PDA

View Full Version : New Small Business Advice

ormhelmanuel
05-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Hey fellow beyonders,

I am in the process of starting up a small cleaning business. It is called Pristine Clean YYC which I had the hopes of being the first university student run cleaning business. I have found it incredibly hard getting cleaning bids(contracts), I have sent numerous emails, and done cold-calling. Any tips from anyone here would be great.

Ormhel.

GTS4tw
05-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Seems like there is already a Pristine Clean in Calgary, run by someone named Erin? And a much bigger one in Barrie Ont. And a company called Pristine Cleaning that has the top spot on Google when you look for "pristine clean calgary" Might want to start with something more original. :dunno:

ormhelmanuel
05-09-2014, 06:20 PM
I had not come across the one run in Calgary. Formal name is Pristine Clean YYC. Regardless, thanks for your input, i'll keep that in mind.

Ormhel

Zhariak
05-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by ormhelmanuel
I had not come across the one run in Calgary. Formal name is Pristine Clean YYC. Regardless, thanks for your input, i'll keep that in mind.

Ormhel

Hmm, the other company should have shown up in your NUANS search when you incorporated your company...

Create some literature, put the personal touch on it. Walk in to businesses, ask to speak to the office manager. Send out mailings, etc...

Sales is a numbers game, gotta keep doing it, and learn as you go.

ormhelmanuel
05-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Company is not yet incorporated, I do recognize the benefits to this as well as the downsides. For the time being it's going to be a proprietorship.
Definitely am going to try going into business', thanks for the advice.

A790
05-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Residential or commercial? I grew Neatfreak 380k in a 12 month period using a combination of SEO/SEM and referral networks.

You need a website and to be licensed, bonded, insured before you'll be taken seriously. Period.

JRSC00LUDE
05-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Unlicensed, unbonded, uninsured AND staffed by university students?

You wouldn't come within a mile of my house or business.

guessboi
05-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Do you have experience doing this?
Start with a business plan.
If you are hiring employees - you need to do reference checks especially you are entering other people's homes and businesses.

Your business name won't work - come up with a different name...a quick Google search "Pristine Clean" and I see 3 similar ones on the first page.

I would suggest you watch a bit of dragon den on youtube before you start doing any thing. :D

Sugarphreak
05-09-2014, 10:59 PM

ormhelmanuel
05-10-2014, 03:59 AM
@A790 Neatfreak actually looks great, definitely am going to work more on the business.

Thanks for the replies

revelations
05-10-2014, 11:05 AM
OP if youre going to go the cheapest possible way then expect a ton of clients in the NE.

If thats the name you want to keep and keeping with a cheap business model .... then dont bother with anything official or legal.

If you do, Pristine Cleaning can come after you, legally for infringement.

ormhelmanuel
05-10-2014, 11:57 AM
I did realize that, thanks for all the advice. Definitely have to reevaluate what i'm doing atm. It's a learning process right haha.