PDA

View Full Version : Apple in talks to buy Beats for $3.2B

roopi
05-09-2014, 09:50 AM
I couldn't see Steve Jobs ever doing this...

Iphone with a set of Beats only going to cost you $1200. :rofl:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101655459

CapnCrunch
05-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by roopi
I couldn't see Steve Jobs ever doing this...

Iphone with a set of Beats only going to cost you $1200. :rofl:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101655459

Sweet. Now you'll need to buy new "Apple" headphones, or a $90 headphone jack adaptor if you want to keep your old ones.

Neil4Speed
05-09-2014, 10:26 AM
The fuck? 3.2B?! for a shitty headphone brand?

supe
05-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Say goodbye to the 3.5 mm jack and hello to a proprietary one. Of course you can buy a $40 adapter.

themack89
05-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
The fuck? 3.2B?! for a shitty headphone brand?

Shitty or not... everyone knows the red b means expensive and trendy. Just like the Apple products, just like the Canadian Goose jackets.

95EG6P
05-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by supe
Say goodbye to the 3.5 mm jack and hello to a proprietary one. Of course you can buy a $40 adapter.
:werd:

DeleriousZ
05-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Overpriced garbage buying more overpriced garbage. Sweet :thumbsup:

ercchry
05-09-2014, 10:41 AM
wow, its like the dot com boom all over again in silicon valley :nut:

well, at least dre is white guy wealthy now :rofl:

Sugarphreak
05-09-2014, 11:01 AM

Xtrema
05-09-2014, 11:07 AM
$3.2B is chum change for Apple.

I don't think they will get away from 3.5mm but they will have special Apple versions that claim to be better than everyone else.

civic_stylez
05-09-2014, 11:17 AM
HTC owned 51% of beats for 300m not that long ago. Just recently sold its share back to beats at a profit of 115M. Surprised that Apple would do this for that price unless they have a huge plan to revamp/reintroduce the brand with their phones. I cant picture steve jobs ever standing beside lil wayne all grilled out looking like a goof repping the brand...

http://assets-s3.rollingstone.com/assets/images/blog_entry/1000x600/64d8fb488c214869b7fb7ff612ae12faa8102746.jpg

Mitsu3000gt
05-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I was rather confused by this. Beats doesn't seem like something apple would want to be associated with. Beats is a well known brand but their products are also known to be overpriced garbage, and Apple likes to market themselves as "high end". Seems like a super weird match.

roopi
05-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I was rather confused by this. Beats doesn't seem like something apple would want to be associated with. Beats is a well known brand but their products are also known to be overpriced garbage, and Apple likes to market themselves as "high end". Seems like a super weird match.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic with this. It would be the perfect match. They are both overpriced for what you get.

ZEDGE
05-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Over priced hardware company buys over priced hardware company.

:poosie:

Agree.

ndhal417
05-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Apple could do a lot with Beats. They'll probably integrate Beats Audio in all the phones, tablets, laptops, and TVs (if they ever make one). Also they can keep Beats away from competitors who use beats audio in their products.

kenny
05-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Looks like Apple is acquiring a ton of companies for a big push. Nike dropping their fuelband, so possibility of Apple integrating it as part of their next wearable with Nike helping with the software side.

Apple is probably acquiring Beats for their online music service and not their headphones. Probably integrate it as part of their iTunes radio?

They also hired the guy in charge of the Nokia cameras.

Smart move with all the $ they have, acquire all the good tech out there to keep it out of the hands of competitors.

Arash Boodagh
05-09-2014, 12:26 PM
edit - kenny beat me to it.

I think Dre was also going to start a streaming music thing which would compete with iTunes I imagine... this is why they probably paid so much for it.

clem24
05-09-2014, 01:28 PM
For a heck of a lot less than $3.2B, Apple probably could've hired the best headphone engineers in the world and develop and market Apple branded cans to iSheep that would probably sound better than Beats.

Although really, with the cash they have, they can buy all of the headphone makers in existence and create a monopoly.

D'z Nutz
05-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by clem24
For a heck of a lot less than $3.2B, Apple probably could've hired the best headphone engineers in the world and develop and market Apple branded cans to iSheep that would probably sound better than Beats.

Although really, with the cash they have, they can buy all of the headphone makers in existence and create a monopoly.

