PDA

View Full Version : Audi Allroad

maxout
05-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Hi Guys,

I will be in the market for a used car and considering the Audi Allroad. Is there anyone who has owned onee and can tell me what I should be looking out for.

Looking for a bit larger car and all the other wagons and hatchbacks don't appeal to me.

This will be my daily driver.

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks

schocker
05-07-2014, 10:50 AM
You are looking at the old A6 based allroad, or the newer A4 based allroad?

Tik-Tok
05-07-2014, 10:56 AM
If you're talking about a B5 A6 Allroad

STAYYYYY AWAYYYYYYY!!!!

Lol, unless you love turning wrenches or paying someone else to. Here's some of my fun with my 2003 allroad.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
250hp in stock form. Tune will bring it to 300. Im on my phone, so hate typing, but stay far away. Especially if its attached to a tiptronic.

8 years of ownership. Drove less than 80k kms (150k on the odo). Almost $5g in engine repairs alone, and I did a lot of the work myself.

- 2x a/c compressors
- alternator
- torque converter failure rate of 100% (on allroads anyways)
- leaking fuel injectors (even with new seals)
- camshaft leaks (replaced twice)
- main front seal leaks
- oil pan cracked (didnt hit anything, cracked on its own)
- turbo inlet oil seals

The last one was the final straw for me. To get to the turbos, you have to remove the entire engine. Hell to do damn near anything on the engine you have to remove the front clip.

Canucks3322
05-07-2014, 11:10 AM
I've looked at this too.. Didn't know the old ones were a6 based. .. What years are the a4 base?

What are similar vehicles? I'm considering an awd Dodge magnum cuz they're do cheap...

Mitsu3000gt
05-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
I've looked at this too.. Didn't know the old ones were a6 based. .. What years are the a4 base?

What are similar vehicles? I'm considering an awd Dodge magnum cuz they're do cheap...

I believe 2008 (MY 2009) was when you could buy an A4-based Allroad. My understanding is it simply replaced the Avant. You can still buy A6 Allroads.

I would avoid the Dodge Magnum at all costs. If all you care about is "cheap" there are better vehicles.

schocker
05-07-2014, 11:22 AM
2013 was the first B8 based allroad replacing the A4 Avant.
A6 Based was 2001-2005

Tik-Tok
05-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

You can still buy A6 Allroads.

Not in North America you can't, and haven't been able for a decade.

DeleriousZ
05-07-2014, 11:36 AM
If you're talking about a B5 A6 Allroad

STAYYYYY AWAYYYYYYY!!!!

Lol, unless you love turning wrenches or paying someone else to.

I think you, or someone in your family? had a rough experience with a c5 allroad. Not all of them are like that. Lots of people have great experiences with the cars when they're well maintained. I think you guys just got a lemon lol.

Mitsu3000gt
05-07-2014, 11:38 AM

Not in North America you can't, and haven't been able for a decade.

I know but Audi still makes them, sorry I wasn't very clear in my earlier post.

You sure did have a terrible experience with your Allroad though, that's for sure!

maxout
05-07-2014, 11:40 AM
The ones I was looking at is the A6 based.

Tik-Tok
05-07-2014, 11:43 AM

You sure did have a terrible experience with your Allroad though, that's for sure!

I did, but when it wasn't broken, it was a really really nice car to drive, especially if you're on the highway a lot.

Originally posted by maxout

I edited my first post to include my mechanical experiences with mine. If you want to know what to watch out for, watch out for the 2.7tt, the tiptronic transmission (as said 100% failure rate of the torque converter), and on all models, the suspension airbags are prone to leak. If they haven't been replaced, it's a $1500 bill for all 4 quarters.

You'll know if they're leaking because if the car is cold and turned on, the car will rise. A non-leaking system will maintain the height for weeks if not months with the engine off.

There's a reason they sell for so cheap right now, that should be a good enough indication alone.

schocker
05-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by maxout
Don't do it as they are very finicky. Would have to replace turbos/suspension etc.

sillysod
05-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

I think you, or someone in your family? had a rough experience with a c5 allroad. Not all of them are like that. Lots of people have great experiences with the cars when they're well maintained. I think you guys just got a lemon lol.

I think he just got a 2.7TT Allroad

If you get the 4.2 V8 (they are imported from US) you will likely have a lot less problems and although your fuel costs will be phenomenal the maintenance will be less.

quick_scar
05-07-2014, 11:49 AM

I believe 2008 (MY 2009) was when you could buy an A4-based Allroad. My understanding is it simply replaced the Avant. You can still buy A6 Allroads.

I would avoid the Dodge Magnum at all costs. If all you care about is "cheap" there are better vehicles.

I just bought a magnum recently and I am loving it! Why do you say to avoid them?

EDIT ** I have the RWD 3.5 not the 5.7 AWD

Sorath
05-07-2014, 12:29 PM
been trying to look for an a4 avant for a long time :( everything seems so miled out. willing to settle on a newer allroad and still barely find anything :(

bjstare
05-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

I think he just got a 2.7TT Allroad

If you get the 4.2 V8 (they are imported from US) you will likely have a lot less problems and although your fuel costs will be phenomenal the maintenance will be less.

...Yeah until you have to do a $4000 timing chain tensioner job.

I was set on getting a V8 S4 until I found out about this. Turns out there's a good reason those things are cheap too. :(

DeleriousZ
05-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

...Yeah until you have to do a $4000 timing chain tensioner job.

I was set on getting a V8 S4 until I found out about this. Turns out there's a good reason those things are cheap too. :(

Timing chains on the back of the engine for that extra fun factor!!

Xtrema
05-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
been trying to look for an a4 avant for a long time :( everything seems so miled out. willing to settle on a newer allroad and still barely find anything :(

Considered that I saw an 2013 A4 Allroad on the lot for $70K brand new, it's going to be a really rare bird.

bspot
05-09-2014, 08:33 AM
I thought the tensioners on the 4.2L were just an issue with the S4, as that is the part they redesigned (moved timing to the back) to cram it in an A4 body?