PDA

View Full Version : Gotham

beecue
05-05-2014, 08:46 PM
0d1zpt6k5OI

I will probably check it out but I think it would have been better without Bruce Wayne in it.

saiyajin
05-05-2014, 09:01 PM
welcome to the O.C. bitch :whipped:

Inzane
05-06-2014, 12:18 AM
Hmm... interesting. But feels... contrived.

firebane
05-07-2014, 03:36 PM
It looks like it could be good.. But I'll have to wait and hold judgement.

hurrdurr
05-07-2014, 03:55 PM
I liked the trailer, we'll see if the show is any good at the end of the day.

Vagabond142
05-07-2014, 05:45 PM
If DC is holding the reigns as tightly as they are on Arrow, there is the CHANCE that this might be a runaway success.... a CHANCE.

But, as with Firebane, I reserve judgement, at least until the pilot.

beecue
09-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Premiere is tonight on Fox and CTV.

firebane
09-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Just finished watching this. Wasn't bad a bit slow and the acting is a bit meh. Going to give it a bit more to see how it fares.

Some really stupid camera pov action that I truly dislike

Introduces Cat Woman, Riddler, The Penguin almost immediately as well as Harvey Dent.

Dave P
09-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by firebane

Introduces Cat Woman, Riddler, The Penguin almost immediately as well as Harvey Dent.

Dont forget Ivy

Vagabond142
09-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Just finished watching the premiere.

Solid 8/10.

Only bit that was a bit meh was Fish Mooney, she didn't really feel well suited to the ensemble, and the acting felt flat. Oswald Cobblepot is cast absolutely spot on, best actor for the premiere by leaps and bounds. Gordon and Bullock are also cast really well, already feeling the "grumpy old rotten detective, hotshot new clean detective" vibe between the two that is important in detective stories.

If they can keep the energy of the first episode going through an entire season, then we have one hell of a show on our hands :D

muffzz
09-23-2014, 08:03 PM
I think this show is going to start out a bit slow like Arrow then get super good as it progresses. The Pilot episode was pretty good but I agree it started out slow but picked up midway till the end. Looks promising though!

HuMz
09-23-2014, 08:27 PM
The only thing that caught me by surprise was Penguin not being cold blooded, I assume that he wasn't in the comics either? Either way it wasn't bad I'll probably give the first season a chance.

Stephen81
09-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Gordon has a godamn clock window in his apartment. Must be a builder upgrade.

JordanEG6
09-26-2014, 07:06 AM
The pilot was decent, I kinda like it actually. It captured me more than Agents of SHIELD did. I liked the casting all around, but what got me was the production value and how they captured Gotham City. I love the whole gritty and dark 80s New York style setting.

My only concern with this one is that the production value looks higher than alot of TV shows on Fox. Unless they pull impressive viewing numbers throughout it's entire run, I see them cancelling this after a few seasons. I was really bummed out when they cancelled Terminator. Haha.

403Gemini
09-27-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm a bit biased since I love the source material

I prefer the retconned comic version of Bullock where is is loyal to the police force but a "hard cop" (brutality, doesn't put up with BS) whereas the show is showing him in his original incarnation where he does take deals from the mob and what not (till Gordon almost dies of a heart attack, then he changes). For some reason, I always pictured Bullock being a bit younger than Gordon , but that may have been my interpretation when I was younger and just stuck with me.

Another thing that bugged me - I know it's supposed to be modernized since Batman came out in 1939 - but if we were to say Batman existed today he'd be likely 35-40, that means Bruce should be only about 12-14, so that means this should be set ROUGHLY late 80's early 90's... so seeing digital TV screens on the street, or slim cell phones angered me a bit (I know, they have to modernize it to attract newer audiences)

Honestly, I would have actually liked a more 1940's style like the old animated series from the 90's with tommy guns and fedoras but that would have dated it even more ;)

The senseless dropping of villain names was a bit over saturation just to string enough people over to the second episode instead of developing a GOOD PLOT is a bit annoying.

