PDA

View Full Version : RIP Farley Mowat

firebane
05-07-2014, 06:06 PM
If you consider yourself to be any bit of a true Canadian you know who this gentleman and writer was and have probably read or I hope you have read a few of his books.

Farley Mowat, acclaimed Canadian author, dead at 92 | Toronto Star (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/books/2014/05/07/farley_mowat_acclaimed_canadian_author_dead_at_92.html)

The_Penguin
05-07-2014, 06:32 PM
RIP.

I can't imagine anyone growing up in Canada who wouldn't have read "Never Cry Wolf" in school.
Or am I just an old fart?

D'z Nutz
05-07-2014, 06:43 PM
That sucks. I knew him as a writer, but it wasn't until a couple weeks ago when I was watching a show on Netflix about WWII did I learn he took part in Operation Manna as a negotiator with a German general:

Mowat moved with the Division to Northwest Europe in early 1945. There, he worked as an intelligence agent in the Netherlands and went through enemy lines to start unofficial negotiations about food drops with General Blaskowitz. The food drops, under the codename Operation Manna, saved thousands of Dutch lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operations_Manna_and_Chowhound

firebane
05-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin
RIP.

I can't imagine anyone growing up in Canada who wouldn't have read "Never Cry Wolf" in school.
Or am I just an old fart?

You know its funny I've talked to a handful of people today about this and NOBODY knew he he was.

I do find this a bit disheartening to me because I feel he is a big part of Canadian culture and people who don't know his works are missing out on a large part of that.

Its like I was asking people today about "Sam McGee" and again nobody had a clue.

Inzane
05-08-2014, 10:49 AM
I read Lost in the Barrens and its sequel The Curse of the Viking Grave in my youth. I don't recall if I've read any others.

diamondedge
05-08-2014, 11:33 AM
RIP. I loved Lost in the Barrens, one of the best stories I read in junior high.

Wakalimasu
05-10-2014, 07:32 AM
RIP