PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to go one time to the attic ? (asbestos)

thetransporter
05-04-2014, 10:49 PM
is it safe to go one time to the attic without disturbing (well least as possible) the asbestos?

There is a very bad noise in attic . 1960s home. Tried to see if it was vent from roof but no access.

Thank you in advance

EPA says:

If you absolutely have to go in your attic and it contains vermiculite insulation, you should limit the number of trips you make and shorten the length of those trips in order to help limit your potential exposure.

pheoxs
05-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Either go buy or you can probably rent a proper mask (key being proper mask and cartridges) and use that. No reason to risk it for the sake of saving a few bucks

thetransporter
05-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
Either go buy or you can probably rent a proper mask (key being proper mask and cartridges) and use that. No reason to risk it for the sake of saving a few bucks
I will rent a mask (gladly do so, too many people are dying of cancer)

ok but what about sliding the attic cover? doesn't that release particles into the air? do I just went the floor and tae my family to the in laws?

FreakinPrince
05-05-2014, 12:22 AM
You have a high chance of disturbing it even open the cover and you could release particles in the air like that

I would recommend you sealing off the area (depends where the access is) to minimize spreading airborne and be fully suited before going up. You don't want that stuff on your clothes either

Once you done what you need to do, you have to wipe everything down to be sure that's its clear and bagged it properly to depose before you can tear down your mini containment

I am an Asbestos Technician

thetransporter
05-05-2014, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince
You have a high chance of disturbing it even open the cover and you could release particles in the air like that

I would recommend you sealing off the area (depends where the access is) to minimize spreading airborne and be fully suited before going up. You don't want that stuff on your clothes either

Once you done what you need to do, you have to wipe everything down to be sure that's its clear and bagged it properly to depose before you can tear down your mini containment

I am an Asbestos Technician

about 15 years ago I had an alarm company install an alarm, they install went into the attic unprotected and all, was this not known back then or something?

firebane
05-05-2014, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by thetransporter

about 15 years ago I had an alarm company install an alarm, they install went into the attic unprotected and all, was this not known back then or something?

Asbestos fibers can get into your lungs and may never come out. There is a whole ton of reasons why you should never play with asbestos or around it.

If fact if the house is that old I'd honestly be surprised if there was not other forms of it around. You should never play, touch or disturb that stuff.

Here is some quick reading to understand why:
http://www.lung.ca/diseases-maladies/a-z/asbestosis-asbestose/index_e.php

themack89
05-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Just hold your breath dude.

thetransporter
05-05-2014, 11:13 AM
ok does anyone suggest an affordable asbestos removal company for long term living in home , I was quoted like 10/sq foot ... theres a lot of money in this city but that can ad up.

englishbob
05-05-2014, 11:37 AM
$10 a sq.ft. is more than reasonable depending on the site as a whole.
Lots of factors can drive the price (access, other materials in the attic space etc.)
The biggest concern shouldn't be price but more experience and reputation of the crew doing the work.
Its real easy to set up and asbestos removal company but not as easy to get the proper insurance etc.
You can buy a Hepa filtered half mask for around $40 from Home Depot and the like so you can access the attic without problem.
Vermiculite itself does not contain asbestos but the majority of it was mined in Montana next to a seam of asbestos so the two got mixed together.
The biggest problem with vermiculite/asbestos is that the majority of the asbestos settles and concentrates in 'pockets' of pure asbestos which when disturbed can generate high counts.

firebane
05-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by thetransporter
ok does anyone suggest an affordable asbestos removal company for long term living in home , I was quoted like 10/sq foot ... theres a lot of money in this city but that can ad up.

I would honestly, even though it may scare you, get a asbestos assessment done. You could have it in wiring and other places in your home and not even know it.

Kijho
05-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Sounds coming from the attic?

Sounds like the start of a movie.. I'd peace the f*k outta there hahaha

thetransporter
05-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Kijho
Sounds coming from the attic?

Sounds like the start of a movie.. I'd peace the f*k outta there hahaha

its air circulation passive fan the roof installers installed a very thin gauge one ,and the blades can only be accessed within the attic - its the fins hitting the edges.

Sugarphreak
05-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Tik-Tok
05-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I would just rent or buy a mask, maybe use some vapour barrier on the floor below the attic access location so you can remove your cloths and shoes afterwards. Plus tread lightly and ensure anything that follows you out gets cleaned up.

This is what I do, I also use disposable full body coveralls if I'm going to be spending any time up there digging around (doing wiring or whatever).

Honestly though, I think the asbestos danger is extremely over-hyped. Yes it's bad, but will you get cancer from home renovation exposure a few times in your life? Not likely.

yellowsnow
05-06-2014, 07:51 AM
It might be a good idea to use a spray bottle and wet the areas you'll be disturbing so it doesn't become airborne. Once asbestoes gets in your lungs, it never comes out. you should be fine though as long as you're properly prepared and wearing all the right masks and gear.

bspot
05-06-2014, 01:32 PM
One thing to note for anyone reading this, carbon fiber is very similar.

I found this out after cutting/drilling a bunch unprotected :(

EDIT: Just found a link saying CF fibers are bigger than asbestos, so not as bad. I still wouldn't screw around. Fiberglass is bad news too.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I would just rent or buy a mask, maybe use some vapour barrier on the floor below the attic access location so you can remove your cloths and shoes afterwards. Plus tread lightly and ensure anything that follows you out gets cleaned up.

x2, asbestos is extremely unlikely to cause you any problems from a single exposure, but there's no reason to be careless around it.