Both acting and writing was extremely drab and boring. The ONLY person who i felt like was doing a good job and wasn't reading cue cards behind the other persons head was Falcone (John Doman) - which is a shame because Donal Logue (Bullock) is an amazing actor. Ben McKenzie will always be "THE OC!" or "FRESNO" to me and needs an excuse to be in a wife beater in everything he does. A very poor choice for Jim Gordon.

The villains ages seemed a bit off, I dont think the riddler is a solid 10-15 years older than Batman. Catwoman seemed right (Selina is a bit older than Bruce), Ivy seemed around the right age (a bit younger than Bruce) - though they already ruined Ivy's past (Her father beat their mother until he killed her and buried her in the garden)

If you want to watch a decent movie based around Commissioner Gordon, just watch the animated movie Batman: Year one (Brian Cranston did the voice acting for Jim Gordon - though Ben Mckenzie did do the voice of batman, it's probably easier for him to act when he just has to read a script in front of him instead of memorize his lines ;) )

I'll give this show 2 more episodes like I do all new shows, but so far it doesn't seem to have anything outstanding going for it - which i find very disappointing.

5/10 from me for now, that's being generous.

edit: and also , Stephen81 nailed it - whats with his fucking apartment being a clock window penthouse? At least in the Christopher nolans movies where he was living in a dumpy apartment AS A COMMISSIONER NOT A DETECTIVE, it's realistic. Who knows though, it's a Fox show so they'll fuck it up and say Jim Gordon is actually the Joker and he can afford it with his ties to the mob :rolleyes:

Vagabond142
09-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Stephen81
Gordon has a godamn clock window in his apartment. Must be a builder upgrade.

Or it could possibly be Barbara Kean's apartment and he just lives there? They did make her seem/look higher class than in the comic history

firebane
09-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Wow episode 2 was so much better and Penguin wow they are really making him out to be psychotic!

Its interesting how they brought the Doll Maker into this episode who was also in a episode of Arrow

MGCM
11-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Really enjoying this show, pretty dark stuff. Last nights episode was pretty awesome. If you have not checked this series out you really should.

Sugarphreak
09-18-2015, 09:26 AM

firebane
09-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I am about halfway through the first season on Netflix (UK), and I am actually quite enjoying this series now. I agree, a pretty solid 8/10.

I also agree the best character is Oswald Cobblepot, he is creepy and awkward and it works well for the story. The camera work is hard to ignore at first, a lot of time went into making it dark and gloomy... but after a few episodes I can appreciate the intense work done to achieve the effect.

I was never a big batman fan, I've always found it too far fetched to enjoy. This series actually reins it in quite a bit, and the story from Gordon's point of view is more interesting.

My only gripes is that the Riddler is too obvious, his character is stinking up the show.

Riddler is awesome! Wait till you see the other known enemy .. oh lord.

But Cobblepot is downright creepy and methodical.

And oh god... the end of the season..

I can't wait for season 2 :thumbsup:

J.M.
09-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Season 2 already started!

firebane
09-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by J.M.
Season 2 already started!

Not till the 21st :dunno:

nykz
09-18-2015, 11:22 AM
S2E1 is out, just watched it yesterday.

firebane
09-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by nykz
S2E1 is out, just watched it yesterday.

Not official. Its a leaked version.

nykz
09-18-2015, 11:28 AM
Ah, makes sense, I stream/torrent everything anyways so I don't actually know the official release dates :D

firebane
09-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by nykz
Ah, makes sense, I stream/torrent everything anyways so I don't actually know the official release dates :D

So do I and my site didn't let me know so I knew its not out officially.

J.M.
09-18-2015, 12:30 PM
I watched it too haha. I don't really pay attention to official release dates either.

Inzane
09-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Great season opener!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

J.M.
09-22-2015, 11:58 PM
Morena Baccarin is a babe

Inzane
09-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by J.M.
Morena Baccarin is a babe

Yes, yes she is. :love:

Disoblige
09-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Cool thing is she and detective Gordon (Benjamin McKenzie) are actually going out irl.

J.M.
09-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Benjamin McKenzie is a lucky guy