PDA

View Full Version : drifting...

drifter_x
03-01-2004, 06:11 PM
hmmm aynone pull off a good drift?

and pointer at drifting?

hjr
03-01-2004, 06:23 PM
wrong section bra, BTW, the MR2 is not quite the ideal drift car.

Ekliptix
03-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Step 1: Find some MacDonald Trays.

Ridelikeme
03-01-2004, 06:46 PM
why would the mr2 not be a good drift car... rear wheel drive... mid engine.... 55-45 weight distribution on the rear wheels... short wheel base... hmmm whats missing......

and no man pick up the wenys/tim hortons trays from west hills, they are metal and work soo good... they even spark and look tight.. but let them cool before you take them off or u might loose the skin off your fingers... they get a bit hot

GTS Jeff
03-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Ridelikeme
why would the mr2 not be a good drift car... rear wheel drive... mid engine.... 55-45 weight distribution on the rear wheels... short wheel base... hmmm whats missing......

and no man pick up the wenys/tim hortons trays from west hills, they are metal and work soo good... they even spark and look tight.. but let them cool before you take them off or u might loose the skin off your fingers... they get a bit hot what gen mr2 are u considering? im assuming first gen cuz u mentioned 45-55 weight dist. anyway, the 45-55 weight dist. is something u might want for grip driving, but not drifting, simply cuz the heavy rear end is hard to control in drifts. when its too heavy, its hard to kick it out and once it is out, its hard to bring it back in. actually, this will sound dumb, but try driving an mr2 in initial d...that gives u a general idea of how drifting an mr2 would be like.

so yea, stick to playing initial d. its not very nice to wreck peoples trays.

rage2
03-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Why wouldn't an MR2 be a good drift car? So easy to get the tail out, and fairly easy to hold a drift, at slow safe speeds.

hjr
03-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Ridelikeme

For the AW11 - Going from a rally perspective (where drifting was basically invented) you can go into a the same corner at exactly the same speed, angle and everything

1st time - Car turns in and drives all the way through the corner like it was on rails

2nd time - The car turns in and the rear comes out 'drift' style and you struggle to bring it back

3rd time - turn the wheel into massive understeer and you scrub off most your speed or end up off the road.

- each time same entry, speed, corner.

As for MR in general, the cars seem to be more difficult to get the back end out, but once it does, the momentum of having the engine in the back can spin the car around before you even realize the back has come out. This is general of course. If you are the drift king then it wont really matter what car it is though.

RickDaTuner
03-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by hjr

For the AW11 - Going from a rally perspective (where drifting was basically invented) you can go into a the same corner at exactly the same speed, angle and everything

1st time - Car turns in and drives all the way through the corner like it was on rails

2nd time - The car turns in and the rear comes out 'drift' style and you struggle to bring it back

3rd time - turn the wheel into massive understeer and you scrub off most your speed or end up off the road.

- each time same entry, speed, corner.

As for MR in general, the cars seem to be more difficult to get the back end out, but once it does, the momentum of having the engine in the back can spin the car around before you even realize the back has come out. This is general of course. If you are the drift king then it wont really matter what car it is though. Even monkeys fall out of trees

the SW20 is not a Ideal Drift car to learn to drift in becuase it has way to much over steer and needs a delicate experienced driver to make it go sideways, im not going against what you postd more or less going oling side it, like the others have said you will over rotate the car in no time if you try to drift it like a 240. honestly i would try to learn to drift in a car that has Nutral handling IOW something that isnt biased to over steer or under steer. Honestly a nice empty lot with a good snow base is a good place to learn, you cant go to fast but you will need to learn weight transfer to get anything going on the snow!

cappachihngo
03-01-2004, 11:06 PM
in a MR2.. wut ever u do.. don't do attemp a weight transfer move..... especiallly @ high speed..

the oversteer nature of the car would cause it to become dangerous.. and u'll most likely spin out.. maybe even find a tree embedded in your doors... if u don't trust me.... well even Keichi Tsuchiya said too have minimm weight transfer in a oversteering car like the MR2..

