PDA

View Full Version : Head Phone Leakage

chathamf
05-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Just picked up a pair of over ear headphones at Winners for a steal of a deal. Put them on and noticed the sound leaks a lot. Is this normal? See lots of people at the gym with Beats and whatnot and havent noticed sound. Is it just so loud I dont notice? I dont want to bother everyone with my tunes.

revelations
05-10-2014, 04:01 PM
hoooo boy ... first world problems again!

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/first-world-problems-0.jpg

chathamf
05-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the input.

colinxx235
05-10-2014, 04:09 PM
oh man.... if you think beats don't leak, you must be hard of hearing lol

my over ears can be heard from the other room if someone is wearing them...

chathamf
05-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Haha okay so I guess I shouldn't be too worried eh.

relyt92
05-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Totally depends on the headphones. My main headphones are open ones so you can hear anything I hear, but I don't use those in public either.

BananaFob
05-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
Totally depends on the headphones. My main headphones are open ones so you can hear anything I hear, but I don't use those in public either.

+1

There's a few different types of headphones:

In-ear (least leakage usually)
On-ear (lots of leakage)
Over-Ear. These can be closed back, or open back with the opens having lots of leakage.

Personally, I think you're a dick if you're using on-ears or open back headphones in public :p

syscal
05-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Apple headphones are the worst. I'm fairly certain it's on purpose to make people notice that you bought something Apple but it drives me nuts.

Kavy
05-11-2014, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by BananaFob

+1

There's a few different types of headphones:

In-ear (least leakage usually)
On-ear (lots of leakage)
Over-Ear. These can be closed back, or open back with the opens having lots of leakage.

Personally, I think you're a dick if you're using on-ears or open back headphones in public :p

Most mid to high end on ears do not bleed. They are designed to create a seal between the pad driver and the ear. Cheap flat driver on ear headphones will bleed. You are correct in most cases however as people tend to buy beats or similar which do not provide a proper seal.

Source : I work in production and have used hundreds of different headphones.

OP, over ears can bleed sound a lot if they are cheap and the bridge does not provide enough pressure to keep them tight on your ears.

chathamf
05-11-2014, 09:21 AM
I was mostly just worried about bothering people at the gym, but I guess if Im not bothered by all the brahs with Beats lol then it's likely too loud at the gym to notice really anyways.