PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Paramedic?

The BMW Guy
05-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Asking for a friend of mine. She wants a career change and is interested in going back to school and eventually becoming an EMT-P (Paramedic). We don't know any EMTs or EMT-Ps personally so thought I would get some insight from anyone on Beyond who is or may know an EMT.

What's the lifestyle like? (typical day-to-day experiences) Work/Life Balance?
Any job security concerns? Things you like/dislike about the career?
Any other insight/advice as well, would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

ExtraSlow
05-04-2014, 09:05 PM
There is at least one paramedic on Beyond. Maybe they'll chime in.

One thing for sure, if you work in the public service end, you don't make as much as if you work in the private sector. A lot of the private sector paramedic jobs are boring as hell, and sometimes involve more administrative work, running a team of more basic field medics.

I know for myself, I couldn't hack it, that's a tough job.

revelations
05-04-2014, 09:09 PM
I can tell you as a former RCMP that ANY first response type of work only suits a narrow personality type. There are those who "fit" into these roles naturally, those who make it "work" for them and those who cant and end up washing out.

#1 issue is the shift work #2 is probably the realization of how bad and stupid the general public REALLY is.

I can also tell you, from spending time around paramedics, that many dont recommend the job to others. 10 years is a long time to spend in the field apparently. I also know a few present and former paramedics personally that I could put your friend in touch with if you like.

TurboMedic
05-04-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm a Paramedic. You can PM me, and I'll provide contact info and they can ask anything they want to know

Mitsu3000gt
05-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by revelations
#2 is probably the realization of how bad and stupid the general public REALLY is.

This right there is why I know some people in the public service industries (nurses, paramedics, RCMP, CPS) that are looking for a change. They see first hand the unbelievable drain on the system, and deal with all the people who love being that drain and learn how to work the system. It takes a special kind of person to not have a problem dealing with that day in and day out. It's exhausting, depressing, and often unrewarding.

There are some paramedics that make stupid money working in the field with oil companies, they basically just have to exist haha. You won't be living in a great area though.