That's true, but they're also buying an established brand name, regardless of how crappy they are.

bourge73
05-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

That's true, but they're also buying an established brand name, regardless of how crappy they are.

Exactly and one with strong sales, huge profit margins and a large customer base.

sabad66
05-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Are Beats headphones really that crappy? Has anyone used them lately? I can't imagine they are as shitty as everyone is making them.

Hate apple all you want, but they aren't stupid enough to pay 3.2B for a low quality headphone company.

Xtrema
05-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Are Beats headphones really that crappy? Has anyone used them lately? I can't imagine they are as shitty as everyone is making them.

Hate apple all you want, but they aren't stupid enough to pay 3.2B for a low quality headphone company.

They paid $3.2B for a mediocre headphone company that run strictly on brand, not substance.

Perfect match for Apple, IMO.

roopi
05-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

I have a pair from when they first came out and I still use them to this day. They aren't the greatest but for the price you would expect them to be better.

clem24
05-09-2014, 04:19 PM
They aren't the greatest but for the price you would expect them to be better.

Haha bingo. $50 to actually buy the headphone, $250 for the name. Thing is that many people are just too lazy to research something better.

I am not quite sure how Beats fits Apple's image. Their products don't even have the same design language. And my big questions is, is Beats really worth $3.7B?!? That's a huge number. Sure Apple doesn't care but I can't help but feel it's probably over valued. I guess if you're Dr. Dre, you're grinning from ear to ear. Pretty good businessman, especially considering the genius of the original deal with Monster.

sabad66
05-09-2014, 04:25 PM
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/05/are-beats-by-dr-dre-headphones-worth-the-money/index.htm

According to that, sound quality is actually pretty good (especially for bassy music), but if you don't care about looks then you can get something equivalent-sounding for a lot cheaper. Not really accurate to call them shitty/low quality.

So overall decent specs/sound quality but you pay more for aesthetics/build quality/brand name. Sounds exactly like Apple (as everyone has mentioned).

D'z Nutz
05-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Pretty good businessman, especially considering the genius of the original deal with Monster.

Maybe the $3.2B transaction breaks down to $1.2B cash and $2B in leftover Monster HDMI cables, which doesn't work out to be a lot consider how overpriced they are hahaha

davidI
05-09-2014, 09:12 PM
I think the valuation is based on a) Apple trying to buy some 'cool' back, even though I never understood why Beats became popular myself; and b) from my understanding the beats streaming service is pretty well set-up with lots of record label licensing and such already sorted.

From my understanding, record companies don't really like Apple so this may be a cheap way for Apple to get into the music streaming business and compete with Pandora and Google Play and all that.

msommers
05-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Beats probably became popular because they came in some many different colours. And had "sick bass"

Mitsu3000gt
05-09-2014, 09:59 PM

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic with this. It would be the perfect match. They are both overpriced for what you get.

I wasn't being sarcastic, IMO Apple is overpriced and the quality sucks, but they market themselves as high-end. Perception is everything, which is why I'm surprised they're even looking at garbage like Beats. Then again, perhaps it's genius - the people who are sold on Beats are probably super easy targets for Apple. Maybe they win? Haha.

J.M.
05-09-2014, 11:50 PM
It's all about the sick bass brahs

roopi
05-10-2014, 02:52 AM

I wasn't being sarcastic, IMO Apple is overpriced and the quality sucks, but they market themselves as high-end. Perception is everything, which is why I'm surprised they're even looking at garbage like Beats. Then again, perhaps it's genius - the people who are sold on Beats are probably super easy targets for Apple. Maybe they win? Haha.

Beats markets themselves as high end as well. They are overpriced and the quality does suck for the price. Perfect fit then. :dunno:

VWEvo
05-10-2014, 09:57 AM
My favorite is the fact that everyone here thinks that these multi billion dollar companies are idiots. In the meantime half of you live in your parents basement. Clearly Apple sees something that most of us (me included) are too dumb to see.

JRSC00LUDE
05-10-2014, 10:20 AM
:werd: If someone is spending $3 billion dollars, they likely have a plan to make ten more.

Tik-Tok
05-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Are they buying it with cash, or a lifetime supply of gin and juice?

Originally posted by davidI

From my understanding, record companies don't really like Apple so this may be a cheap way for Apple to get into the music streaming business and compete with Pandora and Google Play and all that.