(u do know who this guy is rite???.. if not.. don't start drifting yet)

mutsuraboshi
03-01-2004, 11:11 PM
yooo watsup with those fastfood trays?
there is always one guy that brings it up in drifiting 101 threads

awddrifter
03-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by mutsuraboshi
yooo watsup with those fastfood trays?
there is always one guy that brings it up in drifiting 101 threads

Tray Sliding is an FF Ass-Dragger's trick to show that he is a "mad drifter" :rolleyes: . Front drive cars CAN'T drift (they ass-drag), only AWD and rear drive cars can drift. The propultion has to come from the rear wheels to drift, and to keep it going as well.

Ok.... what you basically do is put the trays under the rear wheels on your FF car, pull the handbrake all the way up, and slide around. Since the friction between the tires and the trays is greater than the friction between the trays and the road, the trays will stay under your wheels (wood works better i've heard). you will burn holes in the trays real quick though....

Originally posted by drifter_x

Yes :D but only in the snow, rain, and dirt (i don't wanna blow money on new tires all the time)...

and pointer at drifting?

Yes.... keep it off the street!!! If there is no track near you, I would suggest drifting in an empty parking lot or abandoned road. Watch out for stunting tickets though :(

cappachihngo
03-02-2004, 12:26 AM
you can drift a FF.. its hard thou.. but "where there's a will, there's a way"

Redlyne_mr2
03-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Yah with the sw20 you really have to know how far sideways you can take the car and for how long. It's diffinitely not a forgiving car. Obviously inertia kicks in and all the weight in the back from the engine wants to keep going meanwhile youre trying to keep the cars sideways and then straighten it out for the exit. Hehe I got really good at changing gears while spinning 360s so that I could drive right out of it. Took me some practice to learn where the sweet spot for drifting is.

Tuner1
03-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Bring your MR2 over, I'll show you how it can drift :poosie:

You can "drift" just about anything, but obviously some cars are more balanced and easier to do it in.

Quite seriously though, I think 99% of the people on this list (or this city for that matter!) should stop worrying about the type of car for drifting and worry about the driving skill required. If you can't drift a Chev P/U or '84 318i don't bother stressing about the equippment!

Rob

rage2
03-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by E36S50B32

You can "drift" just about anything, but obviously some cars are more balanced and easier to do it in.

Quite seriously though, I think 99% of the people on this list (or this city for that matter!) should stop worrying about the type of car for drifting and worry about the driving skill required. If you can't drift a Chev P/U or '84 318i don't bother stressing about the equippment!
haha, man, been wanting to say something like that for a while now lol.

SpoonEK9@STRD
03-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by E36S50B32

Rob

amen! "I cant drift, my cars to slow" ahah

RickDaTuner
03-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9

amen! "I cant drift, my cars to slow" ahah Drifting is definitly not about Power, a power over Drift is when you need power, but heck you can drift a 96 Hp RWD car for all you car and I agree that if you cant Drift a truck then you shouldnt be worrying abouta nything more than learning proper teqniuqe(sp) {i need school}

cappachihngo
03-03-2004, 01:01 AM
u can drift a truck.... its just that ur chances of flipping it is a lot higher.. did i say a lot?? i meant ALOT... lol

Inthered
03-03-2004, 07:52 PM

and pointer at drifting?

This is your first post and you want to talk about drifting?:rolleyes: Oh god, here we go again.

Inthered
03-03-2004, 07:55 PM
what kind of car do you own? Is it ff, rwd, or awd?

