... haha

Guess you've never seen the effects of ethanol gas on small engines and such?

It destroys rubber and other stuff.

Graham_A_M
05-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by jabjab

Is there anyone private on this forum that knows how to do lawnmower maintainence?

I can do it, and if you're there, I'll walk you through what to do, and what to look for, so from that point forward you'll be able to do everything yourself. PM me if you're interested.

I'll also show you a bunch of tips and tricks for keeping it running great, and how to solve any issue you may encounter with it.

MrSector9
05-07-2014, 09:12 PM
The biggest part is a properly sharpened blade, I sharpen mine quite frequently (every 2 mows) to not split the ends of the grass and kill the tips

http://www.targetlawncare.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Sharp-VS-Dull-Blade.jpg

codetrap
05-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by MrSector9
The biggest part is a properly sharpened blade, I sharpen mine quite frequently (every 2 mows) to not split the ends of the grass and kill the tips, Every spring around May Long I do my annual neighborhood lawnmower sharpening.. it started a few years back when my next door neighbor heard me doing it in the garage, and now it's ballooned into a bunch of them bringing me their blades & a beer and me doing them all. I usually spend a couple hours in the afternoon razoring them all up and balancing them.

The downside to doing this is last year I almost cut my finger off because I was pretty hammered by the time I got to mine.... thank god for good work gloves. :P

Sugarphreak
05-08-2014, 09:54 AM

Ricey_Ricerson
05-08-2014, 11:54 AM
pm YCB, he can help you out. I've got a couple mowers done through him.

civic_stylez
05-08-2014, 01:55 PM
^^ What do you use for sharpening the blade?

I have a chainsaw file somewhere that I was thinking about using, but not sure if that is the correct way to go about it.

I use this with my dremel. Works awesome.

http://www.dremel.com/en-ca/attachments/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=675

Sugarphreak
05-09-2014, 07:06 AM

codetrap
05-09-2014, 07:45 AM
^^ What do you use for sharpening the blade?

I have a chainsaw file somewhere that I was thinking about using, but not sure if that is the correct way to go about it. I set up my bench grinder, then move to a wetstone to finish...

However, that dremel tool thingy looks pretty sweet too.. I can see that being easily faster and safer than the bench grinder.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dremel-sharpening-attachment-set-0544609p.html#.U2zdIKIh1Ew

The_Penguin
05-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

However, that dremel tool thingy looks pretty sweet too.. I can see that being easily faster and safer than the bench grinder.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dremel-sharpening-attachment-set-0544609p.html#.U2zdIKIh1Ew

Indeed, that Dremel tool looks great.

The link you posted appears to be the current version of the product. Lowes has it as well for $19.98

JordanEG6
07-08-2015, 10:32 AM
BUMP.

I'm looking to sharpen the blades of my lawn mower. I can still cut the grass no problem, but like posted above, the tips of the grass have split ends and torn tips. Probably not really healthy for the grass.

I was wondering where I can get my blades sharpened or replaced?

JordanEG6
07-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Double Post.