:werd: I guarantee it's mostly about the streaming music.

supe
05-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by VWEvo
My favorite is the fact that everyone here thinks that these multi billion dollar companies are idiots. In the meantime half of you live in your parents basement. Clearly Apple sees something that most of us (me included) are too dumb to see.

This is so demeaning... to yourself! Just because Apple is holding the cards it doesn't mean they have a winning hand.

KuruptEX
05-10-2014, 12:18 PM
A lot of people are looking at the hardware side of things. However Beats also has a huge subscription based music streaming down in the states. Which could be something to rival programs like spotify.

eatrice
05-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Much better than whatsapp for $19B...

sexualbanana
05-11-2014, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
wow, its like the dot com boom all over again in silicon valley :nut:

well, at least dre is white guy wealthy now :rofl:

It makes Dre the 2nd wealthiest man in hip-hop, second to Diddy.

Graham_A_M
05-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Its a gamble for Apple to change the 3.5mm jack, its honestly an industry standard the world over, to make it so you can only use those headphones with apple products, or at least with a costly adapter will likely kill any real interest people would have in these headphones.

Its not worth the risk IMO.

Weapon_R
05-11-2014, 07:21 PM
[Dre] leapfrogged the latter on this year’s Forbes Five thanks to a large stake in Beats By Dr. Dre, which he cofounded with Interscope chief Jimmy Iovine in 2008.

The company controls an astounding two-thirds of the premium headphone market, with annual sales reportedly in excess of $1 billion and growing. Private equity firm Carlyle invested $500 million for a minority stake last year, pushing Beats’ value past $1 billion and likely closer to $2 billion.. Forbes

Somehow, I think apple will be okay with this purchase.

rage2
05-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Its a gamble for Apple to change the 3.5mm jack, its honestly an industry standard the world over, to make it so you can only use those headphones with apple products, or at least with a costly adapter will likely kill any real interest people would have in these headphones.

Its not worth the risk IMO.
It's just Apple haters trolling lol. They're not going to buy Beats to change the 3.5mm jack lol.

DeleriousZ
05-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Since when were beats 'premium' headphones. lol

rage2
05-12-2014, 08:22 AM
I still chuckle when you step back and look at the big picture, and realize that Apple is paying $3.2b to a founding member of NWA haha.

clem24
05-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Maybe the $3.2B transaction breaks down to $1.2B cash and $2B in leftover Monster HDMI cables, which doesn't work out to be a lot consider how overpriced they are hahaha

Beats has nothing to do with Monster. In fact Monster has stopped producing Beats for about 2 years now. That was genius of the deal - Dr. Dre and whoever else basically kept everything - rights to the name, design, etc... And Monster designed and marketed everything.

Here's a good read about how Dr. Dre screwed over Monster:

http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world

clem24
05-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Since when were beats 'premium' headphones. lol

When you charge $150-$450, that makes them premium. Granted they aren't terrible headphones per se, just not worth the price of admission. The Beats Studios should be sold closer to $150. The Beats Executives are actually decent sounding cans, but not $450 good (more like $250 at most).

Same reason why people buy Bose. Not a terrible product per se but overpriced.

faiz999
05-12-2014, 09:44 AM
never understood how beats got so famous, but i guess they were just that luxury brand that was the most recognizable, rather than the best.

that being said, i have a pair, sound quality is good, build quality is meh (got in 2009, newer ones should be improved) and overall i was never a fan of the battery operated noise cancelling.

def overpriced but not a bad purchase for a noob who wants studio quality sound. you can get better sound quality for a better price if you look hard enough but most ppl are too lazy for that.

i guess beats was really good at product placement, b/c literally every high profile athlete has been rocking one in the pre-game walk from the bus for some time now.

r3ccOs
05-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Beats really are awful... this doesn't excuse Sony nor Blose neither

Blose QC15(s) and their new line of bluetooth speakers are the only impressive products they've ever released.

Sony knows how to make good headphones... they've had a good range of professionals (MDRV6/MDR7506) and things like their king of headphones (R10) and CDR3000

but Beats are awful, but have had better marketing syndication than probably any other headphone product I've ever seen.