It takes alot of skill to pull off a good drift on dry pavement. Practise makes perfect though.

jdms13rhd
03-04-2004, 12:25 AM
ff can drift. gum tape death match. if anybody knows what that is you know what i mean, And yes i know its not real but its sooooo cool:)

jdms13rhd
03-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Also you can drift a ff low hp car. When my friends and i go out on the weekend one of my friends drifts a non turbo shadow on wet road or a spot of gravle. We have a mini stick of deoderent shuved in the foot break so it just comes back. If nobody believs me i will post a pic. You just faint it really hard. Looks funny too:thumbsup:

hjr
03-04-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by jdms13rhd
We have a mini stick of deoderent shuved in the foot break so it just comes back. If nobody believs me i will post a pic. You just faint it really hard. Looks funny too:thumbsup: well at least your trying to get the lingo correct :thumbsup: but you are wrong :thumbsdow in the end. You dont want to faint into the corner, then you would be unconscious and thats no fun. I believe you meant: inertia drift/pendulum turn/scandanavian flick/feint drift. Its also easier if you just use the handbrake like everyone else did when they were 16 (sorry, your not the first to figure out how to 'drift' around a FF car.)

cappachihngo
03-04-2004, 01:41 AM
been there done that, but handbrakes on a FF??? u sure u know wut ur talking about??

"inertia drift/pendulum turn/scandanavian flick/feint drift"???

aren't we talking about FFs??? cuz FFs can't do most those moves... believe me, i've tried and failed on a FF.. but AWD and FR.... hehe.... :hitit:

Cueman
03-04-2004, 10:09 AM
jdms13rhd,

Back in 1999 I went to UofL and used to meet in the valley with a couple of 240sx owners. You wouldn't have been one of those guys would you?

I drove a grey AE86 at the time. Lethbridge still has the best backroads ever...

hjr
03-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by cappachihngo
been there done that, but handbrakes on a FF??? u sure u know wut ur talking about??

"inertia drift/pendulum turn/scandanavian flick/feint drift"???

aren't we talking about FFs??? cuz FFs can't do most those moves... believe me, i've tried and failed on a FF.. but AWD and FR.... hehe.... :hitit: just cause you failed, doesnt mean that it cant be done. just cause you have never hear of it, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. sorry to be blunt but your statement shows that you basically know nothing in this area.

I am not a drift king myself, i can admit that, but i do know a little bit about driving in that fashion. Not technically drifting, but rallying does involve many of the same techniques for obvious reasons.

Hollywood
03-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
Even monkeys fall out of trees

"Even monkeys fall out of trees"

- Drift King

Drift bible movie.

Nice Rick!

I'm not too interested in drifting even though I have the car/setup for it. But I do want to try it, just to try it, I have a set of stock wheels/tires begging to get beat up.:D

cappachihngo
03-05-2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood

"Even monkeys fall out of trees"

- Drift King

Drift bible movie.

lol, i remember that

cappachihngo
03-05-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by hjr
just cause you failed, doesnt mean that it cant be done. just cause you have never hear of it, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. sorry to be blunt but your statement shows that you basically know nothing in this area.

I am not a drift king myself, i can admit that, but i do know a little bit about driving in that fashion. Not technically drifting, but rallying does involve many of the same techniques for obvious reasons.

wut i meant was e-brakes on a FF = not useful, i've hear of all those techniques, studied them, some of those moves can't be done on FF due to the nature of the car, but i would agree that some could, but its just hard.. and not knowing wut i'm talking about??? i've been to japan and done it wit the real guys and not sum american wannabe (no offence or anything there)

and yes i don't know everything, or else y would i waste my time here:dunno: :dunno:

o btw i didn't really fail cuz i've done those on FRs and AWDs

hjr
03-05-2004, 10:17 AM

wut i meant was e-brakes on a FF = not useful, i've hear of all those techniques, studied them, some of those moves can't be done on FF due to the nature of the car, but i would agree that some could, but its just hard.. and not knowing wut i'm talking about??? i've been to japan and done it wit the real guys and not sum american wannabe (no offence or anything there)

and yes i don't know everything, or else y would i waste my time here:dunno: :dunno:

o btw i didn't really fail cuz i've done those on FRs and AWDs fair enough, from you statement you seem to have a very limited knowledge, but i will take you on you word.
I still dont agree that it cant be done due to the nature of the car (i have accidently 'drifted' my FF car before). I have also uses the feint drift in an ff car (granted on a loose surface) but again, saying it cant be done is not accurate. Now im not saying that you can make a ff car into a drift mobile, cause i dont feel you can, but i just dont totally agree with your statement. But no hard feelings dude, just a friendly debate.

Hollywood
03-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Drifting and FWD are just two things that do not go together.

Sure you can try to imitatate but it's just not the same. It's almost try hard'ish IMO.:burnout:

M3STIMini
03-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Lets just say that people who have been doing it for 20 years don't bother to even attempt to drift in a FF car...

awddrifter
03-05-2004, 09:56 PM
FF = ass dragging. AWD and Rear drive cars (FR, MR, RR) = Drifting. Any questions? :D

method
03-05-2004, 10:15 PM
if you cant left foot brake a FWD car into rotating, you suck at driving.

drifting is sliding a car to orientate properly to exit a turn. tons of RWD cars get e-braked into slides, especially in events like gymkhana.. so how are FWD not 'drifting'

I too once thought that only rwd cars could 'drift', but then I actually learned something.

in any event where 'drifting' is the main spectacle, I can't take it seriously. it's just a bunch of guys having fun, like a home run derby or a burnout contest.

if you think you're a 'drifter' because you power out of a corner and slide the ass around, you're not any more of a drifter than the people in FWD that pull ebrakes around parking lot corners.

I saw the light... drifting is nothing to take seriously.

hjr
03-05-2004, 10:17 PM
i feel i should clarify

Originally posted by Hollywood
Drifting and FWD are just two things that do not go together.

Sure you can try to imitatate but it's just not the same. It's almost try hard'ish IMO.:burnout: fair enough. i dont know anyone who 'drifts' a ff car. i have a serious question though, say you are rallying in a ff car right, and you loose traction on the rear from e-brake or pendulum or whatever, what do you call it?

Originally posted by M3STIMini
Lets just say that people who have been doing it for 20 years don't bother to even attempt to drift in a FF car... that was not even close to the point at all. thanks though.

Originally posted by awddrifter
FF = ass dragging. AWD and Rear drive cars (FR, MR, RR) = Drifting. Any questions? :D just 1, refer to the first part of my post. im not using drift in the same sence that you are i think.

awddrifter
03-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by method
if you cant left foot brake a FWD car into rotating, you suck at driving.

drifting is sliding a car to orientate properly to exit a turn. tons of RWD cars get e-braked into slides, especially in events like gymkhana.. so how are FWD not 'drifting'

I too once thought that only rwd cars could 'drift', but then I actually learned something.

in any event where 'drifting' is the main spectacle, I can't take it seriously. it's just a bunch of guys having fun, like a home run derby or a burnout contest.

if you think you're a 'drifter' because you power out of a corner and slide the ass around, you're not any more of a drifter than the people in FWD that pull ebrakes around parking lot corners.

I saw the light... drifting is nothing to take seriously.

Ah well... you have your interpretation, I have mine :)

You might think that going into a corner sideways and coming out straight is drifting (as do I), and sure an FF can do that. But the method in which it is done in an FF is different than AWD and FR... which is why I call it "ass dragging", because thats exactly what the FF car is doing, it can't propel its rear wheels like an AWD and FR car can, and is only dragging the rear end with either left foot braking or side brake... sure some RWD cars get e-braked into slides, but that is only to initiate the drift (or for the start of a long side-brake drift), RWD cars use throttle control to keep the drift going. If you use the throttle for control in an FF ass drag, its hello outside wall :rofl:

I'd like to see an FF car take a series of linked corners sideways and keep its speed up :D

and you loose traction on the rear from e-brake or pendulum or whatever, what do you call it?