Its not suprising that Apple is going to capitalize its goodwill & brandpower.... hopefully they actually turn this company into a "Decent" audio company

rage2
05-12-2014, 10:00 AM
I actually don't mind Beats Studio, but even I agree they're overpriced to hell. I bought a set to do the audio mix work for the Beyond 10 year video, and I really liked them, just not the price. I promptly Chinese refunded those fuckers back to futureshop haha.

I use Sennheiser's now, way better sound, about the same money.

r3ccOs
05-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I actually don't mind Beats Studio, but even I agree they're overpriced to hell. I bought a set to do the audio mix work for the Beyond 10 year video, and I really liked them, just not the price. I promptly Chinese refunded those fuckers back to futureshop haha.

I use Sennheiser's now, way better sound, about the same money.

Sennheiser/AKG/Beyerdynamic are the kings in space of studio recording equipment.

clem24
05-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

Blose QC15(s) and their new line of bluetooth speakers are the only impressive products they've ever released.

Sony knows how to make good headphones... they've had a good range of professionals (MDRV6/MDR7506) and things like their king of headphones (R10) and CDR3000

but Beats are awful, but have had better marketing syndication than probably any other headphone product I've ever seen.

Have you actually auditioned the Pros and the Executives? Like I said, the pros aren't THAT bad and the Executives actually sound decent.

Same goes for Bose.. Their AE1 and AE2s are easily the *most* comfortable pair of headphones I've ever put on my head, and they don't sound that bad - very colored but pleasing. When it comes to headphones, comfort is one of the first things I look for - if they are uncomfortable, I will not use them no matter how good they sound. If I ever come across an AE2 for about $80, I'd buy it. But not $130 or whatever they're asking now.

Beyers are about the worst for comfort... It's like putting a vise on my head LOL.

r3ccOs
05-12-2014, 11:33 AM

Have you actually auditioned the Pros and the Executives? Like I said, the pros aren't THAT bad and the Executives actually sound decent.

Same goes for Bose.. Their AE1 and AE2s are easily the *most* comfortable pair of headphones I've ever put on my head, and they don't sound that bad - very colored but pleasing. When it comes to headphones, comfort is one of the first things I look for - if they are uncomfortable, I will not use them no matter how good they sound. If I ever come across an AE2 for about $80, I'd buy it. But not $130 or whatever they're asking now.

Beyers are about the worst for comfort... It's like putting a vise on my head LOL.

Clem, I tried the Pro's and have listened to QC3 and AE2s as well as the QC15

in short... they all fair well below the price tag their asking for.

Asides from the QC15 (which are nice), I'd take a pair of Audio-Technica ACN7, let alone the new N9 anyday, and can be found substantially cheaper for that "NC application"

I myself am using Martin Logan Mykros 90's on a custom amp which sounds termendous and these cans were $80 on newegg.ca

there are just so many better headphones out there, and when it comes down to comfort? I really like the Beyers... the 770s, 1350s were fine to me and in all honesty nothing beats Sennheisers 650 or AKG 701s for comfort and quality for the price

I'd be willing to bet that the $30 pair of Koss Porta-pros beats the Beats in SQ

problem is, Dr. Dre ain't promoting Koss, Beyer, Shure, AT etc..

clem24
05-13-2014, 02:17 PM
I myself am using Martin Logan Mykros 90's on a custom amp which sounds termendous and these cans were $80 on newegg.ca

there are just so many better headphones out there, and when it comes down to comfort? I really like the Beyers... the 770s, 1350s were fine to me and in all honesty nothing beats Sennheisers 650 or AKG 701s for comfort and quality for the price

I'd be willing to bet that the $30 pair of Koss Porta-pros beats the Beats in SQ

I've owned Porta-pros before I gave them to my bro-in-law. They punch way above their price/weight class. But I wouldn't say they're better than Beats - they were simply different. I've had 702s before but got rid of them because they were boring as hell LOL.

My current go-to's are definitely the Denon D5000. Perfect comfort, and sounds fantastic.. best way to describe them is like 'home cooking' - there are better but these just sound perfect to me.

My other go-to's at work are the Logitech UE6000. These sound absolutely amazing for $200 (and for closed cans), even better when they can regularly be found for $70-$80 on sale. Actually I bought these after I had the Beats for a few weeks and returned them LOL. The UE6000's are basically what the Beats SHOULD sound like - slightly less bass than the Beats in 'active' mode (yes I love 'deep' bass LOL), perfect blend of mids and highs (where the Beats has recessed mids), and also works in passive mode unlike the Beats.