That's ass dragging ;)

I guess it all depends on how you interpet exactly what "drifting" is and the method of how it is done :dunno:

jdms13rhd
03-06-2004, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cueman
[B]jdms13rhd,

Back in 1999 I went to UofL and used to meet in the valley with a couple of 240sx owners. You wouldn't have been one of those guys would you?

I drove a grey AE86 at the time. Lethbridge still has the best backroads ever...
Ummmm. no it was not me but it might have been some of my friends. I dont think i even had my licence back then. Do you remember their names?

finboy
03-06-2004, 03:47 PM
*insert video of drifting ef civic here*

Hollywood
03-06-2004, 08:57 PM
These "ifs" and "cans" of FF drifting does not really matter, they just dont belong in drifting.

It's like rappers. Black people do it the best hands down, but yes a few whites can do it ie:eminem is and exception. FF cars in drifting is equivilent to Vanila Ice and Marky Mark.......!This is reality.

cappachihngo
03-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by hjr
fair enough, from you statement you seem to have a very limited knowledge, but i will take you on you word.
I still dont agree that it cant be done due to the nature of the car (i have accidently 'drifted' my FF car before). I have also uses the feint drift in an ff car (granted on a loose surface) but again, saying it cant be done is not accurate. Now im not saying that you can make a ff car into a drift mobile, cause i dont feel you can, but i just dont totally agree with your statement. But no hard feelings dude, just a friendly debate.

ya no hard feeling man, i partly agree with u, but i just dont think its possible to feint a FF on dry pavement, but hey, this is a forum after all rite??? So go nuts, lol

As for those who wanted to see a drifting EG, or EK, i think there was a post a while back wit a brake drifting EG... i've seen it been done in the Japanses GT races, but its not really "true drifting" (and i use those words carefully), because u can't do a series of drifts, yes u can probably do a corner or 2, but then u loose speed due to the nature of the car... the only move i've seen done on a FF is braking, i haven't seen any feints, lift-offs or power-overs yet..

althought i've heard u can feint a FF, none of my friends from japan and hong kong nor any of their hook ups has successfully done a feint on a FF, some came close, but it was basically caused by a lost of control/bad exit from the previous corner.. as for myself, i've brake drift a FF b4, as for the feints and etc.. unsuccessful:(

if anyone has prove (as in a vid) that a FF feint is possible, then by all means post it and enlighten me

finboy
03-07-2004, 12:08 AM
http://www3.telus.net/public/manhing/drift.gif

found it

GTS Jeff
03-07-2004, 12:44 AM
i just dont think its possible to feint a FF on dry pavement

it was basically caused by a lost of control/bad exit from the previous corner.. hahaha wtf i dont see why ppl bother replying to u.

wtf do u think a feint is??!?!?!? its turning hard enough that your rear loses control...

ive rode shotgun with hjr many times when hes done this. and of course he didnt say "omg im a drifter!!" like some newbie-beyond-ass.

Inthered
03-07-2004, 03:02 PM
^^^^^hahahahaha

I've driven sideways in my integ before (gotta love the onramp onto Deerfoot northbound from Southland), but I never thought I was drifting....just driving like a punk.:rofl:

awddrifter
03-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
hahaha wtf i dont see why ppl bother replying to u.

wtf do u think a feint is??!?!?!? its turning hard enough that your rear loses control...

acutally... thats not feint... a feint drift is "rocking the car towards the outside of a turn and then using the rebound of grip to throw the car into the normal cornering direction."

The animated gif of the civic above is either left foot braking inducing an ass drag, or using the side brake (i can't tell since you can't see if the rear wheels get locked up). By the line the civic takes and the smoke from the rear wheels, its my guess that he used the side brake :)

rage2
03-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Alright, here's my take on FWD dry pavement drifiting.

Back in the early 90's, I was an idiot, and experimented with this "on a private course" ;). I had a 323 hatchback, and had bald winter tires out back and grippy new tires up front to reduce the feeling of understeer and help turnin. If I enter a corner at a specific speed and the right amount of trail braking (there's a single speed for every different corner), the ass would kick out, and I would be able to throttle control a drift around the entire corner... less throttle the ass would slide out more, more throttle and the ass would come back in line a little more (weight transfer). All done without the ebrake. I think I managed 4 "perfect drifts" in 5 years before the tranny died on that car.

The reason a RWD can drift so much more easily and more controlled is because you can control the amount of traction loss to the rear wheels with the throttle... the basis of drifting. A FWD car can't accurate control the rear traction/traction loss rate, therefore it makes it a non ideal drift car (e-brake doesn't classify as accurate). It doesn't make it IMPOSSIBLE though, with the right tire selection, you can control rear grip/traction loss by the amount of G forces upon the rear tires. You can also dictate the amount of grip available by weight transfer... although there's only a small window that you can really work with. So in my case, I'm controlling the rear grip by dictating speed/g-force at entry and modulating it using a combination of speed changes, as well as weight transfer. This will work for single corners with a lot of practice... add multiple corners into the equation, and it'll get a lot tougher, if not impossible :).

Oh, and since tires grip differently when temperatures change, being consistent is sorta tough. RWD, just pick amount of throttle and get a feel for grip level, and adjust from there. In other words, stick with RWD for drifting.

Inthered
03-07-2004, 04:45 PM
In other words, stick with RWD for drifting.

:werd:

GTS Jeff
03-07-2004, 05:19 PM

acutally... thats not feint... a feint drift is "rocking the car towards the outside of a turn and then using the rebound of grip to throw the car into the normal cornering direction."

The animated gif of the civic above is either left foot braking inducing an ass drag, or using the side brake (i can't tell since you can't see if the rear wheels get locked up). By the line the civic takes and the smoke from the rear wheels, its my guess that he used the side brake :) i think im going to follow my own advice and not bother replying.

cappachihngo
03-08-2004, 12:18 AM

The animated gif of the civic above is either left foot braking inducing an ass drag, or using the side brake (i can't tell since you can't see if the rear wheels get locked up). By the line the civic takes and the smoke from the rear wheels, its my guess that he used the side brake :)

Originally posted by rage2

Alright, here's my take on FWD dry pavement drifiting.

Back in the early 90's, I was an idiot, and experimented with this "on a private course" . I had a 323 hatchback, and had bald winter tires out back and grippy new tires up front to reduce the feeling of understeer and help turnin. If I enter a corner at a specific speed and the right amount of trail braking (there's a single speed for every different corner), the ass would kick out, and I would be able to throttle control a drift around the entire corner... less throttle the ass would slide out more, more throttle and the ass would come back in line a little more (weight transfer). All done without the ebrake.

rage and awddrifter basically said it all

Lo)2enz0
03-19-2004, 11:40 PM
well i just ran across this thread, but when it comes to drifting do it in a controlled area. You should always be prepaired with an extra set of tires because driving home on tires that are almost slicks just doesn't cut it. Ihave to say, I have learned my leason when it comes to drifting. I have been into it since I was almost 16 and I crashed my first car power sliding ( fwd drifting), than with my 240sx last year I went through a brand new set of toyo proxes, rotors, calipers brake pads, front control arm, 2 clutches, and to top it off an empty wallet for mods because I had to keep getting repairs. since than I have gotten a ca18det swap (with bov and sidemount intercooler) and a s13 front conversion with r32 gtr style grill and kings motor sport front bumper. this all happened in the past 5 months because I wasn't spending all of my money on repairs. so for all of you new guys to drifting, wait till the drift school in july and keep it off the street because it will not just save you money but you will also keep the streets a little safer for the people comming around the corner.

Laurier