Graham_A_M
05-13-2014, 05:50 PM

Sennheiser/AKG/Beyerdynamic are the kings in space of studio recording equipment.

This, I was just going to say, I had an expensive pair of Sennheiser`s, and no headphones I`ll ever listen to will compare with the sound quality, wow.
:eek:

The bass was so clean & crisp, it almost didn`t sound like `Bass` per se` lol.

r3ccOs
05-13-2014, 06:06 PM

I've owned Porta-pros before I gave them to my bro-in-law. They punch way above their price/weight class. But I wouldn't say they're better than Beats - they were simply different. I've had 702s before but got rid of them because they were boring as hell LOL.

My current go-to's are definitely the Denon D5000. Perfect comfort, and sounds fantastic.. best way to describe them is like 'home cooking' - there are better but these just sound perfect to me.

My other go-to's at work are the Logitech UE6000. These sound absolutely amazing for $200 (and for closed cans), even better when they can regularly be found for $70-$80 on sale. Actually I bought these after I had the Beats for a few weeks and returned them LOL. The UE6000's are basically what the Beats SHOULD sound like - slightly less bass than the Beats in 'active' mode (yes I love 'deep' bass LOL), perfect blend of mids and highs (where the Beats has recessed mids), and also works in passive mode unlike the Beats.

logitec has been in the business of buying high end boutique companies such as UE(s) and Squeezebox, but they do kill them eventually :(

the AKG701/702 with a proper Amp is memorizing... if you don't have a quality amp and source, they are worse than mediocre.

frizzlefry
05-13-2014, 06:41 PM

I will agree that for sound quality Bose has diluted their reputation with cheaper, inferior speakers. Like that commercial for the grandma approved sound wave tube thing. If you want to spend mega bucks their high end full size speaker stuff is decent but there are better brands.

In terms of earbuds they make ok sounding ones, not worth the money for the sound quality but they don't get muddy so its not crap. But what makes them worth it IMO is the fit. I have a pair of IE2s and they do not fall out. Ever. And I forget I have them in. Sound not muddy, don't fall out, comfortable....how they fit and feel makes them worth 120 bucks.

Arash Boodagh
05-13-2014, 07:02 PM
These headphones can also be compared to designer clothes... people get it for quality and status.

Semi related song
5Nhcv6Ho3ic
Direct link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nhcv6Ho3ic

These guys were the background music to some aspects of Americas realities in the 90's. Eazy-e would've made a lot of influence too.

n1zm0
05-14-2014, 08:13 AM
http://i.imgur.com/fAYbdj5.png

:rofl:

rage2
05-14-2014, 08:31 AM
HNIC hahaha

clem24
05-14-2014, 09:45 AM

logitec has been in the business of buying high end boutique companies such as UE(s) and Squeezebox, but they do kill them eventually :(

the AKG701/702 with a proper Amp is memorizing... if you don't have a quality amp and source, they are worse than mediocre.

Yeah Squeezebox is dead but it's hard to blame them on this one.. I've got 2 in my house and still using them. They are fantastic little units. I've also got UE Triple fi. 10s which are amazing little buds. Hopefully they develop the brand more because the UE6000s which were one of the first released under Logitech ownership truly are amazing cans.

Trust me I've got a good setup.. Yes they sound incredible for $300 cans but they're boring as hell.

duaner
05-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Done deal:

http://money.ca.msn.com/investing/news/business-news/apple-seeks-to-regain-cool-with-dollar3b-beats-buy

kenny
06-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Shouldn't be long before a set of Beats comes out with lightning connector:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/04/lightning-headphone-spec/

civic_stylez
06-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Im using the new US based Beats Streaming Audio service and I must admit, its pretty cool. Every artist, album and song. Like a big mashup of 8tracks and Tunein Radio but more custom to exactly what im after. I see what apple is going to do with this.

benyl
06-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
Im using the new US based Beats Streaming Audio service and I must admit, its pretty cool. Every artist, album and song. Like a big mashup of 8tracks and Tunein Radio but more custom to exactly what im after. I see what apple is going to do with this.

Do you need to run VPN or unblock us to use it, or just for signup?